ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Only watched a little of the end of the game and it sure was ugly.

Deer hunted this morning and it was nice weather early but the rain and wind blew in. We didn't see any deer at all.

There are only 2 Arizona survivors left...Lou Conter and Kenneth Potts. Conter gave the eulogy at my cousin's interment back on the Arizona. I think he was 97 but didn't look to be 70. The newest Midway movie depicted The Great Escape when 7 (including my cousin) crossed a line thrown from another boat. The movie showed someone being shot while crossing which wasn't true. All 7 made it but one died soon after. Another of the 7 also wrote a book (All the Gallant Men) which is in the process of being made into a movie. I hope it gets done. I wish I had known my connection to Pearl Harbor sooner. My cousin got to meet President Trump when he and others pressed to get Joe George a medal. He is the one who threw the rope to the Arizona and made it possible for the 7 to escape. It worked. He received the Bronze Star.

Only watched a little of the end of the game and it sure was ugly.

Deer hunted this morning and it was nice weather early but the rain and wind blew in. We didn't see any deer at all.

There are only 2 Arizona survivors left...Lou Conter and Kenneth Potts. Conter gave the eulogy at my cousin's interment back on the Arizona. I think he was 97 but didn't look to be 70. The newest Midway movie depicted The Great Escape when 7 (including my cousin) crossed a line thrown from another boat. The movie showed someone being shot while crossing which wasn't true. All 7 made it but one died soon after. Another of the 7 also wrote a book (All the Gallant Men) which is in the process of being made into a movie. I hope it gets done. I wish I had known my connection to Pearl Harbor sooner. My cousin got to meet President Trump when he and others pressed to get Joe George a medal. He is the one who threw the rope to the Arizona and made it possible for the 7 to escape. It worked. He received the Bronze Star.
Great, great story.

Great, great story.
Yes it is.
1000w_q95.jpg

Trump-AP-17202700599206-5-1575695186.jpg

e8dbbf8b3e56fc4b46ddb82523056208e8984ee8157bc6f71a2f7c3a0b144d80.jpg

1d63bb6c31c20b26e0124e154e6d9ad1_-united-states-arizona-maricopa-county-phoenix-central-city-west-washington-street-1616-uss-arizona-memorial-at-bolin-memorial-park.jpg

1341697_wTcB2DgOmbPA3SBS9beaSlVwm5Fz4FPaF66S5J8ikXc.jpg

Wow too, I had a couple minutes and I scrolled through the first twenty pages of the D-League (I realize there was a change that caused a lot to be deleted, but this is the current pages available.) Liked some posts of a few that are still here posting. Don only posted twice in that twenty page span. I do hope he is okay as I remember a whole lot of his past posts in this and other forums.

(Just felt like the thing to do in honor of this site. Will probably start at page twenty-one when next I think of it.) To me the past matters. (The good and the bad to where you either draw from it to repeat a good thing or shun the bad things.)

A downer with this team... a reel shame as I think (In my untrained football mind.) this team is under-performing big time.. I will stop in this post. Have a good evening in what's left of it...

A little Viet Nam story. One night at DaNang, I was running late for guard mount and needed to go in the armory before it started. In those days, some of the blacks did long drawn out handshakes. They were in the door way doing one of those handshakes. I stood there for a few seconds waiting patiently, but as it became obvious to me they weren't letting me in, without thinking, I just gently lifted their arms and walked under them. It was no big deal to me. I just didn't want to be late.

Well there was an ongoing problem around the hooch area. A certain group would sit on the wooden sidewalks with their weapons and try and make white guys step off in the mud. The next morning after the guard mount episode, three white guys intercepted me on my way to the chow hall. I was the highest ranking non career man on the force and they asked me to lead a revolt against that group. I was non committal and knew I was screwed.

I reckon word had got around of the armory guard mount thing because by the end of the day, the brass had told me to pack my gear and put me on a chopper for Tan My. Now Tan My needed an assistant NCOIC of security, but was everything Connected or just a coincidence?

A little Viet Nam story. One night at DaNang, I was running late for guard mount and needed to go in the armory before it started. In those days, some of the blacks did long drawn out handshakes. They were in the door way doing one of those handshakes. I stood there for a few seconds waiting patiently, but as it became obvious to me they weren't letting me in, without thinking, I just gently lifted their arms and walked under them. It was no big deal to me. I just didn't want to be late.

Well there was an ongoing problem around the hooch area. A certain group would sit on the wooden sidewalks with their weapons and try and make white guys step off in the mud. The next morning after the guard mount episode, three white guys intercepted me on my way to the chow hall. I was the highest ranking non career man on the force and they asked me to lead a revolt against that group. I was non committal and knew I was screwed.

I reckon word had got around of the armory guard mount thing because by the end of the day, the brass had told me to pack my gear and put me on a chopper for Tan My. Now Tan My needed an assistant NCOIC of security, but was everything Connected or just a coincidence?
Great story Bernie! Sorry if I'm a day late but thank you and everyone else who served. Trust me. It will not be forgotten.

Last edited:

Bless you Sir!

Sir,

Not in war time but in the slums of Detroit, I lived the life few can imagine. I tell the stories when it comes up but I do not volunteer them. To this day blacks that are strangers to me are taken aback by me and the way I act.(I'm not the only one.) I notice it immediately though many try hiding it. Many I know in my heart immediately have the opinion/ feeling of, HOW DARE he act that way or say what he said. If they stay around me more than a few minutes though it becomes; he treats me just like I am him. (I do not fake it, the people closest to me now (Friend-wise) just happen to be black.)

When I was at Fort Bragg a couple black guys tried their crap. I called them on it in ways they were ashamed. (Back then you could still be made to be ashamed of your actions.) I enjoy watching those who do not know me, deal with me. It is nothing other than where I grew up. I jokingly tell some I come in contact with, I thought I was black until I got my driver's license.

I am a hood at heart with a southern accent. Some have a hard time dealing with me and I enjoy it.

Last edited:
My Dad was born in 1944...he took me to more UK football games than basketball. I actually didn't go to Rupp Arena many times until I became a UK student...my Dad did seem to love the SEC Tournament...I have been to like 10 of those. One time in elementary school, he came and got me out of school...I didn't know what was going in...my Dad seriously walked into the school office, said something about an emergency...we got in the car I was like is 'what's wrong?'...Dad just smiled and said something like 'Kentucky has a game'....it was NCAA Tournament first weekend when sometimes you get that noon game or 2pm haha. I thought I was the coolest kid ever, all those other suckers at school, I get to watch the game.

But Kentucky football is his true love, he has had season tickets my whole life, I don't know when he first got season tickets, he is having trouble walking now...doesn't matter, still gets season tickets even though he knows he will go to at most one game. He can't walk long distances.

He never cared about the NFL or NBA...ever. He only ever had 3 teams, UK basketball, STL Cardinals and UK football...2 of those have been very successful, one was bad for decades. And for some reason...that one that broke his heart a million times is his favorite. You would have thought the Cardinals lost a World Series game today, he was so heartbroken over the Vandy loss. I joke with him 'you would take an SEC championship in football over a basketball national championship any day' and he just laughs...

We kicked better today but the game was lost with the 4 FG attempts...you got to get in the end zone 2 of those times. You can't waste that field position. Levis might get murdered next week against Georgia...we can't block, even some early Mark Stoops teams that were going 5-7 had really good offensive lines, this is bad.

We joke and laugh about silly football games, I never saw a war...never wore a uniform, but an uncle of mine was in Vietnam, he never stop drinking afterwards, I'm not for sure if he had a problem beforehand, they couldn't get him to stop...he told my mom once 'you have no idea what I saw'...he died drunk, was always nice to me, I didn't know him well, But I'm sure that war f-cked him up.

We joke and laugh about silly football games, I never saw a war...never wore a uniform, but an uncle of mine was in Vietnam, he never stop drinking afterwards, I'm not for sure if he had a problem beforehand, they couldn't get him to stop...he told my mom once 'you have no idea what I saw'...he died drunk, was always nice to me, I didn't know him well, But I'm sure that war f-cked him up.
I stayed drunk or high for over ten years after I got home. Eventually the Lord had mercy on me and gave me the strength to quit.

I stayed drunk or high for over ten years after I got home. Eventually the Lord had mercy on me and gave me the strength to quit.

I'm glad you made it man..I think my uncle was a good guy, he didn't say much...I would see him at the holidays and he would ask how you doing? how things at UK? ...that was about it...your parents don't tell you everything, I picked up pieces over years, finally got most of the story...once I learned somethings, had so many questions, but he probably wouldn't have answered them...only thing I know, this guy didn't sit on a base, he went to gawd damn war...I don't know what happened, but he was never well afterwards.

Last edited:
I'm glad you made it man..I think my uncle was a good guy, he didn't say much...I would see him at the holidays and he would ask how you doing? how things at UK? ...that was about it...your parents don't tell you everything, I picked up pieces over years, finally got most of the story...once I learned somethings, had so many questions, but he probably wouldn't have answered them...only thing I know, this guy didn't sit on a base, he went to gawd damn war...I don't know what happened, but he was never well afterwards.
My first night in country we landed at Camnh Ranh Bay, A large distribution center. We got there about ten at night on a Flying Tiger. Flying Tigers are an interesting story in its on. There was a rocket attack in progress. We could see and hear the blasts on the plane. They herded us into A huge quonset hut where we were to spend the night. We were the first plane to arrive. we climbed up in the bleachers and tried to get comfortable. The rocket attack lasted till daylight. After awhile you didn't even pay any attention to the explosions.
You see a lot of stuff. I've seen a baby die, innocent civilians die and people tortured to death. On bad days, I can still hear the screams. ive heard a guys teeth chattering because he was so scared. I saw a 26 year vet with over a hundred men under his command get sent home because he was so scared he was seeing and hearing things that didnt exist. He was literally ordering men to shoot things that werent there and imagining they were shooting back at us. And I had it better than a lot of guys.

You see a lot of stuff. I've seen a baby die, innocent civilians die and people tortured to death. On bad days, I can still hear the screams.

Man I'm sorry you saw those things man, I'm seriously sorry...but it's instructive to the rest of us....I never saw a war zone, so much respect for you guys...you don't even know...I never saw anything like that. You guys saw and heard things we would never see...

Good morning D-League.

Thanks for sharing your stories Bernie. I can imagine it was a long road back to feeling at peace for you. Glad you made it.

Cloudy and cool in the east. Heading out for a walk. We’re about a month out from my hip surgery and the discomfort level is turning up a bit. I hope this ends up making a difference.

Catch up with you guys later.

Yes it is.
1000w_q95.jpg

Trump-AP-17202700599206-5-1575695186.jpg

e8dbbf8b3e56fc4b46ddb82523056208e8984ee8157bc6f71a2f7c3a0b144d80.jpg

1d63bb6c31c20b26e0124e154e6d9ad1_-united-states-arizona-maricopa-county-phoenix-central-city-west-washington-street-1616-uss-arizona-memorial-at-bolin-memorial-park.jpg

1341697_wTcB2DgOmbPA3SBS9beaSlVwm5Fz4FPaF66S5J8ikXc.jpg
Thank you Rooster. One day I may take the time to figure out how to post pics here. I have some of my Grandmother and Lauren when they are younger (50's).

Thanks for all the military stories from everyone here. Dad was in the Navy but was between Korea and Vietnam. I came very close to going to the Naval Academy but now happy that I didn't. Things have worked out great for me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT