ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Good morning folks. Hope all is well.

Thanks for that amusing clip on James Brown from "the Blues Brothers" BBUK. I saw "the hardest working man in show biz" as he was always introduced in the early 1980s in DC. Not my first choice in musical genres but the guy was entertaining for sure.

Just this morning on a podcast I listen to during long walks on the History of Rock and Roll I heard how he came up with that opening, "Hardest Working Man in Show Biz."

When he was just starting out, Little Richard was called, "the hardest working man in show business." But Little Richard had just become a huge star with Tutti Fruitti. So big, that he couldn't fulfill contracts he'd booked at dives while also taking more glamorous jobs. So, since very few people knew what he looked like, Little RIchard hired James Brown to impersonate him on a long tour.

I guess James Brown figured if he was doing both his gigs and Little Richard's, he deserved to be called the "hardest working man in show business" and just stole it.

Meet FP260. He is doing well and has passed his test of remaining in the wild and feeding on natural prey. Which is a good thing.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and Florida Fish and Wildlife and Conservation Commission (FWC) continue monitoring FP260’s location. For the past several weeks the panther has been located on public conservation land and feeding on natural prey. Given the panther's recent behavior, we and our conservation partners, including FWC, are pausing plans to remove FP260 from the wild.

274733234_323840076437278_4151866773830449486_n.jpg
Quick investigation indicates FP 260 has become a typical opportunistic subsidized predator. As a subsidized predator he has key lessons to learn for 21st century survival to exist as a free roaming wild lion. His chances are slim unless he has unique genetics.

Last edited:
We have 57° at the moment and the temperature will reach 82° by this afternoon. No is forecast and skies should be sunny all day. I need to get outside and cut back some plants that had freeze and frost damage. I don't think I will lose any but they need trimming.

I am anxious to play the Gators tomorrow and expect a nice win. Next week is the SEC tournament down in Tampa. That is a great venue if you want to have s nice time. Lots to do in that area. The tournament should be a good test for our Cats.
I think that the Gators will look at UK as their Super Bowl and bring out the big guns.

At 9-8 in the SEC I don't see them getting into the NCAA without a big win.

Also because of the unbalanced schedule UK is already in the lowest level of the byes for the SEC Tourney, so it really does not matter if UK wins or not. I just hope and pray that UK does not get someone hurt.

You are probably right, but state/gov sponsored gambling irks me to no end and it really bothers me to go in and pay and be in line behind people buying lottery tickets.
I use a card every damned time.

I can stop payment any time I want, so I don't worry much. Plus my Sam's card gives me 6% off any gas purchase so at $3.25 per gallon that is a big discount.

I have a friend we all call Skeeter and he has a wandering eye. That thing was fun too. I was always confused or just laughing. Of course, nobody ever knew if he was on drugs or not plus he played the game turning that sucker loose to roam around just to mess you up. And it flipping worked. Both his eye and catfusion.​
tumblr_na6hfghEw81tyacgho1_500.gif

I have a friend we all call Skeeter and he has a wandering eye. That thing was fun too. I was always confused or just laughing. Of course, nobody ever knew if he was on drugs or not plus he played the game turning that sucker loose to roam around just to mess you up. And it flipping worked. Both his eye and catfusion.​

Yuse a trip! 😅

I use a card every damned time.

I can stop payment any time I want, so I don't worry much. Plus my Sam's card gives me 6% off any gas purchase so at $3.25 per gallon that is a big discount.
I despise Wal-Mart and Sams Club. We had a set of tires put on at Sams. They torqued one to tight and a wheel came off while we were at highway speed. They would not take care of it. All I asked was pay for towing and repairs, no threat of a lawsuit or extra money. Originally the store manager agreed, but neither he or Sams backed it up.

I despise Wal-Mart and Sams Club. We had a set of tires put on at Sams. They torqued one to tight and a wheel came off while we were at highway speed. They would not take care of it. All I asked was pay for towing and repairs, no threat of a lawsuit or extra money. Originally the store manager agreed, but neither he or Sams backed it up.

Walmart is a lesser evil I indulge but it is not because I want to. (Despise Target even more.) We had a Sam's membership previously and really only for the gas. Ended up now with a costco membership that we spilt between my daughters. They have some good meats and we have bought King Crab legs several times and some specials. We really go inside to let our BB run around. He has learned to stay within a certain area and when people come around he stops his horseplay well. We do have fun. BB is downstairs now with my Darling. My Darling giving my older bones a break but I am thankful.

A busy day tomorrow that starts at 8:15 or so. I will try to keep up with the game and events...

Who'd thunk Ole Grayson would be a cheapshot artist in the league... He sure practiced his craft well in the NCAA...

Last edited:
Saturday Morning coming down... (It's close..)

My cousin's daughter divorced her husband because he wanted to, & did nothing but hunt.

Walmart is a lesser evil I indulge but it is not because I want to. (Despise Target even more.) We had a Sam's membership previously and really only for the gas. Ended up now with a costco membership that we spilt between my daughters. They have some good meats and we have bought King Crab legs several times and some specials.
I love their salmon. Buy 2-2.5# filets & cut up in 6-8 pieces & freeze. Eat one about every 5 days. After I dethaw.

Last edited:
Johnny and June...

Good Sunny Morning

It is a little after 7:00 in the morning and we have 58° and sun will shine bright all day as we hit 86°. zero chance of rain.

I woke up this morning with a little tingle in my throat from the night air last night. So I made a cup of honey, lemon, water and a sprinkle of bourbon to knock it out before it is something. I ain't got time for no head colds. They say local honey is the best for you and just up the road a man has a stand that sells Orange Blossom Honey our of his grove. Good stuff.

The Cats need a win over the Gators to keep their edge. Tip Off at 2:00 EST. CBS.

I smell sausage frying and my wife is going to fry up a pan of apples. Love those fried apples. Trust all are well

Good Sunny Morning

It is a little after 7:00 in the morning and we have 58° and sun will shine bright all day as we hit 86°. zero chance of rain.

I woke up this morning with a little tingle in my throat from the night air last night. So I made a cup of honey, lemon, water and a sprinkle of bourbon to knock it out before it is something. I ain't got time for no head colds. They say local honey is the best for you and just up the road a man has a stand that sells Orange Blossom Honey our of his grove. Good stuff.

The Cats need a win over the Gators to keep their edge. Tip Off at 2:00 EST. CBS.

I smell sausage frying and my wife is going to fry up a pan of apples. Love those fried apples. Trust all are well
Now if you had a black iron full of biscuits...........a little gravy........maaaaaybe a couple of messy eggs.......see y'all.......I am headed to Cracker Barrel to meet my pigeon buddies for our Saturday morning round table..........

Now if you had a black iron full of biscuits...........a little gravy........maaaaaybe a couple of messy eggs.......see y'all.......I am headed to Cracker Barrel to meet my pigeon buddies for our Saturday morning round table..........
Oh, yes we will have all of the above. With the exception of a "little gravy". We will have a lot of gravy as it is a beverage in our house. We still cook with our cast iron skillets. My grandma used them 100 years ago

Last edited:

Walmart is a lesser evil I indulge but it is not because I want to. (Despise Target even more.) We had a Sam's membership previously and really only for the gas. Ended up now with a costco membership that we spilt between my daughters. They have some good meats and we have bought King Crab legs several times and some specials. We really go inside to let our BB run around. He has learned to stay within a certain area and when people come around he stops his horseplay well. We do have fun. BB is downstairs now with my Darling. My Darling giving my older bones a break but I am thankful.

A busy day tomorrow that starts at 8:15 or so. I will try to keep up with the game and events...
Wal Mart and Sam's club increase my standard of living quite a bit. They have good products at low prices. Why would I want to pay more at Kroger's for the exact same product?

The rush can be a pain sometimes but I fine it worth it as I am one cheap dude.

Good morning folks. Very enjoyable hike today. Cool and clear. I'm seeing a proliferation of magnificent predatory birds in the woods in recent days. Actually saw a Barred Owl, which aren't uncommon but hard to spot, some very large hawks and an osprey which has wandered into our ecosystem along a lake.

Just lifted up my iPhone and caught this medium-sized Cooper's Hawk (I think) lifting off.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 65°F and cloudy. Light wind out of the south. Today's high predicted around 80°F.

Kim Mulkey went ballistic last night at end of LSU/LadyCats game from Nashville. Ha ha, threw an assistant of out of the way. She thought her player was fouled by a UK player and it was not called. Kim got a technical. Wish she'd stayed at Baylor. Vols vs LadyCats today.

Cats at Gators today. Last regular season game starts at 2 pm EST. Go Cats!

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

5-1-300x300.png

Wal Mart and Sam's club increase my standard of living quite a bit. They have good products at low prices. Why would I want to pay more at Kroger's for the exact same product?

The rush can be a pain sometimes but I fine it worth it as I am one cheap dude.
Neither are my favorite shopping experience, but I get the value equation & appreciate that. We hit W-M now & then, but there's a deli & three other food stores considerably closer than nearest W-M.

Back in the pre-cart days early in our marriage I let my wife walk along with me while I was playing golf (they had only recently transitioned from wooden to iron shafts). I finally had to gently say, "Honey, you can't be talking to me when I'm swinging at the ball." It hurt her feelings and she never tagged along again.

"Somebody go get the manager. There's a little kid back there that is tearing up the store!"

• Haha
Reactions: _Rooster and BBUK

The rush can be a pain sometimes but I fine it worth it as I am one frugal dude.

Fify Sir.... I am frugal to the max too but I really do not like a lot of things Walmart supports. Really not a better alternative around here as there is a big difference in their prices.

Last edited:
Good morning folks. Very enjoyable hike today. Cool and clear. I'm seeing a proliferation of magnificent predatory birds in the woods in recent days. Actually saw a Barred Owl, which aren't uncommon but hard to spot, some very large hawks and an osprey which has wandered into our ecosystem along a lake.

Just lifted up my iPhone and caught this medium-sized Cooper's Hawk (I think) lifting off.
Your image appears to me an immature red-tailed hawk. Frequently they are confused for immature Cooper's. There also exists a size overlap of female Cooper's hawks and the male red-tail adding to that. They are avian examples of convergent adaptation where immature of woodland species of intermediate sized avian predators are camoflaged for foraging the same ecotone (Woodland edges) where prey density/diversity are highest. Further investion could be expected characterized with the Buteo (red-tail) and the Accipiter (Cooper's) fledges developing more their specialized foraging strategies as they mature. RTH vs. Cooper's​

Last edited:
Your image appears to me an immature red-tailed hawk. Frequently they are confused for immature Cooper's. There also exists a size overlap of female Cooper's hawks and the male red-tail adding to that. They are avian examples of covergent adaptation where immature of woodland species of intermediate sized avian predators are camoflaged for foraging the same ecotone (Woodland edges) where prey density/diversity is highest. Further investion could be expected charterized with the Buteo (red-tail) and the Accipiter (Cooper's) fledges developing more their specialized foraging strategies as they mature. RTH vs. Cooper's​
Thanks Rooster. You are most likely correct. Both types are common in the woods near us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT