ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

I would not touch that as I am not a Bible scholar. But I have never seen an angel.
Since God met with Satan twice in the Bible it is understandable that they met more times than that before. As far as are there angels it would be safe to say yes since Satan was an angel and the bible speaks of archangels, angels, Cherubim's, Seraphims, etc. imo. No Biblical scholar myself but, if we are to take the Bible as God words and guidance then, angels exist.

Oh, and by the way, read 40 this morning.

Wow, where did you find this. I went up and down those hills a couple of times a month marching troops. I was the 3rd Platoon Sgt for A-10-5. I found this picture of my Company taken in September 1966 on the link. I was a DI in A-10-5 from August 1966 to May 1968.

This looks like First Sgt Shaver leading PT. The Platoon Sgts would rotate leading PT and sometimes our Corporal would join in. But mostly we used them to go through the company kicking butt. Every once in a while I get the urge to go back in time and put on my DI Smokey Bear Hat.

"Front Leaning Rest Position MOVE. I want a straight line from you head to your boot heels. Keep your legs together TRAINEE. Do you understand me TRAINEE ? Keep your head up and look at me you BOLO."

177328209_4218010198230640_3423296337303285290_n.jpg
Hey I am in that picture, back row 4th from the right!!!!

This is a nation where "civil rights" leaders and workers should flock to. If any nation needs that it is Haiti. It has been this way all of my life and is one of the very few Caribbean countries I have stayed away from. I have not been to Cuba or Haiti but I have been about ever where else down there.

I was very uncomfortable working in Jamaica. I had to go into the interior of the nation and Kingston and my white skin was not welcome. If you stay in the resorts I think it is pretty safe but I was not on vacation. I was working Hurricane Gilbert.

If they were really interested in helping people, sure, and the world would be a different place. Sound bytes and photo ops are what they're about because they bring money in. They're the new carnival/circus with grifters running the show.

Since God met with Satan twice in the Bible it is understandable that they met more times than that before. As far as are there angels it would be safe to say yes since Satan was an angel and the bible speaks of archangels, angels, Cherubim's, Seraphims, etc. imo. No Biblical scholar myself but, if we are to take the Bible as God words and guidance then, angels exist.

Oh, and by the way, read 40 this morning.

Yes, sir. Either take it or leave it.

Keep on loving one another as brothers and sisters. Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it.
Hebrews 14

People don't always know when they have seen angels.

Anyone else shocked that things are off the rails again in Haiti? Didn't think so. Bad scene, and I genuinely feel bad for some of the people. I've been there. Many deserve a better fate than they'll ever receive.

That said, what an opportunity for Black Lives Matter. Haiti - now that's a place where you could elevate the worth of black lives pretty dramatically.
Not shocked. Always interesting that unrest explodes all over when Ds and Rinos run our country. Almost like it's related somehow

Sawnee - I like Maryland. I've lived here more years than any other place and raised my kids here. Everything from the beautiful Chesapeake Bay villages on the eastern shore to the Atlantic Coast resorts around Ocean City to the lovely and historic town of Annapolis with the Naval Academy to the striking Blue Ridge Mountains in western Maryland -- plus it is a quick subway ride into all the history and tourist attractions that DC has to offer, and a short drive to the historic areas in Baltimore around Fells Point which, unlike the rest of the city, are a terrific place to visit.

So why would it be 50 on a list of places to retire? Taxes, and an addiction to bureaucratic government meddling in life would be my guess.

This is a state where sales of liquor are restricted to government stores -- the state has a monopoly on buying booze other than beer and wine. How's that working? You have to buy booze in the narrow window of time that the stores are open -- and they lose millions of taxpayer dollars a year! Yes, with a total monopoly on an in-demand product, and the ability to set any price they want, the idiot bureaucrats running the stores manage to lose money.

So, beautiful state, many lovely people, but for anyone on a fixed income a constant battle with useless government.
We need to start giving bureaucrats credit where credit is due. They know EXACTLY what they're doing and are losing money on purpose because they CAN. No one puts an end to it, because we don't know how.

Maryland IS a beautiful state with many beautiful people. New Jersey is also. Minnesota too. Government is the problem, even as the founders warned us it would be.

Hey I am in that picture, back row 4th from the right!!!!
Were you in A-10-5? Do you remember the platoon you were in ? I was the DI in the 3rd Platoon.

A very tragic thing happened to our company when I was on CQ duty one night. Some of our cooks went for a ride into Radcliffe and did not sign out. One of the cooks, a real nice boy from Ireland, was killed. He came to America from Dublin and joined the army at age 19. He had a sister living in Boston, MA who was married to a soldier and she brought him over.

When he was killed the driver, chief cook, called me and asked me to sign them out. We had a company commander who was really strict on leaving the base and he insisted you sign out or you would be considered AWOL. This included all of the Cadre. He once said if a person was injured or killed while AWOL he would make sure the soldier or family did not get any benefits. I have no idea if he could so such a thing but this was one man you didn't want to test. So I signed their names with a return time of 12:00 midnight.

Last edited:
Beautiful!!!! Wouldn't want to be a sleep walker there!!! My question, how do they get the boats to the water?

All I can say is I'm exhausted looking at that picture. Visited Assissi in Italy a long time ago and getting up and down those hills when the road was blocked to vehicle traffic was tough. Carrying two sets of luggage and some heavy gear... I can see why the boats stay in the water

I read a fascinating article (magazine or maybe a book...don't recall) of really, really strange happenings during the Israeli wars with their neighbors. One in particular I remember was a battle where a small amount of Israelis were vastly outnumbered by Arabs, including heavy armor. Suddenly all the Arabs got up and started running...leaving their rifles, tanks, etc. Years later someone was interviewing one of the Arab soldiers about it....and he said that they saw the largest person/thing ever, standing behind the Israeli position. Scared them so much they all ran.
An angel? I think so.

Never forget that story. Just wish I could remember exactly where it was at.

A belated good morning/afternoon (since my clock say high noon) to all.

Morning folks. It is a cloudy 75.6°F here on it way to a muggy 89. I am still praying for Rain. Sawnee only sent me .03 inches yesterday.

Those lists of where to retire are always easily to poke holes in them; however, many folks retire to many different places for all sorts of reasons.

I retired to Kentucky because I was born and raised here and most of my family was here. The sales tax in Kentucky is lower than most and it does not apply to food or drugs. The income tax is low and does not apply to most retired folks until you get over 6 digits. Property tax is about 1/4th that of Florida, Texas and Tennessee. In March or April of 2000 U.S. New and World Report published a list of the state's taxes and what you would pay based on incomes of 50K, 75K, 100K, 150K and 200K (if I remember correctly). Based on that article Kentucky was the fourth less taxed state in the Union.

I can vouch for 55. Maryland has invented new ways to tax you. I lived there from February 1987 to June 1992 and can honestly say they got me for far more taxes than Kentucky, Indiana, North Carolina, Texas or Florida ever dreamed of. I did love Maryland but they do thing in strange ways. We were first moved there stores were not open on Sunday because they had a "blue" law. I never dreamed of a place like that.
Bert, I am filling up the truck now. LOL We had full sunshine about a half our ago and it suddenly started pouring the rain. A little black cloud was the culprit. The sun continued to shine and shine and the rain came falling from the sky. Now it is clearing up again.

I am always skeptical of these "retirement or best place to live" lists. A couple of weeks ago I saw one where New Jersey was listed as the best state to live in. New York was right behind them. Florida was about 48 or 49 and Kentucky a spot or two above us. So why do New Jersey folks move down here. And since when has a Floridian retired and moved to New Jersey. He hasn't unless Sheriff Grady Judd is after him. I wish they would.

I was struck by Maryland because I had no idea of their taxes issues. I saw it as a beautiful state with good crab cakes and pretty scenery. I know it has Baltimore but we all have a city in our state we would like to sell off or get rid of.

As far as Blue Laws I grew up with them. Publix was closed on Sunday as was every store down town. You might find a gas station open but most of those were closed also. The town would roll up the sidewalks as they say for Sunday, the day of the Lord.

Hey Cord: Thanks for that mention. I appreciate the kind thoughts.

I saw that documentary and thought it was terrific. Certainly as an adolescent my two heros were the two Ernies -- Ernest Hemingway and Ernie Pyle -- who were correspondents during WW2. Very, very different men with totally different styles. During my career I got to work where Pyle was based -- the Scripps Howard Washington Bureau -- and was surrounded by lots of his WW2 memorabilia. He wrote a famous column about a KIA named Captain Waskow which I recommend and can be found online. The original typewritten manuscript was hanging in that office in the 1990s when I worked there.

A really sad photo. He caught a machine gun bullet to the head on an island near Okinawa, six days after Roosevelt's death. I've read lot of Ernie's stuff, including his account of Waskow. We don't hear a lot about the campaign in Italy. It was an awful campaign. I had an uncle who served in Italy.

080203-ernie-pyle-hlg-1p.jpg

Were you in A-10-5? Do you remember the platoon you were in ? I was the DI in the 3rd Platoon.

A very tragic thing happened to our company when I was on CQ duty one night. Some of our cooks went for a ride into Radcliffe and did not sign out. One of the cooks, a real nice boy from Ireland, was killed. He came to America from Dublin and joined the army at age 19. He had a sister living in Boston, MA who was married to a soldier and she brought him over.

When he was killed the driver, chief cook, called me and asked me to sign them out. We had a company commander who was really strict on leaving the base and he insisted you sign our or you would be considered AWOL. This included all of the Cadre. He once said if a person was injured or killed while AWOL he would make sure the soldier or family did not get any benefits. I have no idea if he could so such a thing but this was one man you didn't want to test. So I signed their names with a return time of 12:00 midnight.
Sorry SC, I was just BS'ing! I was there from 2/7/70-3/27/70, I think I was in D-18-4. I just said that cause I can't even see the back row much less the 4th from the right!! Sorry won't do that again!!!!

Sorry SC, I was just BS'ing! I was there from 2/7/70-3/27/70, I think I was in D-18-4. I just said that cause I can't even see the back row much less the 4th from the right!! Sorry won't do that again!!!!
You had me going cord. I thought for a moment we might have crossed paths. By 1970 I was back in civilian life about 850 miles South of Fort Knox.

We need to start giving bureaucrats credit where credit is due. They know EXACTLY what they're doing and are losing money on purpose because they CAN. No one puts an end to it, because we don't know how.

Maryland IS a beautiful state with many beautiful people. New Jersey is also. Minnesota too. Government is the problem, even as the founders warned us it would be.
Bureaucrats and politicians are both on my poop list.

Went hiking a bit earlier. Drove over to Middlesboro for lunch take-out. Stopped by Lee's and grabbed gizzards. Delicious.

Plan on taking another hike here in a few while weather still nice. Storm clouds moving in a later.

In another life I'd have called you a Jerk.... But , no, not me any longer, I'd never call anyone a Jerk even though they may be my Brudder from anudder Mudder...A gizzard eating Jerk? Hmm. No not me, I'd never call you a Jerk.... 😁

As far as Blue Laws I grew up with them. Publix was closed on Sunday as was every store down town. You might find a gas station open but most of those were closed also. The town would roll up the sidewalks as they say for Sunday, the day of the Lord.
Same here in Ohio in my young days. Part (most) of me wishes we still had them. Why can't everything slow down/stop for one day a week? Now they don't even close completely for Christmas....can't wait to open back up even before the day's over to make some $$$$

The revoking of Blue Laws were much like most/all, Dem/lib doings today. Take an inch...then a foot...then a mile.
Remember the 'cry' back then that the older people couldn't get their scrips on a Sunday. We need to open the drug stores! Then it was...well they need gas to get there....so the gas stations opened. Then...but they many need food too. What if they're out of food! Shortly...everything was open.

In another life I'd have called you a Jerk.... But , no, not me any longer, I'd never call anyone a Jerk even though they may be my Brudder from anudder Mudder...A gizzard eating Jerk? Hmm. No not me, I'd never call you a Jerk.... 😁
I want to serve you some alligator gizzards!

I ain't never had gator gizzards, but I would eat them in our big gizzard eating contest! 😁

BBUK you are all right!

Went hiking a bit earlier. Drove over to Middlesboro for lunch take-out. Stopped by Lee's and grabbed gizzards. Delicious.

Plan on taking another hike here in a few while weather still nice. Storm clouds moving in a later.
Now I could sit down and eat with Austin anytime, anywhere. Lee's Gizzards are to die for. They are last meal worthy. Our closest Lee's is in Ocala. I drop by often, just for their gizzards.

day-451.jpg

Last edited:
He is a good man. If I ever get him down here he will be eating things he never heard of. I bet he would gave a gator gizzard a try, just for the fun of it.

He might even try an alligator gar and eat like a Seminole

iu
I draw the line at a gar. They are horrible. I know. I had one that had been pressured cooked.

I will eat one if I am starving, but until then I am with BBUK and the gizzards! :cool:

Hell it is worse than carp. Pressured cooked carp is nearly as good as canned salmon but gar is not GOOD.

A really sad photo. He caught a machine gun bullet to the head on an island near Okinawa, six days after Roosevelt's death. I've read lot of Ernie's stuff, including his account of Waskow. We don't hear a lot about the campaign in Italy. It was an awful campaign. I had an uncle who served in Italy.

080203-ernie-pyle-hlg-1p.jpg
I thought the part where he tried to enlist in WW1 but his parents wouldn't sign for him, but as soon as he turned 18 he did! I think I saw a drawing of him, where he was wounded in the leg, it had over 200 marked on it?

I draw the line at a gar. They are horrible. I know. I had one that had been pressured cooked.

I will eat one if I am starving, but until then I am with BBUK and the gizzards! :cool:

Hell it is worse than carp. Pressured cooked carp is nearly as good as canned salmon but gar is not GOOD.

I caught one of those once, not that large but a big one. I'd have had to waste that bugger if I knew he had a ....gizzard... I let him go...

Jan makes lamps out of whisky bottles for her craft shows and then makes an appropriate shade for it. I'd never heard of it, but we came across a Jesse James bottle of bourbon (made in Ca). The crossed revolvers reminded me of it as we were looking for an image to put on the shade. We found a picture of a 45 caliber revolver once owned by Jesse James. Several years ago, it sold at auction for 1.6 million dollars.

Yes they are terrible. Trash food personified. But the Seminoles love them. My grandpa would cut the line if he caught one. He wouldn't even bother "getting the thrill" of fighting with it on his line. Grandpa went fishing to get something for supper. Catch and release was not in his vocabulary.

I will pass with you on gar and eat a baloney sandwich. Fried

207102602_1904015546442893_7674929244221682287_n.jpg

I am listening to the radio and they are listing the best states to retire from 1 to 50. Maryland was 50 and I can't understand why. It seems that should be an ideal place to retire with the water, etc. The Top 3 are SEC states
1. Georgia
2. Florida
3. Tennessee

Bottom 3
48. Kansas
49. Minnesota
50. Maryland

There must be a reason Maryland is so low. Wages are great, weather good and there is the coast. Kansas and Minnesota are places I have no interest in going back to but Maryland is a puzzle to me.
After doing OSUT in Missouri, it would be #50 on my list. It was nothing but one BFR. My flight home from was messed up, so they said I could stay over in St. Louis, or fly on to Pittsburgh and stay there the night. I was off to Pennsylvania.

Good morning D, read 40 this morning.

Cloudy here in the Berg this morning, I hope the wind keeps blowing, drying the grass out so I can mow before it starts raining!!!!

Our preacher is doing a study, do Angels exist, very interesting. A couple weeks ago he talked about GOD and satan meeting, had never thought about it, but it's there twice in the Bible about them meeting !

I hope the D, has a great day and Prayers for the D!!!!!

Bureaucrats and politicians are both on my poop list.
About right (Bureaucrat=0) + (Politician=0) < 0 really smells. No doubt about it.
We all jerk in circles here in the D. It's natural for humans to follow the leader. Been doing it since time began.
tumblr_n4wqxyBd3o1qc4rz2o1_500.gif

Same here in Ohio in my young days. Part (most) of me wishes we still had them. Why can't everything slow down/stop for one day a week? Now they don't even close completely for Christmas....can't wait to open back up even before the day's over to make some $$$$

The revoking of Blue Laws were much like most/all, Dem/lib doings today. Take an inch...then a foot...then a mile.
Remember the 'cry' back then that the older people couldn't get their scrips on a Sunday. We need to open the drug stores! Then it was...well they need gas to get there....so the gas stations opened. Then...but they many need food too. What if they're out of food! Shortly...everything was open.
I remember Blue law discussions in my family. It wouldn't hurt after church . . . what about a man who works 6 days a week taking his son fishing to put food on the table for his family and neighbors.

Last edited:

Yeah, gar sucks. Tried down in FL a couple times. Not a fan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT