ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Don' give my wife any ideas. About 25 years ago we bought our gravesites and prepaid our funeral expenses. I did not want to leave this world with someone else paying my expenses. All paid up.

Now if I take your advice my $3,500 lots I paid for in cash can be sold for $16,500 each. Funeral costs have increased 30% since I paid mine off. I may as well hang where I am.
and pray that the funeral home you paid doesn't go bankrupt! ! ! !

I have done the same:
148474780_d0675052-199b-439b-aca7-3665385eef90.jpeg

Last edited:
My only grandson. A bright young man. He never made a grade lower than an A.

This is his last school picture before he was killed in a car/truck wreck. He was going to go to Arizona State and study astrophysics. That at the least was his plans at 9 and 1/2 years old.
244742028_4373555126093371_2105034470814153983_n.jpg
What a beautiful young man. I can not imagine how devastating it would be to lose a child. I would gladly without any hesitation offer my life to save anyone in my family. May he rest in peace and I know the family will never forget the joy and happiness he brought to all. That smile reflects how happy he was and his loss is something I can not understand.

Thanks for sharing his picture Bert. I know he made you proud in his short years on earth.

Last edited:
Shoot Sir, that is how I earn extra dough now! (My daughters never pay me but they say they will. I earn goodwill that way...) I get $50.00 gift cards at Christmas...😍
I had a coworker who had an after hours job landscaping. One Saturday in 1977 he called me and said his helper had an accident and he need someone to help him finish a little job. He was a close friend so I told him I was on the way. My 6 year old son was in the drive way and I asked him if he wanted to take a ride in my truck and hang around with daddy all day. He jumped in.

When we got to the work site I had my son carry potted plants that were going to be put in the ground. He worked his tail off. At the end of the day my buddy pulled out a $50 bill and handed it to me and I gave it to my son with a hug, job well done.

That was the first $50 he made in his life but he got the fever for work and making money. Not long after that he raked a few neighbors yards and soon he and his friend took our lawnmower around the neighborhood mowing grass. He bought a nice Schwinn bike and continued working and having money in his pocket the rest of his life. I never gave either of my kids an "allowance" but I allowed them to work.

Good mid morning, D-L!

Taking a break from work to watch a little of the LSU-Auburn game.

LSU D is great sideline to sideline because of their DBs and MLB. MLB is something else. Speed and rage. Auburn could've thrown all day though. They dropped a lot of passes. Should've scored maybe 2 more TDs. I think we can run on them, but will have more success with it if we complete passes.

They have some DL that can really pressure well. Nix had some incredible plays avoiding the pressure that extended drives. We do need to get the ball out quick whenever possible.

LSU O can really throw the ball well. They get the ball out quick and their receivers can run after the catch so you can't play soft. Gonna be a tough game. Their running game isn't stellar, but if you try to shut down their passing game completely, they do have some speed at RB to burn you in play action.

I think we will win, but it's gonna be a hard fought game regardless of the final score.

Back to work! Have a great day everyone.
Someone told me at the course today that LSU's best CB is out indefinitely with a foot injury. Hate to say it, no I don't, but good. We need all the help we can get to throw a ball downfield.
1960 looked a lot like that also.
Ah, 1960. I started off that year and everything was as good as it's ever been in my life. And then along about May, it all fell apart and I was born.

Shot a 79 today while dodging the rain. 3 double bogies didn't help my case at all.

Playing in a tournament this weekend. It's a Ryder Cup style match against another course. Just found out that I'm not playing with the seniors because a young gun backed out. Dude acted like he kicked my mule or something when he was breaking the news to me. I told him I didn't care and if he wanted to put me up against their best player that day I would be fine with that. We might drop one match that way and end up winning two more. I'm a team player.

Too bad we can't live in a society that has team players. People who would take responsibility for their actions and shortcomings rather than blaming someone else for their station in life.

No guarantees. Play to win.

I had a coworker who had an after hours job landscaping. One Saturday in 1977 he called me and said his helper had an accident and he need someone to help him finish a little job. He was a close friend so I told him I was on the way. My 6 year old son was in the drive way and I asked him if he wanted to take a ride in my truck and hang around with daddy all day. He jumped in.

When we got to the work site I had my son carry potted plants that were going to be put in the ground. He worked his tail off. At the end of the day my buddy pulled out a $50 bill and handed it to me and I gave it to my son with a hug, job well done.

That was the first $50 he made in his life but he got the fever for work and making money. Not long after that he raked a few neighbors yards and soon he and his friend took our lawnmower around the neighborhood mowing grass. He bought a nice Schwinn bike and continued working and having money in his pocket the rest of his life. I never gave either of my kids an "allowance" but I allowed them to work.

Yes Sir, my earliest memories of work is when I went with my Dad when he had a siding job or roofing. I picked up scraps and kept the job site cleaned when I wasn't in school. Back then the siding was aluminum and my Dad kept the scraps until he had a truck full and then he'd take them to the recycler and made a good chunk as I remember. He never "paid" me but if I needed money he'd always give it to me.

I had jobs most all my life. did the snow shoveling, lawn mowing, snow shoveling, tree work, cleaned houses, painted, just on and on. My oldest daughter asked me and stated, dad how do you know how to do all these things??? At soon to be 38 in eight or so days, I asked her if she remembered all the hard works she used to see me do. She said yes, I said I started doing that when I was about ten. I picked up a few talents along the way..

She left saying none of her guy friends can do any of that. I told her as I have told her many times. (This is a doctor I am speaking to...) "Maybe you need to make some new friends."

Someone told me at the course today that LSU's best CB is out indefinitely with a foot injury. Hate to say it, no I don't, but good. We need all the help we can get to throw a ball downfield.

Ah, 1960. I started off that year and everything was as good as it's ever been in my life. And then along about May, it all fell apart and I was born.

Shot a 79 today while dodging the rain. 3 double bogies didn't help my case at all.

Playing in a tournament this weekend. It's a Ryder Cup style match against another course. Just found out that I'm not playing with the seniors because a young gun backed out. Dude acted like he kicked my mule or something when he was breaking the news to me. I told him I didn't care and if he wanted to put me up against their best player that day I would be fine with that. We might drop one match that way and end up winning two more. I'm a team player.

Too bad we can't live in a society that has team players. People who would take responsibility for their actions and shortcomings rather than blaming someone else for their station in life.

No guarantees. Play to win.
If you had played anywhere near here today and shot a 79, I’d put you up against the pros, unless you’re ball could water ski. It’s been a constant steady downpour all day.

If you had played anywhere near here today and shot a 79, I’d put you up against the pros, unless you’re ball could water ski. It’s been a constant steady downpour all day.
At one time today I looked off in the distance, probably two or three miles, and noticed it was raining. At the time we were on the highest point of the golf course I told Mitch to check it out over there. He said "it looks like fog over there". I told him if we stay here long enough, that fog is going to soak us.

We finished that hole and I drove us to the other side of the course. We started playing over there and everything was fine. Saw a couple of guys 20 minutes or so later and they started telling us how they were on #5 and got soaked.

I'm much better at paying attention to the weather than I am at playing golf.

Back from a second day of pretty challenging hikes in the Smokies.

Yesterday was especially grueling. We trekked a net 11 miles to the top of Mt. LeConte and back, reaching 6,850 feet. I’m not too proud to admit it kicked my ass.

Then this morning, in our car, we encountered first a healthy-sized male black bear, then a short time later, a mama bear with two Cubs. Impressive animals to encounter on a narrow road.

Yesterday was especially grueling. We trekked a net 11 miles to the top of Mt. LeConte and back, reaching 6,850 feet. I’m not too proud to admit it kicked my ass.

Then this morning, in our car, we encountered first a healthy-sized male black bear, then a short time later, a mama bear with two Cubs. Impressive animals to encounter on a narrow road.
That was going to be my question to you after your first paragraph: have you seen any bears? My wife is infatuated with seeing a bear here where we live. Hasn’t happened yet though. Enjoy the rest of your vacation.

That was going to be my question to you after your first paragraph: have you seen any bears? My wife is infatuated with seeing a bear here where we live. Hasn’t happened yet though. Enjoy the rest of your vacation.
Yeah, Backer. They were right outside our car window. I’ve seen bears in the wild in Alaska and the Rockies. But my wife never had, and was also obsessed. If we hadn’t lucked into today’s sighting, the trip wouldn’t have been complete for her.

Yeah, Backer. They were right outside our car window. I’ve seen bears in the wild in Alaska and the Rockies. But my wife never had, and was also obsessed. If we hadn’t lucked into today’s sighting, the trip wouldn’t have been complete for her.
Great! Glad y’all saw them. We have had sightings close to our home, so it’s just a matter of time hopefully. I really don’t care, as I have livestock to tend to/protect, but the wife really wants to see one. May have to show her one strung up from my tractor loader someday, hope not though.

Great! Glad y’all saw them. We have had sightings close to our home, so it’s just a matter of time hopefully. I really don’t care, as I have livestock to tend to/protect, but the wife really wants to see one. May have to show her one strung up from my tractor loader someday, hope not though.
You have any big herding dogs to oversee the livestock? I was reading up on how bears tend to shy away from the big ones even though the bear could win they generally stay away.

You have any big herding dogs to oversee the livestock? I was reading up on how bears tend to shy away from the big ones even though the bear could win they generally stay away.
No, all I have is a mixed black lab that sleeps in the seat of my RTV while I tend to the cows.Hell, a mink scared her back into the seat one day not long ago. She is useless, but she is my dog, wouldn’t trade her for anything. My neighbor friend has big White dogs that guards his goats. Apparently, they do a good job, but after he told me how much he spends for dog food, I figure a calf lost now and then maybe cheaper.

I've had dogs in my life as long as I can remember. I love boxers. They were originally bred for bull baiting, but when it was outlawed, they were often used for bear hunting. Slower, weaker and not so smart boxers didn't survive the bull ring to breed, so they came from good stock.

My only grandson. A bright young man. He never made a grade lower than an A.

This is his last school picture before he was killed in a car/truck wreck. He was going to go to Arizona State and study astrophysics. That at the least was his plans at 9 and 1/2 years old.
244742028_4373555126093371_2105034470814153983_n.jpg
Sorry about the loss of your grandson. It's a shame you didn't get to watch him grow up into the young man he was meant to be.

As I was saying....

Many sightings around Cumberland Gap. One can only imagine bear population density where y'all are currently vacationing.

Have fun and stay safe.

For me, the best MASH scene ever is when the helicopter came & lifted Henry Blake's desk away because it had been traded away for something or another. Stevenson stood there dumbfounded with the best WTF look on his face as the tent walls fell down & the desk lifted away. I still laugh thinking about that.
That's a good one. Here's two more funny scenes:

I've had dogs in my life as long as I can remember. I love boxers. They were originally bred for bull baiting, but when it was outlawed, they were often used for bear hunting. Slower, weaker and not so smart boxers didn't survive the bull ring to breed, so they came from good stock.
I have had dogs my entire life also. Just can’t imagine living without one. And every dog I’ve had since I’ve been grown has ridden with me in my truck, or as of late, my RTV. They all have different personalities, and it makes life interesting, to say the least. I still grieve over the first dog my wife and I had together, nearly 40 years ago. He was a mixed collie that only lived less than 2 years, but I cried like a baby when I buried him. And I’ll do the same when Mace goes, if I outlive her. Love my dogs, useless or not.

No, all I have is a mixed black lab that sleeps in the seat of my RTV while I tend to the cows.Hell, a mink scared her back into the seat one day not long ago. She is useless, but she is my dog, wouldn’t trade her for anything. My neighbor friend has big White dogs that guards his goats. Apparently, they do a good job, but after he told me how much he spends for dog food, I figure a calf lost now and then maybe cheaper.
Probably has Great Pyrenees if they are white. That is what my mixes are (three of them) but one is an Anatolian/Pyrenees mix and I am doing some research on the Anatolian breed so as to understand her disposition. Some People after raising them from pups leave them with the herd and they find their own food amongst the small animals out there. They are very self sufficient it is said and willfully stubborn about their job. They think for themselves and need very little supervision. Loyal to the family and animals they are assigned to and very big. Below is a picture of an adult Anatolian that looks similar to my puppy who is 6 1/2 months old. She has a little more fur due to the mix but, the markings and look are the same. She is the second picture taken about a month ago. She is already over 70lbs.

Anatolian-Shepherd-3.jpg

20210830-135638.jpg

Probably has Great Pyrenees if they are white. That is what my mixes are (three of them) but one is an Anatolian/Pyrenees mix and I am doing some research on the Anatolian breed so as to understand her disposition. Some People after raising them from pups leave them with the herd and they find their own food amongst the small animals out there. They are very self sufficient it is said and willfully stubborn about their job. They think for themselves and need very little supervision. Loyal to the family and animals they are assigned to and very big. Below is a picture of an adult Anatolian that looks similar to my puppy who is 6 1/2 months old. She has a little more fur due to the mix but, the markings and look are the same. She is the second picture taken about a month ago. She is already over 70lbs.

Anatolian-Shepherd-3.jpg

20210830-135638.jpg
Not a dog expert by any means, but I am trying to remember he said Pomeranian, or something like that. Anyway, they are solid white and have long hair. Huge dogs fully grown. They don’t look like the pics of yours.

I have had dogs my entire life also. Just can’t imagine living without one. And every dog I’ve had since I’ve been grown has ridden with me in my truck, or as of late, my RTV. They all have different personalities, and it makes life interesting, to say the least. I still grieve over the first dog my wife and I had together, nearly 40 years ago. He was a mixed collie that only lived less than 2 years, but I cried like a baby when I buried him. And I’ll do the same when Mace goes, if I outlive her. Love my dogs, useless or not.
They do have different personalities and become part of the family. It is said a pup develops a lot of brain pathways between 8 and 12 weeks. Some say that is a good time to introduce your pup to new things. Of course a smart dog can be a problem though. A smart dog may get bored and look for something to do, and it may not be what you would like. A less smart dog is often satisfied to lay around and veg out.

Good morning D-League. Chilly in Pigeon Forge.

We are taking it slow this morning after a couple climbs yesterday that had out calves screaming. Anyone ever hike up to Chimney Tops? It’s worth it for the views, but almost two miles, all vertical. Also walked up a steep piece of the Appalachian Trail near the overlook at Clingman’s Dome. A really nice first day that had us excited about being here.

It did cause me to miss the Cats game, but my daughter recorded it and I’ll find the time. My older daughter is a Gator like her mother, my ex, so the UK-Florida thing has been a family ruckus for many years.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Yes Sir...

22780313_1833543719992533_3578338455574508116_n.jpg

Not a dog expert by any means, but I am trying to remember he said Pomeranian, or something like that. Anyway, they are solid white and have long hair. Huge dogs fully grown. They don’t look like the pics of yours.

My Guard Dog Pomeranian..... Pebbles... he guarded all the food in the house.

I still miss that dog. He is buried on my property in South Carolina...

This was at our home in San Antonio... He was a goodun...

19466672_1701118889901684_3604651387571143396_o.jpg

The first one pictured above was an Anatolian Shepherd and the second picture was mine which was an Anatolian Shepherd/Pyrenees mix. Below is a picture of a pure Great Pyrenees.

71ef5c73f91f1359c24fde68dd740b01.jpg

They do have different personalities and become part of the family. It is said a pup develops a lot of brain pathways between 8 and 12 weeks. Some say that is a good time to introduce your pup to new things. Of course a smart dog can be a problem though. A smart dog may get bored and look for something to do, and it may not be what you would like. A less smart dog is often satisfied to lay around and veg out.
Absolutely. The mixed Collie I mentioned was the smartest dog I’ve ever seen. We ran a dairy farm, and come milking time, our cows would be scattered over a couple hundred acres of pasture land. All I had to do was point to a cow, and he would go bring her to the barn to be milked. And he was just a few months old. Unbelievable. Damn I miss that dog. Unfortunately, he was hit by a car and didn’t survive it.

Here is what I want to get in the future. Now, the picture is a bit misleading because the woman is sitting further back but, these dogs are huge. The fur does make them look bigger though and they are very expensive. The Caucasian Mountain Dog AKA the Caucasian Shepherd.

caucasian-mountain-dog-with-its-owner-780x780.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT