ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

There are dates that we never forget. My parents and I never forgot December 7 and what it stood for. Younger generations have 9/11. But something happened on the day, May 9th in 1980 that I will never forget.

On this day in 1980 I was driving to work listening to the radio when a man interrupted the program and announced the "Sunshine Sky" has been struck by a ship and a span is in Tampa Bay." At first I though it was just another "skyway joke". They were common because ships and boats had struck the bridge before and disc jockeys often said someday it is coming down. If you notice the photo below there were no "bumpers or protection" for the spans in the event a ship got off course. The bridge was not designed properly and it finally happened. So when the Chinese freighter slammed into it, down she came.

The weather was rough that day. High winds, high seas and heavy rain. When I arrived at work a co-worker came in and he was a mess. Shaking all over and looked like he was in shock. He lived in Bradenton and drove over the bridge every day to our office located at 34th St South in St Pete. He saw several cars go over and also the Greyhound Bus. The south bound span was the one hit and there was not any damage to the north bound span. Over 30 people lost their lives that day and the bridge was only open for the one span until the second bridge was constructed. Today what was left of the bridge is now a fishing pier. RIP

280559991_5377892348908850_5369666855184002828_n.jpg
I remember that. I lived in Jacksonville and it was the lead story.

If loving gizzards is right, I don't wannabe right....... (Or something like that old song...) 😁 (I think by Barbara Mandrell?)

(I asked my Darling if Crabs had gizzards. I got the strangest look...)
Luther Ingram. Maybe not Motown, but close enough.
There are dates that we never forget. My parents and I never forgot December 7 and what it stood for. Younger generations have 9/11. But something happened on the day, May 9th in 1980 that I will never forget.

On this day in 1980 I was driving to work listening to the radio when a man interrupted the program and announced the "Sunshine Sky" has been struck by a ship and a span is in Tampa Bay." At first I though it was just another "skyway joke". They were common because ships and boats had struck the bridge before and disc jockeys often said someday it is coming down. If you notice the photo below there were no "bumpers or protection" for the spans in the event a ship got off course. The bridge was not designed properly and it finally happened. So when the Chinese freighter slammed into it, down she came.

The weather was rough that day. High winds, high seas and heavy rain. When I arrived at work a co-worker came in and he was a mess. Shaking all over and looked like he was in shock. He lived in Bradenton and drove over the bridge every day to our office located at 34th St South in St Pete. He saw several cars go over and also the Greyhound Bus. The south bound span was the one hit and there was not any damage to the north bound span. Over 30 people lost their lives that day and the bridge was only open for the one span until the second bridge was constructed. Today what was left of the bridge is now a fishing pier. RIP

280559991_5377892348908850_5369666855184002828_n.jpg
I remember that. I was working in Florida at the time.

Shot a 74 today. Drove a par 4 and made the putt for an eagle. That was the highlight. Haven't driven that green in years. Shot that with a set of old irons I bought at Goodwill for $12.50. Left the golf course and went to Golf Galaxy and promptly bought a new set of irons. Mizuno MP225. $1400 after tax. The clubs were a decision made over a couple of weeks of research and the fact that I hadn't sprung for a brand new set since 2006.

Chris Rodriiquez! What the hell? If they go by precedent, he's through at UK. Idiot.

Remember how your parents would tell you how cheap things were? Remember when you saw for yourself how cheap things were? These are things I'm going to concentrate on when I'm filling my truck up with gas tomorrow. The trick is, don't look back. Don't ever look back. Take out the hose and hang it up. Don't look back.

Luther Ingram. Maybe not Motown, but close enough.

I remember that. I was working in Florida at the time.

Shot a 74 today. Drove a par 4 and made the putt for an eagle. That was the highlight. Haven't driven that green in years. Shot that with a set of old irons I bought at Goodwill for $12.50. Left the golf course and went to Golf Galaxy and promptly bought a new set of irons. Mizuno MP225. $1400 after tax. The clubs were a decision made over a couple of weeks of research and the fact that I hadn't sprung for a brand new set since 2006.

Chris Rodriiquez! What the hell? If they go by precedent, he's through at UK. Idiot.

I like this version...

My only karate student just texted me and told me that one of her dogs that she takes to the gym where she works just found a dead woman's body out back of the gym. Police are there. Will be there tomorrow to train her and get more information. The gym is in a bad neighborhood. Pictured below is police cars in parking lot of low rent housing area next to gym. Gym is off to the right with wood line behind the gym where dog found body.

IMG-9567001.jpg

Last edited:
My only karate student just texted me and told me that one of her dogs that she takes to the gym when she works just found a dead woman's body out back of the gym. Police are there. Will be there tomorrow to train her and get more information. The gym is in a bad neighborhood. Pictured below is police cars in parking lot of low rent housing area next to gym. Gym is off to the right with wood line behind the gym where dog found body.

IMG-9567001.jpg
Good God!

Good Morning D

Woke up to a very pleasant morning with a nice 59° as we get climb to 86° this afternoon. We will have plenty of sunshine and the air quality is excellent. Thanks to a nice breeze off of the Gulf.

Today will be busy and that is always a good thing. @BBUK. Yesterday about 5:00 PM I got a call from our local Publix butcher. He called me to say the poultry truck had delivered chicken gizzards and chicken livers and he set aside 6 packs for me. I dropped everything and went straight to the store. This is the first delivery of gizzards in months. I am a happy man.

Now to fry these babies up and make a pan of milk gravy and a pot of mashed potatoes. I kinda like it like that. Y'all have a great day.

00-VGoiT3Y43HCVi5zFo8RP4qAIx90G3xGFQmQ4UHj7teRE5YGiY470Ofzr1xHEB0WjrnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A

They probably offered those gizzards to the homeless shelter, who refused to take them. Then, as they were about to throw them out, someone said, "Wait a minute, I know some su,,,, uh, a friend, who will take these things off our hands."
My only karate student just texted me and told me that one of her dogs that she takes to the gym where she works just found a dead woman's body out back of the gym. Police are there. Will be there tomorrow to train her and get more information. The gym is in a bad neighborhood. Pictured below is police cars in parking lot of low rent housing area next to gym. Gym is off to the right with wood line behind the gym where dog found body.

IMG-9567001.jpg

Good lord. I hope you didn't teach her the Five Point Palm Exploding Heart technique!

They probably offered those gizzards to the homeless shelter, who refused to take them. Then, as they were about to throw them out, someone said, "Wait a minute, I know some su,,,, uh, a friend, who will take these things off our hands."

Good lord. I hope you didn't teach her the Five Point Palm Exploding Heart technique!
Southern Arizona must be having some real problems with wildfires. Long way away from you guys thank God. New Mexico is really suffering.

Not yet. ;) She keeps the dogs with her at the gym to keep the surrounding locals at bay. There is no air conditioning in that building just huge exhaust fans so they have rolling bay doors they must keep open with swamp coolers moving the air around. They rent the building and the owner will not put AC in. The area is bad and there is almost always someone lurking around outside and police/emergency vehicles visit the area almost daily. I Used to live in that area across the street back in 97 for about 6 months or so after retiring from the Army until I got a job that could sustain me for a better area. Was threatened by a few people there after coming back one night from karate training seeing a big black man harassing a much smaller woman both who lived there. He was drunk pushing her around. I got him to stop (not normally a bad dude) and it was over but, a few others started yelling at me to mind my own business and that my karate would not help me against a bullet. Got the message and moved out not long afterwards.

Last edited:
Good morning folks.

A spectacular morning in the east - sunny, cool, no humidity. We don’t get all that many days this perfect.

Got some work to plow through this morning then plan a long lunch hour at the Smithsonian Natural History Museum which is about a quarter mile from my office. Just before COVID they opened the magnificent Fossil/Dinosaur exhibit funded by the Koch Brothers. I haven’t been back for more than two years and looking forward to seeing it again.

Hope you all have a good day.

Remember how your parents would tell you how cheap things were? Remember when you saw for yourself how cheap things were? These are things I'm going to concentrate on when I'm filling my truck up with gas tomorrow. The trick is, don't look back. Don't ever look back. Take out the hose and hang it up. Don't look back.
For some reason I don't think these prices are coming back down. At least not in my lifetime. A gallon of milk is $4.90. Lots of babies are going to be drinking water. Or watered down milk.

For some reason I don't think these prices are coming back down. At least not in my lifetime. A gallon of milk is $4.90. Lots of babies are going to be drinking water. Or watered down milk.

Yeah the new "norm" has been established. Many are yearning for the $3.89 gas again... quickly forgetting that same gas could be $1.87 or lower. It IS criminal what a few hundred people are doing to this country. Very stupid people supporting it though to the tune of a media that is lying about the support, and millions too busy taking care of themselves and their families to engage. We better engage and really quick or this is a communist country very soon.

I got a call from Audi. My wife's car is ready. I almost can't believe it. 8 weeks. Thanks Joe

Glad to hear that Sir but the sad thing is milk may be headed that way. Just horrifying what is happening right before our eyes. (I bought a gallon yesterday at Walmart for $3.63) (Was $3.03 the week before we went to SC.)(At the same store.)

SS only way to go imo. Much faster.
Not just faster but more reliable.
I was 73 yesterday, but no more. Life goes on.
Happy belated. Mine is next month the 78th day of spring.
Life is good, no reason to complain. God is watching over me and all is good.
Good yes and very challenging for the Simpletons
Since I have no close neighbors,
Nice!
As a free man's statement I often pee off my porch. If some one sees it they have to prove it! :)
IMG_2239.JPG

Stand on a street corner downtown and cluck like a chicken for a while

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT