ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Best Actor Oscar goes to....

225120348_369596624724519_746761474089370637_n.jpg

James Cagney- Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942)

One of my all time favorite movies. I own it and normally watch it at least once a year. (Gary Cooper presenting.)

Gary Cooper won the year before for.................. "Sergeant York" (I own that one too.)
Gary cooper, one of my favorite actors and sgt york one of my all time favorite movies. the only musical movies i ever cared for are wizard of oz and paint your wagon.

Always watched Jaws the week before our family rented a beach house in Delaware for ten days to get in the mood. We did that every summer from the year our first was born til they were both away from home.

I also enjoyed the book. A little different. A little darker. Spoiler alert…in the book the Richard Dreyfus character has an affair with the chief’s wife, then gets eaten by the shark in the end…
I took my family on vacation to Navarre Beach, Fl in the late 1970's and they were filming Jaws II while we were there. The crew was staying at the same hotel we were at. It was a Holiday Inn Resort complete with a Dome that had a huge indoor pool and play area for kids.

Floating out in the Gulf of Mexico was a giant mechanical shark and it was fun watching them manipulate the thing. The crew was pretty friendly as well.

But the thing that really stuck with me that week of vacation was talking with a group of Tennessee football fans. They talked constantly about firing their football coach and bringing back Johnny Majors. Majors was at Pittsburg and winning big with Tony Dorsett and Tennessee was losing to Kentucky. It was a fun week.

Gary cooper, one of my favorite actors and sgt york one of my all time favorite movies. the only musical movies i ever cared for are wizard of oz and paint your wagon.
I one time read an article (maybe on IMDB) that Gary Cooper would eat an entire pecan pie (think it was pecan) during breaks in filming.

Filming, whether it be TV/movies/or commercials is about like the road construction work noted above....sit around and wait. My 'ex' used to do some commercials and it would talk an entire day to do a 30 second spot. Never could figure out why it couldn't be done in 15 minutes.

I took my family on vacation to Navarre Beach, Fl in the late 1970's and they were filming Jaws II while we were there. The crew was staying at the same hotel we were at. It was a Holiday Inn Resort complete with a Dome that had a huge indoor pool and play area for kids.

Floating out in the Gulf of Mexico was a giant mechanical shark and it was fun watching them manipulate the thing. The crew was pretty friendly as well.

But the thing that really stuck with me that week of vacation was talking with a group of Tennessee football fans. They talked constantly about firing their football coach and bringing back Johnny Majors. Majors was at Pittsburg and winning big with Tony Dorsett and Tennessee was losing to Kentucky. It was a fun week.
Good story Sawnee. It's funny how a Kentucky win in a big game or over a rival can punctuate a moment and make it so much sweeter.

By the way, Jaws2 - a bit underrated. No, it wasn't as good as the original, but the franchise didn't fall off the cliff in that movie. Still worth a late night watch.

I'm watching a couple of episodes of Kentucky Afield. I love these shows.
I have watched KA for a long time, I was in Grand Rivers one time at the Candyland candy shop and when I walked out, there was Hope Carleton, he spoke to me first, then we just started talking about the show, super nice guy, it's like we were best buds!!!!!

I have watched KA for a long time, I was in Grand Rivers one time at the Candyland candy shop and when I walked out, there was Hope Carleton, he spoke to me first, then we just started talking about the show, super nice guy, it's like we were best buds!!!!!
It's amazing Kentucky Afield has been around continuously since 1953. KET really increased popularity around the state.

Good morning, already 80 degrees, humidity is 98% and the dew point must be like 1,000 or close to it!!!! Just walking out you start sweating!!!! I got my orders today YOU DO NOT MOW!!!!!!

I read 11, GOD never stops loving!!!!

We got supper ready for me to put in the over this morning, meat loaf, squash and onions, then I am going to try something new called Lighthouse Inn Potatoes, I saw a video and I thought I have got to try that!!!!

I hope the D has a great day and Prayers!!!

D, I may have to quit posting, I misspelt two words and now I am going to take a step back and evaluate myself, the stress is awful, but I will be cheering the D, from the other side of the computer!!! No I'm not!!!

Morning D-League. It is a warm 75.0°F on its way to 94°.

Yes Sir,
I sit in many meetings regularly. In some meetings I listen to some gripe about how hard they've been working. Using that term "Working Hard"....

I have stated it to the groups many times when they get to that point. "Yeah, you work as hard as you can work and still sit in a chair."

A couple laugh but it goes off like the Calipari yelping dog statement to that Jerry character.
My son works from home. He has an office dedicated to the job. Here he is Tuesday during a crisis at work:
227361082_4162235110558708_1484180836326238794_n.jpg

Some times it is an overnight job.

Good morning, already 80 degrees, humidity is 98% and the dew point must be like 1,000 or close to it!!!! Just walking out you start sweating!!!! I got my orders today YOU DO NOT MOW!!!!!!

I read 11, GOD never stops loving!!!!

We got supper ready for me to put in the over this morning, meat loaf, squash and onions, then I am going to try something new called Lighthouse Inn Potatoes, I saw a video and I thought I have got to try that!!!!

I hope the D has a great day and Prayers!!!

D, I may have to quit posting, I misspelt two words and now I am going to take a step back and evaluate myself, the stress is awful, but I will be cheering the D, from the other side of the computer!!! No I'm not!!!

Go on a diet Sir.... Your misspelled words may be revealing a greater problem. Called fat-fingering. Not sure what foods are good for slimming the fingers... May be TMI but watch your diet...

Go on a diet Sir.... Your misspelled words may be revealing a greater problem. Called fat-fingering. Not sure what foods are good for slimming the fingers... May be TMI but watch your diet...
I am working on it!!! I am down to 173 this morning!!!! My fat fingers are caused by arthritis, over 35 years of carpet work!!!! I am amazed that my knees are not shot, every thing else has worn out!!!

My son works from home. He has an office dedicated to the job. Here he is Tuesday during a crisis at work:

Very closely resembles my office Sir. I dress a little better. My Grandson insists on me wearing socks and my house shoes but other than that as George would say;

quote-i-hit-ali-with-everything-and-he-said-is-that-all-you-got-and-i-said-yeah-that-s-pretty-george-foreman-113-25-65.jpg

Like that ARMY hat!!!!!
Yeap, he put in 20 years, most of it with the Army guard. The first 8 years he was full time Florida Guard. Then the war in Iraq came along in 2002 so he was activated for 16 months. He got a job in Franklin, KY and moved from the Florida Guard to Tennessee Guard in 2005, than another job in Louisville so he then joined the Kentucky Guard to finish out his time.

He wanted to put in 30 but his wife did not want that.

I am working on it!!! I am down to 173 this morning!!!! My fat fingers are caused by arthritis, over 35 years of carpet work!!!! I am amazed that my knees are not shot, every thing else has worn out!!!

Bless you Sir. I know what you are talking about. I did some serious work for a whole lot of years in "deplorable" situations but was always thankful as I was making a decent living and had peoples respect which I am positive you do. My hands are the same from the mud and muck I worked in for so long but they still function pretty decently so I cannot complain. My knee's too. My legs in general but I am walking and am real thankful for that!

Last edited:
Yeap, he put in 20 years, most of it with the Army guard. The first 8 years he was full time Florida Guard. Then the war in Iraq came along in 2002 so he was activated for 16 months. He got a job in Franklin, KY and moved from the Florida Guard to Tennessee Guard in 2005, than another job in Louisville so he then joined the Kentucky Guard to finish out his time.

He wanted to put in 30 but his wife did not want that.

My son was in the Kentucky Guard in Louisville for a time until he transferred to Florida before they deployed him. It was right around that time frame!

Barefoot is what I am right now and how I stay most of the day. I worked out of my house most of my career. My cases were usually out of state and I had to fly to them. I used my office for paper work and to make phone calls.

When I was in an office there were too many distractions and I could not get as much work done. My daughter works for a company that may make her work out of her home permanently. The decision will be made September 1. 95% sure it will be home and not office.

Very cool Colonel. That's not the place in Bracken County, KY, near Germantown? They featured that on one of those cable shows - Treehouse Masters I think -- Its very close to where my parents grew up, and I always wanted to stay there...
No, this one is in Ohio. A couple of months when I was looking around for a place and I Googled 'treehouse rental Ohio' , or something like that, I was surprised at how many came up. Guess it's kind of thing.

One of my boys sent me some pictures the other day of when they were building Buford Dam outside Atlanta that led to Lake Lanier. Been in front of that dam many times back when I lived outside Atlanta and we would take the boat up there. I had never seen them and thought they may be of interest to some of you .... especially @wildcatdonf and @Sawnee Cat.

One of my boys sent me some pictures the other day of when they were building Buford Dam outside Atlanta that led to Lake Lanier. Been in front of that dam many times back when I lived outside Atlanta and we would take the boat up there. I had never seen them and thought they may be of interest to some of you .... especially @wildcatdonf and @Sawnee Cat.

Thanks, I know the spot like the back of my hand. We lived off of Bald Ridge Marina Rd

A little warm and humid on the porch this morning. Storms rolling in so it might be a wet morning/afternoon.
The Mrs and her daughter and the kids are heading out later this morning for a long weekend at a small resort in east/central Ohio. Place has treehouses you stay in (may just be cabins on poles like you see in the Smokies), but they'll have fun. Not too far at all from the 'amish country' here in Ohio so I'm sure the Mrs will want to go to a couple little towns and shop. Already told her that if they do....to stop off at my favorite all-time restaurant with the best/largest donuts I've ever had...take a cooler and bring a few home.

Me? I'll enjoy the peace and quiet. Nothing else on the docket.

Y'all have a good day. Matthew has stayed where they're going......

As I've gotten older, I've come to appreciate the simpler things more, like peace and quiet.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 77°F and clear. 82% humidity. Slight possibility for showers late day. Expecting 97°F for today's high.

We hired a crew to pressure wash and paint our house. Also need an outside panel replaced. Washing complete. Painting should commence shortly.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

national-lasagna-day-1.jpg
81fa0b518e370809c54124fed84f4cb2.jpg

Amen to that.Likes to all above posts, sorry, don’t have time to pilfer through. Shit, farming is tough during late July-August. Lots of sweat and no net😅
Never thought of that (likes to all above post). I miss a few days and I am reading and liking at Commander Data's speed. I will have to use that one sometimes.

It's a hot one today, to hot for a UPS driver to get out of his truck and make a delivery. Jan saw him turn around in our parking lot. The back door to our building was wide open and you can see it from the driveway. There were 2 cars parked by our front door. Jan was sitting where she could see out the front door and watched him drive away. UPS says he tried to deliver and we were closed. She's spent a lot of time on the phone with their automated service and occasionally a person who spoke English poorly, basically a big runaround with UPS saying the package is 25 miles away and we can go pick it up.

It's a hot one today, to hot for a UPS driver to get out of his truck and make a delivery. Jan saw him turn around in our parking lot. The back door to our building was wide open and you can see it from the driveway. There were 2 cars parked by our front door. Jan was sitting where she could see out the front door and watched him drive away. UPS says he tried to deliver and we were closed. She's spent a lot of time on the phone with their automated service and occasionally a person who spoke English poorly, basically a big runaround with UPS saying the package is 25 miles away and we can go pick it up.
I should have made a career of being a UPS driver. I’m omitting the rest of my response

Haha. Can’t top that. But today our UPS driver apparently pulled up during a torrential downpour (I came in just before it started) dropped off a cardboard package on the front stoop and didn’t bother to ring the bell. By the time I found the package the cardboard was about as stiff as oatmeal. Luckily the contents weren’t something that water would damage.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT