ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Hello all,

Been at it for sure but took a break. My Darling and I plan to try fishing and crabbing again tomorrow. A place called Point Lookout in Maryland. We got our appetite right and are slobbering.

This is right on the bay.... We shall see...

I have a bunch of use or lose so we will use it. Hopefully not too cold but we have the itch so....

Talk to you later today if the Lord doesn't take me home....

For those of you who don't visit Rafters, the Cats' new road uniforms have been unveiled. I love them. I could quibble, but as I said on rafters, quibbling about these uniforms after the ugly ass checkerboards is like quibbling about your new girlfriend Margot Robbie after you've spent six years with Rosie O'Donnell.

Last edited:
An update from the FDT. If you visit Sannibel Island you may be interested in the repairs of the causeway and bridges, They are progressing nicely and there is a good chance they can have it opened by the end of the month.

311574295_475323681303025_4285792926499606562_n.jpg

311420837_475323677969692_4276885121540338534_n.jpg
I am watching a Press Conference at this moment and in the back ground is a very long caravan crossing over into Sanibel Island. This caravan consists of 100's of utility trucks and other service vehicles to wrap up the restoration of power and other items for the residents and businesses in Sanibel and Captiva Islands.

The causeway is now scheduled to be ready for residential and other traffic by October 21. That my friend shows what a government can do for the people when everyone sets aside their egos and works as a team. We are blessed with fantastic leadership in the state I call home.

For those of you who don't visit Rafters, the Cats' new road uniforms have been unveiled. I love them. I could quibble, but as I said on rafters, quibbling about these uniforms after the ugly ass checkerboards is like quibbling about your new girlfriend Margot Robbie after you've spent six years with Rosie O'Donnell.

Brother MdW you slay me........... 😅 😅 😅 🤣 🤣 🤣

I am watching a Press Conference at this moment and in the back ground is a very long caravan crossing over into Sanibel Island. This caravan consists of 100's of utility trucks and other service vehicles to wrap up the restoration of power and other items for the residents and businesses in Sanibel and Captiva Islands.

The causeway is now scheduled to be ready for residential and other traffic by October 21. That my friend shows what a government can do for the people when everyone sets aside their egos and works as a team. We are blessed with fantastic leadership in the state I call home.

Yes Sir,

Check the ego's in any environment and be amazed at what you can accomplish! (Pay attention to the paycheck though when in "bidness"...)

Ted Williams was an avid fisherman, the warrior_cat of baseball. He came to this area of Florida in 1950 and became a familiar face the next 50 years. He loved fishing the Florida flats. He also was instrumental in the development of Citrus Hills a very nice community in Citrus County.

His influence was very significant. He sure did love to fish.

ted-williams-catches-a-fish.jpg
Well, hopefully some of his hitting prowess rubs off on me tonight as I have two games starting at 7:30pm and 8:30pm. Last week's 2-6 will not cut it for me.

Let's Play 2!

Hello all,

Been at it for sure but took a break. My Darling and I plan to try fishing and crabbing again tomorrow. A place called Point Lookout in Maryland. We got our appetite right and are slobbering.

This is right on the bay.... We shall see...

I have a bunch of use or lose so we will use it. Hopefully not too cold but we have the itch so....

Talk to you later today if the Lord doesn't take me home....
I plan on going back out tomorrow myself. Today was not fruitful as I only hooked and caught 2. No other bites. Both were well under a pound. I jumped 3 ponds today too.

:eek: I would not complain about Phillis Diller after 6 years of Rosie. Phyillis was actually funny.

Always love the history @berniecarbo...never heard that particular story of DiMaggio but always heard about his demand to be labeled the world's greatest living baseball player. Ted Williams on base percentage was incredible...I think Musial was just such a great guy, I remember when they did a documentary of him, there was a flight that Musial wasn't going to be on and a few of the Cardinal players were concerned...a little bit uneasy about a flight without Stan cause they felt Stan was 'protected' by the Almighty haha.

Speaking of Mickey Mantle, I do remember a piece about him and Stan spending some time together late in Mickey's life and Mickey admitting later if he had lived like Musial he probably would have put up way bigger stats.
Are you a Jeff Albert fan (Cards hitting coach for non Card fan readers)? I lOoked it up. His senior year of college, he hit .240. He played a little independent ball and hit .143.he's teaching major leaguers how to hit though.

Are you a Jeff Albert fan (Cards hitting coach for non Card fan readers)? I lOoked it up. His senior year of college, he hit .240. He played a little independent ball and hit .143.he's teaching major leaguers how to hit though.

That tends to run how things are going now Sir. I mean, with all the "experts" that haven't done squat, then telling business men and women who eat from what they make how to run their businesses. It is seriously angering to me to see any situation like you mention and I am actually in a great mood. ;)

Good morning from ATX. Currently 72°F and mostly cloudy. Today's high expected around 96°F challenging a record. We may receive some rain next week.

Utility rate hikes coming our way. Abnormally hot summer and war in Ukraine are blamed. Options under consideration are either $240 spread out over 12 months or $15/mo spread over 36 months. I'm thinking they go with the latter for more $$. Bah!

Happy Hump Day.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

NATIONAL-GUMBO-DAY-%E2%80%93-October-12-1024x512.png

Good morning from ATX. Currently 72°F and mostly cloudy. Today's high expected around 96°F challenging a record. We may receive some rain next week.

Utility rate hikes coming our way. Abnormally hot summer and war in Ukraine are blamed. Options under consideration are either $240 spread out over 12 months or $15/mo spread over 36 months. I'm thinking they go with the latter for more $$. Bah!

Happy Hump Day.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

NATIONAL-GUMBO-DAY-%E2%80%93-October-12-1024x512.png
I know what is for supper tonight. All I need is a little okra and I can make this. I am in the mood.

Good morning D-League.

I hope all is well with everyone.

Heading off to the subway in a few minutes. Long days this week as we wrap up a couple projects simultaneously.

I love these cold, clear October mornings. I can almost smell the burning leaves from my boyhood when everyone had a 55-gallon barrel in the corner of the back yard and incinerated stuff all the way through Thanksgiving. Of course that’s not permitted these days.

I think I’ll get up in the mountains this weekend and see if any trees are turning up there yet. Probably a week or so too soon but it’ll be lovely either way.

hope you all have a good day.

Morning Legionnaires!

High today expected in the low 80's with overnight being in the 60's. Winds are starting to pick up as they do this time of year.

We won our first game last night 27-4 and I went 2-2 with 3 walks. Second game we lost 18-15 and I was 1-4 with 1 walk. We had a 4-run lead in the last inning when they had 2 hits and an error from our 3rd baseman to load the bases. Then, for the first time ever since I started pitching, I walked the next three batters to bring them to within one run. Bases still loaded the next batter hits a grand slam. Not a banner night for me. But the saving grace is no one on our team really cared because it is the beer league and we just laughed it off and drank a couple of beers after the game. We are still leading the fall league.

May not go fishing today, really tired this morning. We will see in the next hour or so.

Stay safe out there and God bless.

Good morning

Current temperature is 69° and the high will be 82°. We have a 38% chance of rain this afternoon.

Today I have another rehab session on my left shoulder. The dang thing just doesn't want to act right. My range of motion is not good. Oh well,

For the good news. Down South of us the trucks in this picture started rolling in to Sanibel Island to restore power. A temporary bridge was built in less than a week. It is an amazing thing to watch.

Take care all,

311582629_10229796005390481_650292352539877287_n.jpg

Ted Williams was an avid fisherman, the warrior_cat of baseball. He came to this area of Florida in 1950 and became a familiar face the next 50 years. He loved fishing the Florida flats. He also was instrumental in the development of Citrus Hills a very nice community in Citrus County.

His influence was very significant. He sure did love to fish.

ted-williams-catches-a-fish.jpg
TW was ahead of his time - a Conserve who knew CA would turn into Dim hellhole. So even though in grew up in SD, made FL home early in his career.

Are you all into the baseball playoffs yet? There are so many rounds now, the games either starting too late for me to stay up or during my work day, and with no direct rooting interest, I've had trouble mustering much interest so far.

I was happy to see the Phillies beat the Braves in Game 1 of Round 2. I want the Braves knocked out as soon as possible, so one of the few things we Reds fans have to cling to stays intact -- Last National League team to win back-to-back championships.

Here's a stat that is initially hard to believe that some of you baseball guys might find interesting: If the Braves don't repeat, that'll mean the 75-76 Reds will be the only NL team to win it back-to-back in a full century. Last time it was done before the Reds was in 1921-22 by the New York Giants.

Last edited:
Hello,

My Darling and I arrived at the place we picked out but the pier was too far off the water to crab. We ended up back at the Naval Recreation facility but that's okay. We are the only ones here.

Not nearly as many biting as a few days ago but a couple we caught I thought were lobsters...😉

Still here so we shall see... No fish....yet...

So, unconfirmed reports suggest Kentucky will start playing Indiana again in basketball soon. Nothing I'm in favor of, but there have been some thrilling moments through the years, beginning with the 1975 Elite Eight classic in Dayton, through the December, 1996 mauling by Derek Anderson and Ron Mercer, to whipping their ass in the Sweet 16 on the way to the 2012 title...And on and on.

Here's a bit of comic relief I'll never forget...(not crazy about the goofy voice over, but you get the idea...)

Are you all into the baseball playoffs yet? There are so many rounds now, the games either starting too late for me to stay up or during my work day, and with no direct rooting interest, I've had trouble mustering much interest so far.

I was happy to see the Phillies beat the Braves in Game 1 of Round 2. I want the Braves knocked out as soon as possible, so one of the few things we Reds fans have to cling to stays intact -- Last National League team to win back-to-back championships.

Here's a stat that is initially hard to believe that some of you baseball guys might find interesting: If the Braves don't repeat, that'll mean the 75-76 Reds will be the only NL team to win it back-to-back in a full century. Last time it was done before the Reds was in 1921-22 by the New York Giants.
And the mighty Braves take game 2, 3-0.

:cool:

Good morning D-League.

The run of cool, clear days continues in the DMV.

Seeing my wife off to visit her aunt in NYC later this morning, and my daughter is heading to Philly tomorrow for a friend’ s wedding so I’ll be alone at the place this weekend. I was toying with the idea of making a run to Lexington to see my son, but work is too demanding right now.

Looking forward to BB Madness, even though it’s not really much about basketball. Still marks the start of something.

Hope it’s a good day for everyone.

Good morning. It is a sunny 54.1°F and we are to climb up to 69°. No chance of rain today, but we were gifted .41" yesterday afternoon. My grass was fighting over it!

I do not want UK to start a series with Indiana simply because of the way the last series ended. UK does not need Indiana. Hell I would prefer West Virginia or Illinois. If UK beat the crap out of them would good would it do UK?

This is Friday eve. Carry on.

Good morning. It is a sunny 54.1°F and we are to climb up to 69°. No chance of rain today, but we were gifted .41" yesterday afternoon. My grass was fighting over it!

I do not want UK to start a series with Indiana simply because of the way the last series ended. UK does not need Indiana. Hell I would prefer West Virginia or Illinois. If UK beat the crap out of them would good would it do UK?

This is Friday eve. Carry on.
I agree Bert. Once upon a time Indiana was the Cats biggest game of the year. It was the highlight of the year. Those days are gone and will not return.

I agree Bert. Once upon a time Indiana was the Cats biggest game of the year. It was the highlight of the year. Those days are gone and will not return.
Growing up along the Ohio River, I grew to hate the Hoosier fan base with a passion, and of course Bobby Knight after that time he slapped Joe B. on the back of the head.

A quick story about that: I went to work in the Washington bureau of the Scripps newspaper chain back in the 1990s as conflict zone reporter-- Ernie Pyle's old job in the same bureau though I couldn't shine his shoes.

The boss was this raging Indiana Hoosier grad who said he'd walked on the basketball team back in the late 1960s - pre-Bobby Knight. This was at the peak of Indiana's run -- they'd TIED Kentucky with five titles, and I had to listen to this pompous guy virtually every day of basketball season about how Indiana had passed Kentucky by.

BUT -- I started there in 1995, just before hoops season. And what neither of us could foresee was Indiana was heading into that deep slump that continues today, and Kentucky was starting a run of 95 Elite Eight, 96 National Champ, 97 Final Game, 98 National Champ, 99 Elite Eight. And of course, the Cats crushed Indiana head-to-head in those years. Damn, I loved giving back to the guy everything he'd given me and more.

By 1999, the last hoops season I worked there, the guy was so sick of me needling him about Kentucky that it had alienated both of us. I found another -- better -- job.

Afternoon Legionnaires!

83° right now close to todays expected high of 85° with tomorrow and Saturday closing out near or at 90°.

Did my Mr. Miyagi thing this morning (kind of). There were 7 seven students who showed up instead of one. My instructor brought his two nieces with him, and one niece brought 4 of her college friends. Surprise, surprise (in my best Gomer voice). They wanted to try it out and see if they wanted to join. We gave them a good workout before the actual karate lesson so, they may not come back even though all said they liked it. We will see.

Off the normal topic: I was cruising around YouTube when I saw a clip of Rob Schneider on Fox and friends this morning where he was talking about changing political parties citing how the left has just gone crazy. When he finished, he encouraged others to do the same by saying: "You can do it". A quote from his character in The Water Boy and the newer version of The Longest Yard.

Sneaking in an inning of playoff baseball here and there at work, trying to kick-start my interest. A buddy and me started talking about classic World Series of the past -- 1975, 1986, some others. When you get invested in baseball, and it is good, nothing can match that slow-burn drama that unfolds over ten days or so of a great Series. Maybe there will be one this year.

On that note, my buddy asked me a trivia question, which I got right: Which team has the longest active World Series win streak?

Would make a great bar bet.

Hello everyone,

One of those days where nearly every minute counted. Been at it since 0645 and got home around 1700. The BB and my youngest were here. (They still are.) I hadn't seen the BB this week so we had a fun time playing in between phone calls.... Just sat down at my computer. My Darling prepared Salmon today along with rice for me and the BB. We ate it. My daughter and My Darling had lobster (crab) stew and steamed crab. Kept going on about how much meat was on them and enjoying.

I plan to work from home tomorrow a half day and then take off.... Only the Shadow knows...........

barnabascollins.jpg

I know, I know...wrong shadow but this is a cool pic. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT