ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Good evening D, read John 13

I got a call from Bert today about 3 and they are ok, they had just got their power back on. He still don't have internet yet. He told me he was taking a shot of whisky for the D, every day that he's not on here!!!LOL
Tell him I’ll sacrifice my liver and join in for the cause. Thanks Cord. Glad to hear.

A tough winter.... (Probably not Florida...)

kkso9ddlyzlrgc9a.jpg

Charlie Chaplin and Albert Einstein.... The gist of their conversation...

Einstein said to Chaplin: “What I most admire about your art, is your universality. You don’t say a word, yet the world understands you!”.

“It’s true”, replied Chaplin. “But your fame is even greater: the world admires you, when nobody understands what you say."

spxddxhss74ngqhc.jpg

My take, be who you are and strive to be your best....(Not that my take matters...)

I would that immigrants (Legal immigrants) had this zeal toward country...

Following WWII, hundreds of Jewish refugees and Holocaust survivors were welcomes to the United States to give them the chance of starting a new and better life after the horrors they had endured. Here, a group of refugees are arriving in New York City. They are all pressed against the rails so that they can get a better look at the Statue of Liberty.

boxkg5ikarab8kwe.jpg

Nikola Tesla In His Lab, 1890
Tesla was an electrical and mechanical engineer who is best known for his contributions to the modern electricity supply system. Tesla made dozens of scientific breakthroughs and was the former employee of Thomas Edison. Edison was his chief rival and rumor has it that it was actually Tesla who invented the lightbulb but Edison took the credit.

eaqaqupww3hfep8m.jpg

The Race For Space, 1961
These NASA scientists are calculating complex spacecraft trajectories using a long and tedious calculation. As there were no computers, all their work would have to be done on a chalk board. The board is filled with so many calculations that long ladders are needed to fill up all the space.

e7y9mtdq0xhdbkug.jpg

Realistically, the equations on this board are probably just generic equations to be published in a magazine. During the Race for Space, the scientists would not have wanted their real calculations to be published in Life magazine!

The First Selfie
Nowadays, we see hundreds of selfies all over our Facebook and Instagram feeds around the clock. Every now and then though, we stumble across something special.

iqzpalpairwx0vjc.jpg

This particular selfie is special because it was not taken in 2019 Starbucks but was taken in the mirror in 1938. To make the photo even more special, it has been taken by the legendary Frank Sinatra when he was just 17 years old. We can't see what kind of camera he is holding but we're pretty certain it's no iPhone 6…

Casually Posing In Front of a Tornado
In terms of impressive backdrops, you can't get much cooler than an actual tornado. This woman is not posing in front of a green screen, she is actually striking a pose in front of a real life, really dangerous tornado in 1989. The tornado may be in the distance but you can actually see her hair blowing dramatically in the strong winds. We hope that she managed to get away soon after this mad photo was taken even though the tornado is nowhere near as breezy as her pose.

kczzgofzwivlsuzd.jpg

Dolly Parton and Carl Dean
The stunning woman is a young Dolly Parton posing for a picture with her husband Carl Dean.

Parton and Dean married in 1966 and have been married ever since. Here, they are posing on their lawn in a glamorous 60s attire.

o3vpg6k9epj7wmyz.jpg

"My first thought was I'm gonna marry that girl," Dean recalled when the couple renewed their vows at their 50th wedding anniversary. "My second thought was, 'Lord she's good lookin.' And that was the day my life began."

My last post of this manner. I hope you will indulge. I found a story with all of the included stories and it was very interesting to me. I hope some enjoy the captions and pictures.

In fact, here is the link: (I guess I could have just shared the link.. in hindsight...)

An interesting read...

The Titanic's Anchor Chain
The Titanic was one of the biggest ships ever constructed, and its unique design required some unique and innovative solutions for even the most basic of its moving parts.

This photo shows the making of the Titanic's anchor change and Hingley and Sons. While anchor chains are generally massive, the Titanic's dwarfed any chance that ever came before it. Considering the Titanic's weight - 52,310 tons - nothing but the biggest, sturdiest chain would do to keep the ship anchored.

t7gbwgdu4g5zuvlf.jpg

Of course, what we see here are just three links - while the chain undoubtedly had many, many more in its finished state.

Note: There are many, many more pictures and stories in this article... This should catch the interest of all in some way or another.

This is about an hour away from me.

60 miles from Maysville. In late-70's, a 4. something occurred around Maysville & I felt it. It was a summer Sunday afternoon & was watching Reds game & house rafters creaked for 10 seconds or so & I felt a very slight movement. WTH? Asked DW if she felt anything & said no. I told her I think we had an earthquake. She gave me the dumbest look (OK, she gives me a lot of dumb looks.). Went outside & neighbor was washing car & I asked if he felt anything. Nada. So went back to watching game & about 5 minutes later a stream went across bottom of screen saying there had been eq in Maysville area. Only one I've ever felt.

Last edited:
I've been watching WWII In Color on the Smithsonian Channel tonight. I'm going to have to tape the last segment. We are just moving into Berlin in this last hour. No spoilers please. i want to see how this turns out.
So who won?

Note: There's a parking lot over Hitler's bunker. Intent is to make it inconspicuous so neos don't try to turn it into a shrine.

My last post of this manner. I hope you will indulge. I found a story with all of the included stories and it was very interesting to me. I hope some enjoy the captions and pictures.

In fact, here is the link: (I guess I could have just shared the link.. in hindsight...)

An interesting read...

The Titanic was one of the biggest ships ever constructed, and its unique design required some unique and innovative solutions for even the most basic of its moving parts.

This photo shows the making of the Titanic's anchor change and Hingley and Sons. While anchor chains are generally massive, the Titanic's dwarfed any chance that ever came before it. Considering the Titanic's weight - 52,310 tons - nothing but the biggest, sturdiest chain would do to keep the ship anchored.

t7gbwgdu4g5zuvlf.jpg

Of course, what we see here are just three links - while the chain undoubtedly had many, many more in its finished state.
Probably reached all the way to the bottom of the ocean.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 44°F and partly cloudy. Peak temperatures may reach 64°F today for Austin.

@cordmaker : Thanks for letting us know Bert checked in.

Monday, Monday.... Jury duty continues. Must report by 8:45 am CST this morning. Leaving for bus stop around 7 am.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

900x500-Cocoa-Day.jpg

Morning Legionnaires! Get up and get at em! Keeping the victims of the harsh weather in my prayers.

Weather mild and 60's to 70's this week until the weekend for us here.

So much for the Bengals. Now let's get ready for Bowl season, hot Oatmeal, Cream-of-Wheat, Rice, Grits, or cold cereal as the breakfast bowl. Chime in. Oatmeal for me for hot breakfast and Raisin Bran for cold as the favs.

Be safe out there folks.

I turned on the news and it is not a pretty sight. God be with those who have lost loved ones and heavy property damage. They are reporting at least 50 dead in Kentucky. I have no words to explain my feelings, I just pray for those who experienced this.

I have never been in a tornado but I sure have seen the results of them during my working career.

Our family had one destroy our house in Georgia when my dad was stationed at Fort Benning. Had another one pass over our property in the 80s and knock trees down all around our vehicles and right next to the house, but did some damage to a barn and a lot of fencing where the trees fell on them. Took a day to figure out our beef cow was missing, but we got him back ok.

It threw shingles about 150 feet NW at minimim but our insurance agent said they wouldn't cover any of the losses because it was (and I quote) straight line winds.

Will never forget the sound and that I couldn't hear myself talk, yell, or even think it was so loud. Like being inside a train or jet engine. God was with us that day. No harm to a single vehicle or to the house. Livestock was all ok. Just 40 mature trees down- oaks and walnut mostly in a zip zag pattern through our 40 acres.

Last edited:
Good morning D-League.

We have 63° and plenty of sunshine this morning. The sun will bring us a high of 78°. No rain in the forecast.

My wife and I had a wonderful evening at the Capitol Theater in Clearwater. This is a 100 year old structure that is the oldest continuous operating theater in Florida. It has been restored to it's 1921 appearance.

Ricky Skaggs entertained us and what a talent he and his Kentucky Thunder band have. I really respect him as he mentioned his love for his native state and we had prayers for the people who suffered from the tornadoes. He said he will be doing benefits for the people at the appropriate time and all money will go to the people.

I trust all who are suffering know we have them in our prayers. I pray Bert will be back soon and you know he will have a story to tell.

I noticed someone has already posted clips on YouTube of the concert last night. Here is his last number an instrumental.

This is about an hour away from me.

I was actually considering calling our insurance agent last week to check if we had earthquake coverage. Moved my expensive bourbon to lower shelves because I had some kind of irrational fear of an earthquake last week. Guess it wasn't so irrational.

Is it weird to have a 3.0 on the edge of a fault line and not have a follow up on down the line? I can't remember much about my earthquake studies from being out on the left coast in volcano country. Just remember the quakes themselves.

Cincy Fumbled away another punt. I am beginning to wonder if they want to go beyond the regular season. 3 more weeks after today and they can relax.

That was a very disappointing showing. Was out having lunch and got to watch the worst football I'd seen in some time. 3 games on 3 screens in front of me. Dropped passes, fumbled punts, missed tackles... Thought I was watching the mid 70s Bears and Packers.

An interesting read...

t7gbwgdu4g5zuvlf.jpg

Note: There are many, many more pictures and stories in this article... This should catch the interest of all in some way or another.
That fellow on the far left doesn't look like he is 15 yrs old.........

Morning Legionnaires! Get up and get at em! Keeping the victims of the harsh weather in my prayers.

Weather mild and 60's to 70's this week until the weekend for us here.

So much for the Bengals. Now let's get ready for Bowl season, hot Oatmeal, Cream-of-Wheat, Rice, Grits, or cold cereal as the breakfast bowl. Chime in. Oatmeal for me for hot breakfast and Raisin Bran for cold as the favs.

Be safe out there folks.
Coffee only.....strong and black.......

I'm watching a movie right now called..."Ad Astra".

It seems like a bad outer space play on Apocalypse Now. AN was a great movie...this one not so much...but I'll keep watching it though to see how much it copies AN.

Please update us. I was thinking about watching something one night this week. May consider it if it's decent.

I don't think I've watched a show of any kind in the last 5 years at least that isn't a direct rif off of something I've seen dozens of times. Tired of BS "heist movies" and crime family stuff, was done with police, fire, and lawyer shows over a decade ago. Now they're ruining sci fi for me with all of the propaganda woven into it.

Getting a lot more done at night and at week's end than I used to, because their just isn't squat to watch. I tried 6 different streaming services lately and so many shows were switched off in the first 5-10 minutes. I keep thinking "that looks/sounds interesting" and then realize I already rejected it the last time I tried that channel/service.

Far more interested in reading virology and other medical books right now. Have to wait until the next semester starts to see what nee text books I can pick up after add/drop concludes. Been slim pickins there for a few years now that there's just one book store on campus....

Glad everyone here appears to be safe so far after those storms. I'm going to check into some things. Friend out in the KY Lakes region made it through ok, but so many lost everything. Saw where one of the guys I know is getting a group together to head out to Mayfield and see if they can help cleanup and such. May do that myself.

I hope this isn't just the beginning of more disasters, but it feels like it

That fellow on the far left doesn't look like he is 15 yrs old.........

Coffee only.....strong and black.......

Probably isn't 15. Can't remember from history what their child labor laws were then, but I think teenagers over 14 could still work if it was voluntary or to support their family.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Titanic was the 2nd of it's type, not the first, if the 2 ships of basically the same plan weren't built at the same time. Very interesting to read the circumstances surrounding the ship and its voyage. Passengers, politics, and influences...

Good morning from ATX. Currently 44°F and partly cloudy. Peak temperatures may reach 64°F today for Austin.

@cordmaker : Thanks for letting us know Bert checked in.

Monday, Monday.... Jury duty continues. Must report by 8:45 am CST this morning. Leaving for bus stop around 7 am.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

900x500-Cocoa-Day.jpg

Hope that business concludes for you soon!

60 miles from Maysville. In late-70's, a 4. something occurred around Maysville & I felt it. It was a summer Sunday afternoon & was watching Reds game & house rafters creaked for 10 seconds or so & I felt a very slight movement. WTH? Asked DW if she felt anything & said no. I told her I think we had an earthquake. She gave me the dumbest look (OK, she gives me a lot of dumb looks.). Went outside & neighbor was washing car & I asked if he felt anything. Nada. So went back to watching game & about 5 minutes later a stream went across bottom of screen saying there had been eq in Maysville area. Only one I've ever felt.

Felt 2 really good quakes on the left coast. One in KY and one in Illinois. One of the last 2 was barely noticeable.

First 2 were strong. One I was standing in between a kitchen and a living room and it felt like I was standing on a hay trailer/wagon between two trucks yanking it back and forth. Last 10-15 seconds but seemed much longer.

The other I felt as I was driving on a highway and made my tires feel splashy/underinflated as I was driving. I slowed down and it stopped after about 30 seconds. Got to work and found out there had been a big earthquake and quite a few people would be late arriving to work because of it. Trees down, power out, damage to homes. No deaths or large scale damage, but a lot of breakables didn't make it.

The First Selfie
Nowadays, we see hundreds of selfies all over our Facebook and Instagram feeds around the clock. Every now and then though, we stumble across something special.

iqzpalpairwx0vjc.jpg

This particular selfie is special because it was not taken in 2019 Starbucks but was taken in the mirror in 1938. To make the photo even more special, it has been taken by the legendary Frank Sinatra when he was just 17 years old. We can't see what kind of camera he is holding but we're pretty certain it's no iPhone 6…

3GS... I had that same phone but much later

Casually Posing In Front of a Tornado
In terms of impressive backdrops, you can't get much cooler than an actual tornado. This woman is not posing in front of a green screen, she is actually striking a pose in front of a real life, really dangerous tornado in 1989. The tornado may be in the distance but you can actually see her hair blowing dramatically in the strong winds. We hope that she managed to get away soon after this mad photo was taken even though the tornado is nowhere near as breezy as her pose.

kczzgofzwivlsuzd.jpg

Dolly Parton and Carl Dean
The stunning woman is a young Dolly Parton posing for a picture with her husband Carl Dean.

Parton and Dean married in 1966 and have been married ever since. Here, they are posing on their lawn in a glamorous 60s attire.

o3vpg6k9epj7wmyz.jpg

"My first thought was I'm gonna marry that girl," Dean recalled when the couple renewed their vows at their 50th wedding anniversary. "My second thought was, 'Lord she's good lookin.' And that was the day my life began."

Top pic looks photoshopped. Shadows don't match up between the objects in the photo. Maybe it isn't, but most likely it is.

Nikola Tesla In His Lab, 1890
Tesla was an electrical and mechanical engineer who is best known for his contributions to the modern electricity supply system. Tesla made dozens of scientific breakthroughs and was the former employee of Thomas Edison. Edison was his chief rival and rumor has it that it was actually Tesla who invented the lightbulb but Edison took the credit.

eaqaqupww3hfep8m.jpg

More than likely, Tesla did all of the inventing, but Edison had more money and influence.

Just like Edward Hopper and Martin Lewin(?), Picasso and Georges Braque, my buddy's grandfather and the chemical company he worked for... So many stories of one partner being more successful because of marketing/timing, or absolute dkheads ripping off others because they could. Like Lyndon Johnson said (and Illustrated by his political life) when he unknowingly quoted Balzac, "Behind every great fortune there is a crime."

It's not always true of course, but the scandal that would have cost him the VP spot never came to light, and so he entered the white house as President not long before it was about to be made public.

I really do wonder how many things like this happened in everyday life, and if we one day will get to see it when we stand before God.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT