ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Good morning from ATX. It's 77°F and cloudy. We may hit 97°F after clouds move out.

Plan on walking before our temperatures become too hot. Must work a few chores and errands. We'll check back later.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

NSC_Natl-Drive-Thru.jpg

Good Saturday morning D League

We have 73°F and sun, the high should reach 87° with a strong wind off of the Gulf. Afternoon scattered thunderstorms are expected.

We had our typical Saturday breakfast of sausage, eggs and grits with a big glass of orange juice. It sticks to my ribs. Later this morning we plan on heading over to Crystal River and check out what is happening. One of my favorite things to do is to visit Three Sister Springs. For those younger than me it is also fun to swim with the manatees. Most are back in the Gulf of Mexico but a few have made the area a permanent home. They will all return when the Gulf waters cool down in the fall and winter. The best place to swim with them IMO is Kings Bay.

Crystal River is a small, very Old Florida town that has maintained its Old Florida architecture and way of life. Almost every weekend there is a festival in the streets and street music and dancing. Very nice. Trust all have a nice day.

5e.jpg

I am on my second walmart bag of green beans that I am breaking for my twisted sister. She loves canning!!!!! She makes the best bread and butter pickles I have ever ate, she learned from the best, our MOM!!!!!!
We have finished with beans and pickles......potatoes and sweet potatoes is all we need to can.........I am waiting for my back to give me permission to dig......our canning recipes come from my MIL from up in the Blue Ridge Mountains......some of the recipes that the Director has, have been passed down for several generations.......

Good morning from ATX. It's 77°F and cloudy. We may hit 97°F after clouds move out.

Plan on walking before our temperatures become too hot. Must work a few chores and errands. We'll check back later.

NSC_Natl-Drive-Thru.jpg
Those little drive-thrus look like the Mrs' Christmas Village that comes out during the season....and under one of the trees.

We have finished with beans and pickles......potatoes and sweet potatoes is all we need to can.........I am waiting for my back to give me permission to dig......our canning recipes come from my MIL from up in the Blue Ridge Mountains......some of the recipes that the Director has, have been passed down for several generations.......
One of my favorite recipes, is pickled corn. Fix some soup beans, fried taters, pickled corn and cornbread, and you have a good country supper.

On the south bank of the Pithlachascotee River on Sunset Boulevard in Port Richey, Florida, is a quaint little bungalow home built around 1915. This historic little home overlooks a most picturesque spot, but it's much more then the age of this structure that makes it important to our local history-- it's the past owners. This home was once owned by some of the most notable performers of country music-- Johnny Cash and June Carter.

County records show on February 18, 1966 the home was acquired by June's parents Ezra J. and Maybelle Addington Carter. They purchased the home from widow Kittie C. Sheets on February 22, 1966, for $6,000. The Carters were famous in their own right. Maybelle was a well-known musician from the 1920s and, early in her career, performed with her brother Hugh Jack Addington and Carl Patton McConnell, her cousin.

Very modest for a country artist with the fame of June and Johnny Cash. Johnny Cash sold it in 2002 for $180,000.

In his 1998 book Cash: The Autobiography he wrote about Port Richey saying:
Once you're on our little street, on Pop Carter's front porch with the river right across the pavement from you and your boat bobbing at the dock, waiting to zoom you out into the open waters of the Gulf just a few hundred yards away, all [the other] stuff could be in another country. Here you have the tide, the meeting of freshwater with salt, the seabirds and marsh birds and land birds.

8aa043a239617aadba20818d90bd4a19.jpg

I liked Cpt. Kangaroo pretty good and Mr. Green Jeans...
My dad was one of the Kentucky guys that moved to Detroit to make cars when I was a baby. He went to work for Hudson, but got homesick and only stayed a year. Mom said people on the bus would give me coins to talk because they couldn't believe a kid that young could talk. That's odd because I'm one of the quietest people you will ever see.

My dad was one of the Kentucky guys that moved to Detroit to make cars when I was a baby. He went to work for Hudson, but got homesick and only stayed a year. Mom said people on the bus would give me coins to talk because they couldn't believe a kid that young could talk. That's odd because I'm one of the quietest people you will ever see.
Did all your talking as a baby!! You deserve a break

Building climbing scenes via "Bat Ropes" rocked too. Cameos were absolute classics. Remember Col Klink opening the window? Heh, way ahead of its time.

One of my early memories was Dad and Mom going back to Kentucky from Michigan to visit. (I was the baby by a lot of years and my Brother and Sister didn't make the trip. I was almost like an only child. Still try to make my kids understand that age gap and the feelings involved as there is a lot of years between my two oldest and my youngest.)

I was laying in the back window a lot of the trip playing with my Batman and Robin dolls and Army men (I remember for ATXCat) that Virgil swiped those dolls and Army men from me during that trip.). Ole Robin himself was in costume at a gas station my Dad pulled into off the highway. (I cannot remember but dad told me it was the real Robin from TV. He told me that a lot of years later too.) I was probably about 6 or so, not much more if not younger.

Robin came up in costume to meet me and I hunkered down in the back floorboard shy as all get out. He patted me on the head and I was so happy but I could do nothing else. (It probably was not the real one but I thought he was.)

Also remember Dad as angry as all get out just going on and on about the 42 or 44 cent gas prices on the highway.

I was one of those sad mountain boys who had to leave the hills to go "up north" to find work. Detroit the first time. Ended up going back home after about 4-5 months. Had to leave again, this time for Fort Wayne, IN. Never again moved back to the hills (married a Yank). I can remember lying in bed almost in tears, so lonesome for back home. This Dolly Partin song always brings back those memories.

"You ought to go north somebody told us
'cause the air is filled with gold dust ...

Last edited:
Morning all.

Heck, I was a Batman aficionado back in the day with Adam West and Burt Ward...
Discovered just about two weeks ago on I think The Roku Channel, the original Batman TV show from about 1950. Had no idea there was an earlier show. Funny watching Batman driving a regular old standard 1949/50 car.

Y'all have a good, safe, and healthy Lord's Day.

Did you whisper to them? ;)

I liked Cpt. Kangaroo pretty good and Mr. Green Jeans...
Captain Kangaroo (Bob Keeshan) was Clarabell the clown on the Howdy Doody Show. That show may be the first one i ever saw on TV. Late 1940's. My family did not get a TV until about 1956 because mama wanted nothing to do with them. Daddy wanted one so he bought one for her birthday and she was stuck with it. I got to see the World Series at my house that year. Thanks dad

Life in the 40's and 50's. I wouldn't have missed it for anything

My daughter left here yesterday about noon with a friend and her family to go to Hugo Oklahoma where they have an elephant sanctuary where you can wake up and feed the elephants breakfast from your own cabin. Been here a while and never knew that this place existed. It is about a 3 1/2 hour drive from us.

My daughter left here yesterday about noon with a friend and her family to go to Hugo Oklahoma where they have an elephant sanctuary where you can wake up and feed the elephants breakfast from your own cabin. Been here a while and never knew that this place existed. It is about a 3 1/2 hour drive from us.

I just about can do that, I have a neighbor about two doors down. he doesn't have a trunk but other than that he fits the bill... He's got that gargantuan thing going on...

Good morning from ATX. Currently 75°F and mostly cloudy. We should top out around 99°F today. The heat is on.

Will Shaner from UK Rifle won Olympic gold in 10 m air rifle beating two Chinese. Go Big Blue!

Chores and shopping on my agenda for today. Typical Sunday for me.

DFlPkUYVYAAhd7m.jpg

I was one of those sad mountain boys who had to leave the hills to go "up north" to find work. Detroit the first time. Ended up going back home after about 4-5 months. Had to leave again, this time for Fort Wayne, IN. Never again moved back to the hills (married a Yank). I can remember lying in bed almost in tears, so lonesome for back home. This Dolly Partin song always brings back those memories.

"You ought to go north somebody told us
'cause the air is filled with gold dust ...

Here you go Chief...Always loved this song, even though I went East not North. Still missed Kentucky and have never stopped thinking of it as home.

Been listening to a lot of George Jones on my long walks lately. Things are good and stable in my life but his music always reminds me of those days most of us have as young men with drama and heartache from relationships with women. As I said to a buddy in a bar one night when I was about 20 -- and he never let me forget: "It's good they have George Jones on this juke box. It's nice to know however bad you feel you can invest a quarter and in three minutes you'll be feeling much, much worse..."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT