ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Good morning D-League. It's currently 66° and cloudy here in Eastern Kentucky. This afternoon will be overcast, with rain showers at times and a high of 82°.

Everyone stay safe on this Saturday.

rural-kentucky-picture-id497416361

Nice, reminds me of Chisum!

Chisum.jpg

Wife wants to go shopping today and buy me lunch and my B-day present that I pick out at Academy Sports (more fishing gear). Sundays are her relaxation days so instead of celebrating Sunday (the actual day), we are celebrating today. Hers is Tuesday so, I will pamper her tomorrow but, still prepare a little surprise for Tuesday.

Happy Birthday you fisherman you...

img.gif

Tell my Darling I just posted this and it's on... ;) (PLEASE don't tell my Darling!!!)

Last edited:
If you all "take a notion", give Ole Cowtown Cat a vote... (It will serve two good purposes.)

Bumping for CTC (He did not ask me, I volunteered.)

I think you'll like it Sawnee. David Eberly is the real deal when it comes to American heroes. And he has the Right Stuff - his book is a matter of fact portrayal of what he went through, in which he gives all credit to God for seeing him through.

We talked last night about meeting up soon over in Arlington, Va. I hope that comes to pass.
Do me a favor. If you visit the cemetery place a penny on this tombstone. He was KIA and it really was a sad day for my mother and her family. He was a good boy and in a way, I am thankful he did not see what happened to the U.S. military. I want to think he did not die in vain but I am not so sure now. RIP cousin, some of us still care.

00-VGoiT3Y43HCVi5zFo8RP4qAIx90G3xGFQmQ4UHj7teQmydfeM1SUwhG3up09J_LYUnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg

Do me a favor. If you visit the cemetery place a penny on this tombstone. He was KIA and it really was a sad day for my mother and her family. He was a good boy and in a way, I am thankful he did not see what happened to the U.S. military. I want to think he did not die in vain but I am not so sure now. RIP cousin, some of us still care.

00-VGoiT3Y43HCVi5zFo8RP4qAIx90G3xGFQmQ4UHj7teQmydfeM1SUwhG3up09J_LYUnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg
Wow. I know the pain from a loss like that never goes away Sawnee. I’ll keep him in mind when I next visit Arlington Cemetery, a place I try to get to often. My FIL, a Korean War vet, was interred there just before Covid, and we need to go pay respects to him soon.

Wow. I know the pain from a loss like that never goes away Sawnee. I’ll keep him in mind when I next visit Arlington Cemetery, a place I try to get to often. My FIL, a Korean War vet, was interred there just before Covid, and we need to go pay respects to him soon.
While you are there look up Archie Daine Borden.

"Archie Daine Borden Navy Commander:

Archie Daine Borden, a retired Navy commander, died Wednesday (July 12, 1989) at his Fort Worth home. He was 62. Funeral will be at 3 p.m. Tuesday at Fort Meyers Chapel in Arlingon, VA. Military graveside service will be in Arlington National Cemetery. Harveson & Cole Funeral Home in Fort Worth is in charge of the arrangements."

Daine was one of my childhood hero's from my family. His sister was my Aunt Loy and wow what times we had him telling me about flying off an aircraft carrier. He launched all my dreams of becoming a pilot.

While you are there look up Archie Daine Borden.

"Archie Daine Borden Navy Commander:

Archie Daine Borden, a retired Navy commander, died Wednesday (July 12, 1989) at his Fort Worth home. He was 62. Funeral will be at 3 p.m. Tuesday at Fort Meyers Chapel in Arlingon, VA. Military graveside service will be in Arlington National Cemetery. Harveson & Cole Funeral Home in Fort Worth is in charge of the arrangements."

Daine was one of my childhood hero's from my family. His sister was my Aunt Loy and wow what times we had him telling me about flying off an aircraft carrier. He launched all my dreams of becoming a pilot.
Sounds like a true hero Bert. I spent a few weeks on the USS Saratoga in the Red Sea just before the start of the Desert Storm air campaign. Those pilots - a few of whom were soon to be shot down and killed or captured - were impressive young men.

Funny thing this morning before going out with my wife. My 15 year old daughter came up to me and ask that when we get back could I take her out somewhere to get her mother a birthday card for tomorrow. I said sure but we could do it on Monday easier with her not here. She says: "Yeah but her birthday is tomorrow" I said: "No, mine is". A blank look came over her face and then reality hit. She then says: "Well, we have too many birthdays in August and I can't keep up with all of them". I said: "True and don't be ashamed, I am not offended". My brother has one on the 19th, a grandson on the 21st and a granddaughter on the 30th as well. She has been grumpy all afternoon now. Had me laughing and she said: "Dad, it ain't funny".

Had a great day mostly free of media and the internet. Weird how much better my mood gets the longer I don't hear or see people trying to increase my rage response.

Last bastion of such is the D-League. Hope the entire D-L had a great day today and have a great start to their week tomorrow!

I miss block parties and potlucks. Families getting together to help their new neighbors paint or lay sod and such. Those are days long gone I suppose, but 2 old neighbors helped me without anybody asking this past week and reminded me of those days.

I've done a lot of helping without asking for nor receiving it in return. It is humbling to receive it. I'm thankful to God for it and for those of like character who give it to others.

A near generation behind. This is a driver issue now. can't tell you how many I see texting and driving in that order. Forget if you are at a red light hoping to get through it. Someone will be texting instead of driving and leave you behind them at the light again.
Around here, texting and driving isn't so much the problem, it's them not knowing their left from their right. Too many people drive in the left lane forcing people to have to pass on the right. When you pass them, they have that jackass eating briars look.

Good morning D, been a rough night, awake since 2:30, cool outside on the deck this morning with coffee.

Read Hosea 13 yesterday and 14 this morning, I guess it's on to Joel.

Our church has cancelled services for a week, I think it's 6 churches in our county that have cancelled now.

I hope the D has a great LORDS' DAY and Prayers for the D!!!!

Good Sunday Morning

Read Hosea 14-Repentance

We have a typical day in store, it is 74° and sunny and our high will reach 87°. Afternoon showers are forecast and we should have a nice Gulf breeze like yesterday. There is no activity in the Gulf that I saw reported.

Today in church is Back to School Day. The church gives all of the school age children a back pack with all of the supplies they will need for their class grade. It is a tradition that has gone of for many years. No masks will be distributed though.

I trust all have a great and safe day. I noticed many old posters are absent for one reason or another and I trust it is not because of health issues. May God bless all.

26981f0825fdd47e7e32ab2cd96f8afd.jpg

Absolutely beautiful morning here on the porch!! About 60 now...going up to the high 70s...and little humidity in the Buckeye State. Feels like Fall rather than Summer. As a couple of you say about your weather...'I'll take it.'

Not much going on today. I hardly ever do any yard work, etc on Sundays unless I have to. Was always taught by my parents that Sunday was the Lord's Day....a day of rest. So I would hate to go against my parents.. 😉

Looking at that picture of the old church sawnee....reminds me of a couple of my aunts/uncles houses back when I was a youngster who lived in S. Ky. Hot Summer day the dogs would always be laying up underneath the house. Guess it was cooler there than under one of the big ol trees.

Y'all have a good, safe, and healthy Lord's Day.

One of these days I'm going to go ballistic when we're having a family dinner and one of the younger ones (under 40) pulls out their phone texting/reading just under the dinner table.
Around here, texting and driving isn't so much the problem, it's them not knowing their left from their right. Too many people drive in the left lane forcing people to have to pass on the right. When you pass them, they have that jackass eating briars look.
Here in Ohio (and I have always thought that Northerners are rude...and getting worse) on a paved road/highway where the shoulder is rather wide...say 3,4 feet or more....they'll pass you on the RIGHT even if it's a two lane road. Especially if you're making a left hand turn. People in too much of a hurry to slow down/stop for a few seconds. Had a friend who got hit that way. Car in front of him was turning left, he wasn't... just stopped to wait, car coming from behind went to pass both of them on the right hand shoulder, car in front of my buddy turned, my buddy accelerated.... Idiots, just idiots.

Good morning D-League. Nice and cool in the east.

I’ve taken advantage of the cooler weather to start easing back into running after letting my arthritic knee rehab for a few months. My weight has been creeping up so it’s a necessary pain in the ass.

Our daughter is arriving from Austin late tonight. It’ll be great to see her for the first time since New Years week.

I hope you all have a great day.

One of these days I'm going to go ballistic when we're having a family dinner and one of the younger ones (under 40) pulls out their phone texting/reading just under the dinner table.

Here in Ohio (and I have always thought that Northerners are rude...and getting worse) on a paved road/highway where the shoulder is rather wide...say 3,4 feet or more....they'll pass you on the RIGHT even if it's a two lane road. Especially if you're making a left hand turn. People in too much of a hurry to slow down/stop for a few seconds. Had a friend who got hit that way. Car in front of him was turning left, he wasn't... just stopped to wait, car coming from behind went to pass both of them on the right hand shoulder, car in front of my buddy turned, my buddy accelerated.... Idiots, just idiots.
Pipeline road is a 2 lane highway than runs through the middle of Saudi Arabia and I was in a humvee going to pick up some supplies when a car started to pass us on the left. Then another car started passing that one on its left in the sand while another started passing us on the right in the sand. Four across on a 2 lane highway all the while another vehicle was coming from the other direction. I told my drive to hit the brakes and let everyone by. Somehow, they all converged on to the lane ahead of us without hitting each other or the on coming car. Those Saudis be crazy.

Morning folks it is 71.1°F here and cloudy. I prayed for rain last night and got none so I am praying for rain today. I may get desperate and ask Cordmaker for some. The last time he delivered over four inches.

On folks up north being more rude than folks in the south; I generally agree with that and I think a lot of it has to do with weather and culture. In the south you move slower because of summer heat. When I moved from Louisville to Jacksonville in 1976 I notice how slow folks moved in Jacksonville. A few months later I was moving at their pace also. This is just antidotal; however, folks in Jacksonville were more friendly than in Louisville. Houston was more friendly than Evansville etc.

Cell phones: my kids and grandkids (real and step) live with a phone glued to the end of their nose. When I go postal they just laugh at the old man.

Say hi to your long lost daughter MdWildcat.

You all have a good Sunday and Happy Birthday Warrior Cat.

Last edited:

This was on I-64 the other day, where the idiot was driving in the left lane. The semi in the right lane was going faster than them on a hill. You have signs posted all along the highway, saying keep right except to pass, and here they are driving in the left lane, passing no one.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 78°F and clear. We received a passing shower late yesterday afternoon. Looking at 97°F for today's high. Possibility for thunderstorms tomorrow with highs in 80s.

Watching equestrian cross country right now on NBC. Those horses are amazing. Heh, sometimes they refuse jumping.

Chores and errands on today's agenda after a walk.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

national-homemade-pie-day.jpg

Morning folks it is 71.1°F here and cloudy. I prayed for rain last night and got none so I am praying for rain today. I may get desperate and ask Cordmaker for some. The last time he delivered over four inches.

On folks up north being more rude than folks in the south; I generally agree with that and I think a lot of it has to do with weather and culture. In the south you move slower because of summer heat. When I moved from Louisville to Jacksonville in 1976 I notice how slow folks moved in Jacksonville. A few months later I was moving at their pace also. This is just antidotal; however, folks in Jacksonville were more friendly than in Louisville. Houston was more friendly than Evansville etc.

Cell phones: my kids and grandkids (real and step) live with a phone glued to the end of their nose. When I go postal they just laugh at the old man.

Say hi to your long lost daughter MdWildcat.

You all have a good Sunday and Happy Birthday Warrior Cat.

wslr8.jpg

Thanks for that. Been a while since I had heard that one. It is played at every retirement ceremony each post has at the end of every month.

Did not know that. This is the first time I've heard this song. Catchy tune and lyrics. I listened to it a half dozen times. I found it by looking up McArthur's retirement speech.

Things you hear in church........

A Texan, A Floridian, and a Kentuckian all die and goes to hell. While there, they spy a red phone and ask what the phone is for. The devil tells them it is for calling back to Earth. The Texan asks to call Dallas and he talks for 5 minutes. When he is finished, the devil informs him that the cost of the call is a million dollars, so the Texan writes him a check. Next the Floridian calls Miami and talks for 30 minutes. When he is finished, the devil informs him that the cost of the call is 6 million dollars, so he writes him a check. Finally the Kentuckian gets his turn so he calls Louisville and talks for 4 hours. When he is finished, the devil informs him that the cost of the call is $5.00. When the Texan hears this, he goes ballistic and asks the devil why the Kentuckian got to call Louisville so cheaply. The devil smiles and replies, "Since Andy Beshear took over, the state has gone to hell, so it's a local call”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT