ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Good Morning All (GMA) (Heck, everything else has an acronym)

Slept in a little on this lazy type day. My youngest granddaughter is here in my office playing. Her Mom is working and her day care closed due to this serious national holiday. (The Lil BB), My Darling made her some banana pancakes. I had some cottage cheese, a couple biscuits, some rice cake, and coffee. (I will be full until 6 or so for sure...)

I think I am heading for my garage to align/ organize it better. I actually ALMOST have my office decently straightened for the first time in a long time.

Welp, My Darling decided we are going fishing Wednesday if the Lord doesn't take us home. (My Day is light and I can attend the one meeting on my phone.) I think we are headed to Point Lookout Park in Maryland. Seems to be a nice pier there and on a Wednesday I hope it is sparsely in use.

Have a "supper" day!

Ohhhhh SHOOT That Thang!!!!

Bill James tells in one of his books how in polls taken among fellow players in both the 1940's and the 1950's, Stan Musial was chosen as Player of the Decade. Some would argue it was because everyone loved Stan and Ted Williams spent time in both decades in war and he was not very well liked till he retired and Joe Dimaggio thought highly of himself. Joe used to advertise coffee makers on TV and was always called "world's greatest living player". A sports writer (can't recall who) told of a time they had Mickey Mantle day or something at Yankee Stadium and he emceed. At the end, he was to introduce Joe and Joe would make a short speech. He ended with "and now here is Joe DiMaggio.". Joe told him he wasn't going to talk and walked over with the other dignitaries. Later, Joe caught the writer alone in the hallways of the stadium, punched him in the stomach and said, "it's Joe DiMaggio worlds greatest living player."
Interesting DiMaggio story Bernie. As you may know, the writer Richard Ben Cramer wrote a biography of DiMaggio that is incredibly unflattering in places. I read it years ago, and was never able to shake my negative opinion of DiMaggio -- a jealous bully to women, especially Marilyn Monroe, obsessively greedy and cheap, petty, disloyal to old friends, and on and on.

I know it isn't fair to base an opinion off a book, but others have written even more unflattering things about DiMaggio. Appears to be enough smoke there that must have been fire.

Last edited:
Bill James tells in one of his books how in polls taken among fellow players in both the 1940's and the 1950's, Stan Musial was chosen as Player of the Decade. Some would argue it was because everyone loved Stan and Ted Williams spent time in both decades in war and he was not very well liked till he retired and Joe Dimaggio thought highly of himself. Joe used to advertise coffee makers on TV and was always called "world's greatest living player". A sports writer (can't recall who) told of a time they had Mickey Mantle day or something at Yankee Stadium and he emceed. At the end, he was to introduce Joe and Joe would make a short speech. He ended with "and now here is Joe DiMaggio.". Joe told him he wasn't going to talk and walked over with the other dignitaries. Later, Joe caught the writer alone in the hallways of the stadium, punched him in the stomach and said, "it's Joe DiMaggio worlds greatest living player."
They say DiMaggio made life for rookie Mickey Mantle hell. He would not talk to him and turned his back when he approached him. The story goes he saw Mantle in Spring Training and realized the talent he had and saw it as a threat. It was pure envy and mean spirited. DiMaggio was headed to the Hall of Fame and had no reason to be envious of anyone.

But his character would not allow him to share the "glory". Especially from a teenage rookie. .

In the 50's, you take Musial & I'll take Mays. Musial couldn't run or throw. Willie's WAR was 8-11, Musial 5-8.

6wetyz.jpg

In the 50's, you take Musial & I'll take Mays. Musial couldn't run or throw. Willie's WAR was 8-11, Musial 5-8.
By the late 50's, Stan was old and Mays was young. Perhaps some of the players used color to not vote for Mays, but Stan played the full decade and Mays missed a year or 2 and that's how the player vote came out.

The 40's was really Musial's heyday. Bill James (based on saber metrics) had in one 10 year period of the 40's into the early 50's, has Stan the top player in the NL 8 times, once in 2nd and once in the Navy for WW2. He was very fast when he broke in (his first nickname was the Donora Greyhound), but stolen bases was not a thing then. Someone like Reese usually led the NL with like 24 SB's. They were afraid their "stars" might get hurt stealing bases. In 42 and 43, James has Musial as the equivalent of a Gold Glove outfielder (#2 and #3 best defensive OF'er in the NL." Then the Cards asked him to replace Johnny Mize at 1B, so he had to learn a new position.

Edit to add, Mays missed all of 50, most of 52, all of 53 and only had a medium year in 51. Perhaps that also effected the voting. Mays really big string of years came in the early to mid 60's.

Last edited:
By the late 50's, Stan was old and Mays was young. Perhaps some of the players used color to not vote for Mays, but Stan played the full decade and Mays missed a year or 2 and that's how the player vote came out.

The 40's was really Musial's heyday. Bill James (based on saber metrics) had in one 10 year period of the 40's into the early 50's, has Stan the top player in the NL 8 times, once in 2nd and once in the Navy for WW2. He was very fast when he broke in (his first nickname was the Donora Greyhound), but stolen bases was not a thing then. Someone like Reese usually led the NL with like 24 SB's. They were afraid their "stars" might get hurt stealing bases. In 42 and 43, James has Musial as the equivalent of a Gold Glove outfielder (#2 and #3 best defensive OF'er in the NL." Then the Cards asked him to replace Johnny Mize at 1B, so he had to learn a new position.

Edit to add, Mays missed all of 50, most of 52, all of 53 and only had a medium year in 51. Perhaps that also effected the voting. Mays really big string of years came in the early to mid 60's.
Willie Mays basket catch in the 54' world series put him on the map so to say and on the lips of baseball fans. I think that catch has been replayed as much as the Lattener shot against the Cats.

In the 50's Mays was the third best centerfielder in New York. Behind Snider and Mick.

Willie Mays basket catch in the 54' world series put him on the map so to say and on the lips of baseball fans. I think that catch has been replayed as much as the Lattener shot against the Cats.

In the 50's Mays was the third best centerfielder in New York. Behind Snider and Mick.
Yep, I looked into it once for a discussion I was having. There was a period there were Snider had more rbi's and homers than Mays or Mantle. Of course he played at Ebbets Field (a real hitter's park).

Yep, I looked into it once for a discussion I was having. There was a period there were Snider had more rbi's and homers than Mays or Mantle. Of course he played at Ebbets Field (a real hitter's park).

I am enjoying these baseball conversations, not that it matters what I enjoy. It is baseball I remember when players played to play. My earliest memories are of Al Kaline turning down 100k annually because he stated he wasn't worth it. (Now Al Kaline wasn't a fan favorite for those that knew him as he was arrogant to fans many times but back then I knew of his sons Mike and Mark and his wife Louise just because he was a Detroit Tiger player and a good one to state the least. Willie Horton and even Ron LeFlore (Yeah criminal Ron Leflore who played good for the Tigers a couple years.) Who can forget Mark "The Bird" Fidrych who died when a car he was working on fell on him.

All I can see now is the love of money corrupting so many people and so many things. I like making a good living, don't get me wrong but I am not about money. There has to be more than "money"... or things... jmo...

Off my soap box, please keep posting....

Somehow, I took a 1/16" wide & deep chuck out of a front upper last week. Today, dentist ground the opening smooth, applied layers of polymer, then smoothed that out. 15 minutes. $316. Good news is the polymer changes color to match the tooth no matter how its color changes. That sure makes it worth it.

Always love the history @berniecarbo...never heard that particular story of DiMaggio but always heard about his demand to be labeled the world's greatest living baseball player. Ted Williams on base percentage was incredible...I think Musial was just such a great guy, I remember when they did a documentary of him, there was a flight that Musial wasn't going to be on and a few of the Cardinal players were concerned...a little bit uneasy about a flight without Stan cause they felt Stan was 'protected' by the Almighty haha.

Speaking of Mickey Mantle, I do remember a piece about him and Stan spending some time together late in Mickey's life and Mickey admitting later if he had lived like Musial he probably would have put up way bigger stats.

Last edited:
It is a pleasant 57° and clear and our high should reach 85° with no chance of rain. I have more PT today on that dad gum left shoulder of mine. We are trying to get it in shape without the need for surgery. I am resisting surgery because I have been cut enough for one lifetime.

I am not convinced the UK football team has the guts to come back and beat Mississippi State. The coaches have a lot of work to do. They were not ready to play Saturday night and if you can't get up for an SEC game and give your all in front of a sold out stadium, bless your heart. Stoops better take a hard look at that coaching staff. He has some slackers around him with no fire in their belly.

And forget about life time contracts. We have had one coach burn us on that deal so a lesson learned.

I trust all are well.
309912578_6221782394505784_508626220613721067_n.jpg
Beautiful image!

Always love the history @berniecarbo...never heard that particular story of DiMaggio but always heard about his demand to be labeled the world's greatest living baseball player. Ted Williams on base percentage was incredible...I think Musial was just such a great guy, I remember when they did a documentary of him, there was a flight that Musial wasn't going to be on and a few of the Cardinal players were concerned...a little bit uneasy about a flight without Stan cause they felt Stan was 'protected' by the Almighty haha.

Speaking of Mickey Mantle, I do remember a piece about him and Stan spending some time together late in Mickey's life and Mickey admitting later if he had lived like Musial he probably would have put up way bigger stats.
People in Mantles family often died early. He expected he would die early to. He said the breakfast of champions was a steak sandwich and a six pack.

Ted could hit. As a kid, he used to pay the neighbourhood kids to let him hit. He said he wanted to someday walk down the street and have people say, there goes the greatest hitter who ever lived. He came awful close if he didt make it Btw when he was playing, he said if he wasn't the best hitter in baseball, then Stan was. Ted said his biggest regret in baseball was he didn't put more effort into defense. When in a mood, he'd turn his back to the CFer signifying anything behind me is yours. Jim Piersall, his CF said he should get two salaries because he had to play two positions.

Interesting. Was just walking the dogs and the neighbor was getting his mail. He showed me a 3 by 5 post card that was for jury duty. It said he had a week to reply to the notice. What happens if he doesn't reply? He was saying, and I kind of agree, that it could easily be shuffled up with junk mail and thrown out without him looking at it. Wonder what they'd do if he didn't respond?

People in Mantles family often died early. He expected he would die early to. He said the breakfast of champions was a steak sandwich and a six pack.

Ted could hit. As a kid, he used to pay the neighbourhood kids to let him hit. He said he wanted to someday walk down the street and have people say, there goes the greatest hitter who ever lived. He came awful close if he didt make it Btw when he was playing, he said if he wasn't the best hitter in baseball, then Stan was. Ted said his biggest regret in baseball was he didn't put more effort into defense. When in a mood, he'd turn his back to the CFer signifying anything behind me is yours. Jim Piersall, his CF said he should get two salaries because he had to play two positions.

Yeah, I think I read when Billy Martin got married Mickey admitted he was so drunk he didn't remember it...I do think he was a fatalist who thought he would die young and thus he lived life fast and hard. I wasn't judging him, imagine if you were Mickey Mantle in New York...endless temptation, plus the history of the Mantle men dying early...that is a recipe for some wild good times.

It may sound weird, but for someone far to young to see or read about those guys when they played...Ted Williams seemed like John Wayne, Mickey Mantle seemed like this amazing hero/anti-hero type, and Stan Musial seemed like an underrated great one who was the ultimate gentleman.

Yeah, I think I read when Billy Martin got married Mickey admitted he was so drunk he didn't remember it...I do think he was a fatalist who thought he would die young and thus he lived life fast and hard. I wasn't judging him, imagine if you were Mickey Mantle in New York...endless temptation, plus the history of the Mantle men dying early...that is a recipe for some wild good times.

It may sound weird, but for someone far to young to see or read about those guys when they played...Ted Williams seemed like John Wayne, Mickey Mantle seemed like this amazing hero/anti-hero type, and Stan Musial seemed like an underrated great one who was the ultimate gentleman.
Anyone who loves baseball should buy the Bill James 2000 Baseball Abstract. Lots of great stories. He tells a story about the young Ted Williams as a minor leaguer. Ted got mad over something minor and didn't put out any defensive effort, causing his team to lose. an older teammate proceeded to beat the crap out of him. His manager had to pull the player off of Ted.

Hadn't heard that, I guess my Ted Williams/John Wayne image was rooted more in his war pilot stuff.

During his time as captain of the Marine Corps, Williams earned a number of prestigious awards including the Presidential Medal of Freedom, three Air Medals for Aerial Flight Operations, Navy Unit commendation, American and Asian Pacific Campaign Medal, World War II Victory Medal, National Defense Service Medal, and more.

It was in Korea where Williams met John Glenn, the future astronaut and U.S. senator. They quickly became good friends, and Williams flew half his missions as Glenn's wingman.

“I had been a baseball fan since I was a boy, and meeting Ted was a thrill,” Glenn recalled in his autobiography, John Glenn: A Memoir. “He was tall, genial, and easy to like, and he developed a voracious taste for the chocolate fudge [my wife's] sister, Jane, would send from home. … He was a fine pilot, and I liked to fly with him.”

Williams flew 39 combat missions in Korea and experienced his share of harrowing moments.

“Ted got hit on one of his first missions,” Glenn noted in his memoir. “He was streaming smoke and fire from around the engine, which in a Panther usually signaled an explosion that would blow the tail off.”

Williams' radio was out, so the other pilots flew close and signaled for him to eject. But Williams decided to attempt a return to Seoul instead. It was a shaky trip, made all the more so because Williams' plane had no landing flaps, and its landing gear wouldn't come down.

“He bellied in at 150 miles an hour or more, slid up the runway for two thousand feet, came to a stop, jumped out of the cockpit and off the wing, and ran until he was out of danger,” Glenn wrote. “Then he turned around and stood there watching the plane burn on the runway.”

Williams received a hero's welcome when he returned to baseball at the end of the 1953 season, but he refused the title.

“I was no hero,” he once told reporters, according to a report on MLB.com. “There were maybe 75 pilots in our two squadrons and 99 percent of them did a better job than I did. But I liked flying. It was the second-best thing that ever happened to me. If I hadn't had baseball to come back home to, I might have gone on as a Marine pilot.”

In a column Williams wrote for The Boston Globe in1962, following Glenn's historic orbit around the Earth aboard Friendship 7, he said: “[Glenn] was a man destined for something great; it was an intuitive feeling I had. John always had exceptional self-control and was one of the calmest men I have ever met, no matter how perilous the situation.”

The respect was mutual. Upon hearing that the only thing Williams wanted out of life was to walk down the street and hear people say, “There goes the greatest hitter who ever lived,” Glenn wrote. “In my book, he made that hands down. And there was certainly nothing 'bush' about him as a Marine combat pilot; he gave flying the same perfectionist's attention he gave to his hitting.”
Yes, the years Ted gave up for his country in his prime would have given him even more amazing stats.

Interesting. Was just walking the dogs and the neighbor was getting his mail. He showed me a 3 by 5 post card that was for jury duty. It said he had a week to reply to the notice. What happens if he doesn't reply? He was saying, and I kind of agree, that it could easily be shuffled up with junk mail and thrown out without him looking at it. Wonder what they'd do if he didn't respond?
He'll be held in contempt of court and fined, sent to jail, or both. He just needs his employer to write a letter for him and he should be able to get out of it. That's what I had to do earlier this year.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 66°F and clear. Today's high estimated at around 90°F. Moderate wildfire risk.

Local news just said goal is for 100% of Austin Independent School District (AISD) public school buses to be electric by 2030. Considering grid concerns earlier this year, good luck with that. Current school bus driver shortage, too.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

befunky-design5.jpg

Morning Legionnaires!

61° this morning with the high in the mid 80's expected. Slight chance of rain (much more needed) but, I will still attempt fishing this morning after my workout.

Not much else going on so...out to the shop for strength training and then on to the pond/s.

Enjoy your Tuesday/Monday folks.

God Bless.

Good morning D League. Lovely day in the east -cool and clear, my favorite weather of the year.

Getting excited about the coming hoops season. I liked what I saw in that 3.30 pro day video, and yeah I know those things are mostly useless. But what you can see is a remarkably athletic team that is also experienced and mature and that appears to attack without hesitating.

Otherwise, really busy at work-in early and out late -so I’ll wish you guys well and get to it.

Good Morning All,

It is clear and 58° in my neighborhood as we move up to 86° this afternoon. I have a truck load of white sand that I am going to use to level my yard. Sand works best to get it nice and smooth. So today is nice day for that.

I really enjoyed listening to and watching these two baseball announcers. Baseball was king in those days and it sure was fun growing up with them calling the action on CBS. Fun days. I trust all are well.

311066752_1904219156446719_1845300781658984033_n.png

Ted Williams was an avid fisherman, the warrior_cat of baseball. He came to this area of Florida in 1950 and became a familiar face the next 50 years. He loved fishing the Florida flats. He also was instrumental in the development of Citrus Hills a very nice community in Citrus County.

His influence was very significant. He sure did love to fish.

ted-williams-catches-a-fish.jpg

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT