ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Those were crazy days to be in LA.

For want of much else on TV right now I'm watching the series Aquarius, the fictional account of a detective in LA (David Duchovny) during the days when the Manson Family is on the rise...It's not great. The writers strain themselves to make sure we all get that blacks, Hispanics, women and Gays are all treated terribly, thus justifying all the whining and marching around since. So I'm not recommending it.

But there are some parts that aren't bad. The guy playing Manson does a decent job of almost making you feel he's a human broken by his terrible upbringing, just before he does something like viciously punching out his mother and turning her over to a biker gang as a toy.
You probably remember the 1976 mini series about the Manson murders. Steve Railsback did such a good job playing Manson that it hurt his career.

Last edited:
Wilted lettuce salad is still popular with some folks. i had it many times at my grandma’s. fresh leaf lettuce and chopped green onions out of her garden with hot grease from fried salt bacon. pretty damned good. some people add a little vinegar to the grease. i’ve made it, like forty years ago, minus the bacon, using hot peanut or canola oil. i haven’t had a slice of bacon or any red meat in 22 years.

My mother made it and I liked it. Haven't had it in 60 years.

When the Director and myself first got married her mother would come up from NC two to three times a year......the Director's brother would drive her up.......before she left home she would cook up enough cornbread to last the FIL while she was gone.......the only damn thing the man would eat the whole time she was gone was cornbread and buttermilk they made on the farm......I can't get past the first bite.......he told me he liked it better than ice cream and cake.....

Loves me some buttermilk and cornbread. I have it fairly regularly.

I drove close to Thompkinsville on July 13 to visit my cousin in TN. Traveled 249 out of Glasgow. Got behind a couple tractors. Driving 14-17 MPH for 11 miles on those twisting roads really gets on a person's nerves.
My route is over the Cumberland parkway to 90 outside Glasgow then 163 out of Summershade. It is all improved highway and many three lane sections. That is a few miles longer but the roads are a lot better.

I did pass one John Deere tractor and one New Holland combine.

Good morning D, read Hosea 3 this morning.

We have Calfsmog here in KY, California smog.

I hope the D has a great day and Prayers for the D!!!!! Got to get some peaches in some food saver bags today!
That is a good coined word Cordmaker. Now we need to come up with a coined word that will include Oregon and Washington, you know those states were everyone is a left wing, tree hugging, nut job who look down on stupid folks down south.

Those were crazy days to be in LA.

For want of much else on TV right now I'm watching the series Aquarius, the fictional account of a detective in LA (David Duchovny) during the days when the Manson Family is on the rise...It's not great. The writers strain themselves to make sure we all get that blacks, Hispanics, women and Gays are all treated terribly, thus justifying all the whining and marching around since. So I'm not recommending it.

But there are some parts that aren't bad. The guy playing Manson does a decent job of almost making you feel he's a human broken by his terrible upbringing, just before he does something like viciously punching out his mother and turning her over to a biker gang as a toy.

I lived in SoCal (Ventura) 1976-81. It was still a nice place to live then. I moved back to SoCal in 91 and lived there until 07 and watched the downward slide. It has gotten much worse since I left and I miss nothing about the place.

219533153_844453102841180_8430574184594265157_n.jpg

I lived in SoCal (Ventura) 1976-81. It was still a nice place to live then. I moved back to SoCal in 91 and lived there until 07 and watched the downward slide. It has gotten much worse since I left and I miss nothing about the place.
I first visited Southern California in 1970. I suppose that was the height of the smog and dirty air. I came in from the Northeast and there was a purple dome over LA just as we cleared the mountains.

California has some fantastic resources and landscapes of all sorts; however, in the last 50 years the leaders of that "most resource filled" state in the Union actually try to screw things up. I have never understood it.

I had a friend once who worked at Lockheed's Skunk Works, Palmdale, CA. He was a brain and as soon as he retired he got the hell out of California. He made a fortune on his house and bought one out of state for a small fraction of what he got.

That time of year. Was repairing a trimmer in the garage that kept shorting out this morning while using it. Heard a plane come over that was fairly loud. Thought....he's kind of low...but kept on working. Happened again a few minutes later. Went out in the yard...had a good idea what it was. Someone up the road was having their field(s) crop dusted. Neat to watch those guys get so low and then barely pull up over a tree or a tree line.
We had one last year that was so low that I could see him waving as he came over the backyard.
Wonder what the cost is for that? Have never asked any farmer friends.

That time of year. Was repairing a trimmer in the garage that kept shorting out this morning while using it. Heard a plane come over that was fairly loud. Thought....he's kind of low...but kept on working. Happened again a few minutes later. Went out in the yard...had a good idea what it was. Someone up the road was having their field(s) crop dusted. Neat to watch those guys get so low and then barely pull up over a tree or a tree line.
We had one last year that was so low that I could see him waving as he came over the backyard.
Wonder what the cost is for that? Have never asked any farmer friends.
Happened here last Tuesday. They are wonderful; and I bet it cost a bunch.

Happened here last Tuesday. They are wonderful; and I bet it cost a bunch.
About 3 years ago a rig much like this one parked next to our property and spent the whole landing...refilling....taking off....and doing it all over again. The truck/rig may have been bigger than this one. It was huge/long. We were having a cookout that night with some family and friends...and they loved it. Free entertainment.

6_101885729b.jpg

Sad news. I've always liked him....

Sad news. I've always liked him....

That makes 2 of us. He sent me an autograph picture years ago.

Last edited:
My Tanker Buddy is still at it God Bless him....

199022916_5629091097162025_9161313972885204194_n.jpg

I took a break from posting for a few days except for a few items. Been here liking posts and reading. Contemplating the way forward...

Oh, may your evening be filled with a peace beyond all understanding and may you wake refreshed with a new way to sing praise and have joy in the morning...

God Bless you all and your families...

Good morning from ATX. Currently 74°F and clear. 40% rain chance. Today's high may reach 92°F. More temps in the mid-to-high 90s on the way beginning this weekend.

Austin reverted back to stage-4 COVID status because infections are rising. We'll start wearing masks indoors again. Stay tuned on how this new status affects our return to the office.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

befunky-design17.jpg

Good morning D-League. Another eerie sunrise, I suppose influenced by western fires.

But all is well here. We’re supposed to have some cooler, less humid days.

As with Austin, I’m starting to hear rumors that our return to downtown DC offices will be postponed. That’s more than fine with me. No interest in resuming a subway commute.

I hope it’s a good day for everyone.

That is a good coined word Cordmaker. Now we need to come up with a coined word that will include Oregon and Washington, you know those states were everyone is a left wing, tree hugging, nut job who look down on stupid folks down south.
Reminds me of the word smog from the Beverly Hillbillies movie with Jim Varney. When talking about California the questions arises: What's a smog? They all start thinking about it and after the Jeopardy music quits playing Jethro says: "I guess it's a small hog".

Good morning from ATX. Currently 74°F and clear. 40% rain chance. Today's high may reach 92°F. More temps in the mid-to-high 90s on the way beginning this weekend.

Austin reverted back to stage-4 COVID status because infections are rising. We'll start wearing masks indoors again. Stay tuned on how this new status affects our return to the office.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

befunky-design17.jpg
Looks more like peanut butter fudge. I think I will substitute peanut butter fudge for that French confection.

Good morning all.

After three straight days of mowing, trimming grass, trimming bushes, cutting down a couple bushes, and so forth...I'm beat. Too old for this %@#*. And to think...give it a few days and it will all be back to where it started, except for the two bushes that I cut down. Then I'll have to do it all over again.

Y'all have a good day.

Lowfat buttermilk sux. big time.
Whole milk buttermilk is true buttermilk.
Kroger brand whole is excellent, been drinking it and using it in recipes for many years. can’t beat it. $1.79 half gallon forever, then two weeks ago jumps to $2.99. thanks cho.

I make my own using organic whole milk. Organic whole lasts on average about 18-21 days past the expiration on the carton. They were recently just $3.39 each. Haven't purchased any this month to know if the price has changed. The flavor of the organic was better, imo. More like what milk tasted like when I was a kid. Jfyi. Prices on that will probably go up as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT