ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

chicken-w-powell-gizzards-are-back-the-tenders-tekaspete-tender-44406076.png

Thank something anyway...

A really sad photo. He caught a machine gun bullet to the head on an island near Okinawa, six days after Roosevelt's death. I've read lot of Ernie's stuff, including his account of Waskow. We don't hear a lot about the campaign in Italy. It was an awful campaign. I had an uncle who served in Italy.

080203-ernie-pyle-hlg-1p.jpg
Thanks for posting Chief. Ernie was so close to surviving everything from the Blitz in London to North Africa, to Sicily, to the Italian landings, to having the house he shared with other correspondents on Anzio Beach hit by an aerial bomb, to the D-Day landings and the hedgerow battles in France to the end of the Pacific War. It only takes one unlucky moment.

But what a legacy throughout America. When I was a young boy in a town of 900 in Kentucky of the 1960s - twenty years after WW2 - there was a local man who'd been mentioned in a favorable way in one of Ernie Pyle's dispatches. People still singled him out!

Thanks for posting Chief. Ernie was so close to surviving everything from the Blitz in London to North Africa, to Sicily, to the Italian landings, to having the house he shared with other correspondents on Anzio Beach hit by an aerial bomb, to the D-Day landings and the hedgerow battles in France to the end of the Pacific War. It only takes one unlucky moment.

But what a legacy throughout America. When I was a young boy in a town of 900 in Kentucky of the 1960s - twenty years after WW2 - there was a local man who'd been mentioned in a favorable way in one of Ernie Pyle's dispatches. People still singled him out!

Have you ever read Rick Atkinson's trilogy on WW2?

I like them better but it might just be the location. KFC is not very good down here. We also have Bojangles and they are my favorite.

But I pretty much like all fried chicken
The Church's chicken here went out of business. They sucked. The chicken was bland and tasteless. There were a couple of other chicken places here too including Golden chicken but, they died out too. Popeyes and KFC are the only ones to survive here.

The Church's chicken here went out of business. They sucked. The chicken was bland and tasteless. There were a couple of other chicken places here too including Golden chicken but, they died out too. Popeyes and KFC are the only ones to survive here.

I know what that Church's specialty must have been....

Last edited:
I like them better but it might just be the location. KFC is not very good down here. We also have Bojangles and they are my favorite.

But I pretty much like all fried chicken

The downfall of KFC is one of the great disappointments of my lifetime. They tell me there are still some individual stores that are still good but I have not found one in many years. I get up the nerve to try again every couple of years and every time I say never again. KFC once sued the Colonel for badmouthing their food. Youtube has many exposes of the horrors of their food and operations

Speaking of fried chicken....the Mrs wanted some tonight so we went to a small town in Western Ohio to a restaurant that is known for their fried chicken. Probably my all-time favorite chicken place. Kind of a German restaurant in a German town...but the chicken is great. They used to also make their own brewed beer but stopped doing that years ago, but still have their brand that is now brewed by someone in another town. Restaurant has been there forever...maybe the '30s.
804_11019912.jpg
1a19243b5364d192c887c22eda623781.jpg

Yes I have, Chief. Really terrific work. Especially the middle volume on Italy - my favorite by far. I need to read that again soon.
That volume was the reason that led me to comment on what a horrible campaign that was.

Ian W. Toll has done a comparable trilogy on the war in the Pacific. Have you read those?

I still read a lot of WW2 history. I dabble some on Korea and Vietnam. I like narrative history. My short term memory is pretty much shot so I don't remember much of what I read anymore. I do it for the pleasure of the moment I am reading it

Last edited:
That volume was the reason that led me to comment on what a horrible campaign that was.

Ian W. Toll has done a comparable trilogy on the war in the Pacific. Have you read those?

I still read a lot of WW2 history. I dabble some on Korea and Vietnam. I like narrative history. My short term memory is pretty much shot so I don't remember much of what I read anymore. I do it for the pleasure of the moment I am reading it
I will give you a little unwritten history of Viet Nam. I was assistant ncoic of security at Tan My LORAN station near the village ofTan My. Our planes and ships used it for radar navigation. When the top man was gone, I was in charge. We had some locals doing menial work on base. Encluded was a sweet teenage girl named Bien who I spoke to every day. My job was to protect people and equipment. I was concerned about non military working on base, but it was set up before I got there by people above my pay grade, so I kept quiet. One night the Viet Cong raided the village and killed all those who worked for us to set an example, encluding a sweet innocent teen age girl. This has haunted me every day of my life for the last 50 years.

I will give you a little unwritten history of Viet Nam. I was assistant ncoic of security at Tan My LORAN station near the village ofTan My. Our planes and ships used it for radar navigation. When the top man was gone, I was in charge. We had some locals doing menial work on base. Encluded was a sweet teenage girl named Bien who I spoke to every day. My job was to protect people and equipment. I was concerned about non military working on base, but it was set up before I got there by people above my pay grade, so I kept quiet. One night the Viet Cong raided the village and killed all those who worked for us to set an example, encluding a sweet innocent teen age girl. This has haunted me every day of my life for the last 50 years.

This was Colonel Kurtz's point In Apocalypse Now. You could not defeat an enemy who had the will to do horrible things like that but you're not willing to do those horrible things as well. We did horrible things like that during WW2 (indiscriminate bombings of civilians, etc). We have not been willing to do that since then without punishing those who have done so. Obama, for instance, would not allow bombing ISIS oil storage tanks because of the pollution it would cause. Perhaps that is the reason we haven't conclusively won a war since WW2?

Chief - Ive heard of the Toll books but haven’t read them. On my list.

Eric Bergerud’s books on the Pacific War are worth reading - Touched by Fire on the ground war and Fire in the Sky on the air war. And John Toland’s The Rising Sun is still a classic, as is Eugene Sledge’s memoir “With the Old Breed.”

Last edited:
Chief - Ive heard of the Toll books but haven’t read them. On my list.

Eric Bergerud’s books on the Pacific War are worth reading - Touched by Fire on the ground war and Fire in the Sky on the air war. And John Toland’s Empire of the Sun is still a classic, as is Eugene Sledge’s memoir “With the Old Breed.”

I've read Old Breed and A Helmet for My Pillow - after watching The Pacific series of course. I've read some of Toland's stuff as well.

Toll's trilogy is very similar in writing style as Atkinson's.

The downfall of KFC is one of the great disappointments of my lifetime. They tell me there are still some individual stores that are still good but I have not found one in many years. I get up the nerve to try again every couple of years and every time I say never again. KFC once sued the Colonel for badmouthing their food. Youtube has many exposes of the horrors of their food and operations

I am with you Sir but the KFC near us in Occoquan has been amazing, I am still not sold but they have a couple employee's who make that joint. We stopped there last week and a lady took our order and it gave me pause as the guy that is normally there was on it. Food was great for every trip we have made to that particular restaurant. The last one we actually liked was in E'Town, Ky. They had a buffet and man it was a good feed.

Speaking of fried chicken....the Mrs wanted some tonight so we went to a small town in Western Ohio to a restaurant that is known for their fried chicken. Probably my all-time favorite chicken place. Kind of a German restaurant in a German town...but the chicken is great. They used to also make their own brewed beer but stopped doing that years ago, but still have their brand that is now brewed by someone in another town. Restaurant has been there forever...maybe the '30s.
804_11019912.jpg
1a19243b5364d192c887c22eda623781.jpg

I had to enlarge that picture to be sure but you passed. (Sir...)

Bless you Sir.. God Bless you...

This was Colonel Kurtz's point In Apocalypse Now. You could not defeat an enemy who had the will to do horrible things like that but you're not willing to do those horrible things as well. We did horrible things like that during WW2 (indiscriminate bombings of civilians, etc). We have not been willing to do that since then without punishing those who have done so. Obama, for instance, would not allow bombing ISIS oil storage tanks because of the pollution it would cause. Perhaps that is the reason we haven't conclusively won a war since WW2?

The Military's job is to kill people and break things. It is great not to but they are/ were (Can't speak for now.) trained to do a job....

Last edited:
Golden Chick near me in ATX. Live over 23 years in North Austin and have not yet dined there.

I grabbed KFC tonight for me, daughter, granddaughter and ex from Middlesboro outlet, corner 25E and Cumberland. Got an 8 pc Original with cole slaw, mashed potatoes, mac and cheese and gravy. $22.95.

Not bad. Breasts were huge.

I am with you Sir but the KFC near us in Occoquan has been amazing, I am still not sold but they have a couple employee's who make that joint. We stopped there last week and a lady took our order and it gave me pause as the guy that is normally there was on it. Food was great for every trip we have made to that particular restaurant. The last one we actually liked was in E'Town, Ky. They had a buffet and man it was a good feed.
KFC and Lee's in Middlesboro not yet serving buffet. Can hardly wait until both are back to normal. Hopefully November when I return.

The one in Lawton OK is one of the best I have found in years and the people working there are some of the better service providers around. I have never commented to the headquarters of any business in the past but after several times over the past year or so buying food there I received the same service and quality of food so, I contacted their headquarters with praises for that particular restaurant. The manager is a very upbeat lady and has nothing but cheerful greetings whenever I went in.

Last edited:
I grabbed KFC tonight for me, daughter, granddaughter and ex from Middlesboro outlet, corner 25E and Cumberland. Got an 8 pc Original with cole slaw, mashed potatoes, mac and cheese and gravy. $22.95.

Not bad. Breasts were huge.
Well, that's exciting.

Oops! I thought you were posting about the food service provider. ;)

Got an 8 pc Original with cole slaw, mashed potatoes, mac and cheese and gravy. $22.95.
Wow...23 bucks! KFC is OK but I don't think they're worth that....but prices...they be a going up.
Seems that KFC varies all over the map as to taste/quality and size portion. Most KFCs that I've been to the last number of years, the pieces are very small. Of course, most fryer chickens are what....about 4 months before they're processed?

The locally owned restaurant we went to last night, the chicken dinner is $13 ($11 for Senior)....5 pieces, fries, salad or cole slaw, and all the bread you want (dark pumpernickel rye or light rye...fresh baked).

Before I get involved in something here in a minute....Y'all have a good Friday.

Wow...23 bucks! KFC is OK but I don't think they're worth that....but prices...they be a going up.
Seems that KFC varies all over the map as to taste/quality and size portion. Most KFCs that I've been to the last number of years, the pieces are very small. Of course, most fryer chickens are what....about 4 months before they're processed?

The locally owned restaurant we went to last night, the chicken dinner is $13 ($11 for Senior)....5 pieces, fries, salad or cole slaw, and all the bread you want (dark pumpernickel rye or light rye...fresh baked).

Before I get involved in something here in a minute....Y'all have a good Friday.

I enjoy that dark bread. Bill Millers BBQ up ATX's way has the best dark bread and butter, I gorge on that bread when we visit that joint. Good food all the way around at that place.

Oh, May God's wisdom guide you. Seek God in all circumstances and he will direct you. God Bless you all...

'On further review' to my previous post re:KFC price.....guess my dinner isn't as cheap as I originally thought (but probably better). Had to buy 2 .... $22. Total of 2 more pieces than Austin's KFC, but his probably had 'family size' sides and 3 sides instead of 2.

Think I'll stop now analyzing this cost/price/ratio. The Mrs always says I analyze things (especially costs of things) w a y too much.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT