ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Good morning from ATX. Currently 36°F, clear and calm. High approaching 70°F today. Nice.

Oh, those Bengals were so close -- again. Last night reminded me of a little of Super Bowl XXIII in 1989 in which game-winning drive also happened late in 4th quarter. Loved the effort. Burrow needs better protection.

Pizza Hut stuffed crust pizza: Grabbed one yesterday for the game. Fantastic. Wife loves it much more than I.

Cats visit Vols tomorrow night in Knoxville. Gonna be tough without key players.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

Oatmeal-Monday.jpg

Hello all, have a great day.

I watched the scores some to see the outcome. My Darling and I were out and about. We did stop at Little Caesar's and got one of their $5.88 carryout specials with extra cheese and light sauce. (Wasn't nearly as busy as I thought it would be. It was around 6pm too.) My Darling likes that type pizza piping hot, I let mine cool down a bit. Between us we ate all but two pieces sitting in our car with a coke to wash it down. (I ate the other two pieces later.)

I think I may go for some oatmeal this morning after my apple, cottage cheese, and coffee. Haven't had that for a while and we have some on the shelf. Take care...

Good morning! Next football will be the Spring game. UK is gonna have what might be the best team of my life this year. Great returning talent, great incoming talent, fan interest through the roof. Can't wait.

Lots of cooking went on here yesterday. Lots of dishes will be done today. And tunes.

My wife and I did Valentines Day last night. I said "you didn't get me anything did you" she said no and I said good.

Good morning D-League. I went to bed figuring the Bengals game wouldn't bum me out that much, then woke up depressed about it. Mostly for my father and son, who had gotten more invested in it.

Ah well, that's life for a sports fan.

Back to work. My countdown of Mondays before my absolute last work day when I turn 70 and can max out Social Security continues- 157 to go. Not sure I'll make that - either by my choice or theirs - but I know for sure I ain't going beyond that.

A good day to all.

Good morning D-League. I went to bed figuring the Bengals game wouldn't bum me out that much, then woke up depressed about it. Mostly for my father and son, who had gotten more invested in it.

Back to work. My countdown of Mondays before my absolute last work day when I turn 70 and can max out Social Security continues- 157 to go. Not sure I'll make that - either by my choice or theirs - but I know for sure I ain't going beyond that.

A good day to all.
You're going to depress yourself thinking about how many weeks it is till retirement. Three years isn't that long....

A good day to all.
I used to work at a uranium enrichment plant. They said the average retiree from there lived 18 months, but I'm sure various things about the work helped cause that. My point of the post though, is be sure you have something that keeps you busy when you retire.

I used to work at a uranium enrichment plant. They said the average retiree from there lived 18 months, but I'm sure various things about the work helped cause that. My point of the post though, is be sure you have something that keeps you busy when you retire.
Good point Bernie. I have lots of travel planned and some writing projects blocked out.

My wife wanted to watch the halftime show. She hadn't seen one minute of the game. I guarantee someone somewhere is going to tell me this was the best halftime show since Prince sang in the rain. I may have understood 3 words.
And there you go. Matt Jones just said it was the second best halftime show since Prince sang in the rain. Ryan Lemond said he wanted it to go on and on.

I told my wife while it was going on that less than half of the people at the stadium were able to even see the show.

My parents told me the music I listened to when I was young was trash. Funny that untold millions still listen to that very music all over the world to this day. The people who recognized those songs last night have not heard them on the radio for years. Get off my lawn with that crap.

If the Lord doesn't take me home I plan on retiring between 62 and 65. (I really wish I could now but the health insurance is important.)(I can live on less.) I have plenty to do and a whole bunch of things I want to do.

I have two statements I rarely use. One is, "I don't have time." (Everyone has the same 24 hours per day unless they die.) Manage your time. The other is, "I can't". (I can do most anything except Brain surgery. ;)) I despise people or me limiting themselves/ myself. One area I spend my focus is; "You can do it, do it! (All that is left, is the want to...)

. . . . . . .

. . . . . . .

On retirement: I retired when I was 53 years old. I lived in Jacksonville when I retired. My last day was 1-30-2000. I spent three months prepping our house for sale. In April my wife and I came to Kentucky to look at several places we had discussed possibly retiring to: Henderson, Bowling Green, Elizabethtown and Glasgow areas.

We ended up in Smiths Grove as we found the house we liked, close to our families, good internet & cable, good water system, natural gas and most importantly no red light! One important thing to consider is where you retire. My real estate taxes in Jacksonville were $4,200 a year. I buy a comparable property in Smiths Grove and my taxes that year were less than $1,000. Sure Kentucky has state income taxes and in the last 21 years I have had to pay out a grand total of a little over $200. Sales tax is 6% but is not applicable on food and drugs. I have saved possibly $60,000 just on real estate taxes.

I had a list of things that I wanted to do when I retired. After getting settled in the house we played golf once a week and I attacked my music collection. I took all of my CD's and copied them on to my own CD's so I could get more songs onto my 301 disk player. I ended up getting 6,600+ songs onto it. I then made three excel spreadsheets; one by disk order, one by song order and one by artist order. Printed and put the list in three binders. (This was before your computer memory was large).

I had a large attic space up stairs that simply was never finished. So in 2001 I redid the attic. In 2003 I removed a wall up stairs and made another den up there. I built a landing over the foyer and redid the stairs and made them 12" wide and out of oak. Then in 2005 I build my workshop (with help on the framing and brick) and above it built a bed and bath for company.

I then became Commissioner for my little town for 6 years and then Mayor for 4. By then I was 68 and decided it was time to quit.

You really need to have things to do, but my problem is that I always think up more things than I can possibly do.

My take is retire as soon as you think you can and enjoy the things you love while you still can.

A good day to all.
Just a thought: Don't know if you have a 401k or IRA, but what I learned was that by waiting to 70 to take SS, I created more income from that, then plus the required retirement withdrawals (RMD's) at 72, I increased our taxes. Had I taken SS earlier, I could have taken retirement withdrawals earlier at lower total income/taxes & the added RMD money wouldn't have been as large. Together, taxes would be lowered. Net, not at all sure we have more money after tax than had I taken SS earlier. The issue is known as the Tax Torpedo and is discussed online.

Here ya go bernie, I don't know if you've ever heard of this study, but the results were very interesting. I was on a nuclear plant when this information was released so I had a definite interest in researching it. Here's the abstract, but the full report, with all the results, seems to prove that exposure to low level amounts of gamma radiation is actually GOOD for humans.

I bolded a few things that I feel are pertinent. For whatever reason.

Abstract

The Nuclear Shipyard Workers Study (NSWS) was designed to determine whether there was an excess risk of leukemia or other cancers associated with exposure to low levels of gamma radiation. The study was conducted at a cost of more than $10 million through a contract from the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) to Matanoski at Johns Hopkins University, School of Hygiene and Public Health. The study was initiated in 1978. The study was completed in 1987. The results have never been published in the scientific literature. In 1991 the DOE made the 437-page study available to the public with a 2-page press release. In the debate on the health effects of low-level radiation, this study, which is perhaps the largest and best of its kind, with better dosimetry than most studies of large exposed populations, is largely ignored. It is fair to assume that if the result of this study had indicated a statistically significant 24% INCREASE in cancer mortality among the radiation-exposed shipyard workers, instead of a 24% DECREASE, there would have been extreme media and political and scientific attention (or perhaps even for a 2 to 4% statistically insignificant increase).

This is similar to the second hand smoke study that proved beyond a shadow of doubt that second hand smoke had led to no deaths, let alone the 4500 per year that was claimed. That study was faked to get the desired outcome and the people performing the study were going to be indicted by the AG. They never were though and the Cancer Society and Heart Association continue to use the false information.

Here ya go bernie, I don't know if you've ever heard of this study, but the results were very interesting. I was on a nuclear plant when this information was released so I had a definite interest in researching it. Here's the abstract, but the full report, with all the results, seems to prove that exposure to low level amounts of gamma radiation is actually GOOD for humans.

I bolded a few things that I feel are pertinent. For whatever reason.

Abstract

The Nuclear Shipyard Workers Study (NSWS) was designed to determine whether there was an excess risk of leukemia or other cancers associated with exposure to low levels of gamma radiation. The study was conducted at a cost of more than $10 million through a contract from the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) to Matanoski at Johns Hopkins University, School of Hygiene and Public Health. The study was initiated in 1978. The study was completed in 1987. The results have never been published in the scientific literature. In 1991 the DOE made the 437-page study available to the public with a 2-page press release. In the debate on the health effects of low-level radiation, this study, which is perhaps the largest and best of its kind, with better dosimetry than most studies of large exposed populations, is largely ignored. It is fair to assume that if the result of this study had indicated a statistically significant 24% INCREASE in cancer mortality among the radiation-exposed shipyard workers, instead of a 24% DECREASE, there would have been extreme media and political and scientific attention (or perhaps even for a 2 to 4% statistically insignificant increase).

This is similar to the second hand smoke study that proved beyond a shadow of doubt that second hand smoke had led to no deaths, let alone the 4500 per year that was claimed. That study was faked to get the desired outcome and the people performing the study were going to be indicted by the AG. They never were though and the Cancer Society and Heart Association continue to use the false information.
I worked power and utilities, so my exposure was limited compared to some. Guys who worked the feed plant were particularly hard hit. Two of my good friends died of a cancer they caught while working the feed plant. The gov paid for a lot of people's med bills, but that is to little to late. I really don't think the gov knew how dangerous it was at the time though (at least the lower level managers didn't know). Every few years, I still get a call telling me I get a free physical (including MRI's) because I worked there. Actually I may have been included in that study, because it seems like Johns Hopkins got the results of my physical and I haven't been called about a physical in several years.

I worked power and utilities, so my exposure was limited compared to some. Guys who worked the feed plant were particularly hard hit. Two of my good friends died of a cancer they caught while working the feed plant. The gov paid for a lot of people's med bills, but that is to little to late. I really don't think the gov knew how dangerous it was at the time though (at least the lower level managers didn't know). Every few years, I still get a call telling me I get a free physical (including MRI's) because I worked there. Actually I may have been included in that study, because it seems like Johns Hopkins got the results of my physical and I haven't been called about a physical in several years.
The people in that study were exposed to gamma radiation and I would assume a lot of it was from radiography. Particulate, airborne radiation would be more likely to cause a tumor to grow.

The people in that study were exposed to gamma radiation and I would assume a lot of it was from radiography. Particulate, airborne radiation would be more likely to cause a tumor to grow.
Here's the study I was in.

I like this one too...

Last edited:
Bert had the right idea about retirement. About 55, if you can plan for it and pull it off. That gives you at least 15 good years to be able to do all the things you want to do. If you are in your early 60s and think you are going to feel the same and be as able in your 70s as you are now - think again. Get 'er done in your good 60s.
Great advice. Wish I could.

My wife started collecting social security this month. I'm vested with my current employer, and could retire now, but cannot begin drawing a check until November, 2026. Problem if I retire now is our combined monthly income only comes out to about $2,500/mo -- not counting investments -- until I'm eligible for SS after 11/2023.

Plan is remain at current position until March, 2026 and am immediately retirement eligible at that time. I'm lucky, my director is great. Co-workers are great. We've worked from home for the past two years. I might take 5 weeks vacation this coming year. Currently have over five months sick leave saved. Life is good.

Bert had the right idea about retirement. About 55, if you can plan for it and pull it off. That gives you at least 15 good years to be able to do all the things you want to do. If you are in your early 60s and think you are going to feel the same and be as able in your 70s as you are now - think again. Get 'er done in your good 60s.
Was one of the reasons I retired earlier than planned at 63. Was going to wait until 67 but poor leadership helped me reevaluate my plan and I retired 1 September 2020 one month after turning 63. I ran the numbers and knew I could be alright if I budgeted better. Now with 4 checks coming in (mil ret. civil service retirement, SS, and 401K) I do alright. Wife still working helps a lot.

Great advice. Wish I could.

My wife started collecting social security this month. I'm vested with my current employer, and could retire now, but cannot begin drawing a check until November, 2026. Problem if I retire now is our combined monthly income only comes out to about $2,500/mo -- not counting investments -- until I'm eligible for SS after 11/2023.

Plan is remain at current position until March, 2026 and am immediately retirement eligible at that time. I'm lucky, my director is great. Co-workers are great. We've worked from home for the past two years. I might take 5 weeks vacation this coming year. Currently have over five months sick leave saved. Life is good.

I'm with you ATXC,
My outlook has changed a bunch now since I took the option to where I can work from anywhere in the United States with my home address being my work address. Of course the locality pay plays a lot into it. If we'd decide to move to SC to our other home I'd lose about 20% of my monthly income but if my Darling and I decided to do it tomorrow, we could. That is comforting and it may prolong my retirement. Still looking for another job but I can now be very picky. I turned down two jobs last month where as before I'd have probably taken one of them. I am thankful. I know plenty are not in my situation now. The flexibility is very comforting. (My current Supervisor is great. (He and I knew of each other back at Bragg. We never hung together but we knew each other. He retired, I didn't.) My Supervisor is having some health issues though and I worry for him and try my best to de-stress his work-life. Who knows what another supervisor would bring though the other supervisor could not take away my remote privilege's. (I have those in writing and with criteria.) I am thankful...

Like you I have used my sick leave and annual leave sparingly. I have 208 hours I must use by the end of the year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT