ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Now that is a true friend.

I misunderstood the original statement (though I still knew nothing of the tale) that someone set his body on fire. I wasn't sure if it was Parsons self immolating or his manager, nor if he was being set on fire by his manager while still alive. All thoughts racing through my creative mind at once.... Thank you for this. I will read it this evening when I have some time to really absorb it.
You bet.

Here's a photo my son took last night of Cap Rock, the spot where the attempted cremation of Gram occurred. Beautiful spot. My son says the sky was more full of stars than he's ever seen, and he and his girlfriend counted any number of shooting stars.

Since some of you love snakes (looking at you BBUK) and others like hiking.

Since some of you love snakes (looking at you BBUK) and others like hiking.

I think I'd be up for that hike, if I could find my old Justin boots I wore on the pipeline.

Pretty well varmint-proof and impenetrable by welding sparks or hot metal slag from acetylene torch cuts.

I got work to do.... Have to replace all five filters on our reverse osmosis system today. (Cleaning everything is the key.) Will start in a short while. (Been busy.) Three filters are changed annually but the two filters/ one membrane are changed every two to four years. Just good drinking water and very well worth it...

Last edited:
He taught me how to bird hunt, rabbit hunt and squirrel hunt. He believed in two things: God and Hunting! Amos had the best bird dogs in central Kentucky.

This is the girl I fell in love with. I could not live without her. I married up!
13925181_1035763843205866_7720396543140008043_n.jpg
You sure did my friend!

I got work to do.... Have to replace all five filters on our reverse osmosis system today. (Cleaning everything is the key.) Will start in a short while. (Been busy.) Three filters are changed annually but the two filters/ one membrane are changed every two years. Just good drinking water and very well worth it...

We're considering installing one at our place. My wife is finally interested now that the prices have gone up on everything.

Yep, I was prepared for Florida yard work because I was raised by a Kentucky tobacco farmer. The biggest reason I want to college was to not have to do that the rest of my life.

The Florida heat is no worse than Kentucky, but the humidity is very oppressive. But mowing the yard in Florida was rewarded an hour later by a dive into the pool and a good drink to freshen up the old body.

The cutting and housing of tobacco was hot and humid but the tobacco gum would stick the hairs of you arms or legs together, so you had to wear a long sleave shirt and long pants. Plus get into a tobacco barn and you would have to fight off the wasps.

The folks that I really feel for in Florida are the guys that work on roofs. I can't imagine just how darned hot they get.
I can vouch, it don't get much hotter than being in the top of a barn housing tobacco. Then again, it wasn't any better on the lower tier poles either, having to dodge tobacco sliding off sticks. It's probably a good thing that people don't grow tobacco like they use to, they wouldn't be able to find help.

That is sad but it is also angering. How long is the "pansie" generation going to be among us.... A generation? Goodness I hope not.

I ask myself, why am I here. Will I feed myself today or will someone else feed me.... That has always been the basis to keep me going...
Too many people today would rather have someone give them the fish, then actually learn to fish.

We're considering installing one at our place. My wife is finally interested now that the prices have gone up on everything.

I bought the APEC ROES-50 over three years ago and installed it myself under our sink. It is supposed to make 50 gallons a day of water if needed. (I doubt we ever came near that even when we had four adults and two babies in the house but the water is terrific. (Some want the system that adds minerals but there is really no need. I did some serious research back then.) There is a lot of information online and you can get good deals. (So many types)

I actually bought the system from Lowe's online but I bought the filters from the main site when it was time. (I also bought the refrigerator adapter at the same time. The ice is super as well. (The installation is not that bad but I have the plastic waterlines and sure do wish I had copper waterlines.) (I replaced the three filters at about a year and a half and they needed it. This time I have all five.) (Oh, I did not replace the filters today, had several things come up unexpectedly. Will try again tomorrow.) (It does take about three gallons of water to make one gallon of the pure stuff.)

I bought it initially at the time because I was carrying cases and cases of bottled water up two flights of steps nearly daily. The water compared to any bottled water I have ever tasted cannot be compared. It is so very pure.

I bought the APEC ROES-50 over three years ago and installed it myself under our sink. It is supposed to make 50 gallons a day of water if needed. (I doubt we ever came near that even when we had four adults and two babies in the house but the water is terrific. (Some want the system that adds minerals but there is really no need. I did some serious research back then.) There is a lot of information online and you can get good deals. (So many types)

I actually bought the system from Lowe's online but I bought the filters from the main site when it was time. (I also bought the refrigerator adapter at the same time. The ice is super as well. (The installation is not that bad but I have the plastic waterlines and sure do wish I had copper waterlines.) (I replaced the three filters at about a year and a half and they needed it. This time I have all five.) (Oh, I did not replace the filters today, had several things come up unexpectedly. Will try again tomorrow.) (It does take about three gallons of water to make one gallon of the pure stuff.)

I bought it initially at the time because I was carrying cases and cases of bottled water up two flights of steps nearly daily. The water compared to any bottled water I have ever tasted cannot be compared. It is so very pure.

Thank you for this information! I will share it with my wife in the morning. It should help in deciding

Taking a work break, and thinking about our earlier discussion of Gram Parsons and Joshua Tree, I looked up his live take on a Hank Williams classic. Man, what a better assortment of music we'd have to draw on if Hank and Gram had lived long lives to pursue their craft.
Thanks for the video. I could listen to Gram Parsons all day and night. He died much too young but the demons of drugs got him. Emmy Lou Harris made some great music with him and she is still going strong. They were my favorite combo of all time. Emmy Lou makes everybody sound better.

When it comes to singing "You Win Again", my favorite artist for that song would have to be Jerry Lee Lewis and his Pentecostal style piano playing.

Good morning, D-League!

May God bring new understanding of His creation to you this 4th day of His week! Making breakfast for the family, because he's given me one more day to do so. Very thankful for it and for you!

Should be a cool and hopefully productive day in this little nook of KY! 61° and foggy here near the water, on the way to 80° or so. Go Cats!

Thanks for the video. I could listen to Gram Parsons all day and night. He died much too young but the demons of drugs got him. Emmy Lou Harris made some great music with him and she is still going strong. They were my favorite combo of all time. Emmy Lou makes everybody sound better.

When it comes to singing "You Win Again", my favorite artist for that song would have to be Jerry Lee Lewis and his Pentecostal style piano playing.

Sawnee - Yep, I love the Jerry Lee Lewis version of You Win Again. Almost referenced it in my post. Thanks for adding.

Another cool day in the east. Heading into DC on the train.

I hope all D-Leaguers have a great day.

Morning Legionnaires!

89° on tap for today with light winds. 11° shift from yesterday. I think our triple digits are finished for this year. With this shift we should get some rain in the next few days. We still need more as last weeks early morning rain was the first in a while. We are on a water conservation plan for this area at this time. Can't use sprinklers systems (I don't have one) in the hours of 10:00-19:00. Only plus with no rain is that cutting grass (today) is every two to three weeks depending on the severity of the heat.

Will go fishing tomorrow morning as the lows tonight will be in the upper 60's so, the morning will be good. Have a few people recently asking me where I go to fish and if I would let them know the next time I go. Problem with that is that they want to ride together, and I don't do that. They (not being familiar with the areas I fish) do not want to take the time to scout it out. When you go with others, you are on their timeline. If they meet me out there OK (maybe). I like fishing by myself as it is serene and calming unless I am hooking and missing more than landing. My wife however would rather I had someone there with me as she worries about me wading/kayaking, and something go wrong. I tell her God is with me.

Well, I rambled enough already, have a workout in a few and then cut the grass.

One more thing, just got a little startled as the monster (the big dog whose bark is booming) saw the reflection of my wife in the window and she thought someone was outside. She jumped up and went running to the window barking and growling.
She is the new house protector. Her size alone keeps the bad guys at bay. last time we checked she was 113lbs (me holding her on our scales) but will get an official weight at the vets on Friday as she has her checkup and booster shots. She will be a year and a half old 20 September.

Resized-20211208-162523.jpg

Good morning. 68.2°F and sunny. We are supposed to get to 84° with a 10% chance of rain. I am going to declare war on wasps today as I finally got some wasp/hornet spray and spray some roundup in the back yard.

On water. In Smiths Grove the tap water is wonderful. No need to do anything to it. We use the water filter in the fridge to remove the chlorine. Barren River water is wonderful. When we lived in Baltimore, Houston and Jacksonville you needed help.

Kentucky is blessed with wonderful sources of water.

Good morning. 68.2°F and sunny. We are supposed to get to 84° with a 10% chance of rain. I am going to declare war on wasps today as I finally got some wasp/hornet spray and spray some roundup in the back yard.

On water. In Smiths Grove the tap water is wonderful. No need to do anything to it. We use the water filter in the fridge to remove the chlorine. Barren River water is wonderful. When we lived in Baltimore, Houston and Jacksonville you needed help.

Kentucky is blessed with wonderful sources of water.

Good Morning Sir,

I'd sure take care of the bee's for you if I was near. Yes on the water. We seem to have decent water here as far as regular usage but the drinking part I used the filters in the fridge but never drank it until I got the RO system.

My Dad at one time lived in Tazewell, TN and the house he had there was on well water. That water would freeze in minutes it was so pure. You'd drink it and never quench your thirst. Never tasted water like that before or since.

Of course they did some blasting near where my Dad lived back then and he told me the water was ruined.

(I know Tazewell is not Kentucky but it is close.)

Last edited:
You're right about that. They've been pushing us towards a brand they sell but that my dog can't eat. Very frustrating.

Thank you. Yes, we will go that direction this afternoon. Picking up some chicken and such while the vets checking to see if she has any foreign objects in her GI tract we don't know about.
I wasn't feeling well yesterday and missed a few things. You probably know, but only the chicken, not the bones. Chicken (or any cooked bones) can splinter and catch in a dogs digestive tract,

Also by your comment about the vet wanting you to change food:; Did you recently change? Sometimes that can effect a dog. Anytime I changed food, I'd try a gradual change by mixing the old and new for awhile.

I wasn't feeling well yesterday and missed a few things. You probably know, but only the chicken, not the bones. Chicken (or any cooked bones) can splinter and catch in a dogs digestive tract,

Also by your comment about the vet wanting you to change food:; Did you recently change? Sometimes that can effect a dog. Anytime I changed food, I'd try a gradual change by mixing the old and new for awhile.

Nope. Can't afford to change her this late. She's too old. We changed gradually many years ago each time the manufacturers changed their recipes to something she couldn't eat.

She is doing better and has so far kept her rice down. We'll be introducing chicken into her meals slowly this afternoon. If we can afford it, we'll keep feeding her this and get some supplemental things like fish oil.

Thank you for being so thoughtful, @berniecarbo

Are you feeling better today? I've been alternately feeling crappy/exhausted and then fine for weeks. Eliminating carbonated beverages this week as one half-bottle of Coca-Cola threw my heart out of rhythm for a couple hours.... was "treating" myself, but that's not a treat I want to repeat. Lol

Good Morning Sir,

I'd sure take care of the bee's for you if I was near. Yes on the water. We seem to have decent water here as far as regular usage but the drinking part I used the filters in the fridge but never drank it until I got the RO system.

My Dad at one time lived in Tazewell, TN and the house he had there was on well water. That water would freeze in minutes it was so pure. You'd drink it and never quench your thirst. Never tasted water like that before or since.

Of course they did some blasting near where my Dad lived back then and he told me the water was ruined.

(I know Tazewell is not Kentucky but it is close.)
If your water is anything like Baltimore water then it stinks.

You explained why Tennessee whiskey is swill. BAD WATER!

Move across the state line and the sun shines and the water is good! ;)

Tennessee gets the left over water.

Yep, I was prepared for Florida yard work because I was raised by a Kentucky tobacco farmer. The biggest reason I want to college was to not have to do that the rest of my life.

The Florida heat is no worse than Kentucky, but the humidity is very oppressive. But mowing the yard in Florida was rewarded an hour later by a dive into the pool and a good drink to freshen up the old body.

The cutting and housing of tobacco was hot and humid but the tobacco gum would stick the hairs of you arms or legs together, so you had to wear a long sleave shirt and long pants. Plus get into a tobacco barn and you would have to fight off the wasps.

The folks that I really feel for in Florida are the guys that work on roofs. I can't imagine just how darned hot they get.
That's why you see people not afraid of manual labor & at the the bottom of the economic ladder up there: mainly Mexicans. Good for them.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
That's why you see people not afraid of manual labor & at the the bottom of the economic ladder up there: mainly Mexicans. Good for them.
I have put roofs up in August. I ain't Mexican, but I am part Spanish, but I am 100% American. Americans do the work that is required.

No work is above or below anyone. Hell I worked for the railroad.o_O

I have put roofs up in August. I ain't Mexican, but I am part Spanish, but I am 100% American. Americans do the work that is required.

No work is above or below anyone. Hell I worked for the railroad.o_O
You do what it takes to pay the bills until you find a better job. Many people these days want the best jobs at the start.

You do what it takes to pay the bills until you find a better job. Many people these days want the best jobs at the start.
About a year or so before I retired I had to interview a person for a position and brought her into the interview room. Before I could tell her to have a seat she pulled out a list of "demands". It was a full page, single spaced, of what she expected the company would do for her. She was demanding perks the Vice President or CEO couldn't get.

The interview was short.

About a year or so before I retired I had to interview a person for a position and brought her into the interview room. Before I could tell her to have a seat she pulled out a list of "demands". It was a full page, single spaced, of what she expected the company would do for her. She was demanding perks the Vice President or CEO couldn't get.

The interview was short.

I was on my phone earlier. Just don't type well on that thing.

When I owned my Bug business in Kentucky I was working in Mt. Washington. I just came out from under a house doing an inspection. I struck up a conversation with this younger teenager (Late teens.. He later told me he was 19.) He struck me as an on the ball type. (I had already decided to hire him but was still going through some things with him, talking as I was working. (He had no job and no prospects per his words.) He had no idea what I was ready to do job-wise. (He had his driver's license but no car.) (This was in about 1997 or 98.) I told him to call me and schedule to come see me at my office (My Home) in Vine Grove (The city). (I was going to have one of my employee's pick him up.)

His Mom came out on the porch just before I was finalizing the appointment (Where I was working was in the federal or state housing authority.) She told her son, don't even talk to that guy about working for him unless he starts you at $20.00 an hour.

I turned to her son and shook his hand and wished him well. (I had 8 to 10 employees at the time and was still looking for someone who could run the joint.) I thought this kid had potential. If he worked out like I envisioned, in 18 to 24 months he'd have been making 50k or so. I sold my business because I could not find that one person I could trust.

To this day I saw that as an opportunity (On both sides) that slipped away. I sold my business in 2001. (My commitment was up about a month before 9/11...

Last edited:
Are you feeling better today? I've been alternately feeling crappy/exhausted and then fine for weeks. Eliminating carbonated beverages this week as one half-bottle of Coca-Cola threw my heart out of rhythm for a couple hours.... was "treating" myself, but that's not a treat I want to repeat. Lol
I have been in bed most of the day. Feeling poorly then a meneires disease bout on top of it. Hope you feel better.

We had a boxer and a cat with serious problems. Cbd oil helped settle their nerves.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT