ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Sawnee -- The first "Big Time" college football game I ever saw was in the fall of 1976 in Gainesville, whatever stadium Florida had then.

I had met a UF co-ed on spring break earlier that year, and we'd stayed in touch. She invited me down to stay in Beatty Towers - then the high-rise female dorm - for a weekend. And we went to see a Florida-LSU game. What a spectacle. For the first time I understood SEC Madness.

Wish I could be there with you and your friends on 9/10, but I'll be hoping you have a great -- and rewarding -- day.
One of the most enjoyable regular season games I have attended in my life was 1977 in Gainesville. It was our 10-1 undefeated SEC season. I went with a car load of Gator fans from the office. They invited me to sit in the Florida section where they had season tickets. They were confident Florida would roll over the, as they called us "yankee cats", because it was 95 degrees and probably over 100 on the field. And it was humid as humid gets. They knew Kentucky would melt on the field and Florida would coast to victory. Not that year Sports Fans.

When it was obvious UK was the strongest team and was not going to melt away, they fans became very vocal and mad at their Gators. With two or three minutes left in the game several fans started yelling it was time to "lynch" Coach Doug Dickey. String him up the yelled. Several pulled off their belts and waved it at the Florida bench. Doug Dickey was finished as Florida's coach.

I was praying, "Dear Lord, please get me out of here in one piece". But oh was it fun. The Cats had made an this alum very proud.

. . . . . . .

We have 73° and our high today will be 84°. We can expect heavy thunderstorms and that has been the pattern for the past few weeks. We had thunder so loud last night I swear the bed shook but that may have been my imagination. This house is built like a bomb bunker. It would take a Cat 5+ to structural damage it. Speaking of which it has been a very mild tropical storm season. As in none to date. But we still have a few months to go and some of our worst in history have been in September.

. . . . . . .

My son's last house in Palm Coast, FL was built out of form block that had rebar through it and then filled with concrete. The roof was held in place by steel straps that came out of the concrete. I think a Cat 5 might mess with the roofing tiles, but I think the walls would remain. It was built like a bunker except for doors and windows.

One of the most enjoyable regular season games I have attended in my life was 1977 in Gainesville. It was our 10-1 undefeated SEC season. I went with a car load of Gator fans from the office. They invited me to sit in the Florida section where they had season tickets. They were confident Florida would roll over the, as they called us "yankee cats", because it was 95 degrees and probably over 100 on the field. And it was humid as humid gets. They knew Kentucky would melt on the field and Florida would coast to victory. Not that year Sports Fans.

When it was obvious UK was the strongest team and was not going to melt away, they fans became very vocal and mad at their Gators. With two or three minutes left in the game several fans started yelling it was time to "lynch" Coach Doug Dickey. String him up the yelled. Several pulled off their belts and waved it at the Florida bench. Doug Dickey was finished as Florida's coach.

I was praying, "Dear Lord, please get me out of here in one piece". But oh was it fun. The Cats had made an this alum very proud.
Haha. Great story. Their fans - especially for football - are pretty "animated" i guess you could say.

The "rest of that story" about me going to my first Florida game with a UF girl in 1976 was that we eventually married and had a daughter. And while, sadly, the marriage didn't survive our daughter is today a college professor at Kansas U. -- after going to Florida like her mother as an undergraduate.

And 25 years or so after going to that first game in Florida I returned to go to both basketball games and football games with my daughter during that run when Florida won national championships in both sports. Weirdly enough, for her first year my daughter lived in the same hi-rise dorm her mother had lived in when I visited as a 19-year-old. Very lively mix of feelings meeting her in the lobby to head for a football game a quarter century after my first visit. Life unfolds in lots of interesting ways.

Good morning D-League. It's currently 72° and raining here in Eastern Kentucky. This afternoon will bring thunderstorms and a high of 80°.

Everyone stay safe out there today.

istock_000005427811medium-9DC8BC14-20210511-135758.jpg
If I’m not mistaken, that’s Hatteras lighthouse isn’t it?

Football is in the air for real now. I have my ticket for the Kentucky - Gators game in the Swamp. I have seen the Cats win there and lose there and it is a lot more fun when we win there. September 10th can be a very good day.

I have some cousins who live out of state and I am trying to get them to fly down for the game. Just maybe. Four more Cat fans in the Swamp would be nice.

Florida-Kentucky.jpg

Hello Sir,

My son and his entourage will very likely be there. He graduated from UF but is UK through and through and wears his gear as does whoever he takes.

If I can find out where he is sitting I will relay it just to do it.

Back to work... ;) (For me that is...)

If I’m not mistaken, that’s Hatteras lighthouse isn’t it?
I am probably wrong, but it does not look correctly in that picture.

Me and my wife, and two kids have been to the top of the Hatteras lighthouse, scary, but it does not look correct unless it has been photo shopped.

The Hatteras lighthouse in 1976 was really close to the water line. (In fact they moved it west to keep it from falling into the waves.) If I recall it is the "tallest" light house in the U.S.

Cape Hatteras is a wonderful place. My high school best friend, a guy by the last name of Greene was working there and for two years my wife and family went to see him and his wife at Cape Harreras on our vacation. Wonderful times.

I am probably wrong, but it does not look correctly in that picture.

Me and my wife, and two kids have been to the top of the Hatteras lighthouse, scary, but it does not look correct unless it has been photo shopped.

The Hatteras lighthouse in 1976 was really close to the water line. (In fact they moved it west to keep it from falling into the waves.) If I recall it is the "tallest" light house in the U.S.

Cape Hatteras is a wonderful place. My high school best friend, a guy by the last name of Greene was working there and for two years my wife and family went to see him and his wife at Cape Harreras on our vacation. Wonderful times.
I've seen that lighthouse, just can't place it.

Da brudder Gubbernor tells it like it is.......... 😍

Wanted to post this here in honor of Brother Sir SC....

Morning Legionnaires!

Steady temps with low 90's expected for a high and 70's still overnight. Moderate winds with a possibility of showers late this afternoon (could use more to bring my fishing spots back up to normal). There is a chance for showers the next few days with overnight temps changing by Saturday so, Sunday will be the first fishing day this week. Starting to experience withdrawals not going twice a week.

Nothing else follows...for now.

Da brudder Gubbernor tells it like it is.......... 😍

Wanted to post this here in honor of Brother Sir SC....
What he said was true. I was born in the same county that DeSantis grew up in (Pinellas) and I do not recall seeing a California license tag growing up or in my adult life. Now there are quite a few. Several of our new church members moved from California and are really nice people.

DeSantis handles a hostile press better than anyone I can recall. And he seldom has to raise his voice. He just shows them how stupid they are.

Good Wednesday Morning

We have had a lot of very hard rain for what seems like the past few weeks and today will not be any different. It only lasts an hour or so. We have 73° at the moment and our high will be 86° by this afternoon. There is a 40% chance of scattered thunder showers.

Our county does a good job of controlling mosquitos and I remember the days when the trucks would come down the street spraying DDT. We would ride our bikes behind the truck and get the cool spray soaking to our bones. We also had planes flying over and they concentrated more on the pastures and swamps. Sometimes they would spray at night and with no AC we always slept with the windows open. You would wake up with your sheets and pillow cases damp with DDT. Oh for the old days, how did I make it this far.

301563674_5752937561406146_7116312344570734687_n.jpg

Good Wednesday Morning

We have had a lot of very hard rain for what seems like the past few weeks and today will not be any different. It only lasts an hour or so. We have 73° at the moment and our high will be 86° by this afternoon. There is a 40% chance of scattered thunder showers.

Our county does a good job of controlling mosquitos and I remember the days when the trucks would come down the street spraying DDT. We would ride our bikes behind the truck and get the cool spray soaking to our bones. We also had planes flying over and they concentrated more on the pastures and swamps. Sometimes they would spray at night and with no AC we always slept with the windows open. You would wake up with your sheets and pillow cases damp with DDT. Oh for the old days, how did I make it this far.

301563674_5752937561406146_7116312344570734687_n.jpg
Lol. I remember as a kid going to the drive in movies with my parents in the summer and they’d drive between the rows fogging the place with DDT so people could keep their windows open without getting eaten by skeeters.

I remember reading somewhere an estimate of how many tens of millions of people in Africa and Asia had died of Malaria from mosquitos after the US stopped the manufacture and export of DDT after left-wing environmental nuts forced a ban in response to Rachel Carson’s book “Silent Spring.” But of course we meant well. That’s what counts.

Last edited:
Good morning D-League. Beautiful day in the east. WE had some rain that took the humidity out of the air and now it is clear and cool.

Hard to believe tomorrow will be September. A mixed bag -- the summer for me felt like it vanished without a trace without the usual week at the Delaware shore or long weekends in Philadelphia. Just work.

On the other hand, the period between mid-September and Christmas is my favorite stretch of the year. Sports kicks into high gear and all the family holidays.

In any case, we can't seem to slow time down so we might as well enjoy the ride.

Hope it is a good day for all.

Good morning. It was a nice 61°F this morning when I go up. It is still going to get to 84° but no chance of rain.

I spent two hours on a chat with Sony over my three BluRay players. They will no longer allow ESPN+. I can watch it on my Sony TV but not the BluRay players. Soft ware update probably prompted by Disney. I was pissed because they would not tell me the real truth.

Grills some steaks last night. It had been several weeks and they tasted good.

You all have good hump day.

A friend sent me this. Thought Bernie and other Cardinal fans would be interested...

On Aug. 29, 2001, Serena Williams won a U.S. Open match in straight sets while Albert Pujols homered and walked in a Cardinals win.
• Elsewhere in MLB, Vladimir Guerrero Sr., Craig Biggio and Dante Bichette all recorded base hits.

On Aug. 29, 2022, Serena Williams won a U.S. Open match in straight sets while Albert Pujols homered and walked in a Cardinals win.
• Elsewhere in MLB, (sons) Vladimir Guerrero Jr., Cavan Biggio and Bo Bichette all recorded base hits.

A friend sent me this. Thought Bernie and other Cardinal fans would be interested...

On Aug. 29, 2001, Serena Williams won a U.S. Open match in straight sets while Albert Pujols homered and walked in a Cardinals win.
• Elsewhere in MLB, Vladimir Guerrero Sr., Craig Biggio and Dante Bichette all recorded base hits.

On Aug. 29, 2022, Serena Williams won a U.S. Open match in straight sets while Albert Pujols homered and walked in a Cardinals win.
• Elsewhere in MLB, (sons) Vladimir Guerrero Jr., Cavan Biggio and Bo Bichette all recorded base hits.
Interesting. I was disappointed in the ending of Mark McGwire's career, but your post reminded me of him because of Vlad Guerrero Sr. Mark once called him the best player in baseball.

A McGwire story. I forget who the Cards were playing, but a fight broke out. The runner on first base was a large man (I looked his size up the next day, but forget the name). He started toward the fight and Mark grabbed him from behind at the biceps and said, "Let's just stay here." The guy was on the pre game show the next day. He said Mark was just holding him in place, but he had huge imprints on both his biceps from where Mark had grabbed him.

I see this is the first August in decades -- at least 25 years -- without a named storm - much less a hurricane - in the Atlantic Ocean.

An emergency meeting was called by the Progressive Scientists Union to discuss possible ways that was caused by Global Warming - aka Climate Change. CNN and the New York Times are waiting to report the findings. Possible headlines - "Lack of Hurricanes a Result of Rising Oceans Caused by Heating Planet." Or maybe "Hurricanes Found to be Sign of Healthy Planet - Climate Change is Killing them."

Last edited:
I see this is the first August in decades -- at least 25 years -- without a named storm - much less a hurricane - in the Atlantic Ocean.

An emergency meeting was called by the Progressive Scientists Union to discuss possible ways that was caused by Global Warming - aka Climate Change. CNN and the New York Times are waiting to report the findings. Possible headlines - "Lack of Hurricanes a Result of Rising Oceans Caused by Heating Planet."
Yes. The earth has been changing it's climate since it's origin.

We are 10,000 years out of the last "Ice Age". Wonder why we are warming?

The only folks that miss the old days are the mammoths, giant slouths et.al.

I prefer a warming climate than an Ice Age. Joe Biden and Al Gore love an Ice Age. Screw those dumb shits.

Sorry folks for the bad language.

Lol. I remember as a kid going to the drive in movies with my parents in the summer and they’d drive between the rows fogging the place with DDT so people could keep their windows open without getting eaten by skeeters.

I remember reading somewhere an estimate of how many tens of millions of people in Africa and Asia had died of Malaria from mosquitos after the US stopped the manufacture and export of DDT after left-wing environmental nuts forced a ban in response to Rachel Carson’s book “Silent Spring.” But of course we meant well. That’s what counts.

Yep, I remember the ban of chlordane as well. I was in the bug business a couple years when it was banned. Just dumb. Treat a house with that and no more termites for decades. Now they put you on a service plan. What once cost $300.00 dollars now costs $3000.00 AND they don't get rid of the termites many times.... I will stop....

Hello All, home frome work. Still on my phone but plan to take tomorrow off to burn up some leave. Will be back at work Friday to relieve the "old timers" so they can be off. Just realized Monday was a holiday so there is that.

Taking my Mazda in the morning to a mechanic. All the things I did were needed anyway but the issue is not fixed yet...

Type at you later ..

An emergency meeting was called by the Progressive Scientists Union to discuss possible ways that was caused by Global Warming - aka Climate Change. CNN and the New York Times are waiting to report the findings. Possible headlines - "Lack of Hurricanes a Result of Rising Oceans Caused by Heating Planet." Or maybe "Hurricanes Found to be Sign of Healthy Planet - Climate Change is Killing them."
Well we have not had a Named Storm but we have had plenty of rain so the earth is not drying up. Today it started at about 1:30 and finished up about 3:00. It was hard and heavy. Everything around me is as green as it can get and the lake is busting at the seams. I am glad there is a slight hill going down to it.

I don't pay much attention to these scientific reports about the weather. It has been with us since creation and will be here long after I am gone. So I just keep on trucking and let the worry warts worry about something man can and never will be able to control. I am thankful they can't because if they could it would turn into a political weapon.

God says it will rain on the just and the unjust. A Democrat controlling the weather might cut me and Bert off permanently. We would end up like Arizona.

Yes. The earth has been changing it's climate since it's origin.

We are 10,000 years out of the last "Ice Age". Wonder why we are warming?

The only folks that miss the old days are the mammoths, giant slouths et.al.

I prefer a warming climate than an Ice Age. Joe Biden and Al Gore love an Ice Age. Screw those dumb shits.

Sorry folks for the bad language.

Carbon dating is so flawed....(Not at you Sir, just in general )

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT