ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

And my other cousin on the Red Carpet. She too is a huge UK fan. Her father was my daddy's brother and the whole family bleeds blue. Kentucky blue. It is hard to believe Debbie is 63 years old and is already drawing social security. Time sure does fly.

314885758_2446428722165267_8821964440926287369_n.jpg
Good looking women, of course.

I married a Kentucky woman.

Once they get their hooks in you; you are finished!

Glad to see DJ Wagner on board. I think this is Calipari's best class, and to have it all locked down by early November is extraordinary.

* Edwards is seriously Cal's best small forward recruit since Michael Kidd-Gilchrist.
* Some recruiting services have Aaron Bradshaw ranked #1. That puts him in the conversation with some pretty remarkable Cal recruits like Davis, Noel and Towns.
* Wagner is ranked #1 by some other services. He and Dillingham may well be the highest ranked pair of guards Kentucky has recruited since Wall and Bledsoe.
* Reed Sheppard really impresses me. He strikes me as being in the mode of some lesser heralded Cal recruits who were underrated -- like SGA and Tyler Herro.
* And then there is UGO, recruited for next year, but who has already forced himself onto the floor for this year. The only concern with him is that he doesn't show so much promise the NBA poaches him before next year. I actually think he'll stick around. Guys like Oscar, Bacot and Timme show that the NBA is reluctant to pull the trigger on big men early.

This guy pulls out in front of me on my way home today, which led to me braking hard and hitting my horn. Well the guy starts throwing up his arms when he gets beside me, so I roll the window down and he wants to know why I blew the horn. I said you cut me off back there, and his comeback was "who wants to wait 15 minutes to pull out". I use to love driving, but anymore I despise it because of people like this.

This guy pulls out in front of me on my way home today, which led to me braking hard and hitting my horn. Well the guy starts throwing up his arms when he gets beside me, so I roll the window down and he wants to know why I blew the horn. I said you cut me off back there, and his comeback was "who wants to wait 15 minutes to pull out". I use to love driving, but anymore I despise it because of people like this.
We made a trip south of Nashville Saturday for my moms 95th birthday. Got to deal with the interstate traffic. Its full of folks who think they are NASCAR drivers weaving in and out of traffic.

$45 for 2-4 oz Maryland crab cakes? Guys in that part of the world help me out.

https://www.cameronsseafood.com/buy-seafood-online/maryland-crab-cake/jumbo/

I'll stick with a $9.99 Whopper meal (For two). (I love seafood of many kinds and I don't mind people getting rich but, not all off me.) I said the same thing to customers when I was in the bug business. "I want to make money and I want to get rich but I don't want to do that just off you (Speaking to the customer.)."

I do without several things I like, not that I can't afford them but because the things I wanted are now, more than they are worth... to me...

Last edited:
COVID has me all confused. UK has 5 players listed as seniors. Oscar, Reeves, Wheeler, Toppin and C.J.. Do any of these players gain an extra year? If not then it'll be another really young team. Talented as hell but young.
From the way I understand it, they could all comeback. It would be nice to get at least a couple of them back.

COVID has me all confused. UK has 5 players listed as seniors. Oscar, Reeves, Wheeler, Toppin and C.J.. Do any of these players gain an extra year? If not then it'll be another really young team. Talented as hell but young.
CJ is playing his 3rd collegiate season this year. He never saw any official game time last season. CJ red-shirted 2018-19 at Iowa and played two seasons with Hawkeyes. He should be eligible for a COVID year.

Wheeler is playing his 4th season this year. He should be eligible for a 5th season.

Reeves is eligible for a COVID year, and so are Toppin and Oscar.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 39°F and mostly cloudy. Strong wind out of the north. Today's high expected around 54°F. Pup barked and scratched at door soon after letting her out. So it's chilly out.

Cats vs Spartans tonight at 6 CST in Indy. Collins should be back. Oscar still day-to-day. Go Cats!

Packing a little after work for trip back east. Ready for another journey.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

debba8bffb8dd3682ed5bdeb265f8f8f.png

Last edited:
I'll stick with a $9.99 Whopper meal (For two). (I love seafood of many kinds and I don't mind people getting rich but, not all off me.) I said the same thing to customers when I was in the bug business. "I want to make money and I want to get rich but I don't want to do that just off you (Speaking to the customer.)."

I do without several things I like, not that I can't afford them but because the things I wanted are now, more than they are worth... to me...
I am simple when it comes to food (and many other things). Beans, potatoes, meat, eggs, and a few other things is all I need. I rarely eat lobster or crab when I go to Red Lobster (once a year, anniversary) I generally get the admiral's feast and take some of it home for later. My daughter gets the lobster or crab. My favorite fast food is KFC, but they too are getting expensive.

I am simple when it comes to food (and many other things). Beans, potatoes, meat, eggs, and a few other things is all I need. I rarely eat lobster or crab when I go to Red Lobster (once a year, anniversary) I generally get the admiral's feast and take some of it home for later. My daughter gets the lobster or crab. My favorite fast food is KFC, but they too are getting expensive.

I've been simplifying my meals. Ate some homemade bread and drank some water last night for dinner. I'm going to try fasting for 3 days at a time soon. Hope I'm still married after that. (I.get.grumpy.)

Good morning everyone.

I'm taking the day off from hunting today. I don't want to sit in the rain all day.

It's all about value (well 90% anyway) for me when eating out. Being the oldest of 8 kids I have always watched my money. It allowed me to retire at 55. That and marrying the right woman the first time. I tell my younger friends that that is the most important financial decision you can make.

GAME DAY!! Don't forget Canada when discussing the seniors. He may be a walk on, but he's a 4th year senior at KY. That's a unicorn now days. Ware may be the first non KY scholarship player under Cal to make it 4 years.

I've been simplifying my meals. Ate some homemade bread and drank some water last night for dinner. I'm going to try fasting for 3 days at a time soon. Hope I'm still married after that. (I.get.grumpy.)
Yeah, fasting does that to me too. Think about it for a moment though. There are many things in the world today that point to the existence of God because the bible speaks of these things. Fasting is just one of many, and now doctors, nutritionist, and others suggest that we need do it for overall health and resetting of the system. Go figure.

Last edited:
Saluting-Legionnaire.jpg

Morning Legionnaires!

Temp in the mid 20's right now with a high of 48° expected. Moderate winds and partial cloudiness will have it feeling like 30's all day. The monster who has a lot of fur stayed out almost all night. She comes back in early morning to be with us but then goes back out because she loves the colder weather.

You guys stay warm today and God Bless.

And yes, there is an Oh, and by the way: IT'S GAME DAY!

Game-day.gif

Last edited:
Good morning folks. Hope all is well.

Getting colder in the east. And gray.

So the basketball season starts in earnest tonight. I hope this is the beginning of one we remember, like 66, 75, 78, 92, 96, 98, 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, a few others. We Kentucky fans have been blessed with good memories.

Concentrating on work today in hopes of getting out early Friday for a quick trip to the Bluegrass state. I’ll check in with you all later.

Good Morning D

67° at the present and it will be 80° around noon with a 15% chance of rain.

I am going to fine tune my irrigation system this morning. 40 sprinkler heads and 12 zones. A couple of sprinkler heads will be replaced but the zones are working without incident so that will probably just be a visual inspection.

This time last year I was going through the horror of replacing my well and the months it took to get it done. There were so many new residential homes going up that well diggers couldn't keep up with the work.

I too am a simple man when it comes to eating. I am lucky to have fresh, never frozen seafood. available year round which is my favorite food. Well it is probably tied with beef and pork. Hard to pick a favorite food.

If I want fancy food I can get everything I want down in Tampa or Pinellas County. It is a bit of a drive but worth it due to the quality of the restaurants. My favorite being Columbia in Ybor City. It has been there since 1905. Time tested to say the least.

I trust all are well and in good spirits.

iu

iu

Good morning folks. Hope all is well.

Getting colder in the east. And gray.

So the basketball season starts in earnest tonight. I hope this is the beginning of one we remember, like 66, 75, 78, 92, 96, 98, 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, a few others. We Kentucky fans have been blessed with good memories.

Concentrating on work today in hopes of getting out early Friday for a quick trip to the Bluegrass state. I’ll check in with you all later.
Some of us older guys remember a little further back. My cousin and I used to pretend we were Johnny Cox and Vernon Hatton in our driveway games. I recall the older folks discussing the merits of Groza and Beard.

Some of us older guys remember a little further back. My cousin and I used to pretend we were Johnny Cox and Vernon Hatton in our driveway games. I recall the older folks discussing the merits of Groza and Beard.
Yeah, that’s a great thing about being a Kentucky fan, Bernie. While Rupp’s Runts were the first team I remember from TV games and Cawood broadcasts, I recall my uncles and father sitting around talking about Beard and Cox and Hatton’s shot, and Cotton Nash and Cliff Hagan and on and on. When I stepped into Kentucky fandom it was like entering a river already wide and deep.

Last edited:
My first UK hero was Ralph Beard. He was a champion and would have been an immortal had he been allowed to play in the NBA. Bob Cousy became the premier point guard during that era and Beard was better and proved it.

I doubt many UK fans today have heard of this man and know just how dominant he was in college basketball. UK does a horrible job of remembering and promoting their history.

iu

I would love to know just how good Beard was? I've read a lot about him (love the history of UK BB) but would like to know how he compares to the more recent guards. Recent = 70's and beyond for me. I can remember back to mid 70's.
I cringe when I see lists of "All Time Greats" and they only go back to a certain decade. Some of those lists I see now don't even go back to the years beginning with a 1. lol

Yeah, that’s a great thing about being a Kentucky fan, Bernie. While Rupp’s Runts were the first team I remember from TV games and Cawood broadcasts, I recall my uncles and father sitting around talking about Beard and Cox and Hatton’s shot, and Cotton Nash and Cliff Hagan and and and on. When I stepped into Kentucky fandom it was like entering a river already wide and deep.

A bit before my time.

I would have thought this game was as a close to a sure thing as possible.

You and the team both. I warned people on the football board that this was no where close to a gimme. No one listened. We played like we thought it was a gimme, JUST LIKE we did when we played NIU. Vandy is better than anyone ever gives them credit for

Last edited:
My first UK hero was Ralph Beard. He was a champion and would have been an immortal had he been allowed to play in the NBA. Bob Cousy became the premier point guard during that era and Beard was better and proved it.

I doubt many UK fans today have heard of this man and know just how dominant he was in college basketball. UK does a horrible job of remembering and promoting their history.

iu
I've had the good fortune to play golf with Ralph Beard a few times. That's back when I played golf. Haven't played a round in 20 years. Great guy. Very humble and couldn't have been nicer.

iu
I remember a story about Bobby Knight bringing Ralph Beard in to talk with one of his Indiana basketball teams of the 1980s. He introduced Ralph Beard to his team as "The Michael Jordan of his time."

That story is in this appreciation of Beard by SI when he died.

When I visited it was a very somber place and there were many WWII Vets there. I went about 25 years ago.

Hawaii was a big spot for Japanese tourists then and as we moved in the line there was a very large group of Japanese tourist. They were laughing and very loud and not respectful of the scene below. I saw a few old vets looking in their direction and expected WWII to start all over again with the look on their face at the Japanese laughing tourist. They were livid and their faces turned beet red with rage.

It was touching and I could not hold back a tear as I went by and looked down at the Arizona. Maybe people of my age born during WWII have a different perspective on these things. We were raised in families that had fought in the South Pacific and carried the scars that lasted forever. I had four uncles in the Navy during WWII, all dead now. All were in very fierce battles at sea. They went in just carefree boys but came out hardened and tough as steel.

I am grateful and thank God for the military history in my family that goes back before the founding of our nation. When they died I promised to never forget. Never forget.

I'd have gone OFF on ANYONE over the age of 7 being disrespectful in such a manner. Wth... I grew up wishing I had been a gunner on the deck of one of the ships in the harbor Dec 7 1941. Made me so angry what the Japanese did that day back then, and that hasn't changed. Now that I know our gov knew it was coming and let it happen to get into the war, I am also angry for other reasons with no one left to direct it towards.

"East wind, rain"

God will punish those that left our men to die that day with no warning. I will be going to see the Arizona in person when I visit Hawaii to see my nephew stationed there and my grand niece. Will likely go alone once by myself to get the grief out of my system as best I can before I take my family there.

I have seen more jerks running stop signs and red lights the past few weeks than ever. The ones that jump in front of you to lake you slam on your brakes when there is no one behind you, also. When you combine that with the texting vidiots, it's making me want to buy an old V8 full size truck and just not slow down. I have to ask God's forgiveness for my thoughts and words so often these days, when I'm just driving to the store

I worked in Sales & Marketing at the railroad and we entertained folks in the best restaurants in North America and money was not the question. I never ordered lobster. If lobster was the only meat left I would eat it but there are so many better foods to my taste at a fraction of the cost. Crab cakes are good but I use them as an appetizer, not the main meal.

I am like you warrior cat; I love the basic foods. It is hard to beat beans and taters along with pork ribs, ham, good beef steak, prime rib, a good roast. I like TexMex, Italian et.al. but the exotic/expensive stuff they can keep and I will keep my money.

The best fried chicken, according to my taste, is still KFC original. Geeze is it good.

Rainy and 42.1°F (0.10" so far) on our way to a whopping hot 45°. We can sure use some good moisture. It is a good day to get ready for UK's first big game of the year.

I met Ralph Beard at the railroad back in the early 1970's. He had a hard time getting his business done as all of us were wanting to talk basketball. He tolerated the attention well.

I worked in Sales & Marketing at the railroad and we entertained folks in the best restaurants in North America and money was not the question. I never ordered lobster. If lobster was the only meat left I would eat it but there are so many better foods to my taste at a fraction of the cost. Crab cakes are good but I use them as an appetizer, not the main meal.

I am like you warrior cat; I love the basic foods. It is hard to beat beans and taters along with pork ribs, ham, good beef steak, prime rib, a good roast. I like TexMex, Italian et.al. but the exotic/expensive stuff they can keep and I will keep my money.

The best fried chicken, according to my taste, is still KFC original. Geeze is it good.
Add a simple but good tasting cornbread or biscuits with those meals and we are Gouda.

I just watched a highlight film of the 48 championship game and I think Groza and Beard could easily star today.
I appreciate all the old basketball, war, history posts here. My wife and I are "old souls" and most of our friends have always been a generation older than us. 58, am I the youngest that is in this thread right now?

Keep those stories coming.

I just watched a highlight film of the 48 championship game and I think Groza and Beard could easily star today.
I appreciate all the old basketball, war, history posts here. My wife and I are "old souls" and most of our friends have always been a generation older than us. 58, am I the youngest that is in this thread right now?

Keep those stories coming.
I am 76. My son is 55.

Looks like the Big O will get some minutes tonight. I wouldn't expect much from an ordinary player coming off a surgical tweak and without game conditioning -- but Big O ain't no typical hombre.

I'm a bit nervous about tonight. People are selling this Michigan State team short all over Rafters. But they had Gonzaga beat, leading by double-digits before losing by one point.

I'd love to see Kentucky live up to all the promise right off the bat and really get us juiced for the season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT