ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

It is 73.6°F and we are supposed to top out at 84°F with no chance of rain. We did not get a drop yesterday (60% chances) even though we had some fine looking clouds, they just were not productive. My grass needs a drink!

I talked to Ymmot yesterday and he said that he doubts we will see Don any time soon. The second stroke has harmed him. I hope Don can turn it around but strokes are bad.
I hate hearing that about Don. I'll be praying for Don and his family in this time of need.

The round of golf is done and I played ok. The weather was pretty much perfect today! Now I'm dialed in to Ancient Aliens on the History Channel. The HC has new episodes coming up in July. Should be some good stuff! Remember folks, keep your eyes on the skies!
Have you ever watched the TV series "Project Blue Book"?

I hate hearing that about Don. I'll be praying for Don and his family in this time of need.
Don asked me where I had been in response to a Happy Easter Post. Then Bert started telling me stuff about deep country in Edmonson Co. and I was hooked.

Speaking of Bert.
Economics was a lot easier! 😁
That cost of neglect vs cost of stupid sure creates a lot of cover for incompetency.

Back on fathers day you posted that yo mamma was Ola Mae (Elmore) Higginbotham, I knew that wasn't my Elmore Granny Laurie so I started poking around (looked it up). That makes you a 5th great grandson of John Elmore Sr through his son James born in 1792. The same North Carolina John Elmore Sr. is my 4th great grandfather. through his son, John born in 1790. Your great Granddaddy Seth Elmore buried in MCNP is cool. I was jealous then I remembered my 3rd great grandfather Rueben Vincent was buried in MCNP as well so I'm OK. We still low down trashy shine sucking cousins.

Last edited:
This company I never heard of called New Riff Distilling is building a good-sized warehouse of the edge of Silver Grove to age whiskey. They brought out this new "Silver Grove" bourbon as a way to get some early publicity I suppose. Apparently, there was a bourbon bottled around there back before prohibition.

We were just a C&O switching yard when I was a kid. The railroad pulled out about the time I did - late 1970s. The more prosperous towns like Ft. Thomas called us "River Rats." We called then "Cakes."
I hope the warehouse is out of the flood plain. As you well know, SG floods when OH gets 4-5' over flood stage.

Earlier today was thinking of driving Mary Ingles out to Mentor & back and stop at a bunch of places I grew up visiting along there as a kid.

Don asked me where I had been in response to a Happy Easter Post. Then Bert started telling me stuff about deep country in Edmonson Co. and I was hooked.

Speaking of Bert.

That cost of neglect vs cost of stupid sure creates a lot of cover for incompetency.

Back on fathers day you posted that yo mamma was Ola Mae (Elmore) Higginbotham, I knew that wasn't my Elmore Granny Laurie so I started poking around (looked it up). That makes you a 5th great grandson of John Elmore Sr through his son James born in 1792. The same North Carolina John Elmore Sr. is my 4th great grandfather. through his son, John born in 1790. Your great Granddaddy Seth Elmore buried in MCNP is cool. I was jealous then I remembered I my 3 great grandfather Rueben Vincent was buried in MCNP as well so I'm OK. We still low down trashy shine sucking cousins.

Just comes to mind...

Good morning from ATX. Currently 71°F and cloudy. Chance for light showers. We received some decent rainfall last night. Today's high might top out around 93°F.

Huge loss of life nearby yesterday. 46 migrants found dead in a trailer near San Antonio. Apparently heat-related fatalities. 8 more in critical condition.

Pup seems well so far. Fingers crossed. Confirmed car rental last night.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

befunky-design3.jpg

This company I never heard of called New Riff Distilling is building a good-sized warehouse of the edge of Silver Grove to age whiskey. They brought out this new "Silver Grove" bourbon as a way to get some early publicity I suppose. Apparently, there was a bourbon bottled around there back before prohibition.

We were just a C&O switching yard when I was a kid. The railroad pulled out about the time I did - late 1970s. The more prosperous towns like Ft. Thomas called us "River Rats." We called then "Cakes."
My grandfather was distiller #62. He was out in the country three miles from Park City.

Prohibition put him out of business and then when they made it legal again the U.S. took his spring when they made Mammoth Cave national park. So he gave up and died hating anything to do with the Federal Government.

The Higginbotham's started out as distillers in Scotland (my earliest record in 1515), then Northern England, Barbados (rum for the king), then Virginia then Kentucky. I may be wrong, but I think the distiller number says with the owner of the business.

I am a lover of good Bourbon straight on ice. I don't like Scotch whisky, I don't Irish whiskey and in fact I don't particularly like Tennessee whiskey but that may be a SEC thing! My favored is Makers Mark as it is the best taste for the money.

My grandfather was distiller #62. He was out in the country three miles from Park City.

Prohibition put him out of business and then when they made it legal again the U.S. took his spring when they made Mammoth Cave national park. So he gave up and died hating anything to do with the Federal Government.

The Higginbotham's started out as distillers in Scotland (my earliest record in 1515), then Northern England, Barbados (rum for the king), then Virginia then Kentucky. I may be wrong, but I think the distiller number says with the owner of the business.

I am a lover of good Bourbon straight on ice. I don't like Scotch whisky, I don't Irish whiskey and in fact I don't particularly like Tennessee whiskey but that may be a SEC thing! My favored is Makers Mark as it is the best taste for the money.

That IS a good drink Sir. I have had a few other types and years (decades) ago drank some serious rock gut regularly but normally if I buy, that is what I buy. I am a spiced rum type drinker when I drink the hard stuff but I sure like that Japanese whiskey I finished off a couple days ago. (It was a gift, if I buy it, it will very probably be Maker's Mark...)

Speaking of Bert.

Back on fathers day you posted that yo mamma was Ola Mae (Elmore) Higginbotham, I knew that wasn't my Elmore Granny Laurie so I started poking around (looked it up). That makes you a 5th great grandson of John Elmore Sr through his son James born in 1792. The same North Carolina John Elmore Sr. is my 4th great grandfather. through his son, John born in 1790. Your great Granddaddy Seth Elmore buried in MCNP is cool. I was jealous then I remembered my 3rd great grandfather Rueben Vincent was buried in MCNP as well so I'm OK. We still low down trashy shine sucking cousins.
I actually think we are "high class sipping whiskey cousins"!

John Elmore Sr is my 4th great grandfather, James is my 3rd great grandfather, Seth Bradshaw is my 2 great grandfather, William Jefferson is my great grandfather, James Washington is my grandfather.

John Senior was in the Virginia line in the revolution and Seth Bradshaw was in the 6th Kentucky CSA (Orphan Brigade). They may have moved it but there used to be a painting of Seth in the Edmonson County courthouse with Seth on his horse.

Here is a picture of Seth late in life:
1453c3d6-ddc3-48fa-9e42-99ae16932026.jpg

Here is James Washington and Sarah Jane Cook Elmore on their wedding day, Christmas 1907 (it hangs in my foyer):
290758370_5196149997167209_1638138746227804441_n.jpg

We have some interesting family.

Last edited:
It is partially cloudy and 71.4°F on our way up to 83° with zero chance of rain. My rain dancing just does not work.

back to whisky:

My grand father's recipe from an old ATF Journal:

One months record (January 1898) shows 3,960 pounds of corn, 286 pounds of malt, 176 pounds of rye and an undetermined amount of water was used to produce 4,964 gallons of beer. This amount of beer plus 647 gallons produced the previous month was used to produce 268 gallons of whiskey.

There was no mention of yeast.

John Elmore Sr is my 4th great grandfather, James is my 3rd great grandfather, Seth Bradshaw is my 2 great grandfather, William Jefferson is my great grandfather, James Washington is my grandfather.
That's exactly what I found, so I didn't count too well. I must admit, to my defense, I did get discombobulated with Larkin being son of Benjamin having a son William Thomas and a son Benjamin and grandson William Thomas. Then I never could locate a Find-a-Grave memorial for Larkin's son Benjamin A. to keep me straight. This Edmonson census data did the trick. Thank you Bert for your work in that arena. For genealogical investigation truth matters. Laurie Elmore was my ggm. Then (swimming upstream) goes Jesse, James, John Jr., John Sr. That Tester Higginbottom marrried to an Ethel Mae Elmore caused me hesitation. Anyway it's all straightened out in the tree you "Hicks" kidnapped women from.

That's exactly what I found, so I didn't count too well. I must admit, to my defense, I did get discombobulated with Larkin being son of Benjamin having a son William Thomas and a son Benjamin and grandson William Thomas. Then I never could locate a Find-a-Grave memorial for Larkin's son Benjamin A. to keep me straight. This Edmonson census data did the trick. Thank you Bert for your work in that arena. For genealogical investigation truth matters. Laurie Elmore was my ggm. Then (swimming upstream) goes Jesse, James, John Jr., John Sr. That Tester Higginbottom marrried to an Ethel Mae Elmore caused me hesitation. Anyway it's all straightened out in the tree you "Hicks" kidnapped women from.
That Tester Higginbottom married to an Ethel Mae Elmore caused me hesitation.

Tester Cleveland Higginbotham, my cousin thru Dad's side, worked at the Railroad and died young. He married, originally, William Jefferson's daughter (William was Seth Bradshaw's son) Ethel Mae.

Aunt Ethel then married Charles Logsdon after Tester died.

Life gets complex.

These people need to be remembered.

Here is Uncle Tester in 1911 (if you get the Higginbotham gene you end up being tall and slim - - I am an Elmore and I am not tall and slim):
1c5f45cd-af1d-43b0-9e62-9c4ced72f9d3.jpg

Aunt Ethel was a sweetheart and Charlie was a wonderful man.

I actually think we are "high class sipping whiskey cousins"!
I always heard you catch more flies with syrup than vinegar. I stille trying to figgure that one out from time to time with proper medication. I understood perfectly well when that same woman heard one of the guys grumble "Horse shit" about something and she informed him that sugar would be much better if your going to put it in your loud mouth. My Aunt Pearl was soaked in Lashley. Sweet Baby Dumplin" Gramma. One night, during a feud, she showed up with her meat cleaver. That sure stirred things up.
41ec03e9533e3f94e96b8312fb6fa5f8.jpg

Last edited:
Fishing report:

Many, many strikes. Hooked 12, landed 9, brought 6 home since the in laws (MIL and BIL) will be over for the holiday weekend (vegans). Wife was going to commissary after work today to buy fish but now will not have to. She will still get some shrimp to add to the fish.

Did not use kayak today, it was raining when I got up and the winds were higher than expected. Weather report said 0% chance of rain with 5-10mph winds expected. Hmmm. Anyway, I probably would not have been able to handle it since my left hand is still stiff and hurting. It was hard enough holding the rod while reeling. All of them felt like lunkers with my left hand in this condition. Still, a good day on the ponds.

Stayed out longer than normal since the day was cooler. On my way home I texted my wife to inform her not to buy fish and she replied back: "Text your daughter, she is worried something might have happened to you". She (my daughter) is getting like her mother. When I got home, she told me she was a little worried because I was gone longer than normal. I told her that she should know better than to worry because there is no Kryptonite around here. She gave me a look and a smirk as if to say: "Give me a break".

Last edited:
TV shows that have my interest...besides the Greatest Show ever...Ancient Aliens...

The Secret of Skinwalker Ranch
Dark Winds

Not sure if many are interested but if you get a chance try watching a clip of Dae Jo Yeong, it has english subtitles. 134 episodes. You can find some previews online but it is a true story of Korea depicted in this drama. I got hooked on it watching in Korea and bought the set. I watch it some. The actor portraying Dae Jo Yeong I call the Korean John Wayne...

40244.jpg

Talked to Ymmot for a good while today As always conversation erratic, fun and quite entertaining. Aliens didn't come up so we discussed if a squirrel crossing the road was evolutionary, I told him I didn't see it., Likely a clever mammalian adaption. He's fired up for Levis and Football season with good reason. That's great and I too am excited but we've got hands down greatest civilized warrior in all the known college hoop universe on my team and they're plaing in August. Even better, no "Prima Donna" distraction.
ghows-OH-f7ef1954-a2e6-4c34-a868-c7d7bf8f4e81-7f16dec8.jpeg

Last edited:

Morning Legionnaires!

Low 90's expected today with sunny skies. Low 60's right now but all of that changes come this weekend. triple digits start Monday and for the foreseeable future. Makes the fishing days very short as the temps start out at the mid 70's and rapidly increase.

Training student today after lunch instead of tomorrow. Taking my instructor to lunch tomorrow with other former students going with. His mother died Sunday and some are traveling from other parts of country to be with him and go to a viewing after lunch. His mother will be cremated Friday and the rest of his family have requested only family to be there for that. He has asked me to be there since he and his siblings don't get along and haven't for years. He now says I am his only brother. Not sure how that will sit with the others but...

Last edited:
It is sunny and 65.7°F on our way to 90°F with no chance of rain, plus the humidity is over 50.

Did you get home Sawnee Cat?
Good Morning Bert,

Thank you for asking. Yes we arrived safe and sound. Left Kentucky at 5:30 AM and got home at 5:25 PM a 12 hour drive. It was smooth all the way and traffic light with no rain or accidents in those 12 hours. An hour after we got home, here came the rains and lightning storm. It was a down pour for a solid hour. I mean Florida hard, as you are aware of living in Jacksonville. But we needed it.

Currently we have 75° and a few clouds. Sun is peaking out and we will reach 88° by this afternoon. We have a 36% chance of rain late afternoon. Humidity is Florida style, if you work outside you are going to sweat and you better have plenty of water around to keep from dehydrating. That is how it has been since the beginning of time.

Just checking in with you guys. Long, hard day but a three day weekend ahead.

Chatted with Gary Sinese’s agent today, setting up an interview for one of my writers and a photo op. Turns out he’s going to be at Fort Campbell on the 4th, entertaining with his Captain Dan’s Band and hosting a cookout. Good for him. We’ll get an interview out of that to run later in the year.

All’s well otherwise. I hope the same for all of you.

Good morning. It is a sunny 66.4°F on our way to 92° with a 20% chance of rain. I am still hoping for all 20% of it. Grass is dry, dry dry.

Need to do some work outside today but the forecast may keep me in. I did actually go get a bottle of bourbon, the mail and 4 screws at the hardware store. A long two mile trip. Pretty exhausting.

You all have a good day, I may do like Beetle Bailey, but the tree I lean on may be in the AC!

Good morning D

We have 74° and sunny skies and will move on up to 87° by this afternoon. Late afternoon will bring us a 49% chance of thunderstorms. My wife loves it and prays for a lightning storm. She says it is better than the 4th of July. Awesome power.

I need to get caught up on my yardwork too. I have been gone for two weeks and it shows. Work, work and more work but it keeps me moving and that is important. Maybe someday I will buy a condo by the beach and move but not today. I ain't there yet.

I have a bunch of ebays sales to get sent out. One more to package up and I can take them down to the Post Office.

Take care all, prayers for those in need.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT