ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

I will try and start watching again this season. I sure do hope Cal has wised-up a lot as my Dad used to say. I don't believe they will but I hope this team doesn't go ignant. I sure did miss them...
Really do wish good luck to the basketball Cats this year, and beyond. However, I won’t be watching. Had my fill. Will be waiting for a change, then I’ll be back. No bandwagon here. Been following since the mid 60’s. This isn’t the basketball I grew up with and loved. This is , I will stop now.

My wife and I got bite blocks or mouth guards, whatever they call them because we're grinding the hell out of our teeth during sleep. Insurance doesn't cover a dime. $1,200.
I use regular mouth pieces normally used for sports when I sleep. I spent about $23-29 dollar for mouth pieces "designed" for that purpose from Walgreens and bit through them both. They were just too thin. Designed to be more comfortable I guess because they were not as bad to sleep with then the sports type but, they just could not handle the bite. I have since got used to the sports ones and don't have a problem with them taking the bite pressure.

I had a buddy years ago who had a pet racoon. One of the smartest pets/animals I've ever been around.
I had a pet scorpion (black) in the desert Gulf named Conan. Most sections had them and we would as a side bar for entertainment build arenas for them to fight in. The winner generally ate the loser and we would bet on these fights. Well, Conan was beating everyone and I decided after his next fight we were having, if he won, I would set him free. He was fighting the terminator who was a little bigger and I was a bit worried but, being smaller he was quicker and had been with the others he had beaten too. He came out on top again but before I released him, the guy who brought in the Terminator stepped on Conan because he was angry about losing the money. I was a bit pissed and started chewing this guy out when a few minutes later one of my soldiers calls out to me to come quick. I went back to the arena area and there coming out of the sand was Conan barely scratched. You see, Saudi sand was very soft and deep so all the guy did was push him into the sand. Type of Scorpion and Saudi sand where we were encamped below.

Last edited:
I had a pet scorpion (black) in the desert Gulf named Conan. Most sections had them and we would as a side bar for entertainment build arenas for them to fight in. The winner generally ate the loser and we would bet on these fights. Well, Conan was beating everyone and I decided after his the next fight we were having, if he won, I would set him free. He was fighting the terminator who was a little bigger and I was a bit worried but, being smaller he was quicker and had been with the others he had beaten too. He came out on top again but before I released him, the guy who brought in the Terminator stepped on Conan because he was angry about losing the money. I was a bit pissed and started chewing this guy out when a few minutes later one of my soldiers calls out to me to come quick. I went back to the arena area and there coming out of the sand was Conan barely scratched. You see, Saudi sand was very soft and deep so all the guy did was push him into the sand. Type of Scorpion below and Saudi sand where we were encamped.

This state can’t take two possums on the half shell 😟

Then we were there 2 years at the same time. I was with 1st AD G-3 training from Feb 93-Feb 95. Did a few warfighters in Baumholder working the DTAC/DTOC. Spent a lot of time in Hohenfels and Graf since our section kept an operations HQ there year round because we had to have it there whenever units were there training which was all year round given the number of units in a division.

When I was there in BK those two years, I participated in boat jousting which they had been doing for years (not sure how long) and the winner goes to the next level until reaching the European championships if they keep winning. The Kontact Club which I was a part of had a team every year with Germans and Americans together. Knew we would not win because we were always rookies going against organized jousting teams from local businesses but, it was just for fun for us. A lot of beer and wine was involved as well. The jousting staff looked like a giant Qtip or pugil stick. 8 men teams with one on the bow (the jouster) one on the stern (for balance) and 6 rowers. Single elimination. Your jouster falls off into the water and you lose.
Were you with DTAC at Baumholder for warfighter during Super Bowl weekend in 1994? Many units came from all over USARUER. I worked support staff around that time. Watched Cowboys beat the Bills.

My wife and I got bite blocks or mouth guards, whatever they call them because we're grinding the hell out of our teeth during sleep. Insurance doesn't cover a dime. $1,200.

Used those myself for years and still do occasionally.

Edit- Boy did I misunderstand what you were saying... I just saw the mouthguard part... and did not see the 12 HUNDRED. Thought it said $12.00.

I buy the adult mouthguard that you can heat up and shape to your bite and wear those to sleep at night when I'm grinding my teeth.

Last edited:
I had a pet scorpion (black) in the desert Gulf named Conan. Most sections had them and we would as a side bar for entertainment build arenas for them to fight in. The winner generally ate the loser and we would bet on these fights. Well, Conan was beating everyone and I decided after his next fight we were having, if he won, I would set him free. He was fighting the terminator who was a little bigger and I was a bit worried but, being smaller he was quicker and had been with the others he had beaten too. He came out on top again but before I released him, the guy who brought in the Terminator stepped on Conan because he was angry about losing the money. I was a bit pissed and started chewing this guy out when a few minutes later one of my soldiers calls out to me to come quick. I went back to the arena area and there coming out of the sand was Conan barely scratched. You see, Saudi sand was very soft and deep so all the guy did was push him into the sand. Type of Scorpion and Saudi sand where we were encamped below.

No betting, but a buddy in Turkey kept scorpions. He would put 2 in a bottle and watch them fight. He would keep the winner. Finally he put a bunch of wasps in with the scorpion. He killed all the wasps, but he also died.

No betting, but a buddy in Turkey kept scorpions. He would put 2 in a bottle and watch them fight. He would keep the winner. Finally he put a bunch of wasps in with the scorpion. He killed all the wasps, but he also died.
Spiders, Scorpions, and Praying Mantis are my favorite insects. They are just badass.

If you wait until fall the price drops dramatically. I used to pick some up in the clearance aisles for a dollar after the first few weeks of football had passed.

With a sterilization certification I hope.....

My darling and I when we started got top choppers. My Darlings broke and they switched her to bottom choppers. If mine goes bad they will do top choppers again or nothing. I don't do the fad thing to bend to the will of those who change just to market different. Mine works. They are comfortable, why change!

Same thing with buying two new tires. Used to be put them on the front now they say putting them on the back is the right way to do it. I told them when I got my commuter car tires to put the new ones on the front. They warned against it, I stated I was so warned, put them on the front.

Heh, I probably ran into you during that time and never knew it. I recall we set up a couple big-screen TVs so troops could watch Super Bowl.

Good old days. Happily retired.
I was always somewhere around the division DTAC working with the General or the CSM. The division sergeant major was in charge during the day and put me (E-6) in charge at night even though each section there had an E-7 or above in charge of them. He (the CSM) along with the DIV commander made it clear to everyone that I was in charge at night. Sergeant Major once told me jokingly of course "I don't know what the general sees in you but, he likes you so you are it at night." I had fixed a few things when problems popped up in the past for the DC and he just latched on to that. One time his commo went out and I was on my sleep shift (daytime) and he was so frustrated commo was out that he sent a soldier to come get me and when I walked in I was in flip flops brown boxer shorts and a T-shirt . He just looked at me, shook his head and said Sergeant my commo has been out for about 25 minutes now, I need it fixed. Being a 13B (cannon cocker) I was limited in my ability with commo equipment but, I went into the command vehicle where about 5 commo guys were working on it and ask them what the problem was and they said " I think we got it now chief, ask the general to try it." I Turned and said: "Try it now sir." He did and it worked. He then said: "Thank you Sergeant Mc****" and I just took credit because I was sleepy and said: "You're welcome sir" and started out the tent to go to back to bed when a major stopped me and ask: "Who are you?" I said "What do you mean sir?" He said: "Well, the General always seems to ask for you. Are you superman?" He was of course joking but, one of my guys heard him say that and when he went on leave he came back with a superman T-Shirt and I wore that under my BDU top every time we were in the DTAC. One time I was on top of the 577 command vehicle during a hasty march order taking off the antennae when the Sergeant Major ask me was I going to be ready to leave on time. I unbuttoned my top opened it to show the superman T-Shirt and said: "What do you think Sergeant Major" He smiled and then said: "Sergeant, you are out of uniform." Nothing more was said about it.

I had a buddy years ago who had a pet racoon. One of the smartest pets/animals I've ever been around.
Racoons are smart. That is why they can be so hard to control.

Two years ago I had one who was destroying my stuff, like my rain gauge. He/she would just destruct anthing around. I had to trap he/she. I hated it but I could not tolerate the damage done.

Here is the racoon. I caught it during a sleet storm.

250857171_4442530265862523_2314443509646640916_n.jpg

All
Racoons are smart. That is why they can be so hard to control.

Two years ago I had one who was destroying my stuff, like my rain gauge. He/she would just destruct anthing around. I had to trap he/she. I hated it but I could not tolerate the damage done.

Here is the racoon. I caught it during a sleet storm.

250857171_4442530265862523_2314443509646640916_n.jpg
All wild, (and domestic) animals are smart, as we see it (it’s more instinct). My dog Mace, is the smartest non human I’ve ever seen, (pretty easy catch these days). And it’s easy to feel sorry for and pander to wild critters. I’ve been guilty myself. But, they are critters, none the less. Put here for our use. If I remember nothing else from early years bible school, it’s that.

I was always somewhere around the division DTAC working with the General or the CSM. The division sergeant major was in charge during the day and put me (E-6) in charge at night even though each section there had an E-7 or above in charge of them. He (the CSM) along with the DIV commander made it clear to everyone that I was in charge at night. Sergeant Major once told me jokingly of course "I don't know what the general sees in you but, he likes you so you are it at night." I had fixed a few things when problems popped up in the past for the DC and he just latched on to that. One time his commo went out and I was on my sleep shift (daytime) and he was so frustrated commo was out that he sent a soldier to come get me and when I walked in I was in flip flops brown boxer shorts and a T-shirt . He just looked at me, shook his head and said Sergeant my commo has been out for about 25 minutes now, I need it fixed. Being a 13B (cannon cocker) I was limited in my ability with commo equipment but, I went into the command vehicle where about 5 commo guys were working on it and ask them what the problem was and they said " I think we got it now chief, ask the general to try it." I Turned and said: "Try it now sir." He did and it worked. He then said: "Thank you Sergeant Mc****" and I just took credit because I was sleepy and said: "You're welcome sir" and started out the tent to go to back to bed when a major stopped me and ask: "Who are you?" I said "What do you mean sir?" He said: "Well, the General always seems to ask for you. Are you superman?" He was of course joking but, one of my guys heard him say that and when he went on leave he came back with a superman T-Shirt and I wore that under my BDU top every time we were in the DTAC. One time I was on top of the 577 command vehicle during a hasty march order taking off the antennae when the Sergeant Major ask me was I going to be ready to leave on time. I unbuttoned my top opened it to show the superman T-Shirt and said: "What do you think Sergeant Major" He smiled and then said: "Sergeant, you are out of uniform." Nothing more was said about it.

The Army is a good way of life, it is a few idiot people that mess it up. I always thought I should have spent 20 years in but only did four. (Injury, a recruiter told me not to try reenlisting.)

I was in the second of my AIT's (96D) at Fort Huachuca. My Platoon Sergeant made NCO of the year that year. I cannot remember his name but he was as top notch as top notch can get in my eyes.

I was dress right dress as far as soldiers went but I also was kind of a card. (Harmless but I like to have good clean fun as it seems you do.) I had good times in the Army at all my stops. At Fort Huachuca we had a couple weeks to go and we were off a certain day but had a GI party back at our barracks. A couple buddies and I were at the shopette about a half mile or so from the barracks across what I called the desert, sandy with a tuft of weeds every so often. I got a wild hair of some kind but I decided I was going to drink some MD 20/20 that I saw on the shelf. I can't remember if they were $.89 or $1.89 a bottle but I spent my last dough before pay day and bought two of them. My buddies bought but didn't drink. I popped the first one and chugged it way before we got to the barracks in what seemed to be 110 or 115 degree heat.. dry heat. I chugged the other one before we got to the barracks. MAN what a head rush I had while standing at ease in our room as the Platoon Sergeant came in. I know I must have been wobbling or something but I was buzzing like a bumble bee.

My Platoon Sergeant did the Sergeant Carter thing with Gomer and got nose to nose with me. ( I was at attention when he came in as the others followed my lead and snapped to.) He stated; "My last name, are you drunk?" I replied immediately, "Yes Sergeant!" (I never had an expression and was dead serious.) He paused a couple seconds and walked out of the room. After he left and cleared, my buddies were laughing to beat all laughs. I was scared sober. (I never heard about that episode again.) A week or so before that, we did our PT test and I was in the best shape of my life due to that Platoon Sergeant. Much respect to him. That was the only time I ever maxed a PT test and he gave me five seconds on the run at that by repeating 3:12 or 3:05 about five times. (Whatever the max was.)

If I have a glory moment other than my family in my life about a week after that MD 20/20 incident he had me in his office and told me straight up. "My last name, if I had a 100k like you, I could win any war!" That stuck with me to date and is how I try to carry myself now and I expect until the Lord calls me home.

That's what the Army did for me! I am thankful! (Thanks for letting me ramble. Not even drinking.) ;)

Oh believe me, I have done that on here a few times and at home. My wife sometimes ask me what I said and after reflection on it I would just say never mind because it made no sense to me after I repeated it in

Spiders, Scorpions, and Praying Mantis are my favorite insects. They are just badass.
No you've got it wrong. It's lions and tigers and bears. Oh my!

Thanks Mr. Rooster, it's planted in a spot where there is none of that, the closet thing is an old concrete slab. Just to be clear with you, you talking about making like small enclosure for it. If you have some crayons and a piece of paper handy you may have to draw it out!!!LOL
Anything like this should work. Roll something up and make your own tube with some bailing wire.
0000855_tree-care-tubex-4-tree-shelters-5-pack_510.jpg

And just like that the sun is out the skies are clear, the winds are calm and things are drying out. A have a few palm fronds scattered around the yard which is good because they are dead and needed trimming. Saved me a step or two.

I found out this afternoon a close dear friend has died in surgery. Apparently something went wrong. He lived up in Cumming, GA and his death was unexpected because it was not major surgery. Just goes to show you never can tell. Life is as thin as a thread and you can be gone before the sun comes up.
Happened to my mom that way. Surgery succesful in recovery room preparing to go home.
I've heard squirrels have almost as good of a sense of smell as any other animal/rodent..
They may forage by smelling the volatile lipids in the nut. Deer and turkey vultures both forage by smell. Man is blessed with a poor sense of smell.
giphy.gif

Good morning from ATX. Currently 59°F and clear. 36% humidity. Today's high may peak at 75°F. High winds yesterday. We could see temps dip into the 40s tomorrow.

Tried early voting yesterday afternoon. Lines too long. Proposition A on the ballot which calls for increased police funding. I'll try again today.

Happy Friday!

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

a3f4bce7cab59e432d773a0ee8042f5a.png

Good morning, D-League!

It isn't sunny. It isn't too cold. It isn't much of anything near as I can tell, but it IS another day. Blessed to have it and don't deserve it.

Hope it is a wonderful day for you and yours, and that God's sunshine makes its way into your heart somehow when you need it most!

Good morning from ATX. Currently 59°F and clear. 36% humidity. Today's high may peak at 75°F. High winds yesterday. We could see temps dip into the 40s tomorrow.

Tried early voting yesterday afternoon. Lines too long. Proposition A on the ballot which calls for increased police funding. I'll try again today.

Happy Friday!

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

a3f4bce7cab59e432d773a0ee8042f5a.png

We are just preparing an oatmeal bake for the family to eat this weekend. Had no idea it was national oatmeal day! Thank you, sir!

Man is blessed with a poor sense of smell.
giphy.gif

I have not been blessed with a poor sense of smell. It's a blessing to have a strong olfactory sense, but sometimes it is a shock to the system. I'm no where near to a squirrel or any other animal, but it is significant.

A friend of mine knew a man that could smell something from a half mile away due to a brain tumor the size of a golf ball near his olfactory center. Changed his life/lifestyle for the better in so many ways. He gave God credit for sending it and for saving him, as he was not living right beforehand. Docs gave the guy 6mos to live with or without surgery and my friend met him at least 12 years after the diagnosis. He never had the surgery or chemo even. Just changed his ways

I can't smell at all most days. Occasionally, I will pick up the scent of something but it is short lived. Even skunk spray does not affect me. Wife and daughter have on a few occasions started gagging about a strong skunk smell in the air either around our home or out and about and on each occasion, nothing. I believe it probably has to do with all of the chemicals I inhaled in the military. Cannon smoke, gas chamber training where each cycle as a DI we would take our mask off to show privates that they were not going to die (CS tear gas). CS powder being dropped on us during field exercises and burning human feces in the desert every morning to clear out the out house feces containers. Below is a picture of the out houses with the bottoms of 50 gallon drums (black) pulled out of the bottom doors of the outhouse and gas or diesel poured in them to burn the feces until gone and then put back under the doors. PVC pipes pictured sticking in the sand were our urinals.
IMG-20201210-175330701.jpg

Good morning all. It's a wet 55 degrees out....which is scheduled to be our high. One of those weird days where the temp really doesn't move much at all either up or down.

Gagged on oatmeal as a kid. Can remember Mom making it and I would refuse to eat it. Unlike parents (mothers in particular) of today who will make two or three different things because one or two of their kids don't like what's prepared to eat....when I was a kid you ate what was on the table or you didn't eat. So when it came time for oatmeal for breakfast...I didn't eat.

Now I love it. Go figure.
Funny how so much of what we like, dislike, think, etc change as we get older. Or smarter.

Y'all have a good day.

The Army is a good way of life, it is a few idiot people that mess it up. I always thought I should have spent 20 years in but only did four. (Injury, a recruiter told me not to try reenlisting.)

I was in the second of my AIT's (96D) at Fort Huachuca. My Platoon Sergeant made NCO of the year that year. I cannot remember his name but he was as top notch as top notch can get in my eyes.

I was dress right dress as far as soldiers went but I also was kind of a card. (Harmless but I like to have good clean fun as it seems you do.) I had good times in the Army at all my stops. At Fort Huachuca we had a couple weeks to go and we were off a certain day but had a GI party back at our barracks. A couple buddies and I were at the shopette about a half mile or so from the barracks across what I called the desert, sandy with a tuft of weeds every so often. I got a wild hair of some kind but I decided I was going to drink some MD 20/20 that I saw on the shelf. I can't remember if they were $.89 or $1.89 a bottle but I spent my last dough before pay day and bought two of them. My buddies bought but didn't drink. I popped the first one and chugged it way before we got to the barracks in what seemed to be 110 or 115 degree heat.. dry heat. I chugged the other one before we got to the barracks. MAN what a head rush I had while standing at ease in our room as the Platoon Sergeant came in. I know I must have been wobbling or something but I was buzzing like a bumble bee.

My Platoon Sergeant did the Sergeant Carter thing with Gomer and got nose to nose with me. ( I was at attention when he came in as the others followed my lead and snapped to.) He stated; "My last name, are you drunk?" I replied immediately, "Yes Sergeant!" (I never had an expression and was dead serious.) He paused a couple seconds and walked out of the room. After he left and cleared, my buddies were laughing to beat all laughs. I was scared sober. (I never heard about that episode again.) A week or so before that, we did our PT test and I was in the best shape of my life due to that Platoon Sergeant. Much respect to him. That was the only time I ever maxed a PT test and he gave me five seconds on the run at that by repeating 3:12 or 3:05 about five times. (Whatever the max was.)

If I have a glory moment other than my family in my life about a week after that MD 20/20 incident he had me in his office and told me straight up. "My last name, if I had a 100k like you, I could win any war!" That stuck with me to date and is how I try to carry myself now and I expect until the Lord calls me home.

That's what the Army did for me! I am thankful! (Thanks for letting me ramble. Not even drinking.) ;)
I look back at my Army days as a good thing for me, it made me a man and taught me to work with others as a team. A few months before I graduated from college I received a letter from my Selective Service board advising me my college deferment was over and get prepared for service. Back then you could not get a career job without doing your duty in the military; No company or firm would hire you. You had to have that record and honorable discharge. In those days if you could walk you would get drafted unless your daddy was a politician or millionaire)

So I went down and joined the Army and signed up for Armor. Fort Knox was the Armor Center then. I always liked tanks and their big guns. My objective was to do my three years and go home. I breezed through basic and enjoyed every aspect of it. The I went to AIT and did well there.

Two weeks before i was graduating from Armor AIT I was asked to report to the Battalion Commander. I arrived with 49 other soldiers from other companies. We were told the Vietnam war was going to crank up even more than it already was and the Army needed instructors and they had graded and chosen 50 of us to make a deal. We were told 25 would pass the NCO Academy and 25 would fail. If you passed you would be given the rank of Corporal with acting Sgt stripes. Your pay would be corporal but you would be addressed as Sergeant and wear E-5 stripes. Then you would be assigned to a basic training company for one month and continued grading. If your company commander "passed" you, you would report to Drill Sgt School. Graduating from Drill Sgt School was automatic E-5, Buck Sergeant.

Now for the deal the Army gave me. My time would be reduced from 3 years to 2 years. I could go to any Basic Training Unit in America for assignment. I got to pick it. Finally after my two years I would be in the inactive reserve and would not have meeting requirements or additional training. I would get my discharge and that would be the end of it. Since I was engaged to be married and my wife to be was in Kentucky, picking Fort Knox was a godsend. I had no intentions of being a "lifer" so I signed up and the rest is history. Had I washed out from any of the NCO schools I would go back to 3 year obligation and a private rank.

I enjoyed the military and still have friends i served with. But I doubt I would volunteer for todays military. I have a granddaughter who is graduating this spring and she can get an appointment to the Air Force Academy. This is her decision but if it were up to me I would say NO. Not in a WOKE military. But then again name me a college or university that is not. Even religious institutions are over the edge WOKE now. ( P.S. sorry for the book report, I ran a little longer than I wanted to )

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT