ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

00-VGoiT3Y43HCVi5zFo8RP4qAIx90G3xGFQmQ4UHj7teS3PwXLlVg64xhuVUnzzjt8Kwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ
Sharing a few pictures of my granddaughter in Basic Cadet Training at the USAFA. She is hanging in there.

The tall boy running next to her must be on the basketball team. She is about 5' 10".

00-VGoiT3Y43HCVi5zFo8RP4qAIx90G3xGFQmQ4UHj7teQKsmOpJ3IUDzqecWj0dYEjqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw

And there she goes. Cross Country State Champion in Kentucky. You got this girl.

00-VGoiT3Y43HCVi5zFo8RP4qAIx90G3xGFQmQ4UHj7teRqGJnAqJKLIvWggnHjOYgcldMTLfbtJ__wYVBQ_4iTow
Your granddaughter looks like a star Sawnee. America is in great hands with men and women like her willing to step up. Congratulations.

00-VGoiT3Y43HCVi5zFo8RP4qAIx90G3xGFQmQ4UHj7teS3PwXLlVg64xhuVUnzzjt8Kwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ
Sharing a few pictures of my granddaughter in Basic Cadet Training at the USAFA. She is hanging in there.

The tall boy running next to her must be on the basketball team. She is about 5' 10".

00-VGoiT3Y43HCVi5zFo8RP4qAIx90G3xGFQmQ4UHj7teQKsmOpJ3IUDzqecWj0dYEjqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw

And there she goes. Cross Country State Champion in Kentucky. You got this girl.

00-VGoiT3Y43HCVi5zFo8RP4qAIx90G3xGFQmQ4UHj7teRqGJnAqJKLIvWggnHjOYgcldMTLfbtJ__wYVBQ_4iTow
Neat. I'm surprised pictures are taken & allowed out. I thought the academies' boot camp training was locked up tight as a drum.

Your granddaughter looks like a star Sawnee. America is in great hands with men and women like her willing to step up. Congratulations.
Thanks, she has had desire to fly the jets since a young age and worked hard to get appointed to the Academy. She is lighthearted with a smile on her face and it got her 25 pushups the very first day. She ran off of the bus with her squadron and immediately the Cadre started yelling and screaming and a little smile came on her face. I told her to be ready for the screaming but she couldn't help but smile. Two or three Cadre came at her with orders to wipe that smile off and drop for 25.

A second humorous incident happened when she asked a question. They were teaching them to march with a Hut, 2, 3, 4 Hut, 2,3,4 Hut 2,3,4. When the squad stopped she asked her drill instructor what the "hut" meant. He got into her face and screamed "What??? What kind of question is that. I will hut, hut, hut you, this is the military not football practice" "We don't hut, quarterbacks hut, we march. Don't worry about what I say just march, got that!" I cracked up when her daddy told me that.

Last edited:
Neat. I'm surprised pictures are taken & allowed out. I thought the academies' boot camp training was locked up tight as a drum.
It is. Totally locked down. She doesn't have a cell phone and cannot talk to anyone outside and cannot talk to upper class cadets.

The Academy has a website that is available to parents. This website has photos that are taken by the Academy and unlabeled. There are hundreds and more add every day. You have to scroll through every photo and if you see your son or daughter you can save it. So the photos were emailed to me by my daughter in law who is getting them from the web. The first evening they were allowed to make one call to the parents and that was it. No contact since.

A few photos have been captured off of news video taken by the local TV stations that covered the first day. I don't know how to do it but you can freeze the video and take a picture. In the very start of the Youtube video you will see 4 girls who are in the class being interviewed. My granddaughter is the tall blonde girl, second from the left in a blue t-shirt. Hands behind her back with a smile. My son is in the background over her right should wearing the sunglasses. This was a day before they were sworn in and was an ice cream social for the parents.

This is a youtube video of the I Day for the 2026 Class.

US Air Force Academy Association of Graduates

Incoming basic cadets and their families enjoyed an ice cream social at Doolittle Hall on Wednesday, a day prior to inprocessing into the United States Air Force Academy. The AOG team talked to a few of the basics about their expectations for the next day.

Last edited:
Here is the picture from Cord.

The crystal one I have never seen the likes o

Thanks, she has had desire to fly the jets since a young age and worked hard to get appointed to the Academy. She is lighthearted with a smile on her face and it got her 25 pushups the very first day. She ran off of the bus with her squadron and immediately the Cadre started yelling and screaming and a little smile came on her face. I told her to be ready for the screaming but she couldn't help but smile. Two or three Cadre came at her with orders to wipe that smile off and drop for 25.

A second humorous incident happened when she asked a question. They were teaching them to march with a Hut, 2, 3, 4 Hut, 2,3,4 Hut 2,3,4. When the squad stopped she asked her drill instructor what the "hut" meant. He got her into face and screamed "What??? What kind of question is that. I will hut, hut, hut you, this is the military not football practice" "We don't hut, quarterbacks hut, we march. Don't worry about what I say just march, got that!" I cracked up when her daddy told me that.
Great stories.

I know we have some former DI's among this group. I've only been an outside observer as a military correspondent to witness some of the more colorful "Jody Calls." I suspect those have been toned down quite a bit with so many young women in the ranks.

It is. Totally locked down. She doesn't have a cell phone and cannot talk to anyone outside and cannot talk to upper class cadets.

The Academy has a website that is available to parents. This website has photos that are taken by the Academy and unlabeled. There are hundreds and more add every day. You have to scroll through every photo and if you see your son or daughter you can save it. So the photos were emailed to me by my daughter in law who is getting them from the web. The first evening they were allowed to make one call to the parents and that was it. No contact since.

A few photos have been captured off of news video taken by the local TV stations that covered the first day. I don't know how to do it but you can freeze the video and take a picture. In the very start of the Youtube video you will see 4 girls who are in the class being interviewed. My granddaughter is the tall blonde girl, second from the left in a blue t-shirt. Hands behind her back with a smile. My son is in the background over her right should wearing the sunglasses. This was a day before they were sworn in and was an ice cream social for the parents.

This is a youtube video of the I Day for the 2026 Class.

US Air Force Academy Association of Graduates

Incoming basic cadets and their families enjoyed an ice cream social at Doolittle Hall on Wednesday, a day prior to inprocessing into the United States Air Force Academy. The AOG team talked to a few of the basics about their expectations for the next day.

Friend used to live in COS. I went by the AFA a few times on I-25 with him. He attended a few of their FB games.

Great stories.

I know we have some former DI's among this group. I've only been an outside observer as a military correspondent to witness some of the more colorful "Jody Calls." I suspect those have been toned down quite a bit with so many young women in the ranks.
I was a DI at Knox from 1966-68 and it was a different military. Trainees did not see a female for weeks and Jody was a feature in our cadence.

"I don't know but I've been told, Jody's got your girl and gone"
"Jody's got a girl dressed in red and she makes her living in a bed"

SOUND OFF: ONE TWO, SOUND OFF: THREE FOUR, BRINGING IT ON DOWN ONE TWO (pause) THREE FOUR!!

Those are the mild ones, this is a family forum so I will pass on the others.

Good Sunday Morning D

We have a nice sunny day ahead and pleasant temperatures for July. It is 73° and will ease up to 85° by mid afternoon. Scattered clouds will arrive in the late afternoon giving a 40% chance of isolated thunderstorms. The UV Index is 10 out of 10. The gals on the beach love it.

Wake up time in Colorado Springs is 4:30 AM so get out of bed girl and fall in.
00-VGoiT3Y43HCVi5zFo8RP4qAIx90G3xGFQmQ4UHj7teSJSIGcmGMSJpvq3a4vLuvDqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw

I was a DI at Knox from 1966-68 and it was a different military. Trainees did not see a female for weeks and Jody was a feature in our cadence.

SOUND OFF: ONE TWO, SOUND OFF: THREE FOUR, BRINGING IT ON DOWN ONE TWO (pause) THREE FOUR!!

Good stuff Sawnee. yeah, I've heard some of the not mild ones myself while covering troops at Ft. Hood or Ft. Bragg or Ft. Campbell...

Last edited:
Good morning D-League. Happy July 3rd! Under other circumstances, maybe this would have been a holiday in that country that never was, the Confederate States of America...

This is the anniversary of Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg. It was probably the last day the Confederates had a plausible chance to still win the war.

Some of you may know the famous William Faulkner quote about that day when possibilities were lost. Here's the main part of it:

"For every Southern boy fourteen years old, not once but whenever he wants it, there is the instant when it’s still not yet two o’clock on that July afternoon in 1863, the brigades are in position behind the rail fence, the guns are laid and ready in the woods and the furled flags are already loosened to break out and Pickett himself with his long oiled ringlets and his hat in one hand probably and his sword in the other looking up the hill waiting for Longstreet to give the word and it’s all in the balance, it hasn’t happened yet..."

There's an Episcopal Church in Hedgesville, West Virginia, and in the graveyard around back lies a distant cousin or uncle of mine -- a brother of a direct ancestor - and he was killed on this day in Gettysburg.

I don't know but I believe, I'll be home by Christmas Eve.
I don't know but I heard rumors, so and so is wearing bloomers.
I don't know but it's been said, better to be dead than red.
And so on, and so on, and so on.

Your father was home when you left. You're Right!
Your mother was home when you left. You're Right!
Your brother was home when you left. You're Right!
Your sister was home when you left. You're Right!
Your girlfriend was home when you left. You're Right!
Jody was there when you left, You're right!
That's the reason you left. You're right!
Sound off! One Two!
Sound Off! Three Four!
Break it on down!
One Two Three Four, One Twooo!- THREE fOUR!

Good morning from Shawanee, TN. It's abut 70°F here.

US mail truck crashed near Claiborne Co/Union Co line early this morning. I got held up for 1.5 hours, said screw it, and took a helluva shortcut to get here. @starchief5 may know the area (Sharp's Chapel). Crazy stuff.

Gonna get some sleep soon and go grocery shopping with daughter.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

NIBRD-media-release.jpg

I'm guessing they're fairly similar to the ones in Full Metal Jacket Link.

Some of my favorites were Party Hard, C-130, Hail O' Hail O' Infantry, and They say that in the Army.

Good morning D-League. Happy July 3rd! Under other circumstances, maybe this would have been a holiday in that country that never was, the Confederate States of America...

This is the anniversary of Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg. It was probably the last day the Confederates had a plausible chance to still win the war.

Some of you may know the famous William Faulkner quote about that day when possibilities were lost. Here's the main part of it:

"For every Southern boy fourteen years old, not once but whenever he wants it, there is the instant when it’s still not yet two o’clock on that July afternoon in 1863, the brigades are in position behind the rail fence, the guns are laid and ready in the woods and the furled flags are already loosened to break out and Pickett himself with his long oiled ringlets and his hat in one hand probably and his sword in the other looking up the hill waiting for Longstreet to give the word and it’s all in the balance, it hasn’t happened yet..."

There's an Episcopal Church in Hedgesville, West Virginia, and in the graveyard around back lies a distant cousin or uncle of mine -- a brother of a direct ancestor - and he was killed on this day in Gettysburg.
Thank God the other circumstances never occurred.

Here's one our DI liked,

Birdie birdie in the snow
Broken wing and broken toe
Took him in and fed him bread
Then crushed his f@@@@@@ head
Yeah, that's in the spirit of what I recall, Bernie.

I suppose that's a piece of color and history lost to our military today. Some bruised snowflake recruit would call PETA if that were said today, and the New York Times would do a five-part series on the brutality of it all.

Thank God the other circumstances never occurred.
The Civil war was bad for families in this area. My great grandfather's two brothers lived in what was then called Elko, KY (in Mammoth Cave National Park). They left the same day for the Civil War. One went to Nashville to join the CSA and one went to Owensboro to join the Union. John Jack (the Union guy) told his brother that the next time "I will see you will be over the barrel of a gun". They survived the war and came back home and built houses next to each other. They just did not discuss the war.

My second great grandfather, David M.C. Edwards joined the 6th Reg. CSA and fought at Shiloh, Vicksburg, Baton Rouge, Chickamauga, Atlanta and Savannah. Late in the war he was wounded so badly that the Union forces sent him to Owensboro via barge and released him to his family. After the war he found life as a Confederate soldier too hard in Kentucky, so he told his wife he was going to Utah to get a place and he would send for her. He never was heard from again and there are no records that he ever got to Utah.

Two thirds of Kentuckians joined the Union; however, after the war Kentucky was treated like we had succeeded. One of my Union ancestors came home to fine that the Union Army had burned his house, stole all the stock and left his family destitute and depending on others for food and housing. Plus there are some horrible stories during the war of the Union forces taking people away and no one ever hearing from them again.

Please don't take my word for it:

17. Another reign of terror. - In 1864 the deeds of cruelty and outrage on the part of some Federal officers elevated to power in Kentucky produced a terror among the people equal to that caused by the raiding guerrillas. Chief among the men who were guilty of these inhuman deeds were generals high in official authority and in command both in East and West Kentucky. Under orders of these, many prisoners, without trial, were taken out of their prison-houses, led away and shot to death by squads of soldiers. Many peaceful citizens were arrested and cast into prison, and heavy sums of money extorted from some of them under military duress. The pretexts for these acts were usually alleged to be retaliation for the outrages of the guerrillas. Often the innocent suffered.

This is from "History of Kentucky" 1891. They will not tell you stuff like that today, it reflect poorly on the victors.

The Civil war was bad for families in this area. My great grandfather's two brothers lived in what was then called Elko, KY (in Mammoth Cave National Park). They left the same day for the Civil War. One went to Nashville to join the CSA and one went to Owensboro to join the Union. John Jack (the Union guy) told his brother that the next time "I will see you will be over the barrel of a gun". They survived the war and came back home and built houses next to each other. They just did not discuss the war.

My second great grandfather, David M.C. Edwards joined the 6th Reg. CSA and fought at Shiloh, Vicksburg, Baton Rouge, Chickamauga, Atlanta and Savannah. Late in the war he was wounded so badly that the Union forces sent him to Owensboro via barge and released him to his family. After the war he found life as a Confederate soldier too hard in Kentucky, so he told his wife he was going to Utah to get a place and he would send for her. He never was heard from again and there are no records that he ever got to Utah.

Two thirds of Kentuckians joined the Union; however, after the war Kentucky was treated like we had succeeded. One of my Union ancestors came home to fine that the Union Army had burned his house, stole all the stock and left his family destitute and depending on others for food and housing. Plus there are some horrible stories during the war of the Union forces taking people away and no one ever hearing from them again.

17. Another reign of terror. - In 1864 the deeds of cruelty and outrage on the part of some Federal officers elevated to power in Kentucky produced a terror among the people equal to that caused by the raiding guerrillas. Chief among the men who were guilty of these inhuman deeds were generals high in official authority and in command both in East and West Kentucky. Under orders of these, many prisoners, without trial, were taken out of their prison-houses, led away and shot to death by squads of soldiers. Many peaceful citizens were arrested and cast into prison, and heavy sums of money extorted from some of them under military duress. The pretexts for these acts were usually alleged to be retaliation for the outrages of the guerrillas. Often the innocent suffered.

This is from "History of Kentucky" 1891. They will not tell you stuff like that today, it reflect poorly on the victors.
Great stories. My ancestors fought for the south with Kentucky and Virginia brigades. And one was involved in an episode that fits with your stuff Bert and Bernie.

When I was about 23 I worked for awhile at the National Archives. While there I researched as well as I could some of my family in the Civil War. I found one record from the Military Authorities occupying Kentucky that noted the arrest in November, 1864 of a man with the same name as my great great grandfather - Joseph Hedges. Apparently somebody snitched on him for showing up outside the polling place in Bracken County and yelling ‘G..D…Abraham Lincoln’ as they put it in the military court proceedings. He was rounded up by Union cavalry and thrown in jail without trial until the war ended the next spring.

Thanks. I helps to re-enforces my post.

The South was not the only bad guys in the war.

Yes, I've seen you write about these subjects before. Not at all good.

Don't know why you quoted my post for it though. I stand by wanting the outcome of July 3 1863 to be as it was. I lost a Union volunteer gr-gr-father in battle in VA in 1864 a month before his 3 years enlistment was up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT