ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

2278800.gif

About six weeks ago a big pickup truck backed into the front of my wife's car in a parking lot. They admitted fault. Front bumper and grill, hood, fender and headlight. Got it in the shop 2 1/2 weeks ago and still waiting on parts. $4K in damages from a light hit. I'm driving a rental they provided but those costs will be added on.
You mentioned another thing that has increased in price to a point of being ridiculous. Car rental.

Audi offered me a replacement car when I had the car towed to the service department. They must have thought it would be a fast repair. And it should have been.

But I couldn't justify taking a car and letting it sit in my driveway for weeks and weeks. Listening to the radio this morning was depressing because the girl said all of this is going to get worse. Let's Go Brandon

Good morning all,

I just refilled my cup of the doctor ordered black cup of coffee. My doctor told me to drink it every day. Well we are waking up to a dark morning, the sun should be up in an hour.

Our weather is warming up a little day by day. We have 70° at the present and will move up to 82° by midafternoon. Clouds are moving through. I think winter is behind us and Easter Sunday was always the day my mother would say put away the sweaters and jackets for the next 6 or 7 months.

There is something about a redheaded woman and cowboy boots.

Have a great day all.

278555467_5706938392655176_4832098846934836738_n.jpg

You mentioned another thing that has increased in price to a point of being ridiculous. Car rental.

Audi offered me a replacement car when I had the car towed to the service department. They must have thought it would be a fast repair. And it should have been.

But I couldn't justify taking a car and letting it sit in my driveway for weeks and weeks. Listening to the radio this morning was depressing because the girl said all of this is going to get worse. Let's Go Brandon
I've had 3 price increases on raw goods for manufacture since Dec.

Good morning, D-League

My hope for today is that the communists, nazis, dictators, and fascists that know what they're doing is wrong and will never repent - publicly choke on their own spit and keel over or have their real deeds exposed in front of millions of people or both, never to return to office again. I want them to be prosecuted and serve real time. Yet, I also want God's will to be done, so however he needs this to play out I will accept it.

May you all find His peace and may His spirit rest upon you as faithful children of the Most High, seeking his will upon the face of the earth.

Good morning all,

I just refilled my cup of the doctor ordered black cup of coffee. My doctor told me to drink it every day. Well we are waking up to a dark morning, the sun should be up in an hour.

Our weather is warming up a little day by day. We have 70° at the present and will move up to 82° by midafternoon. Clouds are moving through. I think winter is behind us and Easter Sunday was always the day my mother would say put away the sweaters and jackets for the next 6 or 7 months.

There is something about a redheaded woman and cowboy boots.

Have a great day all.

278555467_5706938392655176_4832098846934836738_n.jpg

Mmm, hmm. Unless it's Jen Psaki

Since we've been talking baseball, I thought this Quora article on the best outfielder arms was cool.

"In Major League Baseball history, which outfielder is generally regarded as having the best throwing arm from deep to home plate?
https://www.quora.com/In-Major-Leag...the-best-throwing-arm-from-deep-to-home-plate

In the history of Major League Baseball, outfielders with the best throwing arms include the following players. If I forgot anyone really good, please let me know in the comments and I’ll credit you.
  • (#1a) Roberto Clemente aka "El Howitzer" is the modern era leader in outfield assists. Clemente, who won 12 consecutive Gold Gloves, finished his storied career with a staggering 266 assists, including 27 in 1961. And it wasn’t just that Clemente had a powerful, accurate arm. He played right field and threw with rare grace, poise and élan. Clemente would have had even more assists because he averaged 14 per 162 games his last three seasons, before dying prematurely on an overloaded plane while trying to fly material aid to Nicaraguan earthquake victims. Many baseball players are said to have done heroic things on the field, but Clemente was a hero in real life. Also, as with other players on this list, he had limited opportunities because many runners chose not to test his howitzer. You don’t tug on Superman’s cape, you don’t spit into the wind, and you don’t run on the great Roberto Clemente, if you know what’s good for you!

As the immortal Vin Scully once observed: "Clemente could field the ball in New York and throw out a guy in Pennsylvania."
main-qimg-359d7cdadc670d2e9924bf1442e51d27-lq

• (#1b) However, according to the late, great Roberto Clemente, Reggie Smith had the best outfield throwing arm. David Halbertram wrote that players on the other team would gather in their dugout to watch Smith practice throws during pre-game drills! “Spaceman” Bill Lee said in his book that Boston outfielders had a throwing competition in the early 70's to how far up the Green Monster they could reach from the first base line with a running start. Lee said Reggie Smith went last, took just one step from the dugout and threw a ball over the wall and screen!
main-qimg-1b3455473c5a9ef3f5b64decaa3cd2d5-lq

• Dave Winfield, a hall-of-fame outfielder playing for the Yankees in 1983, was arrested for killing a seagull with a thrown ball. The cop who arrested him and fans who witnessed the event claimed that Winfield hit the bird deliberately. But Yankees manager Billy Martin questioned whether Winfield possessed the necessary accuracy: "Cruelty to animals? That's the first time he hit the cut-off man all year!
  • Carl Yastrzemski led the league in assists seven times and finished his career with 195 assists, in a tie with Willie Mays."

My buddy (also from Illinois) told me about listening to the Cubs game on the radio and Harry Caray talking up Dave Winfield all game. Every.single.inning. He DID have a strong arm, so Caray wasn't wrong, but he said it got annoying.

Then, late in the game, the Cubs had a runner on base that tried to get either a tag up or an extra base on a deep fly ball to Winfield. Caray got all excited for the throw, as he'd been building up to it all game.... "Here's the throw to the plate. It's gonna be ... the (blankety-blankest) throw IVE EVER SEEN!" screamed Harry. Screener caught part of the vulgarity but not all of it. Left just enough of it there that his grandmother wouldn't let him listen to games into the late innings for a little while. That's when Caray was too drunk to control his mouth some days.

That throw from the warning track by Winfield wound up hitting the net behind the plate about 15 feet up or so. Caray bitched about the throw for the rest of the game, obviously embarrassed he had played Winfield up so much. His cohort in the booth couldn't stop laughing the rest of the game. My friend couldn't remember if it was Steve Stone or not, but Stone was famous for laughing endlessly or out of control when they made mistakes in the booth.

I was going to post this, too, and forgot. Glad someone else remembered!

I call her "Copper Head" because there has never been real hair that color. Plus she is the most condescending person on earth. (I substituted "person" but I really wanted to type the word for a female dog!)

Buddy had a classmate in grade school with hair that was pippi-longstocking-red. Bright as can be (also not copper). One day when she was mad he told her to try Visine. She didn't like that much, but remembered it the rest of her days. ...Sometimes fondly

Morning folks. It is a sunny 45.7°F on our way to 65° with no chance of rain. Last night at 7:00 we got some really hard wind for about 15 minutes and then just rain.

We ended up with 2.18" of rain Tuesday and 1.28" yesterday/last night. I can not see any wind damage; however, my daughter in Shelbyville got a little damage to her roof and a metal chair on the front porch damaged the rail around the porch. My son in Taylorsville (out in the country) reports no damage.

Is it true that Oscar is coming back?

Good morning from ATX. Currently 59ºF and clear. Today's high expected around 85ºF.

Day 7 and we're on a roll. Gobbled down our last pill at 4:15 am. Yesterday, she ate 3 cans prescription dog food plus 1/4 lb boiled chicken. Stool returning to normal.

0414NATIONAL-PECAN-DAY-1024x536.png
Dilly Dilly
Mmm, hmm. Unless it's Jen Psaki
Thanks, I dang near choked.

Good morning D, read Titus 2 this morning.

Bert we had about the same, I think we had 1.9 Tuesday and 2.3 last night. Mrs. M got home at 5 yesterday, we ate a quick supper then went to the church basement, most of the time it's just me and her there, last night there was probably 30 people, had tornado sirens go off 5 times, one went directly over the church and another one south of Greenville, worse lightening I have ever seen!!!! People are edgy here in the Berg after what happened in December!!!

Got us a crockpot of Italian beef going, will be done about 12:30! If any of the D wants the recipe, I'll post it, but I know most of the D makes their own.

I hope the D has a great day and prayers for my friends on the D!!!!!! Oh, failed to mention this. We had a breakthrough with our granddaughter this morning. Her teacher called my daughter, told her that she ask her this morning if she wanted a book, then the teacher wrote the word book on a piece of paper, then our granddaughter took the pencil and wrote book also!!!!! I know it dosen't seem like much, but it's great to us!!!!!

Last edited:
Dude! You forgot the greatest Jim Brown movie of all. 100 Rifles!

100riflesjimraquellc.jpg
My wife and I have gotten into a routine where we watch old movies and last night she suggested one involving John Wayne and Sophia Loren Legend of the Lost filmed in 1957. I am showing my age.

Sophia Loren is now 86 years old and aged well.

2021.02.23-09.46-themixnet-6035779d674ab.jpg

Going to put this out there.

Italian Beef (my MOM"S)

1-Large Chuck Roast (3lb one today)
1-Tbsp Basil
1-Tbsp Oregano
1-Tbsp Garlic Powder
1-Tbsp Onion Powder
1-Tbsp Black Pepper
1-Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1-Tbsp Lowery's
1-Tbsp All seasoning (Have substituted Angelo's here)
6-8 Pepperoncini's, add some of the juice

Place all ingredients in a crock-pot with pepperoncini on top
Do NOT add any water
Cook on high for 6-8 hours (for bigger roast, Cook longer)
Do not stir until done
Place on Hogie bun with Mozzarella cheese and cut up pepperoncini's if you like.
When it gets done, I take it out, put it in a cake pan, go thru it taking out all the fat in it, put it in a bowl. Then I take the juice in the crock-pot and run it through a strainer in another bowl. Before I add the juice to the meat, I like to take a couple pieces of bread, lay it in the juice to take some of the grease off the top of it, you will see what I am talking about. Then add it to the meat

I have changed the way I do this, I cut up the roast the night before in large pieces, the put it in a storage bag over night with all the ingredients, mixing around everything 3-4 times so everything gets coated good, then starting it in the morning, Mrs. M don't like leaving it on in the crock-pot overnight.

If you try this, you will have to adjust to your taste, we don't like it salty and to spicy, so I cut back some on the salty stuff and fewer on the peppers.

I have never given this recipe out before; I like my friends on the D!!!!

Last edited:
Going to put this out there.

Italian Beef (my MOM"S)

1-Large Chuck Roast (3lb one today)
1-Tbsp Basil
1-Tbsp Oregano
1-Tbsp Garlic Powder
1-Tbsp Onion Powder
1-Tbsp Black Pepper
1-Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1-Tbsp Lowery's
1-Tbsp All seasoning (Have substituted Angelo's here)
6-8 Pepperoncini's, add some of the juice

Place all ingredients in a crock-pot with pepperoncini on top
Do NOT add any water
Cook on high for 6-8 hours (for bigger roast, Cook longer)
Do not stir until done
Place on Hogie bun with Mozzarella cheese and cut up pepperoncini's if you like.
When it gets done, I take it out, put it in a cake pan, go thru it taking out all the fat in it, put it in a bowl. Then I take the juice in the crock-pot and run it through a strainer in another bowl. Before I add the juice to the meat, I like to take a couple pieces of bread, lay it in the juice to take some of the grease off the top of it, you will see what I am talking about. Then add it to the meat

I have changed the way I do this, I cut up the roast the night before in large pieces, the put it in a storage bag over night with all the ingredients, mixing around everything 3-4 times so everything gets coated good, then starting it in the morning, Mrs. M don't like leaving it on in the crock-pot overnight.

If you try this, you will have to adjust to your taste, we don't like it salty and to spicy, so I cut back some on the salty stuff and fewer on the peppers.

I have never given this recipe out before; I like my friends on the D!!!!
ATX never let you down on a recipe yet!!

There are definitely significant numbers of people who don't fit in, and are never going to.

The part of downtown DC where I work is really nice - just off Pennsylvania Avenue about halfway between the White House and the Capitol. Lots of decent restaurants, museums, galleries, etc.

But a few blocks up is the massive homeless shelter the city opened about 35 years ago after a long battle with homeless advocate Mitch Snyder (his battle became a Martin Sheen movie, etc.) So now, lots of homeless folks, many with mental issues and, or deep substance abuse problems, wander down our way because there is enough tourist traffic that well-meaning people keep them supplied with money for booze or pills.

I certainly have sympathy for the situation some people find themselves in, and help some of the regulars who I've seen actually using the money to buy food. And I don't have any solution.

Hello all, on this note I got back to my desk about an hour ago. MD55 they called those half-way houses. My Grandma lived in one for a long while in Detroit. Thank President Carter (With all those "single" habitat for humanity homes he built, President Carter caused the homeless problems we have now in the United States. He should have kept building those single homes and left this country.........alone.), he called those who did not have all their faculties but could do lots of things living in a home where people did those mundane things like pay the bills and sometimes cook... inhumane... Go figure....

I will post again but that struck a nerve... Carter was bad, real bad but I think he is now coming in third in the most horrible President contest... "Ain't" that a shame... No, it is criminal!

Oh I hope all are well.

Hello all, on this note I got back to my desk about an hour ago. MD55 they called those half-way houses. My Grandma lived in one for a long while in Detroit. Thank President Carter (With all those "single" habitat for humanity homes he built, President Carter caused the homeless problems we have now in the United States. He should have kept building those single homes and left this country.........alone.), he called those who did not have all their faculties but could do lots of things living in a home where people did those mundane things like pay the bills and sometimes cook... inhumane... Go figure....

I will post again but that struck a nerve... Carter was bad, real bad but I think he is now coming in third in the most horrible President contest... "Ain't" that a shame... No, it is criminal!

Oh I hope all are well.
BBUK, your grandma must have been a tough old bird if she managed for a long while in a homeless shelter, or halfway house, in Detroit.

When I was a young stud reporter about age 25 the debate was raging in DC over whether to keep a massive homeless shelter in the city open,...As a stunt I went in that place dressed in shabby clothes and stayed a weekend. That was plenty for me. Saw some real human depravity -- including a knife fight between two women. The only thing I can say to recommend the experience is that every morning some large local bakery would drop off a couple garbage bags of day-old donuts, which weren't bad.

BTW - Despite my story painting the place as a Dickensian nightmare the shelter stayed open. No one could come up with a better idea, then or now.

Last edited:

Oh I hope all are well.
BBUK, your grandma must have been a tough old bird if she managed for a long while in a homeless shelter, or halfway house, in Detroit.

When I was a young stud reporter about age 25 the debate was raging in DC over whether to keep a massive homeless shelter in the city open,...As a stunt I went in that place dressed in shabby clothes and stayed a weekend. That was plenty for me. Saw some real human depravity -- including a knife fight between two women. The only thing I can say to recommend the experience is that every morning some large local bakery would drop off a couple garbage bags of day-old donuts, which weren't bad.

BTW - Despite my story painting the place as a Dickensian nightmare the shelter stayed open. No one could come up with a better idea, then or now.
During my walks, I encounter homeless folks every day. Some days 2-3 while other days 8-10, all within a 1-mile radius. Crazy thing is no homeless shelter nearby. Largest shelter sits downtown on 7th Street. Some folks camp out in tents, and seemingly live rather well. Sometimes I question if they are truly homeless or just saving money. Others seem seriously destitute.

Homelessness is a huge problem in ATX. Many fires have been started by homeless folks. Lots of filth and hazardous waste (needles) near their camps. City may try addressing the issue again. We'll see.

Oh I hope all are well.
Glad you are home. I hope you spread some love to your folks. That is what counts.

On Carter: he was a good person, but a very bad president. However, today I would trade Jimmy in a New York minute for Joe.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT