ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

images
We lost some members of an M110A1 10-man artillery section from another battery in our battalion in Germany in the late 70's due to an explosion from a faulty round that exploded in the tube during a fire mission. They were on the other side of the tree line from the section I was in, and we heard and saw the explosion from a distance. 6 or 7 of those men (most we knew) died from the explosion. Tube of the howitzer was completely destroyed. The M110A1 is a big gun. Mine from the gulf war is pictured below with second picture being of the ammo for reference. Each M110A1 round weighs 208lbs.

IMG-20201210-175245291.jpg

IMG-20201210-175307293.jpg

I'm glad you made it man..I think my uncle was a good guy, he didn't say much...I would see him at the holidays and he would ask how you doing? how things at UK? ...that was about it...your parents don't tell you everything, I picked up pieces over years, finally got most of the story...once I learned somethings, had so many questions, but he probably wouldn't have answered them...only thing I know, this guy didn't sit on a base, he went to gawd damn war...I don't know what happened, but he was never well afterwards.
Also have an uncle who was in Vietnam in the marines. Does not talk much about what he went through either.

We joke and laugh about silly football games, I never saw a war...never wore a uniform, but an uncle of mine was in Vietnam, he never stop drinking afterwards, I'm not for sure if he had a problem beforehand, they couldn't get him to stop...he told my mom once 'you have no idea what I saw'...he died drunk, was always nice to me, I didn't know him well, But I'm sure that war f-cked him up.
The same thing happened to my father in law. He was never the same after WWII and serving in the South Pacific. He was in some of the fiercest battles of the war and was a sniper in a rifle company. We had no idea of his military career until his funeral. Other than he fought the Japanese. He never talked about it to me but a man I had never met got up to speak at his funeral and we all sat there amazed at the honors he was awarded. After the service I told my wife to get a copy of his DD214 or for WWII Vets the WD AGO. From there she started doing research and found he had been awarded two Bronze Stars with valor and one Silver Star. He never even hinted of his bravery during the war. All we knew what that he was an excellent shot. A few years after he died I spoke to his brother and asked him about it. He said Lester just wanted to forget but even the bottle couldn't make him forget.

Drinking led to his early death.

Thank you Rooster. One day I may take the time to figure out how to post pics here. I have some of my Grandmother and Lauren when they are younger (50's).

Thanks for all the military stories from everyone here. Dad was in the Navy but was between Korea and Vietnam. I came very close to going to the Naval Academy but now happy that I didn't. Things have worked out great for me.
Storm, I currently have a granddaughter at the Air Force Academy and her brother had an appointment to West Point but decided he wanted to go into medicine and passed on it. My mother had two cousins graduate from West Point. One of them was killed at Normandy and his father was on the staff of General Eisenhower and involved in the planning of the Normandy invasion. Where his son would die.

The sacrifices some of these men made are sobering. I doubt they teach the history of the U.S. in schools like they did when I was a child. We knew everything about Nazism and the evils of the Japanese and Germans. it was still fresh on America's mind and all of my classmates had fathers, uncles and cousins in the war.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 34°F and clear with light wind. Today's high expected around 58°F. Our indoor temperature = 63°F. Heat/AC are off.

Still disgusted by the Vandy loss yesterday. Sacks kept piling up. UGA probably favored by 20 or more next week. Plan on watching that game from Nolin Lake, KY.

A walk, various chores and grocery shopping on today's agenda. May watch some football.

Wishing happiness for all our fellow D-League members.

NATIONAL-INDIAN-PUDDING-DAY-%E2%80%93-November-13-1024x512.png

The weather:

Down here it is 68° with thunderstorms. Our high will hit 71° at 1:00 PM and the sun will be shining by noon.

The thoughts of losing to Vandy are still with me and I guess it was fitting to wake up to thunderstorms this morning. I have never been so disgusted with our offense in my life, especially the O Line. Just pathetic but the play calling is pathetic too. There are things you can do with a poor line when you have talent at the skill positions like the Cats have but it is not working.

I vote to replace our offensive coordinator. Again. Stoops has to get a grip on running an offense or UK will sink to the bottom of the SEC. It is a simple fact. THIS IS THE SEC, you better know how to put some points on the board. Right Tennessee?

@berniecarbo and other Vietnam vets, while I respect and thank all who served before me, I have the utmost respect for those who suffered through that war most of all and the mistreatment of them coming home. It still pisses me off when I think of the harsh treatment many of them suffered. When coming back from the Gulf we were greeted and applauded at every turn (too much really) and I believe it was to make up for the bad way you guys were treated.

A salute to you and all who suffered through the indignity you guys did.

The same thing happened to my father in law. He was never the same after WWII and serving in the South Pacific. He was in some of the fiercest battles of the war and was a sniper in a rifle company. We had no idea of his military career until his funeral. Other than he fought the Japanese. He never talked about it to me but a man I had never met got up to speak at his funeral and we all sat there amazed at the honors he was awarded. After the service I told my wife to get a copy of his DD214 or for WWII Vets the WD AGO. From there she started doing research and found he had been awarded two Bronze Stars with valor and one Silver Star. He never even hinted of his bravery during the war. All we knew what that he was an excellent shot. A few years after he died I spoke to his brother and asked him about it. He said Lester just wanted to forget but even the bottle couldn't make him forget.

Drinking led to his early death.

Great post. Guy sounded like a quiet hero...one reason we should not try to judge people...okay he drank a lot but then you have to say to yourself 'could you go handle what he went through?'

I sit next to this guy at a poker table once many years ago, and one guy at the table was bragging about being in Iraq...talk talk talk...and this guy was sitting next to me looked like a slightly heavier version of Clint Eastwood...and he said to me 'I think he is full of sh-t.'

I got the same vibe, thought the guy was a big talker but I don't know anything about war...the guy next to me only said 'I was a Marine, people that have been there don't talk like that'.

That's all he said the whole time.

Actually he did tell me in one hand...'fold kid'....and I folded haha...I don't think he was bluffing, I think he was saying 'I don't want your money' but if he was bluffing it worked.

Last edited:
A little Viet Nam story. One night at DaNang, I was running late for guard mount and needed to go in the armory before it started. In those days, some of the blacks did long drawn out handshakes. They were in the door way doing one of those handshakes. I stood there for a few seconds waiting patiently, but as it became obvious to me they weren't letting me in, without thinking, I just gently lifted their arms and walked under them. It was no big deal to me. I just didn't want to be late.

Well there was an ongoing problem around the hooch area. A certain group would sit on the wooden sidewalks with their weapons and try and make white guys step off in the mud. The next morning after the guard mount episode, three white guys intercepted me on my way to the chow hall. I was the highest ranking non career man on the force and they asked me to lead a revolt against that group. I was non committal and knew I was screwed.

I reckon word had got around of the armory guard mount thing because by the end of the day, the brass had told me to pack my gear and put me on a chopper for Tan My. Now Tan My needed an assistant NCOIC of security, but was everything Connected or just a coincidence?
Thanks for sharing your stories Bernie. One of the most heartfelt things I've ever watched was The Vietnam War documentary. Hearing the stories they told was truly emotional.

Last edited:
@berniecarbo and other Vietnam vets, while I respect and thank all who served before me, I have the utmost respect for those who suffered through that war most of all and the mistreatment of them coming home. It still pisses me off when I think of the harsh treatment many of them suffered. When coming back from the Gulf we were greeted and applauded at every turn (too much really) and I believe it was to make up for the bad way you guys were treated.

A salute to you and all who suffered through the indignity you guys did.
I consider myself lucky. I spent most of my tour doing security at a Coast Guard radar station. There was no GPS back then, so long range radar was extremely important and this was state of the art. They were offering some of the guys that really knew their stuff as much as 25 grand to re-up. As a contrast they offered me as a cop 200 bucks. They really took care of those guys, great food and a nice soft bed. Us cops got the same living conditions. We even had a soft ball team.

Guys were treated bad in big cities coming home, but I lived in a rural area and was treated pretty well. I wanted to surprise the folks so I didn't let them know I was on my way home. They were both at work, so I was going to wait on the front porch and surprise them. The local small airport was about ten miles from home, so I threw my duffel bag over my shoulder and was just going to enjoy the walk home. Just a few hundred yards from the airport, a farmer pulled over in his truck and insisted he would give me a ride. I really wanted to walk, but he was so nice I couldn't say no. He went out of his way to take me up the driveway to within a few feet of the front door.

Last edited:
What some of my relatives in Kentucky do when the season opens:

313763073_657931519241669_8201002085861337577_n.jpg
Looking good my man, the deep freeze will be full.

My wife did something at church that was a first for me this morning. I have been going to church all of my life and I never saw this.

For Christmas the church is sponsoring an African tribe and they requested livestock and other animals for Christmas presents this year. So my wife bought two goats.

They had a big board with all kinds of livestock. Cows, sheep, goats, donkeys and birds such as chickens, turkeys and geese . You walked up to the board and picked one and this would go to a person or family in Africa. They took photos of the animals available and they were posted on the board .

So she bought two goats for $40.00 each. Chickens were $4.00. Sheep $40, etc. We gave them names this morning "fiddle de dee and fiddle de doe" The Africans will use them for breeding and diary products such as milk and cheese. I like this idea of helping our fellow brothers and sisters because you are giving them something they need and will use.

iu

Last edited:
Looking good my man, the deep freeze will be full.

My wife did something at church that was a first for me this morning. I have been going to church all of my life and I never saw this.

For Christmas the church is sponsoring an African tribe and they requested livestock and other animals for Christmas presents this year. So my wife bought two goats.

They had a big board with all kinds of livestock. Cows, sheep, goats, donkeys and birds such as chickens, turkeys and geese . You walked up to the board and picked one and this would go to a person or family in Africa. They took photos of the animals available and they were posted on the board .

So she bought two goats for $40.00 each. Chickens were $4.00. Sheep $40, etc. We gave them names this morning "fiddle de dee and fiddle de doe" The Africans will use them for breeding and diary products such as milk and cheese. I like this idea of helping our fellow brothers and sisters because you are giving them something they need and will use.

iu

Doing that in that type of direct way Sir is what America was all about. Americans are generous and loving people. It took a band of thieves.... I will stop. Thank you to your wife....and you. 😉

Been a day, been a day... not bad, not okay. At least I am still on leave tomorrow....

(Still have two weeks of use or lose leave before the end of the year plus holidays...) 51 days until I have full retirement benefits. (Don't plan on retiring but who knows what's in store...)

Oh, I LIKE what I do... Just bummed out...(It will pass...)

Good Morning to the start of the week. Monday Monday

We have 55° at the present and should reach a high of 75° with cloudy skies and a 5% chance of rain.

I trust all are well and in good spirits. Still bummed about football but that is nothing new in the life of a UK football fan. Very frustrated with our offense. Something is amiss.

Have a nice day.

315221307_10222517651631578_485837899076090622_n.jpg

Saluting-Legionnaire.jpg

Morning Legionnaires!

29° this morning with light winds. High expected in the upper 30's with light rain or snow but no serious accumulation expected.

Having a new 75" Visio flat screen tv being delivered today from Sam's. Have a 60'' flat screen in the living room we have had for 10 years or more that my daughter loves to play video games on so, we will move that one to her room. We have the current one on a stand but, I was thinking about mounting the new one on the wall behind the stand.

Nothing more other than wishing all a good day and God Bless.

A bit late saying hello today. Incredibly busy morning so far.

Those are sure a couple attractive lady cousins of yours Sawnee. I'm glad they got to experience the red carpet treatment at the CMAs.

Trying to get a lot done in the net three and a half days so I can make a lightning strike to Kentucky on Friday, staying through the weekend. I'll go by Lexington and pick up my son then on to Campbell County -- the rural, southeastern part -- and see my parents and siblings. Looking forward to it as always.

I hope you all have a good day.

Good Afternoon everyone.

Another 4 hr sleep night and then 8 hours in the treestand. Saw plenty of action (fighting, chasing, etc) and 5 bucks within 15 yards. Biggest was an 8 pointer that I hope makes it through this year. If my wife or I don't get one in the next week or so those smaller ones better keep their distance from me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT