ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Hello everyone,

One of those days where nearly every minute counted. Been at it since 0645 and got home around 1700. The BB and my youngest were here. (They still are.) I hadn't seen the BB this week so we had a fun time playing in between phone calls.... Just sat down at my computer. My Darling prepared Salmon today along with rice for me and the BB. We ate it. My daughter and My Darling had lobster (crab) stew and steamed crab. Kept going on about how much meat was on them and enjoying.

I plan to work from home tomorrow a half day and then take off.... Only the Shadow knows...........

barnabascollins.jpg

I know, I know...wrong shadow but this is a cool pic. ;)
OK Barnabas. So, BB stands for Barnabas. I thought it stood for boogerbutt. Who knew. 😋

Good morning from ATX. Currently 64°F and clear. Today's high topping out around 90°F. Cooling down next week with a chance for rain. We're going on roughly 40 days since our last rainfall.

Big Blue Madness tonight. We'll tune in.

Happy Friday, y'all.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

befunky-design9.jpg

Good morning D-League. Cool and cloudy today, nice October weather.

Had a pleasant surprise today when I checked the deposit of my two-week paycheck: I've hit the part of the year where they have gouged me enough for Medicare and Social Security taxes so I got to keep a small but not insignificant amount more of my own money. Not enough to match Biden-Flation. But better than nothing.

Big Blue Madness day. Not that into the razzle-dazzle and speechifying part, but just glad to see another season roll around. This basketball program has brought a lot of joy to my family back to the days before I was born when my uncle Garnett Hause was one of the five Bracken County boys Rupp offered as a group in 1944 after seeing them play. THat team was consensus best in the state from what I read, but got upset in the Sweet 16 in Lexington - something my uncle never lived down.

By the way -- no one was interested enough to guess, but I'm giving the answer anyway to my trivia question.

Which Major League team has the existing record for most consecutive World Series wins - still intact?

The Cincinnati Reds. The last World Serries game they lost was the Carlton Fisk home run game in 1975.

They won that seventh game. They swept the Yankees in 1976, and swept the Athletics in 1990. Nine wins and counting.

By the way, here's a news account of that 1944 Brooksville High School (now Bracken County) team that Rupp liked so much he offered scholarships to all five starters.

Not all those guys played much at all -- remember, Kentucky already had the guys who'd go on to win back-to-back championships, including some coming back from the Army. My uncle played on the freshman team as I was told, got hurt, got drafted, and didn't come back to UK and finish - not as a basketball player -- until later.

But he was on that team that accomplished something no other Kentucky high school team ever did - motivating Rupp to sign them all.

Had a pleasant surprise today when I checked the deposit of my two-week paycheck: I've hit the part of the year where they have gouged me enough for Medicare and Social Security taxes so I got to keep a small but not insignificant amount more of my own money. Not enough to match Biden-Flation. But better than nothing.

Big Blue Madness day. Not that into the razzle-dazzle and speechifying part, but just glad to see another season roll around. This basketball program has brought a lot of joy to my family back to the days before I was born when my uncle Garnett Hause was one of the five Bracken County boys Rupp offered as a group in 1944 after seeing them play. THat team was consensus best in the state from what I read, but got upset in the Sweet 16 in Lexington - something my uncle never lived down.

By the way -- no one was interested enough to guess, but I'm giving the answer anyway to my trivia question.

Which Major League team has the existing record for most consecutive World Series wins - still intact?

The Cincinnati Reds. The last World Series game they lost was the Carlton Fisk home run game in 1975.

They won that seventh game. They swept the Yankees in 1976, and swept the Athletics in 1990. Nine wins and counting.

HAHA, (Good Morning all.)

You made me check my statement too Sir! Cha Ching.... (Forgot all about that.)... Working a half day today, I have two meetings I need to attend. Have a great day!

Good morning D-Leaguens. It is a sunny 45.9°F here. We were 40° when I first got up. We are only going to get to 72.

I will judicially watch Big Blue Madness as I have never missed one or the old Midnight Madness's, but it is never very revealing. The Blue White game is being streamed and I hate that. ESPN is making it harder to follow UK year by year.

Thanks MdWildcat for the information on the REDS. Interesting.

Good morning D-League. It's 43° and fair here in Eastern Kentucky. This afternoon will bring sunny skies and a high of 67°.

TGIF

Everyone stay safe on this Friday.

Statue-liberty-57a5b5a25f9b58974aee7d01.jpg
Nice photo of the harbor 41102. My wife is up in NYC as we speak, taking a stroll around the Upper East Side which is where her aunt lives she is staying with. She just texted me this tree-obscured shot of the Mayor's house - Gracie Mansion. Looks like a nice day in the Big Apple.

The Cincinnati Reds. The last World Serries game they lost was the Carlton Fisk home run game in 1975.

Yeah, I knew the answer to the World Series question because in an earlier post you alluded to that. What threw me off was that you ask it again not long after and I thought perhaps I misread or misunderstood the question, and it was a trick one. Just thinking too much into it I guess.

Nice photo of the harbor 41102. My wife is up in NYC as we speak, taking a stroll around the Upper East Side which is where her aunt lives she is staying with. She just texted me this tree-obscured shot of the Mayor's house - Gracie Mansion. Looks like a nice day in the Big Apple.
I'm wanting to go back and see more of NYC. We spent all of time in Manhattan last time, and we still missed out things. So on our next visit, I plan on venturing more into Brooklyn and Queens. There's so much to see and do there.

I'm wanting to go back and see more of NYC. We spent all of time in Manhattan last time, and we still missed out things. So on our next visit, I plan on venturing more into Brooklyn and Queens. There's so much to see and do there.
Be very careful and make sure you are in a group or not alone. Things have deteriorated in New York City and it is not safe.

Back years ago I was working in New Jersey on assignment. After a couple of weeks my wife and son drove up to join me. We were staying in Atlantic City, NJ. One weekend she said she would like to go to New York City so early on Sunday morning I drove her into the city. It was fairly quiet for New York City and all was well. I am driving through the city when suddenly a delivery truck in front of me slammed on his brakes. I did the same and came within a hair of rear ending him. I felt something slide from under the seat and it came to rest on the gas pedal. I looked down and it was my wife's .38 Smith & Wesson Special. I freaked out. I had no idea she had brought her pistol with her on the trip

Then I explained to her we were very quietly driving out of the place and explained to her the laws up there were crazy and they would arrest you for possession, no questions asked. You go straight to jail. She had no clue and could not believe it.

I was shaking all over driving back to New Jersey just knowing I was going to get pulled over for something. We went straight to the hotel and put the fire arm in a locked suit case. You have to watch these Kentucky girls when you go on a trip.

Be very careful and make sure you are in a group or not alone. Things have deteriorated in New York City and it is not safe.

Back years ago I was working in New Jersey on assignment. After a couple of weeks my wife and son drove up to join me. We were staying in Atlantic City, NJ. One weekend she said she would like to go to New York City so early on Sunday morning I drove her into the city. It was fairly quiet for New York City and all was well. I am driving through the city when suddenly a delivery truck in front of me slammed on his brakes. I did the same and came within a hair of rear ending him. I felt something slide from under the seat and it came to rest on the gas pedal. I looked down and it was my wife's .38 Smith & Wesson Special. I freaked out. I had no idea she had brought her pistol with her on the trip

Then I explained to her we were very quietly driving out of the place and explained to her the laws up there were crazy and they would arrest you for possession, no questions asked. You go straight to jail. She had no clue and could not believe it.

I was shaking all over driving back to New Jersey just knowing I was going to get pulled over for something. We went straight to the hotel and put the fire arm in a locked suit case. You have to watch these Kentucky girls when you go on a trip.
It's went downhill a lot since our visit in 2019. I constantly see people getting randomly attacked for nothing, especially on the subway. I'm hoping things will get better in the next few years so I can go back, but I'm doubtful.

When I retired I vowed, short of being abducted at gun point, to never go back to two places: NYC and LA.

So far I have kept my vow.

The two worst cities I have ever been to. The first time I ever saw a human turd on a sidewalk was in NYC in 1968. Over the years I went there, and the human turds were always there. The stench of urine was there also. Then try catching a cab. Good luck. The poor folks that have to live there have my prayers. It is a human cesspool in my view. Smiths Grove is far, far, far, far better.

When I retired I vowed, short of being abducted at gun point, to never go back to two places: NYC and LA.

So far I have kept my vow.

The two worst cities I have ever been to. The first time I ever saw a human turd on a sidewalk was in NYC in 1968. Over the years I went there, and the human turds were always there. The stench of urine was there also. Then try catching a cab. Good luck. The poor folks that have to live there have my prayers. It is a human cesspool in my view. Smiths Grove is far, far, far, far better.
Smith Grove has my vote Bert. When I think of Americana I think of a nice community like Smiths Grove.

I agree on LA. I never want to go back there. EVER. I had family go there in the 1960's but I see my last cousin moved out a few years ago and settled in East Tennessee to retire in the mountains. He finally had enough.

Following the Rodney King ordeal I had to work in South Central LA for months. I had mult-million dollars in damages to inspect and evaluate so off I went. When we got there we met with the Attorney General of the State of California. There were less than 25 of us assigned out there. He gave us the guidelines on what we had to do and what we could not do. He warned us any trouble and the fingers would be pointed at us.

First we could not wear the colors red, blue or black. Red and blue were gang colors and they both considered black as sacred since they were black. So a white man could not wear a black jacket or suit coat. Second we could not work before 10:00 AM or later than 3:00 PM. There was a 5 hour window that most of the gang members and druggies were not active. Third we could not work alone. We had to go in teams of two. Fifth we could not wear a baseball cap or any head gear. Gangs have special ways of wearing their caps and if you by chance had yours like theirs they would kill you or beat you half to death. And finally we had to hire armed body guards to accompany us into South Central. We had to hire two to go with us. One guarded us and the second our car. We paid off duty LA police officers $500 per hour to guard us.

The things I saw out there would be the subject of a good book. I found out the University of Southern California, USC, was in the middle of a ghetto. On tthe campus were military vehicles armed to the 10th degree and hundreds of police officers were in the area. It was surreal. You would think you were in a third world country military zone. Why anyone would attend USC is a mystery to me. I would rather be in Ukraine.

Smith Grove has my vote Bert. When I think of Americana I think of a nice community like Smiths Grove.

I agree on LA. I never want to go back there. EVER. I had family go there in the 1960's but I see my last cousin moved out a few years ago and settled in East Tennessee to retire in the mountains. He finally had enough.

Following the Rodney King ordeal I had to work in South Central LA for months. I had mult-million dollars in damages to inspect and evaluate so off I went. When we got there we met with the Attorney General of the State of California. There were less than 25 of us assigned out there. He gave us the guidelines on what we had to do and what we could not do. He warned us any trouble and the fingers would be pointed at us.

First we could not wear the colors red, blue or black. Red and blue were gang colors and they both considered black as sacred since they were black. So a white man could not wear a black jacket or suit coat. Second we could not work before 10:00 AM or later than 3:00 PM. There was a 5 hour window that most of the gang members and druggies were not active. Third we could not work alone. We had to go in teams of two. Fifth we could not wear a baseball cap or any head gear. Gangs have special ways of wearing their caps and if you by chance had yours like theirs they would kill you or beat you half to death. And finally we had to hire armed body guards to accompany us into South Central. We had to hire two to go with us. One guarded us and the second our car. We paid off duty LA police officers $500 per hour to guard us.

The things I saw out there would be the subject of a good book. I found out the University of Southern California, USC, was in the middle of a ghetto. On tthe campus were military vehicles armed to the 10th degree and hundreds of police officers were in the area. It was surreal. You would think you were in a third world country military zone. Why anyone would attend USC is a mystery to me. I would rather be in Ukraine.
In the late 60's-early 70's, big cities everywhere were offering military policemen jobs with an early discharge and a sign on bonus if they would sign a contract. Los Angelos was one of them. This hillbilly said no thanks in a big hurry. I'm wondering if that's happening again today.

In the late 60's-early 70's, big cities everywhere were offering military policemen jobs with an early discharge and a sign on bonus if they would sign a contract. Los Angelos was one of them. This hillbilly said no thanks in a big hurry. I'm wondering if that's happening again today.
i am not sure but Florida is offering a $5,000 bonus. The gov had a press conference today and announced the first payments in Cape Coral.

I was raised in a town of 900 called Silver Grove -- close enough to Smith's Grove in style if not geographically I reckon. We never had a stoplight til years after I left and the Dari Bar is still the only fine dining spot.

That said, if sworn under oath, I'd admit I had some pretty good times through the years in both NYC and LA, with no real negative encounters -- the usual city hustlers in New York and terrible traffic in LA, but nothing I couldn't handle.

Still, deep down, if I could only live one place, I'd pick a small town.

They used to play this song during the 7th Inning Stretch at Baltimore Oriole games -- now there is a city with some dark corners. But the fans loved to sing along. Who could deny the message?

Morning Legionnaires!

Weather going to be hot today with 90's expected and then cooling off later this evening with a possibility of severe weather (storms with high winds and hail). If it is late this evening (storms), I will not be here to post the celebratory artillery barrage when we score because I am helping with a black belt test for a friend starting late in the afternoon. If the weather starts earlier, I stay at home and fire away

Watched BBM last night and was not aware that Oscar was sitting out due to minor knee surgery. He is supposed to be good by our first game even though I would not be unhappy if he was given more time to recover since we should not need him for that one.

Oh and yeah, It's game day!

Game-day.gif

Good morning D-League. Out for a walk and noticing lots of color in the trees for the first time. Pretty.

Cool, clear weather in the east.

Nervous about the football Cats today. Feels like the season is teetering, but a win today would get things somewhat on track and at least generate some hope for the Tennessee game.

Not much to say about “BB Madness” but it looks like there are some shooters. Antonio Reeves got a 19 in the 3-point contest and beat CJ Fredrick. And plenty of athleticism on display. No one got hurt -that’s key.

I hope it’s a good day for all.

Good Saturday morning D

It is yard work for me this morning and it should be a nice day for it. We have 67° and it is a little overcast. They say a cold front is headed here which will drop the temperatures a little. It is sunny this morning but this afternoon clouds will move in to give us a 24% cloud cover. The temperature will be 84°. At 4:00 PM we will have a 25% chance of rain.

I trust all are well and gave a nice day. The coffee tastes extra good this morning.

309592160_6202248579792499_608793804908479612_n.jpg

Good morning from ATX. Currently 72°F and cloudy. Today's high estimated around 93°F.

Game Day! Cats are 4-point underdogs against MissSt last I checked. A win would sure be nice. Hope O-line issues got fixed. 25 sacks allowed though 6 games is unacceptable and dangerous for a QB. Go Cats!

Big Blue Madness: Reeves lights the nets up. Wow. He'll win some games for UK. Love Kyra Elzy's intro and positivity. Otherwise, meh.

Heading out for a walk in a few and then chores later. May hit up Zaxby's or BBQ for eats.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

DpkFuavWwAE33eG.jpg

I have a big pot of Spanish Bean Soup (garbonzo) simmering. I will press some buttered Cuban bread and enjoy. This is an old family recipe that is easy and never fails.

I am ready for some football. That Tennessee - Alabama game should be fun to watch. Don't be shocked if UT comes away with a win.

ebb263b6fd2ce7f8b5310f1c08ad3fc2.jpg
I feel the same way about the Alabama-Tennessee game. With it being at Neyland Stadium and with Bryce Young still not at 100%, a Vols win wouldn't shock me either. Now hopefully Alabama beats them by 30+, so we don't hear Rocky Top all game.

I have the weird feeling...I don't think we can beat Tennessee if don't win today...the Ole Miss loss is on everyone, the coaches f-cked that up, Levis hurt us with fumbles...the kicking game cost us points...that was a close game we will all be sick about for a while...South Carolina is different, backup QB starting his first game, the first play of the game was one of the stupidest plays I ever saw but the coaches get a pass on that one...but THIS is the game...win this.. team gets confidence and we can get back on track...9 or 10 wins is possible, lose today...7-5 at best...at best.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT