ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Yeah, you can call that work!

213862067_4706354996046149_7378670609872744289_n.jpg

Good morning D-League. Warming up in the east. We’re going to see mid 90s again.

My walk this morning had taken me on a path behind one of those suburban chicken coops cropping up near cities. Then about five minutes later I noted a lean red Fox darting through the trees heading in that direction. It’s possible an age-old drama is playing out.

I hope it is a peaceful day for the D-League.

Good Very Wet and getting Wetter Wednesday Morning

Our temperature right now is 71° with Winds East at 39 mph. We are still in "Hurricane Warning Mode" but I seriously doubt if it comes to shore as a hurricane. It is still dark outside but when the morning breaks I will check for any damages during the night. I imagine coastal flooding will be the big issue. The lake and marshes behind my house should protect me from that.

We still have electricity so that is a good sign. I will leave you with this, go get another cup of coffee and have my devotions.

enhance

Seems a bit more humid this morning at 71 in the Buckeye State. Heading up to the mid to high 80s.

Glad to hear that things seem to be OK @Sawnee Cat. In reading the weather updates it seems to be breaking up and like most times, the pre-storm buildup in the media didn't match the actual events. I never remember a weather event being a major/top news story when I was a kid. Now, whether (ha...play on words) it be hurricane, t'storms, snow, rain.....its nonstop with the media.

Have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do today...and that's a good feeling. But....I'll find something.

Y'all have a good 'hump day'.

Seems a bit more humid this morning at 71 in the Buckeye State. Heading up to the mid to high 80s.

Glad to hear that things seem to be OK @Sawnee Cat. In reading the weather updates it seems to be breaking up and like most times, the pre-storm buildup in the media didn't match the actual events. I never remember a weather event being a major/top news story when I was a kid. Now, whether (ha...play on words) it be hurricane, t'storms, snow, rain.....its nonstop with the media.

Have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do today...and that's a good feeling. But....I'll find something.

Y'all have a good 'hump day'.
The National Weather TV networks really do hype a storm and exaggerate probably to increase viewership. I don't watch them. Elsa is breaking up off the coast in my area and is headed for land around Cedar Key.

When preparing for a storm we always tune into a local station. Bay News 9 covers up to our area and they are good and most of all truthful and factual with reporters in all locations.

We can always use rain and this one seems to be bringing lots of that. But if winds can remain in the Tropical Storm range all is OK. Since I woke up winds have decreased to the 30's. I don't have any trees down. We have had 8" inches of rain and expect another 4" today. That will saturate the ground which makes trees more vulnerable. My land can handle 12" with no problem so I do not expect flooding or downed trees.

Good morning from Shawanee, TN. Currently 67°F, humid and partly cloudy. Slight chance for showers. Today's high may reach 81°F.

Visited Enterprise car rental yesterday. 1 car available, but I declined because too small. Neighbor and I fixed the rental car. Dust shield on left rear brake caliper somehow got bent in, thus making noise. Neighbor bent the shield out through the mag wheel. No more noise.

#RedneckEngineering

Plan on grabbing breakfast in a few.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

befunky-design5.jpg

Good morning from Shawanee, TN. Currently 67°F, humid and partly cloudy. Slight chance for showers. Today's high may reach 81°F.

Visited Enterprise car rental yesterday. 1 car available, but I declined because too small. Neighbor and I fixed the rental car. Dust shield on left rear brake caliper somehow got bent in, thus making noise. Neighbor bent the shield out through the mag wheel. No more noise.

#RedneckEngineering

Plan on grabbing breakfast in a few.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

befunky-design5.jpg
Sounds like to me yawl put a presidential solution on it!!!!!

The games start way too late for me, but I was glad for Devin Booker to see the Suns win game one of the NBA finals. I was an NBA fan roughly from Oscar Robertson and the Cincinnati Royals through the Bird-Magic era, then it starting getting less and less interesting for me.

When the local Wizards signed John Wall, my son was about ten -- the perfect age for a boy to enjoy the NBA. I started taking him 2-3 times a year to see Wall match up with other Cats in the NBA. We saw just about everybody from Kentucky's teams in the League over the years, and it was great fun for my son. In the early Wall era Kentucky fans wearing UK gear would flood the Wizards games, and we'd walk around at half time just high-fiving fellow Wildcats.

That has faded away now. We still grab a game or two a year, but my interest is down to rooting for one or another ex-Cat to get a ring every season.

The NBA has lost a lot of viewers over the past decades. They are doing little to get fans back. If it were not for China money they would really be in trouble.

Interesting enough around here the Tampa Bay Bolts NHL team is much more popular than college or NBA basketball. They are going for their second straight Cup tonight

14408510592_8bb8f6a7fb_b.jpg

iu

Howdy D-League folks. It is 78.1°F here and supposed to be on it way to a humid 83° with a 60% chance of rain. I am disappointed in @Sawnee Cat not sending his more than adequate rain up this way! 😁 I think he is hording it.

It is good that the winds are down Sawnee. Plus I sure enjoyed the conversation yesterday.

Austin is one of those guys that take matters into hand. If the mountain will not come to Muhammad then Muhammad must go to the mountain.

You all have a good day. It is filter changing day for me. Filters in the heating/cooling system and the fridge.

Howdy D-League folks. It is 78.1°F here and supposed to be on it way to a humid 83° with a 60% chance of rain. I am disappointed in @Sawnee Cat not sending his more than adequate rain up this way! 😁 I think he is hording it.

It is good that the winds are down Sawnee. Plus I sure enjoyed the conversation yesterday.
Well me and my buddy, a blue heron, were out back checking the lake a few minutes ago and we can spare a little water. Bring a bucket or better yet a water truck. We have 10 inches and counting, should make it to 12 inches by this afternoon.

A walk around my property shows no storm damage so my little preparation paid off. I am thankful I did not go into full hurricane mode because that takes a lot of work. I have a lot of glass and openings to cover.

The rain will keep the grass green.

enhance

The Big Blue Heron has been joined by his white egret friends. When we have a nice rain it provides a feeding grounds for our feathered friends. The Blue Heron is a regular visitor during the summer months.

enhance

Glad all seems to have "weathered the storm". I am thankful. Do you get any of those four-legged walking long-tailed, big-toothed gizzards, I mean lizards coming into your domain (Property)? (Just curious.)

Sigourney Weaver wouldn't do Aliens 3 if there were guns in the picture. Go figure. I think she was a co-producer.

Seriously? Had never heard that. Wondered what happened to her after these movies because I don't remember seeing her much. She sure doesn't mind picking one up in a role now. Her and Liam Neeson and their gun hypocrisy. Tired of all of it

The Big Blue Heron has been joined by his white egret friends. When we have a nice rain it provides a feeding grounds for our feathered friends. The Blue Heron is a regular visitor during the summer months.

enhance
I had a sat dish to watch Kentucky games in Jacksonville and it had to be covered up so it would not look like a large dish, so it was "undercover" and looked like a patio umbrella. My blue heron loved to sit on top of it and poop. I had to clean it ever day or so. He would not even fly off when I went running at him. I guess he felt he was too elevated for me to hurt him.

I had a sat dish to watch Kentucky games in Jacksonville and it had to be covered up so it would not look like a large dish, so it was "undercover" and looked like a patio umbrella. My blue heron loved to sit on top of it and poop. I had to clean it ever day or so. He would not even fly off when I went running at him. I guess he felt he was too elevated for me to hurt him.
Bert, for some reason I can see you "judging" this one during your times in Jacksonville. It was held down at the Gulf station. LOL

206039699_1273072596441556_8685644425964480275_n.jpg

Good morning D-League. It's currently 80° and overcast. This is will bring a mix of sun and clouds, with a thunderstorm possible, and a high of 88°.

Everyone stay safe out there today.

Brooklyn-Bridge-is-NYCs-iconic-steel-masterpiece.jpg
The Brooklyn Bridge's older, smaller brother in Cincinnati, the Roebling Bridge. John Roebling built both, the one in Cincy is roughly two-thirds as long.

The Brooklyn Bridge's older, smaller brother in Cincinnati, the Roebling Bridge. John Roebling built both, the one in Cincy is roughly two-thirds as long.
Yep. BB is also double-arched & 3-4 lanes in each direction vs. Roebling's 2 lanes total. And much higher over the water to allow steamships under it. Mass of the BB piers might be 10x those of RB. RB is cool nonetheless.

Growing up, no one called it the Roebling Bridge but just the Suspension Bridge. I still do. Some time (1990?), somewhere people got woke on the Roebling name. Suppose it was for tourism purposes. But when you look at RB, sure looks like the prototype for BB.

RB would have been completed several years earlier than it was in 1867 if not for Civil War. There are Civil War photos of the piers only just sitting there in the water/on shore. In a short time, a streetcar company started running cars (horse-drawn initially) between Cincy & Covington on it, then between Covington & Newport on a Licking RIver bridge. Continued till early 1950's (Did switch to electric.) . One grandpa was a conductor from early 1900's till late 1930's. So his family with my Mom always lived within a few blocks of the streetcar barn in Newport so it was simple for him to walk to work. There were lines out to Ft. Mitchell, Ludlow & Latonia Race Track in Kenton County & to Ft. Thomas & Dayton in Campbell. They were each around 3 miles except Ft. Mitchell might have been 5.

Oh, and I've walked across both.

Good morning D, read 39.
I've caught up. And watched the movie too.

enhance
Those white mud sucking ditch pigeons look very ibisey. The dark feathered Glossies here are better than your worthless white ones.

Glad all seems to have "weathered the storm". I am thankful. Do you get any of those four-legged walking long-tailed, big-toothed gizzards, I mean lizards coming into your domain (Property)? (Just curious.)

Gators are indeed Big-tooth gizzard lizards and like their glorified feathered contemporaries, swaller rocks into them to grind up items they gulp down.

Last edited:
No, but I tell you what, when those biguns do come around let's call Chief Jim Billie and his boy Micco to take care of them. Big Alligator

Last edited:
Anyone else shocked that things are off the rails again in Haiti? Didn't think so. Bad scene, and I genuinely feel bad for some of the people. I've been there. Many deserve a better fate than they'll ever receive.

That said, what an opportunity for Black Lives Matter. Haiti - now that's a place where you could elevate the worth of black lives pretty dramatically.

Anyone else shocked that things are off the rails again in Haiti? Didn't think so. Bad scene, and I genuinely feel bad for some of the people. I've been there. Many deserve a better fate than they'll ever receive.

That said, what an opportunity for Black Lives Matter. Haiti - now that's a place where you could elevate the worth of black lives pretty dramatically.
This is a nation where "civil rights" leaders and workers should flock to. If any nation needs that it is Haiti. It has been this way all of my life and is one of the very few Caribbean countries I have stayed away from. I have not been to Cuba or Haiti but I have been about ever where else down there.

I was very uncomfortable working in Jamaica. I had to go into the interior of the nation and Kingston and my white skin was not welcome. If you stay in the resorts I think it is pretty safe but I was not on vacation. I was working Hurricane Gilbert.

This is a nation where "civil rights" leaders and workers should flock to. If any nation needs that it is Haiti. It has been this way all of my life and is one of the very few Caribbean countries I have stayed away from. I have not been to Cuba or Haiti but I have been about ever where else down there.

I was very uncomfortable working in Jamaica. I had to go into the interior of the nation and Kingston and my white skin was not welcome. If you stay in the resorts I think it is pretty safe but I was not on vacation. I was working Hurricane Gilbert.
Sawnee, Haiti has some lovely people, and a weird, colorful culture that fascinated me. But it is incredibly violent. I was there in 1994 and witnessed people killed with everything from grenades to machetes -- and I mean eye-witnessed.

This photo of me and a couple other journalists trying to help a Haitian protester gunned down by thugs with M1-Garands ran in Newsweek that fall (that's me in the vest and blue shirt on the right...he died before we could load him in our SUV.)

Cool story. arrogant knucklehead becomes a hero.

when Smith was notified that he was awarded the Medal of Honor, he was on KP duty as a punishment. Nothing could be more illustrative of his military career.”

Sadly on our visit to NYC, we didn't get to see the Brooklyn Bridge. We were planning on going back this year, and seeing it, but decided to postpone it due to the uptick in crime.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT