ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Very nice 41102. Christmas in New York City. My wife’s aunt who lives on the upper east side of Manhattan has a Christmas party every year. We’ve made it about half the time over the past two decades —did make it last year, the day Kentucky crushed UNC-Cheats. Not going this year because of my hip surgery.

Everyone should do it once.
No thanks. The only time I was in NYC was military related. Had a layover there, but never left the airport. Caught one of the first successful 747 flights across the Atlantic. We had some minor issues but didn't have to turn back.

My double smoked ham with pineapple heat glaze, and turkey breast using dan o's seasoning turned out perfect.

Unbuckle those belts and eat hardy my friends...

316280047_10229683114040302_1621577905944679713_n.jpg
My turkey. Simple recipe, rub with olive oil, salt and pepper then smoke with apple wood. Moist as can be if you don't cook it above 165 degrees.
316424982_5617537671695104_1700459679783639600_n.jpg

Last edited:
We didn't have a TV till the late fifties. We always had the holiday dinners at one of my grandparents. I don't recall them ever having a TV, thus no ball games.the women cooked, the kids played outside and the men went hunting. After about 11 or so, I got to join in with the hunting.
Very similar to my background except I did not have the grandparents (I knew my maternal grandmother, she died when I was 14). The women cooking, the men hunting etc. was exactly what happen with my family.

Uncle Elmer's farm was the most productive for rabbits and quail. It was ill kept and the animals loved it.

Good morning D-League. We currently have 53° and rain sprinkles here in Eastern Kentucky. This afternoon the rain tapers off, giving way to cloudy skies and a high of 56°.

Hard to believe another Thanksgiving came and went. It's always been my favorite holiday.

Have a great day.

gettyimages-531367747-1574369097.jpg
My favorite too, always has been. If we had Friday off after fine, if not, most of the time we still had Saturday and Sunday off so, along with the food being great, it was also good to have more than one day off.

Very similar to my background except I did not have the grandparents (I knew my maternal grandmother, she died when I was 14). The women cooking, the men hunting etc. was exactly what happen with my family.

Uncle Elmer's farm was the most productive for rabbits and quail. It was ill kept and the animals loved it.
I rabbit hunted with Dad, Uncle, cousins and little brother when I was younger on Thanksgiving Day.

After getting married I duck hunted with my wife's cousins on Thanksgiving and then traveled to my parents the day after.

Now we skip the hunting and go to my parents. We had 41 in every nook and cranny yesterday.

I rabbit hunted with Dad, Uncle, cousins and little brother when I was younger on Thanksgiving Day.

After getting married I duck hunted with my wife's cousins on Thanksgiving and then traveled to my parents the day after.

Now we skip the hunting and go to my parents. We had 41 in every nook and cranny yesterday.
My first gun was on my 8th birthday. A 410.

That’s about the same with me Bert.

Just got off the phone with my dad, and coincidentally we talked shotguns. He’s got an old L.C. Smith 12 gauge double barrel I loved as a kid. I used to hunt with it until he bought me an Ithaca Model 37 pump 12 gauge I’ve kept in pristine condition for over 50 years now.

When we’d hunt together he used his Remington Automatic. But his favorite gun is one his favorite uncle gave him years ago. It’s a 12 gauge double barrel with cocking hammers. It’s been in the family since his grandfather bought it in a hardware store in Cynthiana brand new in 1907 —for $7.50. Love stories like that.

Doyle Givens
Sam Brown
Rick Ealy
Rodney & Mike Wilder
Lewis Lingar
The guy that owned the pawn shop in Mboro forever. I can't remember his name.

Did you know any Atkins or Estes

Remember the Catholic or Presbyterian church in Middlesboro? They put storm windows across all the stained glass on the steeple. I installed them. The fire department setup their long truck mounted ladder for me to be able to install the tallest parts the rest I did from a ladder.

I worked for Jim Barnes as his installer. (He made windows.)(I think he was a preacher too.)

Funny thing though on that job, I remember the window peaks were rounded. To get the storm windows to fit Jim cut bunched of slats in the frame so it could be molded. Then he caulked the seams with brown caulk. I told him then it looked shoddy but he said it was so high no one would notice. I did though...

I guess it worked though I thought it should have been welded(aluminum) and sanded. I was an adept welder at the time though in my teens I welded on box cars for two years in Michigan by that time... Just remembering...

One of his son's was Troy Barnes.

Last edited:
15 and it was a .22 caliber rifle. Squirrel, rabbit, dove, turtles, and anything I could see as long as it was stationary. I used to buy as many 100 count .22 long rifle shells I could afford and spent a lot of time learning how to shoot accurately. Used my stepfathers 30.06 as well but those rounds of course were more expensive so, shot less of those.

A 410 here also. I was always better with a shotgun or later something like an M-60 where the trail of bullets would lead you to the targets. At some bases we'd do a lot of harassment and interdiction, so lots of practice. With other weapons, just average. I'd never used a handgun till police school. We had to qualify with a S@W 38 police special. I did average right-handed, then they said qualify lefty. My first shot hit the ground about halfway to the target. Eventually I got average. Reckon I was a pretty average guy.

A 410 here also. I was always better with a shotgun or later something like an M-60 where the trail of bullets would lead you to the targets. At some bases we'd do a lot of harassment and interdiction, so lots of practice. With other weapons, just average. I'd never used a handgun till police school. We had to qualify with a S@W 38 police special. I did average right-handed, then they said qualify lefty. My first shot hit the ground about halfway to the target. Eventually I got average. Reckon I was a pretty average guy.

Sir,

In the brief encounters I've read and have observed you are anything but "average"...

Take a few minutes and listen to this, yeah, I am thankful ..

Take a few minutes and listen to this, yeah, I am thankful ..

I watched the Ted Strong video,haven't had time for the second yet. Ted is an amazing man. We were set up by a retired vet at a craft show a couple of years ago. He had taken some serious injuries in Iraq and was in a hospital in Germany for a long time. He told me Trump had flown his family back and forth to visit him a couple of different times free of charge and Trump had done so for others. People like that gave infinitely more than me. KK sang Why me Lord, what have I ever done to deserve even one of the pleasures I have known. that song kept running through my head as I cut firewood today. Trust me, I'm very average.

I watched the Ted Strong video,haven't had time for the second yet. Ted is an amazing man. We were set up by a retired vet at a craft show a couple of years ago. He had taken some serious injuries in Iraq and was in a hospital in Germany for a long time. He told me Trump had flown his family back and forth to visit him a couple of different times free of charge and Trump had done so for others. People like that gave infinitely more than me. KK sang Why me Lord, what have I ever done to deserve even one of the pleasures I have known. that song kept running through my head as I cut firewood today. Trust me, I'm very average.

Sir,

I will strive to be average as well. I will fail but I will try to attain your stature in my eyes. My brother (BIL) since I was about 9 or 10 was a Vietnam veteran and I KNOW I will never achieve his accomplishments God rest his soul. Just from how you have carried yourself here, I can state what I've stated. God Bless you Sir!

A .22 was the first gun I ever shot as a kid but we always had various guns in the house so I never really had a true "first" gun I guess.

My grandpa gave me a 30-30. By a bad turn that rifle was sold. I never take too much stock in material possessions but I'd sure like to have been able to have kept that rifle. It was used and wasn't much to look at but that didn't matter.

My Dad also gave me a 4-10 same situation. The only thing I ever wanted back was the 30-30.

My Dad gave me a small pocket knife a long time ago. I treasured that knife but gave it to my older brother a few years ago on purpose. It was right to do and I am thankful...

Saluting-Legionnaire.jpg

Morning Legionnaires!

Raining this morning with temp in the mid 40's. High to be in the upper 40's so, not much movement. Rain expected off and on all day.

Yesterday late afternoon wife wanted to put together a cabinet set she bought online over a year ago. Been stored (boxed up) in the garage up against the wall. I told her we would probably only get one done, but she insisted we would get both. After getting the first one done, (taking a couple of hours) and then clearing the area she wanted it to be put (taking more time), she decided it would be best to wait until this morning to do the other one. That may or may not happen as her mother and brother are coming over (again) around noon and she will not be up until about 0900 or later (stayed up late with daughter) and will drink some coffee before moving about.

So much for decorating for Christmas today. That will have to happen tomorrow, maybe. In any sense, I told her last night that everything for me shuts down at 1330 so I can prepare for the game. She just shook her head and said: "Sports".

You guys relax out there (as much as you can with the game and all) and travelers be safe and God Bless.

Oh and yeah! IT'S GAME DAY!
Game-day.gif

Good morning from Nolin Lake near Anneta, KY. Currently 33°F and foggy. Today's high expected around 61°F.

Game Day. Beat the Cards! Finish this season strong.

I drove straight out from Middlesboro area yesterday. Quick trip. Made the drive in under 4 hours.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

Cake-Day.jpg

Good morning, D, read Galatians 3 this morning.

I have enjoyed your talk about your first guns, my first one was a Fox double barrel 20, 2 triggers, left was modified, back trigger, right barrel full choke, front trigger. I lost it when had a boating accident on the Green River in 1967, lost my baby brother that day, barge swamped our boat. Other guns most of them are Remington 243, 20 auto, 222 and a 22 pump. I also have my DAD's 22 rifle, it is a bolt action, the type that you have to pull the firing pin back to fire it, I think to put it on safety you have to turn the action a quarter turn to the right. I also have a 22 pistol, H&R 939 with a rectangular barrel, nice little pistol. This pistol is worth a lot more now than when I bought it. I think I gave $69 for it back in the 70's at K-Mart.

Back to the old grind today really, grinding glass, making more ornaments, candy canes and a dog paw. We put up our tree, got it decorated, when we counted what we had left, we had 94.

I hope everyone of the D had a great day on Thanksgiving. Later D!!!!!

Good morning, D, read Galatians 3 this morning.

I have enjoyed your talk about your first guns, my first one was a Fox double barrel 20, 2 triggers, left was modified, back trigger, right barrel full choke, front trigger. I lost it when had a boating accident on the Green River in 1967, lost my baby brother that day, barge swamped our boat. Other guns most of them are Remington 243, 20 auto, 222 and a 22 pump. I also have my DAD's 22 rifle, it is a bolt action, the type that you have to pull the firing pin back to fire it, I think to put it on safety you have to turn the action a quarter turn to the right. I also have a 22 pistol, H&R 939 with a rectangular barrel, nice little pistol. This pistol is worth a lot more now than when I bought it. I think I gave $69 for it back in the 70's at K-Mart.

Back to the old grind today really, grinding glass, making more ornaments, candy canes and a dog paw. We put up our tree, got it decorated, when we counted what we had left, we had 94.

I hope everyone of the D had a great day on Thanksgiving. Later D!!!!!
So sorry to read about your little brother.

Your Dad's gun may be a Winchester Mod. 67. There were a few types made like this, but I use to collect Winchesters and still have a 67 or 2.

My first gun was a H&R foldable 410. My little brother (17 yrs younger) used it and then a nephew and now it's gone. No one "knew" what happened to it. I would have given plenty to have gotten it back.

So sorry to read about your little brother.

Your Dad's gun may be a Winchester Mod. 67. There were a few types made like this, but I use to collect Winchesters and still have a 67 or 2.

My first gun was a H&R foldable 410. My little brother (17 yrs younger) used it and then a nephew and now it's gone. No one "knew" what happened to it. I would have given plenty to have gotten it back.
Never goes away Storm, that was 1967 and every time I cross the Green River going into Ohio county or to Livermore it brings that day back.

Watched an Andrea Bocelli Concert on PBS last night from 2011 in Central Park. They had crowd shots at times & interestingly The Donald & Melania were in the first row. He looked the same with thicker hair but she looked like a kid. Hair parted in middle and long down over the front of her shoulders. Reminded me of 1960's hippie style.

Looks like we might have a good game brewing in Columbus. The Buckeyes dominated most of the first half, but Michigan has tied it 10-10 with a 70-yard touchdown resulting from a failed blitz and a missed tackle. Feels like the kind of play that can really define a game.

Don't like either team, but probably dislike Harbaugh and Michigan more.

UPDATE: And just like that, another 80-yard TD and Michigan leads. Crazy game. OSU has dominated the half and trail 17-13.

Last edited:
Looks like we might have a good game brewing in Columbus. The Buckeyes dominated most of the first half, but Michigan has tied it 10-10 with a 70-yard touchdown resulting from a failed blitz and a missed tackle. Feels like the kind of play that can really define a game.

Don't like either team, but probably dislike Harbaugh and Michigan more.

UPDATE: And just like that, another 80-yard TD and Michigan leads. Crazy game. OSU has dominated the half and trail 17-13.

Bo Schembechler and Woody Hayes.... those were games to remember. (Not that later games are inconsequential...)

Wife just let out a scream while clearing out a space for the other cabinet that I had almost completely put together before she woke up this morning. A larger than normal size brown recluse went into the box she was about to go into. I had to take the box outside and empty the contents while she watched. When I got a mattress cover out of the box the spider jumped off of the cover and ran towards her. LOL! She screamed again, took off her shoe and was slapping around at it. She eventually got it and told me it was not funny. I could not help myself. I told her that next time just let me handle it outside.

Wife just let out a scream while clearing out a space for the other cabinet that I had almost completely put together before she woke up this morning. A larger than normal size brown recluse went into the box she was about to go into. I had to take the box outside and empty the contents while she watched. When I got a mattress cover out of the box the spider jumped off of the cover and ran towards her. LOL! She screamed again, took off her shoe and was slapping around at it. She eventually got it and told me it was not funny. I could not help myself. I told her that next time just let me handle it outside.

Not sure if wolf spider is the proper name, but when I lived in Ohio for almost 3 years...at first my place was filled with them, I had these sticky pads put out in 2 or 3 places and the pad would just be filled with a dozen dead spiders. I think they are mostly harmless to humans but I swear they were the fastest spiders I have ever seen, you would try to kill one and it would take off like it was Randall Cobb.

Those can sure cause some damage... (I know them well...) The fiddle is very distinguishable...

brown-recluse-spider-hanging-in-web.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT