ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

With the cost of everything skyrocketing one thing that is probably less than it was 50 years ago is a TV set. This TV cost $499 which is about $2,500 in today's dollars.
271141961_10165782543495534_3477238318890107091_n.jpg
We were lucky back in those days. You couldn't see all the missed calls on those tv's.

I turned on channel 27 in Lexington and what a mess that is. Traffic on I75 between Lexington and Richmond is averaging 6 mph. Temperatures tonight are in single digits. That is cold I don't care who you are.
Think about those all-mighty electric cars we are supposed to buy in this sheeit!!!! Would have to drag a generator hooked to a gas tanker!!!!!

I took my folk's Caddy in for repair right when the snow started. I tried to kill two birds with one stone because my MIL had some heavy lifting for me and she lives a stone's throw from the shop. Unfortunately the part for the Caddy was delayed due to the snow so I had to spend a murderous 3 1/2 hours with my MIL. On top of that Jefferson County let schools out early and traffic was backed up for a good 1/2 mile by the time I finally picked up the car. As usual, I couldn't get the car up my parent's steep driveway so I had to leave it parked on the street. Normal snow stuff. Fortunately we really don't have to deal with it that often.

Chilly down here too. Cold north wind. Temps may reach 29°F by tomorrow morning.

Listening to Lady Cats vs UGA. Cats 29, Dawgs 24. Go Cats!

Drinking a Guinness Nitro Stout.
Did not get up above 28 here today with 30mph winds. It is 21 now with the winds. Getting ready to fire up some Glu Wein and just relax.

Went to Ft. Sill today to get some documents taken care of and take my wife out to eat lunch and then on to Karate class. Got to class only to find that my two students would not be there because both were sick. One tested positive for Covid according to her father. Both were off last week so I have not been around them since just before Christmas. The one who tested positive for Covid went with her husband and brother last week to Kansas for some sprint car racing as both her husband and brother race. 5 people in their group come up positive.

RIP Peter Bogdanovich. His masterpiece was "The Last Picture Show" in my opinion. Best soundtrack in any movie, and a deeply poignant look at the already fading away in the 1970s small town life in the south.

Here's a favorite scene that shows how he captured the way people really talked and felt, as Sam the Lion looks back on his younger, wilder days.

I wasn't familiar with Peter RIP, but I sure liked Ben Johnson as an actor.

Shoot, I still sled if I get a chance...
Me too. Way back in the day, we built a downhill bobsled track while training out near Bad Hersfeld near the border. Ha ha, a few soldiers got injured, some sorta seriously, after hauling ass down a hill at 60 MPH/100 KPH and not stopping.

Ah, good old days.................

I was talking to my wife earlier today and she ask me about something (don't remember what) but when I answered correctly she says: "How did you know that?" I told her I learned that from the D-league, those old guys know some stuff. All but 1 anyways.
There is about 1000 years of experience in the D. No other thread can claim that. We know stuff. We've been places. We've done things.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 30°F with a light breeze. Indoor temperature with heater off is 63°F. Wife likes it cool. Heater should kick on in a minute. Our high for today may reach 53°F.

UGA visits Rupp tomorrow. On call-in show earlier this week, Cal stated PG rotation normally goes Wheeler, Washington, Mintz and Grady. Injuries determine who starts. Still hearing Wheeler is day-to-day. Hope he's better soon. Young man is pure energy.

Happy Friday!

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

NATIONAL-TEMPURA-DAY-%E2%80%93-January-7.png

Morning Legionnaires! Gird up those Loins and go make some Coins!

13° this morning 60° in the house. Turned the heat up so my wife could get ready to go and make those coins. Today is supposed to be the last day according to the deadline she last received but, they have not told her anything on whether or not her exemption will be accepted. In fact, they have not said anything to anyone nor has there been any correspondence at all. Their project manager back in early December said that she washes her hands of the whole thing, and you get what you get when the time comes. Great leadership.

@AustinTXCat, What the Heck over! That looks like a couple of scrawny chicken legs coming out of that dish.

Good Morning all, I hope your day is great! I can see blacktop this morning. At least my street missed the snow last night. (So far.)

A good read: (I couldn't cite it as it was not sited but posted on FB. My Army Buddy posted the post from another that posted it. I could not share it directly.)

A cowboy named Bud was overseeing his herd in a remote mountainous pasture in Montana when suddenly a brand-new BMW advanced toward him out of a cloud of dust.

The driver, a young man in a Brioni® suit, Gucci® shoes, RayBan® sunglasses and YSL® tie, leaned out the window and asked the cowboy, "If I tell you exactly how many cows and calves you have in your herd, will you give me a calf?"
Bud looks at the man, who obviously is a yuppie, then looks at his peacefully grazing herd and calmly answers, "Sure, why not?"

The yuppie parks his car, whips out his Dell® notebook computer, connects it to his Cingular RAZR V3® cell phone, and surfs to a NASA page on the Internet, where he calls up a GPS satellite to get an exact fix on his location which he then feeds to another NASA satellite that scans the area in an ultra-high-resolution photo.

The young man then opens the digital photo in Adobe Photoshop® and exports it to an image processing facility in Hamburg, Germany ...Within seconds, he receives an email on his Palm Pilot® that the image has been processed and the data stored. He then accesses an MS-SQL® database through an ODBC connected Excel® spreadsheet with email on his Blackberry® and, after a few minutes, receives a response.

Finally, he prints out a full-color, 150-page report on his hi-tech, miniaturized HP LaserJet® printer, turns to the cowboy and says, "You have exactly 1,586 cows and calves."

"That's right. Well, I guess you can take one of my calves," says Bud.

He watches the young man select one of the animals and looks on with amusement as the young man stuffs it into the trunk of his car.

Then Bud says to the young man, "Hey, if I can tell you exactly what your business is, will you give me back my calf?"
The young man thinks about it for a second and then says, "Okay, why not?"

"You're a Congressman for the U.S. Government", says Bud.

"Wow! That's correct," says the yuppie, "but how did you guess that?"

"No guessing required." answered the cowboy. "You showed up here even though nobody called you; you want to get paid for an answer I already knew, to a question I never asked. You used millions of dollars worth of equipment trying to show me how much smarter than me you are; and you don't know a thing about how working people make a living - or about cows, for that matter.

This is a herd of sheep. Now give me back my dog.
AND THAT FOLKS IS WHAT THE PROBLEM IS ALL ABOUT

Last edited:
I was heart broken when I found out Tom T Hall took his own life with a gun shot to the head. Perhaps he never got over the death of his beloved wife, Dixie. I hate that it ended that way. He was one of the greatest song writers of all.

271587527_461996485298139_3517933300701202427_n.jpg

I sure have enjoyed his body of work. Too tragic an ending to comprehend. Just totally saddening.

Here’s a tom t song you’ve probably never heard. sometime in the ‘80s he was contracted by armco steel corporation to compose a song about steel mill life. after spending some time in the town where their main mill was located, meeting some local steelworkers, even visiting one of the popular watering holes where workers often stopped, he wrote this song—which was flatly rejected by armco management.

Last edited:
Good morning folks.

I've updated my status: I'm Day to Day. When I need to change that to Hour to Hour I'll let you know.

Sorry to hear about Tom T.'s end. I knew lots of folks from Olive Hill in my pipeliner days - it was a real nest of Local 798 hands - and they all seemed to know him or his family, and had good things to say.

Here's my favorite song of his. Great character sketch, full of insight into the reality behind our childhood heroes.

Good morning folks.

I've updated my status: I'm Day to Day. When I need to change that to Hour to Hour I'll let you know.

Sorry to hear about Tom T.'s end. I knew lots of folks from Olive Hill in my pipeliner days - it was a real nest of Local 798 hands - and they all seemed to know him or his family, and had good things to say.

Here's my favorite song of his. Great character sketch, full of insight into the reality behind our childhood heroes.
Sorry to repeat BBUK's post on Clayton Delaney. Things were moving too fast. But I'll leave it up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT