ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

I froze enough for us each to have a big bowl for the next game. I'll probably make a batch of beef stew tomorrow for this weekend.
Ah beef stew another one of my favorites. Especially in the fall and winter. I have an old family recipe that goes back to at least the 1880's because my grandma was born then and this is her creation.

It is so simple and only has 6 ingredients

Oxtails or stew beef for those who do not know what oxtails are, That big hunk of meat in the bowl is an oxtail and the little piece of meat is stew beef. I cut up rib eye steak for stew meat . The oxtails give you the richest beef broth possible. Flavor jumps out of the bowl.

Other ingredients are:

cabbage
banana pepper or two
carrots (cut large)
tomatoes. Fresh or canned
Irish potatoes also cut large and put in last so they are not mushy.
Add some spices to taste and a bay leaf. A bay leaf is very important.

This is as old as the hills and when you eat it you feel like a pioneer barely getting by in life who discovered a meal fit for King Henry VIII.

83278207_2798513596868365_6657517089135263744_n.jpg

Last edited:
Ah beef stew another one of my favorites. Especially in the fall and winter. I have an old family recipe that goes back to at least the 1880's because my grandma was born then and this is her creation.

Oxtails or stew beef for those who do not know what oxtails are, That big hunk of meat in the bowl is an oxtail and the little piece of meat is stew beef. I cut up rib eye steak for stew meat . The oxtails give you the richest beef broth possible. Flavor jumps out of the bowl.

Other ingredients are:

cabbage
banana pepper or two
carrots (cut large)

This is old as the hills and when you eat it you feel like a pioneer barely getting by in life who discovered a meal fit for King Henry VIII.

I just finished supper, but I could slurp that down right now!

I don't use a recipe for things like that but I guess you would call mine a traditional interpretation. I don't use tomatoes but I do use some tomato paste. I like to use those little red potatoes. You can cook the hell out those suckers and they take it. I also use baby carrots so I don't have to fool with cutting carrots. Chuck roast cut into 1" cubes and seared beforehand and then throw in some frozen peas when the cooking is done.

I'm ready to start making it right now.

edit: I forgot the onion

I don't use a recipe for things like that but I guess you would call mine a traditional interpretation. I don't use tomatoes but I do use some tomato paste. I like to use those little red potatoes. You can cook the hell out those suckers and they take it. I also use baby carrots so I don't have to fool with cutting carrots. Chuck roast cut into 1" cubes and seared beforehand and then throw in some frozen peas when the cooking is done.

Yes you did 😂

Thanks for trying to help. Is there an internal battery that could be on its last legs?
Possibly. He said the battery might be 10 years old. Problem is no input via keyboard. We tried power-down various ways with no success. I really wish I could have connected remotely, but my support software will not work well on Mac. He might purchase used from a pawn shop or hit up Best Buy.

qb5e1d8wo9g51.jpg

I made a big pot of pinto beans (seasoned with salt pork), a skillet of cornbread and a pan of fried taters (fried in lard) Saturday. They were the best I had made for a while. I finished them off yesterday. They got better each day. I'm the only one who will eat them. What can I say? I was raised in the hills.
Can’t remember a meal from my childhood until grown that didn’t involve pinto beans and cornbread. And they’re still the best. Thanks for the reminder. Got a feeling it’s what’s for supper this weekend.

Can’t remember a meal from my childhood until grown that didn’t involve pinto beans and cornbread. And they’re still the best. Thanks for the reminder. Got a feeling it’s what’s for supper this weekend.

I know we had other meals but beans and taters is what I remember most. It has become my favorite meal. I make fried taters and cornbread a whole meal quite often. When the taters are gone I eat the rest of the cornbread crumbled up in buttermilk.

I had an older brother who insisted that his wife make biscuits and cornbread every day.

Other ingredients are:

cabbage
banana pepper or two
carrots (cut large)

This is as old as the hills and when you eat it you feel like a pioneer barely getting by in life who discovered a meal fit for King Henry VIII.

Now, I could eat that.

Don't go crying over it.

Did some fishing late this afternoon at one of my go to places and caught one out of 2 so. Warrior-Cat 1-Large Mouths 1. Afterwards I went to another pond I have tried a few times and still no luck but, the scenery was good. Had a doe come up to drink not realizing I was there. Ran up on ole Jake no Shoulders too, the cotton mouth kind. Almost stepped on him on the bank of the pond pictured below.
20211021-171455.jpg

20211021-180547.jpg

Did some fishing late this afternoon at one of my go to places and caught one out of 2 so. Warrior-Cat 1-Large Mouths 1. Afterwards I went to another pond I have tried a few times and still no luck but, the scenery was good. Had a doe come up to drink not realizing I was there. Ran up on ole Jake no Shoulders too, the cotton mouth kind. Almost stepped on him on the bank of the pond pictured below.
20211021-171455.jpg

20211021-180547.jpg
No wonder you didn't catch anything. That water is too cloudy.

Possibly. He said the battery might be 10 years old. Problem is no input via keyboard. We tried power-down various ways with no success. I really wish I could have connected remotely, but my support software will not work well on Mac. He might purchase used from a pawn shop or hit up Best Buy.
No USB for an external keyboard I guess....

Worked with Don for 1.5 hours. It appears his keyboard on that old MacBook of his might be bad. Nothing shows when he attempts logging into Rivals. Dang. We tried. Great speaking with him again.

Depending on where he is, may be able to get a replacement keyboard for <100. Kinda easy to install if it is an older macbook. I've replaced em before. If it is the I/O controller, that's 3-4x more expensive.

Might be best to get a plug in keyboard that works for Mac and can be returned in case it doesn't solve the problem. If it is restarted with that keyboard plugged in, it should prompt you to choose it or work right away.

I'm banned again but here goes...(Got banded previously (The only time) for posting a past Presidents presidential library...)

240669271_869295635474_9136913441036051858_n.jpg
Hey, never been banned, though came close. Would consider it a privilege to be banned along side you, or any of the D as far as that goes. Don’t go thinking likewise though. I’m a loose cannon, sometimes.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 67°F and clear with periodic clouds. Expect today's high reaching 85°F. Fall may return again one of these days.

Took pup to vet yesterday for post-op visit. She got on the water treadmill and performed really well. Still favors that leg.

No Wildcat football this weekend. Bah! Nevertheless, Go Cats!

Happy Friday!

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

cf6a0c94-8fec-4cf1-88b3-0506b18b1702_1140x641.jpg

Morning Legionnaires!

Weather will be low 80's to middle and upper 80's for the next 5-7 days. Yeah @AustinTXCat me too, need that fall weather to return. Only plus to it is I can actually go back to morning fishing when I go. Downside is the Wind will be upwards around 20 plus mph. No cloudy water there @bertfan31.

Daughter goes back to the OU Medical Center in OKC later in the day today for her second post operative checkup. They will determine if she will need physical therapy to strengthen the shoulder and upper chest muscle area where they took out the rib. She is actually doing well and is in no pain. She never took the narcotic pain killers they prescribed just Ibuprofen when needed but no longer takes that. I told my wife to tell them her father is a retired NCO and he was a Drill Sergeant in the military and will take care of her physical rehabilitation. Her reply "Oh no you won't". I had them both in a martial arts class I was helping teach at a few years back and that did not go well. I don't play favorites. Heh, heh, heh.

Last edited:
Good Friday morning

We have 63° with clear skies that will bring sunshine and get us up to a high of 81°. There is a little chance of rain.

I see where a liberal actor named Alec Baldwin shot and killed somebody on a movie set. I think I heard that right as I listen to the radio. It was an accident so they say. Well I see it as just another example where liberals with guns are lethal and dangerous because they are scared to death of them and have no concept of gun safety. He has always been a jerk. Prayers for his victim..

This is another day that will find me working outside as I try to finalize my fall plantings. I have a few banana peppers in bloom and will be enjoying a plate of fried banana peppers before you know it. Life is good.

Take care all, prayers continue for Cord and his grieving family. '

244489361_4261098197341468_5865168208031656617_n.jpg

Good morning all.
The Mrs is still in Seattle and it seems that I've been working more than usual. Had some work to do on one of our rental properties. Woodworking project is about finished and now I need to start on the yard/property. Got a lot to do before it gets any colder than it is. Weather hasn't been too bad...but it's coming.

Anyway, wanted to drop by and say 'hi'. Hope all are doing well....last I remember @cordmaker (I believe) was having some hip (?) problems. Hope he's doing better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT