ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Hello all, I hope you are well. My Darling and I left about 12:30pm and arrived in my brothers driveway in Saline, MI about 10:05pm. We stopped and ate at a Cracker Barrel along the way.

Enjoyed talking with my brother and Sister (SIL)(She is my sister and has been since I was 13 or so.. I'm 60 now.). Staying at their home. Just a gorgeous home. Haven't been here in decades.

Hope to see my sister tomorrow and my Mom's along with my Aunts and Uncles graves.

Haven't seen my brother and sister since they were at mine and my Darlings home in South Carolina in about 2016. We talk regularly but it "ain't" the same.

Hope to check in tomorrow. I am thankful. God Bless you all...
@BBUK

Thanks for the report and our prayers continue for a safe trip. It is nice to be with family but sad under these circumstances. I trust you have some good quality time with love and affection.

Be careful headed home and if you stop at a rest area watch out for the 'rattlers, as I told my daughter when we were in New Mexico. I couldn't resist.

379256_465889756797439_1453068114_n.jpg

I haven't taken a moment to welcome you to the D League HymanKaplan. I enjoy your posts and I feel you will like this place.

It reminds me of the days when we sat on the store front porch just sipping on an RC and talking about this and that. We have some good folks on here. Welcome
Yep, for me too @HymanKaplan Welcome abord.

Morning folks. It was a wet day here yesterday and last night it flat out poured. We now have received 2.04 inches of rain since yesterday afternoon. It is a dark 61.5°F and we are supposed to get to 72°. Tomorrow is supposed to be stormy.

@BBUK take care of the family.

I have enjoyed the baseball stories, even though I was never a big baseball fan.

I hope the day is a blessing
Every day is. Sun rises. Cock-a-Doodle Do!
Then there's me.

They allow me to post here and put up with me rather kindly, but I don't deserve it.
This is an Oasis where you can relax, joke, and have an opinion or ideas about evidenced truth. Once here, me slips away and becomes we and magic happens. WISDOM!
my-first-waterfall.gif

Last edited:
Those eagles are handsome creatures.
Yes they are. Not very tasty though. I'd call it a cross between a baby seal and a snowy owl.

Golf went off without a single raindrop. No Sun either, but at least the wind didn't blow too hard. Played 27 and Walt had had enough. I told him I didn't know how I made it that far with my knees. He said "I noticed earlier that you were wearing knee pads". I showed him that those weren't knee pads, my knees were swolled up like big ticks.

In all the fray I must have forgot to take a shot last week, or two. RA has got me by the...!

Into each life some pain must fall.

Good afternoon D, start reading Titus 1 in the morning.

For all the birthday and anniversaries I have missed, I hope they were all good for you!!!

Watched a great show today, it was about Texas A&M, the 12th man, I think it was titled No Experience needed, didn't know what the back story was on it till today!!! Then watched a short story about The Museum of the weird in ATX, you been there ATX?

I am glad the tiger woods Masters is over, glad Scottie Scheffler won, man he was cool under fire!!!! Just wanted them to give more credit to who won than to who didn't. I think what really gets me is, not just tigger, but a lot of these so called pros that have injuries, when they return to play their GAME, the media slobbers all over them, they are so strong they are so courageous and on and on, WHAT ABOUT OUR VETS, OUR CURRENT MILITARY, OUR POLICE OFFICERS AND FIRE FIGHTERS!!!! OUR MILITARY AND OUR VETS ARE THE STRONG , COURAGEOUS ONES WHO FOUGHT FOR THEM TO PLAY THEIR GAME!!!! Rant over sorry D!!!!

Please to continue to keep my family in your prayers. I love my cyber friends here on the D, great place to land!!!! I haven't got the drive in my life like I use to, I am going to have to change! My GOD will help me get through this! I hope the D, has a great rest of the day!!!!! Prayers for the D!!!!!

Yes they are. Not very tasty though. I'd call it a cross between a baby seal and a snowy owl.

Golf went off without a single raindrop. No Sun either, but at least the wind didn't blow too hard. Played 27 and Walt had had enough. I told him I didn't know how I made it that far with my knees. He said "I noticed earlier that you were wearing knee pads". I showed him that those weren't knee pads, my knees were swolled up like big ticks.

In all the fray I must have forgot to take a shot last week, or two. RA has got me by the...!

Into each life some pain must fall.
31, I installed carpet for over 35 years and I am lucky my knees are in fairly good shape, nothing else works great though!!!!

Got the front yard mowed as soon as I got home. Weed ate too. Way more sticks in the backyard than I thought. Did some pick em up but I'll need to do a little more before I mow back there.

Wife and I are off the Brit tv for a while. We've been watching "Unforgettable" on Prime. This hot chick has perfect memory and she solves crimes. It's a fun show and she usually doesn't talk to me while it's on.

A Roger Maris story for the baseball fans. BTW Roger, Mike Shannon and several other Cardinals used to come down to the Ballard County Ky area to hunt in the winter.

Could be my first sports related argument as a child. Team Ruth here. 6 more games and broke the record in the last game. Still, badass for both since their performance enhancing drug of choice was beer. McGwire and Bonds don't mean nothing to me.

Then there's me, @HymanKaplan...

They allow me to post here and put up with me rather kindly, but I don't deserve it. Welcome to "the store front porch" as Sawnee Cat so well put it

We are very tolerant of those with early-stage dementia. Several of us here have graduated way past that and are in pretty deep now.

Watched a great show today, it was about Texas A&M, the 12th man, I think it was titled No Experience needed, didn't know what the back story was on it till today!!! Then watched a short story about The Museum of the weird in ATX, you been there ATX?
Not yet. Walked past the building many times when I worked downtown. I may check it out here pretty soon and give ya a report.

While I was weed eating my wife called. I told her I wish a kid would come riding up on his bike and ask me if he could mow my yard every week for $5.00

I would give him $20.00

I worked in Chicago for a couple of years at the end of the aughts. We were in a neighborhood one time and I said it must be a retirement community because there were no kids. A guy that lived there said there were probably kids in every house on that streeet. They were all inside playing video games.

I hadn't thought about it or even knew to think about it at that time.

While I was weed eating my wife called. I told her I wish a kid would come riding up on his bike and ask me if he could mow my yard every week for $5.00

I would give him $20.00

I worked in Chicago for a couple of years at the end of the aughts. We were in a neighborhood one time and I said it must be a retirement community because there were no kids. A guy that lived there said there were probably kids in every house on that streeet. They were all inside playing video games.

I hadn't thought about it or even knew to think about it at that time.
I would go out and mow the grass without being told as a kid. I wanted it as low as I could get it for when friends would come over to play wiffle ball. I don't think dad cared though, seeing as how he had bare spots in the yard.

Good morning D

It is nice and peaceful as I sit out here in the dark waiting for the world to wake up. Our beautiful weather will continue today with a current temperature of 64° and wind out of the ESE at 3 mph. Our high will reach 84° about 2 PM. The humidity is not bad and we have a slight cloud cover with a 2% chance of rain. That means I can get in a little yard work and maybe take some yard waste down to the recycle station.

I enjoy those music videos you folks post. It introduces me to some artists and song I am not familiar with. I like that. Music is important to me.

I trust all enjoy the weather and day as much as we are and your day is full of blessings.

00-VGoiT3Y43HCVi5zFo8RP4qAIx90G3xGFQmQ4UHj7teT0Y9gAuwOHRpWHSD0DLvMT

Last edited:
Good morning from ATX. Currently 74ºF, cloudy and windy. Slight rain chance until 9 am. Today's high predicted around 94ºF.

Day 6 and we're feeling good so far. Yesterday, she ate 2 1/2 cans prescription dog food + 4 oz boiled chicken. Finally had a good bowel movement. Removed her harness. Gave her meds. Eating again in just a few. Slowly, but surely we're getting there.

Late congrats to Rhyne Howard, #1 pick in the WNBA draft. Phenomenal player. Go Cats!

Happy Hump Day.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

D4CLcS-WAAExe0Y.jpg

Last edited:
We are experiencing a huge supply and services shortage down this way.

My wife's car has been disabled for 5 weeks due to the inability to get a fuel line.
I need some work on my irrigation system and that will take 8 weeks
I want to replace one of the field lines from my septic tank. How about 5 months!
We are remodeling two bathrooms and I signed a contract 6 weeks ago with the understanding they can not do the work for another 5 months. It is taking 90 days to get tile for the flooring so I made an advance payment so they could get that ordered now.

Meanwhile all of these trades are increasing in price so I locked in the cost by signing a contract. No other way to handle it, this gets my name on the list. There are several reasons for this and most important are getting supplies. When America shut down this created a huge backlog. We are experiencing unbelievable growth and that adds to the issue.

HELP

Since we've been talking baseball, I thought this Quora article on the best outfielder arms was cool.

"In Major League Baseball history, which outfielder is generally regarded as having the best throwing arm from deep to home plate?
https://www.quora.com/In-Major-Leag...the-best-throwing-arm-from-deep-to-home-plate

In the history of Major League Baseball, outfielders with the best throwing arms include the following players. If I forgot anyone really good, please let me know in the comments and I’ll credit you.
  • (#1a) Roberto Clemente aka "El Howitzer" is the modern era leader in outfield assists. Clemente, who won 12 consecutive Gold Gloves, finished his storied career with a staggering 266 assists, including 27 in 1961. And it wasn’t just that Clemente had a powerful, accurate arm. He played right field and threw with rare grace, poise and élan. Clemente would have had even more assists because he averaged 14 per 162 games his last three seasons, before dying prematurely on an overloaded plane while trying to fly material aid to Nicaraguan earthquake victims. Many baseball players are said to have done heroic things on the field, but Clemente was a hero in real life. Also, as with other players on this list, he had limited opportunities because many runners chose not to test his howitzer. You don’t tug on Superman’s cape, you don’t spit into the wind, and you don’t run on the great Roberto Clemente, if you know what’s good for you!

As the immortal Vin Scully once observed: "Clemente could field the ball in New York and throw out a guy in Pennsylvania."
main-qimg-359d7cdadc670d2e9924bf1442e51d27-lq

• (#1b) However, according to the late, great Roberto Clemente, Reggie Smith had the best outfield throwing arm. David Halbertram wrote that players on the other team would gather in their dugout to watch Smith practice throws during pre-game drills! “Spaceman” Bill Lee said in his book that Boston outfielders had a throwing competition in the early 70's to how far up the Green Monster they could reach from the first base line with a running start. Lee said Reggie Smith went last, took just one step from the dugout and threw a ball over the wall and screen!
main-qimg-1b3455473c5a9ef3f5b64decaa3cd2d5-lq

• Dave Winfield, a hall-of-fame outfielder playing for the Yankees in 1983, was arrested for killing a seagull with a thrown ball. The cop who arrested him and fans who witnessed the event claimed that Winfield hit the bird deliberately. But Yankees manager Billy Martin questioned whether Winfield possessed the necessary accuracy: "Cruelty to animals? That's the first time he hit the cut-off man all year!"
  • How’s this for American ingenuity? During WWII the US military created a grenade the size and weight of a baseball because "any young American man should be able to properly throw it."
  • (#2) Ellis Valentine had a cannon. Pete Rose once equated Valentine with two other baseball phenoms: "They say that I can't throw like Ellis Valentine, or run like Tim Raines, or hit with power like Mike Schmidt. Who can?" Rose was speaking rhetorically: no one ran like Tim Raines or hit with power like Mike Schmidt or threw like Ellis Valentine. Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said: “Ellis? Oh, goodness! When I was with the Mets, no one ran on him. They just stopped because he had such a cannon. We always said, ‘Just get on the mound and pitch, Ellis.’ Ellis was awesome.”
  • (#3) Louis Sockalexis was the first prominent Native American to play in the majors. He played for the Cleveland Spiders from 1897-1899 and his notoriety allegedly accounted for the naming of the Cleveland Indians: “Columns of silly poetry are written about him, [and] hideous looking cartoons adorn the sporting pages of nearly every paper,” commented Elmer Bates in Sporting Life. “He is hooted and bawled at by the thimble-brained brigade on the bleachers. Despite this handicap the red man has played good, steady ball, and has been a factor in nearly every victory thus far won by [Cleveland manager Patsy] Tebeau’s team.”

• Bill James rated another Indian as having one of the two best outfield arms of the 1940s. This one was “Indian” Bob Johnson. The other great outfield arm of the 1940s was Vince DiMaggio, according to James.
  • (#4) Jesse Barfield had 20 or more assists in a season three times. He may have had the most powerful arm in MLB history. Many fans and some experts think so. But I believe Clemente and Valentine were a bit more accurate.
  • Raul Mondesi was called "El Cañon" and had 112 assists in just 13 years.
  • Bo Jackson knew how to throw from the warning track to home plate on a line. Jackson was a very rare athlete: able to throw a football 60 years, run 4.2 in the 40-yard dash, and bench press over 400 pounds. Was he the greatest dual-sport athlete ever?
  • Rick Ankiel, a converted pitcher, had a cannon for an arm. Ankiel was an "uber-prospect" with "amazing movement on his pitches." But after a decent rookie year, he started to uncork wild pitch after wild pitch. Eventually, he had to give up pitching. However, he made a comeback as an outfielder with one of the strongest, most accurate arms in the majors. Ironically, the player who lost his accuracy as a pitcher from 60 feet 6 inches away was able to throw strikes from the outfield!
  • Goose Goslin was a converted pitcher with “accuracy issues.” One might say Goose’s arm was “for the birds.” He made playing left field an adventure. When Clark Griffith scouted Goslin, one fly ball hit him in the head and another barely missed his noggin. Shades of Jose Canseco, who once headed a fly ball into the stands for the world's most unusual homer! But Goslin hit three homers that day and Griffith decided to take a chance on the young slugger. Goslin was called "Goose" due to the ungainly way he flapped his arms around while pursuing fly balls (that is, when not dodging them). His throwing arm was powerful but similarly erratic. After bringing up Goose from the minors, the Washington Senators were forced to trade for a young Joe Cronin because their starting shortstop was "exhausted" and had "begun to lose weight rapidly in the summer heat" from running around retrieving Goslin's wayward throws!
  • Bob Lemon got converted “the other way.” Lemon was the opening day center fielder for the Cleveland Indians in 1946. On April 30th of that year Lemon's "daring catch" and strong throw "doubling a man off second base" helped preserve a Bob Feller no-hitter. But two future hall-of-famers, catcher Bill Dickey and shortstop/manager Lou Boudreau, took note of that strong arm and persuaded Lemon to become a pitcher. It proved to be a wise decision, since Lemon hit just .232 for his career. Two years later, in 1948, it was Lemon throwing the no-hitter. He went on to win 207 games and join Dickey and Boudreau in the Hall of Fame!
  • (#5) Shoeless Joe Jackson was another converted pitcher. It was said that in his youth Jackson threw a pitch so hard it broke his catcher’s arm and he was forced to become an outfielder because no one would catch with him on the mound! Jackson averaged 30 assists for three years from 1911 to 1913. Smoky Joe Wood said Shoeless Joe could “throw from deep outfield farther than anybody I ever saw” although he said Tris Speaker was more accurate. Jackson threw a baseball 396' 9" on September 27, 1917, at Fenway Park, defeating Ty Cobb, Tris Speaker and Babe Ruth in a contest.
  • Babe Ruth was also a converted pitcher. He threw out 204 runners, but didn’t even have the best arm in his own outfield …
  • (#6) “Long” Bob Meusel, who played in the same outfield with Babe Ruth for the New York Yankees, had a powerful, accurate throwing arm. He averaged 23 assists per year from 1921 to 1923. That was a very odd Yankees outfield, with two of the best arms of all time flanking Earle Combs in center. Baseball historian Bill James cited Combs as having the weakest outfield arm in MLB history. Talk about feast or famine for base-runners!
  • (#7) Tris Speaker is the all-time leader in outfield assists with 449. He had 35 assists in 1909, then to prove it wasn’t a fluke, he did it again in 1912.
  • (#8) Carl Furillo was called the "Reading Rifle" because of his powerful, accurate throwing arm. He had 24 assists in 1951.
  • (#9) Willie Mays followed up “The Catch” with “The Throw.” Mays had 195 outfield assists and would have had more but most runners chose not to test his arm.
  • (#10) Ichiro Suzuki (a bit more accurate) and Vladimir Guerrero Sr. (a bit stronger arm) in a tie.
  • Bill James cited three Negro Leagues players as having exceptional outfield arms: Jelly Gardner, Martin DiHigo and Cristobal Torriente. But I don’t know how to rank them against my top ten, so I’ll let readers decide for themselves.
  • Conversely, some of the worst outfield arms included “Glass Arm” Eddie Brown, Earle Combs, Johnny Damon (“Looks Like Jesus, Acts Like Judas, Throws Like Mary”), Khris Davis, Sliding Billy Hamilton, John Jay, Juan Pierre, Riggs Stephenson (due to an elbow injury) and Bernie Williams. Merv Rettenmund called Don Baylor "our triple threat: hit, run, and lob." Cliff Keane said: "Don Baylor has a parachute arm. Every time he throws a ball it arcs so high it comes down with frost on it."

• Carl Yastrzemski led the league in assists seven times and finished his career with 195 assists, in a tie with Willie Mays."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT