ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

I stuck an M113 about as bad at Hohenfels MTA once. Called in an M88. Easy recovery for those beasts.
Had to be pulled into battle by an M88 during our trek across Iraq. I was on the top of the M88 as we crossed the Saudi-Iraq border. The fan tower on my M110A1 Howitzer froze up in route because of sand. Quickly got it replaced in our first position. Amazing how quickly maintenance can work when you really need to move. Below is my howitzer awaiting maintenance.

Had to be pulled into battle by an M88 during our trek across Iraq. I was on the top of the M88 as we crossed the Saudi-Iraq border. The fan tower on my M110A1 Howitzer froze up in route because of sand. Quickly got it replaced in our first position. Amazing how quickly maintenance can work when you really need to move. Below is my howitzer awaiting maintenance.

Yeah, sand is always a scourge. Maintenance during Desert Storm was a constant challenge. I TC'd an M577 command track. As luck would have it, our fan tower froze shortly after cease fire. What a mess.

Top three places I’ve reported on US Troops that the US should never set foot in again, but probably will: 1. Somalia 2. Afghanistan 3. Haiti
I transferred from 2AD FWD to 1AD in 1992 during drawdown/realignment. A Stars and Stripes Europe headline from 1993 mentioned my unit might receive alert for deployment to Somalia. Glad I missed that one.

I transferred from 2AD FWD to 1AD in 1992 during drawdown/realignment. A Stars and Stripes Europe headline from 1993 mentioned my unit might receive alert for deployment to Somalia. Glad I missed that one.
It was brutal. I went into Mogadishu with a couple other guys about a month before the Marines came in. The clans spent that time in constant firefights trying to control as much of the city as they could before forced to cease fire when the UN intervened. We had no clean water, power, or plumbing and were eating rancid camel meat. I got dysentery and lost 38 pounds. In short, you didn’t miss a thing.

I'm with you on the shrimp scampi Bert. For a fast food restaurant, Long John Silver's has pretty good scampi.

We ate at Long Johns today about 6 or so. They only have one fish restaurant of the fast food variety in Woodbridge and we were out and about and decided to again try the Long Johns (At least drive by it as back in 2018 or so it was a dump I'd NEVER eat at again BUT they totally remodeled it.) It was some decent change of pace food. My darling and I got eight pieces of fish, a small green beans, and a small corn. My Darling nearly peels all the batter off the fish and I love the hush puppies but to save on the grease I didn't get the hush puppies. Used my military discount and it was still 17 dollars. It was seriously just fried and a good taste.

All this talk of shrimp reminds me of when I was a kid of 21 in the late 1970s, living in Pompano Beach, Fla.

There was a pier that stretched out a ways, and twice a year as I recall (not clear on that part), the shrimp would run up the coast, and come in at night close enough that you could go out, hang a lantern on a rope just above the water, and scoop them with a long pole with a net on the end.

Anyone else ever do that? The young woman I was living with in those days was a native of South Florida and her brother had the gear and we'd get enough to boil them up and have them with a sauce she made.

My darling and I used to shrimp that way in South Carolina a lot, plenty of small piers to park and walk about dark thirty. A light and a small cast net and we were shrimping.

My Dad was like that. He made very good money, but his whole career he did that...get a raise and he would save it. Philosophy of we lived OK before it....so we don't need it now.
He also dealt in mostly cash. Of course back in his time very, very few people had credit cards. Some had 'store cards' but even when credit cards became more popular, 60s, 70s, he may have had one and that's it. And no balance.
We had quite a lot (material things)...but no debt.

Same here. Don't owe a penny to anyone or anything. Great feeling.

I owe some but I could pay it all off so I am good. We have credit cards but never carry a balance, pay them as we go. We keep some assets liquid to assist our kids or buy another property if the opportunity comes around that we like. (Just made an offer on a piece of property a few minutes ago. I hope we get it.)

Does waiting for the shrimp boat(s) to arrive at the dock and buying fresh shrimp count as shrimping?
If so, count me in as a shrimper. Lot less work.
Knew of a place in Thunderbolt (I believe) outside Savannah where you could do that. Plus just up from the dock was an old seafood market and seafood restaurant that I would eat at when I was there. Been there a long time...tables had a hole in the middle (threw your shrimp shells there...trash can under the table). Good food.

That's my extent of shrimping.

It's a cool upper 50s this morning and clear. Heading up to about 80. They say a chance of showers but when I look at the weather app and the hourly forecasts...it shows about 10-15% every hour so go figure.

Not much going on today. The Mrs is meeting up with some other ladies who have started a yown beautification committee....so I guess they're working on a project this morning beatifying something. Who knows, but she'll enjoy it...gives her something else to do....and maybe it will benefit the town.
Mowed about all day yesterday so may do some trimming today. Or straighten up the garage (a project I could do everyday...how does it get so messy?...who leaves all my tools laying around?)

Y'all have a good Saturday.

Something that is getting to be a thing of the past is canning. People would can corn, green beans, pickles, hot green tomato kraut, tomato juice, blackberry jelly/jam, etc. One of my favorites was, pickled corn. Fix some soup beans, fried potatoes, and pickled corn, and you had a good country supper. Pickled beans were also good also, but not nearly as good as pickled corn.
We put up a lot of food in jars.......I was doing an inventory on our canning jars yesterday.......we have a mountain of jars......and three pressure cookers.....two for quarts and one for half gallons......in a two season period we put up over 1,300 jars of food..........most of our grandchildren don't even know green beans come in tin cans.....

I owe some but I could pay it all off so I am good. We have credit cards but never carry a balance, pay them as we go. We keep some assets liquid to assist our kids or buy another property if the opportunity comes around that we like. (Just made an offer on a piece of property a few minutes ago. I hope we get it.)
With credit cards that give you 1-3% cash back.......we keep two cards......we learned a good lesson one time in England.....we only had one credit card and someone at London Gatwick airport stole our number and our card was locked the next day......we was at a very nice restaurant and I tried to pay for a large bill.......for 14 people.....my daughter saved the day and our vacation with a loan..........it still cast a pall over our vacation.....

Good morning from Shawanee, TN. Currently 66°F and partly cloudy.

Planning on accompanying daughter to Ellis Tires in Middlesboro at 9 am. Her car needs a new tire. Leaving SE KY area at 11 am EST. Plan on arriving at Bert's around 2 pm. I may return here on Tuesday, but doubtful. Probably stay in central KY until Wednesday morning.

Been a good visit. Gonna miss it as always.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

69d35954ae4b188b7b1d155483bf7f71.jpg

.I was doing an inventory on our canning jars yesterday.......we have a mountain of jars......
A number of years ago during the Winter months I was bored so I thought I would start a project on a room in the basement that is closed off with a door....back in the day it was a root cellar. Knew that there were a lot of old canning jars there...some even had 'something' in them (who knows what and how old)...but the old root cellar was mostly a junk room. Found a bunch of very old, very neat things. Her family history, 1800s newspapers, etc. But there were probably a couple thousand jars. So I started taking the ones that looked the oldest and cleaning them up. Got online and found a number of sites where you could date them, and even how much they may be worth today. So now the Mrs has a number of them displayed around the house.....quite a few are supposedly worth more than $2000 each.

Good Saturday Morning

I read Jeremiah 42

We have sunny skies with a temperature of 74°. Winds are calm. This afternoon we expect a high of 84° with increased chances of rain showers.

Not a lot going on, it may be a good day to dig into the garage and do some more "downsizing". I sold another item on Ebay as I continue to sell off my UK memorabilia collection and sports magazines. I sold a Lindsey's Football Preview this morning with Jerry Claiborne on the cover. A UK fan from Lakeland bought. It was like new condition as all of the items I am selling are. Cawood Ledford had a UK magazine back in the 1980's and I sold one of his publications with Rex Chapman on the cover to a man in Burlington, KY.

I trust all have a great day. Here is Cawood's Debut Issue. I wonder how many UK fans even knew he had a UK Sports Magazine.

00-VGoiT3Y43HCVi5zFo8RP4qAIx90G3xGFQmQ4UHj7teQyvRU7A8DdC9gyVdRxkpDwaAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA

Last edited:
It's a cool upper 50s this morning and clear. Heading up to about 80. They say a chance of showers but when I look at the weather app and the hourly forecasts...it shows about 10-15% every hour so go figure.

Not much going on today. The Mrs is meeting up with some other ladies who have started a yown beautification committee....so I guess they're working on a project this morning beatifying something. Who knows, but she'll enjoy it...gives her something else to do....and maybe it will benefit the town.
Mowed about all day yesterday so may do some trimming today. Or straighten up the garage (a project I could do everyday...how does it get so messy?...who leaves all my tools laying around?)

I have never seen an ugly yown before. But, to be honest, I have never seen a yown.

What the hell is a yown?

PM6x.gif

Planning on accompanying daughter to Ellis Tires in Middlesboro at 9 am. Her car needs a new tire. Leaving SE KY area at 11 am EST. Plan on arriving at Bert's around 2 pm. I may return here on Tuesday, but doubtful. Probably stay in central KY until Wednesday morning.

Whew! Good thing it was not pick your nose day.

Last edited:
They hired some temp-to-hire workers at my job 2 weeks ago, one has already quit, and the other has a foot out the door. Sitting home and drawing unemployment all these months has made people lazier than ever.
I guess it is just pure ego, but I could not do that.

Doing shit like that would really piss my dad off in heaven. Lazy is horrible and inexcusable.

. . . .

When you go inside the house, tools move around. Grass falls off the weed whacker and mower. Cardboard boxes float through the air and land every where.

It is a cloudy 76.6°F here with a high of 85°F and a 70 percent chance of rain.

Be safe Austin.

Hopefully finished or at least stops for a few by the time I drive by in a couple hours.

Give the brother Sir a hug for me. (That's how I'd do it.)

May your travel be safe. I could not make my trip. I'd be on the road now to Michigan. The wife and I both are down with something and I will miss my brothers 70th birthday. I am near despondent as it has been too long since I have seen my family. The disrespect I feel I showed my brother is what is hurting me bad by me not being there. The wife and I have had the China Virus shots. My Brother and his wife have not and they were not concerned but my Darling and I made a decision not to chance it. We are both not well. We are still thankful but hurt a bunch. We will make the trip as soon as we are able.

Oh, May God's love encompass you all today to where you can actually feel it. God's love is a powerful touch of true love. May you feel God's touch today! God Bless you all...

Where are all the trees?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT