ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

'On further review' to my previous post re:KFC price.....guess my dinner isn't as cheap as I originally thought (but probably better). Had to buy 2 .... $22. Total of 2 more pieces than Austin's KFC, but his probably had 'family size' sides and 3 sides instead of 2.

Think I'll stop now analyzing this cost/price/ratio. The Mrs always says I analyze things (especially costs of things) w a y too much.

Sounds like "You be, like I be" Sir.... Frugal..... Nothing wrong in that area.

Wow...23 bucks! KFC is OK but I don't think they're worth that....but prices...they be a going up.
Seems that KFC varies all over the map as to taste/quality and size portion. Most KFCs that I've been to the last number of years, the pieces are very small. Of course, most fryer chickens are what....about 4 months before they're processed?

The locally owned restaurant we went to last night, the chicken dinner is $13 ($11 for Senior)....5 pieces, fries, salad or cole slaw, and all the bread you want (dark pumpernickel rye or light rye...fresh baked).

Before I get involved in something here in a minute....Y'all have a good Friday.
I think you are right. Different areas, different product. When the Colonel ran it quality control was demanded by him. No variations. He was a regular visitor at stores and was there to make sure it passed his test. He ran it like an Army Colonel and included a streak of profanity. #@%***@@@&&

When John Y bought KFC in the 60's my dad went to work with him to run field operations and he set up stores as far away as Alaska. He became friends with the Colonel and continued "Quality Control". KFC has been bought and sold a few times now and it appears quality has suffered as prices soar. But that is most of America today, especially the fast food industry.

Last edited:
Sounds like "You be, like I be" Sir.... Frugal..... Nothing wrong in that area.
That word sounds so much better, and sophisticated than 'cheap'. The Mrs just says CHEAP.
Get it from my parents I guess...that Depression mentality Even though Dad did very well, he watched his $$$
With being brought up that way, then going to Business School, then running a fairly large company....I over analyze a lot of things.

Good Morning All,

I read Jeremiah 41

We are back in our regular July weather pattern. Sun and showers. It's currently 74° and winds are calm. This afternoon we expect a high of 86° with a slight chance of showers.

Nothing of importance going on. I always have the radio on in my office during the morning and today they are talking about COVID and the need for a third shot. I have no plans to get a third shot and if I was not as old as I am I would not have had the first two. I think I have had enough shots for a lifetime.

Another stupid comment said was a Democrat on the panel claimed Florida Democrats had a much higher rate of COVID and they blame that on the governor. I guess the National Democrat Party gave them the marching orders to destroy DeSantis because he is a threat to them. So blame him for more Democrats getting COVID. Why not?

Take care all and I wish all good health in body and spirit.

216504003_10225778153742497_4977508357417861167_n.jpg

The downfall of KFC is one of the great disappointments of my lifetime. They tell me there are still some individual stores that are still good but I have not found one in many years. I get up the nerve to try again every couple of years and every time I say never again. KFC once sued the Colonel for badmouthing their food. Youtube has many exposes of the horrors of their food and operations
KFC in Bowling Green is great and so is KFC in Cave City. Of course those are the two that I go to and I can judge others.

We are having a FLOOD here in the Berg, glad I got the yard mowed!!!!!

We got almost an inch of rain in about 45 minutes! Headed your way Bert!!!!

Send some to Bert. He is about to dry up and blow away
About that time we had lighting but now 10 hours later I got nuttin'.

It is overcast and a warm 74.3°F and humid, but no precious rain. In fact in accu weather only give us a 10% chance of rain today. I hope they are wrong.

That word sounds so much better, and sophisticated than 'cheap'. The Mrs just says CHEAP.
Get it from my parents I guess...that Depression mentality Even though Dad did very well, he watched his $$$
With being brought up that way, then going to Business School, then running a fairly large company....I over analyze a lot of things.

I can go out to eat when I want. That was actually a goal of mine. I can spend money easily BUT, it has to have purpose. Frivolous spending angers me for some reason. My parents never had anything and I don't have a lot but I am thankful. I sold my business with 11 employees and will use that as my retirement along with my current day job I hope to be able to retire in but I have about exactly two years before I can retire in this job. Not sure what I will do when I can do it but I am thinking it will be a lot more comfortable BUT I am in no rush!!! Time is too fast now...

Last edited:
Good Morning All,

I read Jeremiah 41

We are back in our regular July weather pattern. Sun and showers. It's currently 74° and winds are calm. This afternoon we expect a high of 86° with a slight chance of showers.

Nothing of importance going on. I always have the radio on in my office during the morning and today they are talking about COVID and the need for a third shot. I have no plans to get a third shot and if I was not as old as I am I would not have had the first two. I think I have had enough shots for a lifetime.

Another stupid comment said was a Democrat on the panel claimed Florida Democrats had a much higher rate of COVID and they blame that on the governor. I guess the National Democrat Party gave them the marching orders to destroy DeSantis because he is a threat to them. So blame him for more Democrats getting COVID. Why not?

Take care all and I wish all good health in body and spirit.

216504003_10225778153742497_4977508357417861167_n.jpg

Using any kind of common sense thinking for them Sir, would then be to tell them to NOT be a democrat so you will NOT get the China virus... current democrats are SO stupid! Yeah, stupid is as stupid does. They think no further than their statements whether they be sane statements or not...

The last Democrat I had any respect for was Zell Miller... Oh I wish he could have got his hands on Chris Matthews...

millerobit-3-jumbo.jpg

The fake news called him; "Feisty"

Oh, now THAT'S my kind of Sushi!!!

Last edited:
Good morning from Shawanee, TN. Currently 74°F and mostly cloudy. Today's high should reach around 86°F. Heavy rain hit earlier this morning. Nice and cool out, albeit humid.

Daughter off work early today. Plan on visiting her later. May run over to Middlesboro shortly.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

OMELETTE-DAY.jpg

Good morning from Shawanee, TN. Currently 74°F and mostly cloudy. Today's high should reach around 86°F. Heavy rain hit earlier this morning. Nice and cool out, albeit humid.

Daughter off work early today. Plan on visiting her later. May run over to Middlesboro shortly.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

OMELETTE-DAY.jpg

If you run into Phyllis, tell her I said hello, just don't tell her or any of them where I live. ;) I have a first cousin Monk there who I wouldn't mind if he knew where I lived.

We say conservative!!!!!

Monk is around, I believe. I'll ask today if anybody has seen him lately.

Monk was driving a Mercedes. Married a lady with money as I understand it. He actually is a good one. He can play the guitar like no bodies business. He has a sister (Also my first cousin) Suzie. He is a decent person. (Had been in the ministry (May still be.). A gifted person.) I have a cousin Laymon too that has been a preacher for a real long time. He lives somewhere near Chattanooga and has nearly since I can remember. (Wayne's brother.)

They are all six or seven or so years older than me. His name is actually Leonard (After his Daddy) His Dad died when I was about four or five. Had his funeral out on the Y in his house. (That is about my earliest recollection of my memories of my Uncles.)

Last edited:
Question for the D, I bought some really good shrimp from Kroger, I just thaw them out and eat them. My question is what other way can I fix them? Can I grill them?

Yes Sir,
A real slight grilling makes some good "shrimp's" (In my Best Bubba voice of Bubba Gump Shrimp.), you can also while grilling add a touch of butter. Doubt you need salt unless you are like my daughters who salt their salt.

Last edited:
Question for the D, I bought some really good shrimp from Kroger, I just thaw them out and eat them. My question is what other way can I fix them? Can I grill them?
Fortunately I do not eat frozen shrimp because they sleep in the Gulf the night before I eat them. But there must be a million ways to fix shrimp. Ole Bubba could testify to that. You will get a much better flavor if you use raw shrimp. If it is available.

We have shrimp very often and my favorite way to make it is Shrimp Creole . It is easy and looks something like this. Serve it over white rice.
190213-shrimp-creole-080-1550848956.jpg

Martha Stewart has 40 shrimps recipes on the link below. All are very good. It is hard to mess up good shrimp.

https://www.marthastewart.com/341264/shrimp-recipes

Fortunately I do not eat frozen shrimp because they sleep in the Gulf the night before I eat them. But there must be a million ways to fix shrimp. Ole Bubba could testify to that. You will get a much better flavor if you use raw shrimp. If it is available.

We have shrimp very often and my favorite way to make it is Shrimp Creole . It is easy and looks something like this. Serve it over white rice.

Martha Stewart has 40 shrimps recipes on the link below. All are very good. It is hard to mess up good shrimp.

I "likes" me some shrimp!!!

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

2bs4.gif

3KPt.gif

DimwittedSnarlingHart-max-1mb.gif

a077828a8cb19700f6bd9c5804eae9c8.gif

And Shrimp sandwich, I like shrimp sandwich!

We do a 'low country' shrimp boil every Summer. Will probably have one in 3 or 4 weeks when my step-daughter and her 2 rug rats are here for a month (lucky me). Something I think the kids would like.....
Get out the outside/propane turkey fryer. Fill with water, season with shrimp boil seasoning and lemons, throw in some potatoes, some corn, some sausage, and shrimp (don't think I forgot anything). Put newspapers over the outside patio tables, lift basket to strain the water, and dump it out. Then dig in.

We do a 'low country' shrimp boil every Summer. Will probably have one in 3 or 4 weeks when my step-daughter and her 2 rug rats are here for a month (lucky me). Something I think the kids would like.....
Get out the outside/propane turkey fryer. Fill with water, season with shrimp boil seasoning and lemons, throw in some potatoes, some corn, some sausage, and shrimp (don't think I forgot anything). Put newspapers over the outside patio tables, lift basket to strain the water, and dump it out. Then dig in.

Brought back a memory Sir; when my Darling and I came back from Korea and landed (To work) in South Carolina in Charleston, the subdivision we decided to build in invited us to an oyster cookout. They had three or four of the propane burners you described all full of oysters. They laid them out on tables with other fixings. I usually like my oysters fried but these I ate out of the shell with the other garnish. My Darling was in heaven on earth that evening. We were talking to prospective neighbors and just had a grand ole time with total strangers. A memorable event to state the least. That started our love for South Carolina as to date those are the most friendly people I have ever met on a continuing basis. Just nice, nice people.

Heck I was walking into a Little Caesars pizza joint and had to walk in between a group of thugs and even they called me Sir. Just a nice place...(I DO hope it has stayed that way. Our tenants are real decent people for sure.) The guy is in HVAC business and had to fix our A/C. Just charged me $61.00 for the part it needed. (We have been good to them too.)

Is there a difference in Creole and Gumbo?

Shrimp scampi. I am now fixing it.

Butter (3 tablespoons), extra olive oil (3 tablespoons), five or six cloves of garlic minced or all you want, a lot of black pepper, a couple teaspoons of salt. Cook this in a large skillet for a few minutes at a robust heat; until you want to eat anything that smells as good as garlic.

Pour in .75 cup of dry white wine, the juice of one large lemon, and red pepper if you like it. Cook the wine and lemon juice down to 1/2 it original size. Add 2 or 2 1/2 pounds of cooked shrimp with tails on, or off if you so choose. Warm up the shrimp, or if the shriimp is not cooked cook put them in as you cook down the wine and lemon juice, until the shrimp turns pink. Sprinkle parsley all over it, if you like parsley.

It is done. Quick easy and wonderful.

Serve over pasta, bread or rice; that is all up to you. I prefer rice my wife like pasta. We both like it over bread.

Shrimp scampi is good stuff. I just hope that I did not leave out some good stuff because I am typing this off my memory; however, that is usually the way I cook.

Very few things are better than shrimp scampi. It is so simple that you can't understand why it is so easy to fix.

Shrimp scampi is like women; God perfected a few things, and those two were perfected. 😁

Creole are a group of people and gumbo is a food/thick soup.

Both are wonderful.

I love foods from the gulf. Cajuns were dumped into the swamps and were supposed to die. Instead they invented some of the best food known to man.

The creole are the dark skinned folks in the New Orleans area that are mixed negro and every thing else. They are wonderful folks.

You know, for some strange reason (THE D) I knew this was going to show up!!!!!!

We cover it all on the D cord.
Yes, a lot of difference. A true gumbo has okra. We always use a minimum of two cups of chopped okra. A true gumbo also has a deep colored roux as a base. I try to get a copper color. Added to the mixture is bacon or at least bacon drippings and smoked sausage. And like shrimp creole you add white rice. Same with etouffee

The flavor in gumbo comes from it's deep rich dark roux. Now I am hungry cord

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT