ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Good morning from ATX. Currently 71°F and cloudy. Humid. Weather person says today's high reaches 79°F. We are unseasonably warm. Cooler temps coming.

I have not yet looked, but Cats still playing somebody tomorrow, perhaps UNC Tarheels? Stay tuned.

Happy Friday!

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

national_maple_syrup_day__by_uranimated18_deam94h-fullview.jpg

Good Friday morning

As grandpa would say, we/ve made it thus far. We have 61° and will get to 81° by mid afternoon. Christmas times a coming so I hope all are ready. I finished up yestereday

I wish all of the D League good health and peace in your heart during this Christmas season. Let the world go into the ditch but for me and my house we will drive between the lines.

I smell bacon frying and pancakes will be served up in a matter of minutes. Trust all have a great day

Good morning folks. Heading out in a bit to catch an Amtrack train to Penn Station in Manhattan. My wife's family has their Christmas party tomorrow, and we go every few years when I'm feeling in the mood. Sometimes I feel in the mood when I say yes, then don't when it comes time to slog up the eastern seaboard to New York. But usually we manage to have a good time, and enjoy some of the Christmas trappings of that city.

I hope you all have a good weekend. Crazy to think this is the last one before Christmas.

Good morning folks. Heading out in a bit to catch an Amtrack train to Penn Station in Manhattan. My wife's family has their Christmas party tomorrow, and we go every few years when I'm feeling in the mood. Sometimes I feel in the mood when I say yes, then don't when it comes time to slog up the eastern seaboard to New York. But usually we manage to have a good time, and enjoy some of the Christmas trappings of that city.

I hope you all have a good weekend. Crazy to think this is the last one before Christmas.
I really enjoyed the train. I could get from Baltimore to New York a lot faster than flying and it was no bother. I could walk from Penn Station down to Madison Avenue or to the World Trade Center.

Plus they would serve you a good drink on the way home.

I really enjoyed the train. I could get from Baltimore to New York a lot faster than flying and it was no bother. I could walk from Penn Station down to Madison Avenue or to the World Trade Center.

Yeah, in my younger work days I took the Acela to NYC quite often. Much preferred it to the air shuttle.

Good morning! I had some tentative plans for the day with a friend who was going to come over and play "workshop" with me. I don't know where those plans stand now because my wife has taken off from work today to use up some time she had left over.

I was sitting here thinking about December 17th. I knew there was supposed to be something about that day but I couldn't put my finger on it. Then it hit me. It's our wedding anniversary today. It didn't actually hit me, I did call out to my wife in another room and ask her if it was and she confirmed.

I have to, I HAVE TO, go with her to some to do at her Attorney's house on Saturday. She knows the rule but she didn't choose the day. Dude says I can watch the game in his basement mancave and the other attorney is a big Cat fan. Not optimum conditions but I can make it work.

Have a great day!

Good morning! I had some tentative plans for the day with a friend who was going to come over and play "workshop" with me. I don't know where those plans stand now because my wife has taken off from work today to use up some time she had left over.

I was sitting here thinking about December 17th. I knew there was supposed to be something about that day but I couldn't put my finger on it. Then it hit me. It's our wedding anniversary today. It didn't actually hit me, I did call out to my wife in another room and ask her if it was and she confirmed.

I have to, I HAVE TO, go with her to some to do at her Attorney's house on Saturday. She knows the rule but she didn't choose the day. Dude says I can watch the game in his basement mancave and the other attorney is a big Cat fan. Not optimum conditions but I can make it work.

Have a great day!
Happy Anniversary

Have a great day!
Happy anniversary

happy-anniversary-balloon.gif

I/we traveled by train a lot when we were at my daughter's in England.....we lived just a little over a mile and a half from Ely Train Station.....once you learn their systems........traveling by train and tube is the best.......I could see not owning a vehicle if I had those options............ironically........the financing for the original tube system in London came from American financiers.........also we are spread out compared to them.........

Have a great day!
Happy Anniversary!

I/we traveled by train a lot when we were at my daughter's in England.....we lived just a little over a mile and a half from Ely Train Station.....once you learn their systems........traveling by train and tube is the best.......I could see not owning a vehicle if I had those options............ironically........the financing for the original tube system in London came from American financiers.........also we are spread out compared to them.........

I didn't mind the VRE ride between my home and DC (40 to 45 minute commute) nor the metro's at times the 3 plus years I did it. Now, not so much, I can easily do without it but I would like to take a good long trip on an Amtrak once to say I did it. Not much on flying though I have taken my share of flights. I'd rather drive now. Just too much bustle in the hustle....

I have a scar on my left shoulder that is about 55 years old. I was not only vaccinated, I was branded to prove it later. I say that to say this, we've been getting vaccinated for years because researchers have been creating vaccines for years. Surely no one would argue that vaccines have been a net negative for civilization.

These corona viruses have been studied for many years and more than 300 vaccines have been created. 2 have been OK'd for use. The entire world was working on this vaccine and there were literally thousands of volunteers from all around the world to test its efficacy and safety. Add in public demand for expediency that greased the wheels of a normally dormant beaurocracy, and you end up seeing what we do when we work together.

SARS and MERS are also Corona viruses have been studied extensively. Medical technology is more advanced than when we first started dealing with those and DNA is much more easily mapped now than it was just a decade ago.

Add it all up and you are taking a bigger chance each time you get in your car of dying or being impaired than you do from a vaccine. It's science and I stand behind it.

TlDr: a collective "you" was utilized at all times. my pronoun is Mr.

Have a great day!
Happy Anniversary!!!!!!!!!

Yes. “we are spread out compared to them.........”.

When it comes to railroad economics I am an expert. 32 years as an official at CSX in Sales and Marketing.

By the time I retired in January 2000 the Washington to Boston run was on my railroad: CSX. The federal government subsidizes the hell out of Amtrak and it is electrified between just south of Baltimore to Boston. To my knowledge it is the only section of U.S. rail under Amtrak that is electrified. It is fast and actually makes money, or made money when I retired.

Let me educate you on Amtrak. Amtrak was a Federal government program crammed down the throats of the U.S. railroad companies. We at the railroad could not say no because the feds meant business. We had this thing called the Interstate Commerce Commission and they dictated terms to private businesses that they dictated terms to, the private railroads.

I started to work for the L&N in May 1968, straight out of college. The L&N was getting out of passenger rail business (we actually did not know that the federal government would force us to do something that would make us lose money – we were stupid at that point) as you could not make any money hauling around human beings via rail. From Cincinnati to New Orleans (an L&N run) you could fly in a little over two hours at one third the price of going via rail and rail would take you hours and hours and hours. So unable to compete with buses and planes the railroads were getting out of the passenger business, or at the least we thought we were.

Then Uncle Sam decided that those damned railroads could not do that to those poor folks who wanted to travel via rail; although they were incredible low in numbers. So, the U.S government forced the railroads to offer passenger service at a loss.

Everyone talks about the great rail service in Europe or Japan or England. They never talk about the massive subsidies that it takes to haul people around in a postage stamp sized country. The United States and Canada are anything but small.

What most folks don’t know is that the U.S. railroads are the only railroads that actually are private and make money. You can’t make money moving people via rail except in extremely dense population areas such as from Washington DC to Boston.

Also, I totally agree with the size of the UK. “we are spread out compared to them.........”. That is the point.

From London (South England) to Thurso, Scotland (extreme Northern Scotland) it is a whopping 678 miles. From Cincinnati to New Orleans it is 806 miles. That is middle to south. Let us not talk about the distance from San Diego, CA to Caribou, ME: 3,289 miles. That is farther than from London to Moscow (1,924 miles). Those distances are made for airplanes. The cost to fly from London to Moscow is a fraction of rail between those points. Plus, when it takes three days instead of a few hours we human beings must eat and sleep which add more cost.

End of rant.

awf that was not pointed toward you. I understand what you posted.

Last edited:
Yes. “we are spread out compared to them.........”.

When it comes to railroad economics I am an expert. 32 years as an official at CSX in Sales and Marketing.

By the time I retired in January 2000 the Washington to Boston run was on my railroad: CSX. The federal government subsidizes the hell out of Amtrak and it is electrified between just south of Baltimore to Boston. To my knowledge it is the only section of U.S. rail under Amtrak that is electrified. It is fast and actually makes money, or made money when I retired.

Let me educate you on Amtrak. Amtrak was a Federal government program crammed down the throats of the U.S. railroad companies. We at the railroad could not say no because the feds meant business. We had this thing called the Interstate Commerce Commission and they dictated terms to private businesses that they dictated terms to, the private railroads.

I started to work for the L&N in May 1968, straight out of college. The L&N was getting out of passenger rail business (we actually did not know that the federal government would force us to do something that would make us lose money – we were stupid at that point) as you could not make any money hauling around human beings via rail. From Cincinnati to New Orleans (an L&N run) you could fly in a little over two hours at one third the price of going via rail and rail would take you hours and hours and hours. So unable to compete with buses and planes the railroads were getting out of the passenger business, or at the least we thought we were.

Then Uncle Sam decided that those damned railroads could not do that to those poor folks who wanted to travel via rail; although they were incredible low in numbers. So, the U.S government forced the railroads to offer passenger service at a loss.

Everyone talks about the great rail service in Europe or Japan or England. They never talk about the massive subsidies that it takes to haul people around in a postage stamp sized country. The United States and Canada are anything but small.

What most folks don’t know is that the U.S. railroads are the only railroads that actually are private and make money. You can’t make money moving people via rail except in extremely dense population areas such as from Washington DC to Boston.

Also, I totally agree with the size of the UK. “we are spread out compared to them.........”. That is the point.

From London (South England) to Thurso, Scotland (extreme Northern Scotland) it is a whopping 678 miles. From Cincinnati to New Orleans it is 806 miles. That is middle to south. Let us not talk about the distance from San Diego, CA to Caribou, ME: 3,289 miles. That is farther than from London to Moscow (1,924 miles). Those distances are made for airplanes. The cost to fly from London to Moscow is a fraction of rail between those points. Plus, when it takes three days instead of a few hours we human beings must eat and sleep which add more cost.

End of rant.

I have never been on a train (except one of those tiny amusement park ones). I have only flown 4-5 times.

Max Baer (Jethro Bodeen) produced a movie about this song in 1976. The reason he jumped was due to grief from a homosexual encounter with an older man. Robbie Benson played Billie Joe. Leave it up to Hollywood to screw up a good song.

220px-BillieJoeMovie.jpg
Wow, all I can say is, if a man is more attracted to an old man than to Bobby Gentry he needs to jump off of something. Does the movie tell what they were throwing off of the bridge?

I need to watch it.

I have a scar on my left shoulder that is about 55 years old. I was not only vaccinated, I was branded to prove it later. I say that to say this, we've been getting vaccinated for years because researchers have been creating vaccines for years. Surely no one would argue that vaccines have been a net negative for civilization.

These corona viruses have been studied for many years and more than 300 vaccines have been created. 2 have been OK'd for use. The entire world was working on this vaccine and there were literally thousands of volunteers from all around the world to test its efficacy and safety. Add in public demand for expediency that greased the wheels of a normally dormant beaurocracy, and you end up seeing what we do when we work together.

SARS and MERS are also Corona viruses have been studied extensively. Medical technology is more advanced than when we first started dealing with those and DNA is much more easily mapped now than it was just a decade ago.

Add it all up and you are taking a bigger chance each time you get in your car of dying or being impaired than you do from a vaccine. It's science and I stand behind it.

TlDr: a collective "you" was utilized at all times. my pronoun is Mr.

Yeah but not with all the side bars and intangibles going on. Oh, I am sure there were scuzz that turned a profit off things like this back years ago but not blatantly against constitutionality.

Wow, all I can say is, if a man is more attracted to an old man than to Bobby Gentry he needs to jump off of something. Does the movie tell what they were throwing off of the bridge?

I need to watch it.
No, you really don't need to watch it. I watched when it came out on TV. All I can remember was suffering though until the end just to find out why he jumped. It was a real stinker and I think it bombed at the box office. Should have.

Speaking of movies, it is Friday Night Movie time at my house. The corn is a popping.

Sir, Sir, Sir,...... Ole Leon is getting larger for sure (This Leon...) My Darling has been on a rampage of late...She always cooks well and I eat well but now she is upping the quantities. I've been eating these today and for three days like popcorn... (Freshly made daily) (What you see below is still digesting)

(Inside chucked full of; hamburger meat along with cabbage, spices, and some egg noodles)

267613685_5171296622883876_8722778156868115967_n.jpg

Along with some of these... (Sweet potatoes...)

267601789_5171304516216420_5506969669656504541_n.jpg

Yeah....

leons-getting-larger-airplane.gif

What is the saying? In England, 200 miles is a long way. In the USA, 200 years is a long time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT