ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Sadly on our visit to NYC, we didn't get to see the Brooklyn Bridge. We were planning on going back this year, and seeing it, but decided to postpone it due to the uptick in crime.
Well, I hope you get the chance after things settle down, assuming they do. My wife's extended family is from up that way so we get there fairly often. I'd never want to stay more than a week, but no denying NYC is a fascinating place. I've crossed the Brooklyn Bridge by car. It's a terrific traffic mess most of the time, but is the fastest way coming from DC to get to where her favorite cousin lives.

AT&T Lilly...such a cutie...
iu

iu

Well, I hope you get the chance after things settle down, assuming they do. My wife's extended family is from up that way so we get there fairly often. I'd never want to stay more than a week, but no denying NYC is a fascinating place. I've crossed the Brooklyn Bridge by car. It's a terrific traffic mess most of the time, but is the fastest way coming from DC to get to where her favorite cousin lives.
When we went over to see the Empire State Building, they had 6th Avenue blocked off with a crowd gathered on both sides. Curious as to what was going on, we asked someone and they told us it was for a Korean Parade. We probably stayed close to an hour watching it. My youngest daughter fully enjoyed it.

5frp90.jpg

Good morning D, read 40 this morning.

Cloudy here in the Berg this morning, I hope the wind keeps blowing, drying the grass out so I can mow before it starts raining!!!!

Our preacher is doing a study, do Angels exist, very interesting. A couple weeks ago he talked about GOD and satan meeting, had never thought about it, but it's there twice in the Bible about them meeting !

I hope the D, has a great day and Prayers for the D!!!!!

Good morning D

What a difference a day makes. Beautiful this morning with cool temperatures and sunshine today.

We are a pleasant 72° with the suns rising. Today will bring our normal pattern of scattered thunderstorms and sunshine as we reach 82°. Winds are a mild 4 MPH. Today I will start putting things back in their place that I moved to protect them. All in all it was a very mild "storm" and brought us some welcomed rain. Unfortunately one person was killed in Jacksonville by a fallen tree. Since little to no power was lost it reduced the need for generators. Over the past several years improper use of generators has led to more deaths than the storm itself.

Read Jeremiah 40. They are celebrating down in Tampa as the Bolts won back to back Stanley Cups. Trust all have a nice day.

Last edited:
Sawnee, Haiti has some lovely people, and a weird, colorful culture that fascinated me. But it is incredibly violent. I was there in 1994 and witnessed people killed with everything from grenades to machetes -- and I mean eye-witnessed.

This photo of me and a couple other journalists trying to help a Haitian protester gunned down by thugs with M1-Garands ran in Newsweek that fall (that's me in the vest and blue shirt on the right...he died before we could load him in our SUV.)
55, I thought about you last night, I watched a documentary about Ernest Hemingway, very interesting, talked about him and his experience in WW1, his career in journalism and his writings. It also talked about the story or book he wrote "Up in Michigan" didn't go over well at that time!!!!

55, I thought about you last night, I watched a documentary about Ernest Hemingway, very interesting, talked about him and his experience in WW1, his career in journalism and his writings. It also talked about the story or book he wrote "Up in Michigan" didn't go over well at that time!!!!
Hey Cord: Thanks for that mention. I appreciate the kind thoughts.

I saw that documentary and thought it was terrific. Certainly as an adolescent my two heros were the two Ernies -- Ernest Hemingway and Ernie Pyle -- who were correspondents during WW2. Very, very different men with totally different styles. During my career I got to work where Pyle was based -- the Scripps Howard Washington Bureau -- and was surrounded by lots of his WW2 memorabilia. He wrote a famous column about a KIA named Captain Waskow which I recommend and can be found online. The original typewritten manuscript was hanging in that office in the 1990s when I worked there.

The Big Blue Heron has been joined by his white egret friends. When we have a nice rain it provides a feeding grounds for our feathered friends. The Blue Heron is a regular visitor during the summer months.

enhance
We have a BB Heron (At least I think it's same one. Never see two.) that regularly visits the pond up the street. Saw it last evening.

Good morning D-League. It's currently 70° and humid. This afternoon will bring more of same, a mix of sun and clouds, with thunderstorms possible and a high of 82°.

Everyone stay safe out there today.

5c3e304a7a4d1.image.jpg
Manarola in the Cinque Terre. Have stayed in two of the five towns, but not there. All good, but think Vernazza is the best.

Beautiful!!!! Wouldn't want to be a sleep walker there!!! My question, how do they get the boats to the water?
You can't see it behind the bush in lower left, but there's a pathway that winds first to the left, & then lower back right in front of the wall the boats sit above, down to the inlet of water that's visible between the rocks.

I am listening to the radio and they are listing the best states to retire from 1 to 50. Maryland was 50 and I can't understand why. It seems that should be an ideal place to retire with the water, etc. The Top 3 are SEC states
1. Georgia
2. Florida
3. Tennessee

Bottom 3
48. Kansas
49. Minnesota
50. Maryland

There must be a reason Maryland is so low. Wages are great, weather good and there is the coast. Kansas and Minnesota are places I have no interest in going back to but Maryland is a puzzle to me.

I am listening to the radio and they are listing the best states to retire from 1 to 50. Maryland was 50 and I can't understand why. It seems that should be an ideal place to retire with the water, etc. The Top 3 are SEC states
1. Georgia
2. Florida
3. Tennessee

Bottom 3
48. Kansas
49. Minnesota
50. Maryland

There must be a reason Maryland is so low. Wages are great, weather good and there is the coast. Kansas and Minnesota are places I have no interest in going back to but Maryland is a puzzle to me.
Sawnee - I like Maryland. I've lived here more years than any other place and raised my kids here. Everything from the beautiful Chesapeake Bay villages on the eastern shore to the Atlantic Coast resorts around Ocean City to the lovely and historic town of Annapolis with the Naval Academy to the striking Blue Ridge Mountains in western Maryland -- plus it is a quick subway ride into all the history and tourist attractions that DC has to offer, and a short drive to the historic areas in Baltimore around Fells Point which, unlike the rest of the city, are a terrific place to visit.

So why would it be 50 on a list of places to retire? Taxes, and an addiction to bureaucratic government meddling in life would be my guess.

This is a state where sales of liquor are restricted to government stores -- the state has a monopoly on buying booze other than beer and wine. How's that working? You have to buy booze in the narrow window of time that the stores are open -- and they lose millions of taxpayer dollars a year! Yes, with a total monopoly on an in-demand product, and the ability to set any price they want, the idiot bureaucrats running the stores manage to lose money.

So, beautiful state, many lovely people, but for anyone on a fixed income a constant battle with useless government.

Sawnee - I like Maryland. I've lived here more years than any other place and raised my kids here. Everything from the beautiful Chesapeake Bay villages on the eastern shore to the Atlantic Coast resorts around Ocean City to the lovely and historic town of Annapolis with the Naval Academy to the striking Blue Ridge Mountains in western Maryland -- plus it is a quick subway ride into all the history and tourist attractions that DC has to offer, and a short drive to the historic areas in Baltimore around Fells Point which, unlike the rest of the city, are a terrific place to visit.

So why would it be 50 on a list of places to retire? Taxes, and an addiction to bureaucratic government meddling in life would be my guess.

This is a state where sales of liquor are restricted to government stores -- the state has a monopoly on buying booze other than beer and wine. How's that working? You have to buy booze in the narrow window of time that the stores are open -- and they lose millions of taxpayer dollars a year! Yes, with a total monopoly on an in-demand product, and the ability to set any price they want, the idiot bureaucrats running the stores manage to lose money.

So, beautiful state, many lovely people, but for anyone on a fixed income a constant battle with useless government.

GP

We live in Northern VA...(Real close to you.) I have the same sentiments here. We love the amenities. the other stuff.... Not so much at all... A real disappointment for what could be a beautiful place to live... except for the ocean. We'd like to be closer...

My Tanker Buddy strikes again...

214402873_284611783442347_8706797158938002728_n.jpg

Jeff Norrup updated the group cover photo in Basic Training at Ft. Knox, KY

Wow, where did you find this. I went up and down those hills a couple of times a month marching troops. I was the 3rd Platoon Sgt for A-10-5. I found this picture of my Company taken in September 1966 on the link. I was a DI in A-10-5 from August 1966 to May 1968.

This looks like First Sgt Shaver leading PT. The Platoon Sgts would rotate leading PT and sometimes our Corporal would join in. But mostly we used them to go through the company kicking butt. Every once in a while I get the urge to go back in time and put on my DI Smokey Bear Hat.

"Front Leaning Rest Position MOVE. I want a straight line from you head to your boot heels. Keep your legs together TRAINEE. Do you understand me TRAINEE ? Keep your head up and look at me you BOLO."

177328209_4218010198230640_3423296337303285290_n.jpg

Good morning from Shawanee, TN. Currently 69°F and cloudy. Expecting more rain later today. We should top out around 82°F. Nice.

Watched hockey last night. Happy Bolts beat the Habs.

Helped trim some bushes yesterday and around here. Daughter gets off work at 3 pm today. We'll link up with granddaughter after her dad brings her back.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

8d945014edb6beee62d897eeea6fc452.jpg

Wow, where did you find this. I went up and down those hills a couple of times a month marching troops. I was the 3rd Platoon Sgt for A-10-5. I found this picture of my Company taken in September 1966 on the link. I was a DI in A-10-5 from August 1966 to May 1968.

This looks like First Sgt Shaver leading PT. The Platoon Sgts would rotate leading PT and sometimes our Corporal would join in. But mostly we used them to go through the company kicking butt. Every once in a while I get the urge to go back in time and put on my DI Smokey Bear Hat.

"Front Leaning Rest Position MOVE. I want a straight line from you head to your boot heels. Keep your legs together TRAINEE. Do you understand me TRAINEE ? Keep your head up and look at me you BOLO."

177328209_4218010198230640_3423296337303285290_n.jpg

My Tanker Buddy posted it on FB. (We became good friends when we both lived near each other. I lived in Radcliff and he lived in Vine Grove (Meade County). We went to church together. He just moved to Arizona from Meade County.) I snatched it. I walked that a few times to but mostly drove it heading to some fishing spots.

Note: If you click that link under the picture it will take you to the FB site and you can scroll down for a lot of other pictures and posts.

My Tanker Buddy posted it on FB. (We became good friends when we both lived near each other. I lived in Radcliff and he lived in Vine Grove (Meade County). We went to church together. He just moved to Arizona from Meade County.) I snatched it. I walked that a few times to but mostly drove it heading to some fishing spots.

Note: If you click that link it will take you to the FB site and you can scroll down for a lot of other pictures and posts.
Thanks, I went to facebook and made a request to join. I am hoping I can hook up with a few old buddies. I have maintained friendship with a fellow DI from St Johns, Michigan over the years. We met for many years at Daytona for the races and our wives would join us. His family was in the automobile business and sponsored NASCAR events.

Little did I know when I met him he was a millionaire. He acted like the rest of us poor boys LOL. I was invited to his ranch in Wyoming many times but could never make it work. I hope to find a few other boys on that facebook page. I know a lot of the A-10-5 boys I knew are dead by now but maybe a few of us remain

Thanks, I went to facebook and made a request to join. I am hoping I can hook up with a few old buddies. I have maintained friendship with a fellow DI from St Johns, Michigan over the years. We met for many years at Daytona for the races and our wives would join us. His family was in the automobile business and sponsored NASCAR events.

Little did I know when I met him he was a millionaire. He acted like the rest of us poor boys LOL. I was invited to his ranch in Wyoming many times but could never make it work. I hope to find a few other boys on that facebook page. I know a lot of the A-10-5 boys I knew are dead by now but maybe a few of us remain

Sir, my day is MADE! Thank you!

You bet. Let us know exactly what time and what sounds good to go with the slaw!
Depart here around 11 am EST. Expecting arrival roughly 2 pm CST Saturday, 7/10 in Smiths Grove. Whatever y'all think goes good with slaw sounds great with me.

Look forward to visiting y'all again.

Good morning D, read 40 this morning.

Cloudy here in the Berg this morning, I hope the wind keeps blowing, drying the grass out so I can mow before it starts raining!!!!

Our preacher is doing a study, do Angels exist, very interesting. A couple weeks ago he talked about GOD and satan meeting, had never thought about it, but it's there twice in the Bible about them meeting !

I hope the D, has a great day and Prayers for the D!!!!!
I would not touch that as I am not a Bible scholar. But I have never seen an angel.

Morning folks. It is a cloudy 75.6°F here on it way to a muggy 89. I am still praying for Rain. Sawnee only sent me .03 inches yesterday.

1. Georgia
2. Florida
3. Tennessee

Bottom 3
48. Kansas
49. Minnesota
50. Maryland

Those lists of where to retire are always easily to poke holes in them; however, many folks retire to many different places for all sorts of reasons.

I retired to Kentucky because I was born and raised here and most of my family was here. The sales tax in Kentucky is lower than most and it does not apply to food or drugs. The income tax is low and does not apply to most retired folks until you get over 6 digits. Property tax is about 1/4th that of Florida, Texas and Tennessee. In March or April of 2000 U.S. New and World Report published a list of the state's taxes and what you would pay based on incomes of 50K, 75K, 100K, 150K and 200K (if I remember correctly). Based on that article Kentucky was the fourth less taxed state in the Union.

I can vouch for 55. Maryland has invented new ways to tax you. I lived there from February 1987 to June 1992 and can honestly say they got me for far more taxes than Kentucky, Indiana, North Carolina, Texas or Florida ever dreamed of. I did love Maryland but they do thing in strange ways. We were first moved there stores were not open on Sunday because they had a "blue" law. I never dreamed of a place like that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT