ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Last year my 80 year old cousin did 23&me and ended up with a sister. A sister he did not know existed. She was born in South Carolina about 6 months after their father moved the family to Atlanta, GA. I wonder if he even knew he had another daughter She contacted my cousin and broke the news. Their father had died in 1988 and of course she was not aware of that having never seen him.

I am not sure they are going to get together but it would be interesting. She is still in South Carolina and my cousin lives in Tennessee. She is now 78 years old and her mother never told her she was illegitimate. South Carolina in 1943 was busy with Navy boys which shows you never can tell. A lot of action during WWII did not occur on the battlefield or high seas. .
When my biological father who left us when I was 7 died last October he was 84 and I had never seen him since he left but, my brothers and sister did and went to the funeral and found out we had another brother and sister. Apparently according to my brothers and sister the other brother (half really) and I look a lot alike and they sent a picture of him to my wife and she was freaked out about how much we looked alike albeit he is about 12 years younger. I have yet to meet him and probably will not because he has spent some time in prison and has been in and out of jail since then. Apparently he can't stay out of trouble.

Yeah well, I told my wife she was lucky I did not club her the first day we met.

cartoon-caveman-dragging-cave-woman-260nw-31004170.jpg
Ole WC states:

Elvis-Presley-The-Beast-In-Me.gif

Rental car acting up. Makes a loud ticking sound on left-rear axle while driving. Bet a bolt came off rear brake caliper. I'll drive over to Middlesboro tomorrow for a swap. Hope I receive a good replacement vehicle.

You drove the tires off that thing. I know you did. Jerry and Burt had back up cars. I guess you will need one too. Glad you are safe though!

1280px-St_Thomas_Manor_Historic_Marker_Sept_09.JPG

You'll like this. These early Maryland colonial missionaries rejected the enslavement of local Algonquin speaking Potabaco and Piscataway Indians and abhorred the agricultural reality of slavery economics of the tobacco trade and associated enslavement of negro persons. Father Andrew White and Ignatius church parishioners today receive little credit for their to efforts to treat slaves as indentured granting freeman status to similar to the 7 year service for indentured servitude that paid immigration costs from Europe. Times were very tough and the horrific cannibalism of nearby settlement of Jamestown fresh on the minds of these Catholic immigrants and the plight of settlers on their own in the savage frontier as their generosities were abused then lost as the guest Puritans given sanctuary in Maryland from religious persecution conspired with the English then rebelled to seize power and outlawed Catholicism, corrupting its practices prior to the revolution.​

What is it I'm liking about this? Been a long day of work and fellowship and I'm not comprehending what you're sharing.

The history of men is rife with abuse, corruption, and profiteering at the expense of others. The written history of that actual history is often written for the benefit of those who rule. I don't take it at face value, but measure it against all accounts where they can be gathered.

There are and were always good people that tried to do right by their fellow men, seeing in others the light and life endowed by their Creator. Every religion has had them. I do appreciate you showing me this, and I hope it is true.

I have never understood the ease or lightheartedness with which people can speak of the death of other peoples, nor why people would claim it as their own victory. It goes against my principles is all. My father and many others gave their lives to the ideal that all men are created equal, but that is hard to reconcile with our history.

Persecution was felt by every sect at one time or another in this country and the ones they left to come here, yet somehow they passed it on instead of making the persecution stop with them. I'm very disappointed in mankind right now and need to take a break for a few weeks, because as much as I love the people He created, what they've done with themselves in this country and others is repulsive. I know what comes next and need to renew some empathy before that happens.

Btw, I don't think indentured servitude is a horrible thing, unless freedom is never granted. I don't see it as slavery any more than a 5 year car loan would be. The principle is the same. If there is abuse of the position of power, that is something else entirely.

Interesting story. I’ll bet you could run the world’s most fascinating podcast interviewing people who have gotten shocking surprises in the era of ancestry.com and 23&Me. I’ll bet a lot of families have been ripped apart when dad got a nasty surprise.
When people don't have the evidence they just make stuff up and then you hear real stupid BS like "whose truth" or worse.
Good morning D-League. I hope everyone had a great 4th. It was perfect for us - weather as clear and cool as I can remember it, about a total of ten friends and (wife’s) family at a cookout where the food was very good if I do say so myself and then we were surprised when the local community shot off a pretty good array of fireworks close enough that we could watch from my back deck.

I was so busy I didn’t keep up with the “Maryland” debate here. I’m out on a walk in the Maryland woods right now but might be able to add a bit to it later when I can pull up the family records a cousin of mine compiled. I know the Hedges line running to me started with English Protestants who went to Delaware first in about the 1630s then moved on to Maryland in the area now the DC suburbs pretty early. They made two more jumps to the Frederick, Md area then settled an area in western Virginia called Hedgesville, before coming down the Ohio River to what they called Limestone, now Maysville, and trekking into central Kentucky in the 1770s.

UPDATE -- Reviewing the family genealogy, looks like they lingered in Delaware long enough for the son of the first generation in America to marry a woman from a short-lived, and now largely forgotten Swedish colony in Delaware around 1650 or so (the colony is long gone but the DNA remains. While the rest of us have dark hair and dark eyes I have one brother and one sister who are blue-eyed blondes.)

They didn't move on to Maryland until around 1680 as far as I can tell -- the exact date is a little murky but they started showing up in the death records of the Maryland colony right around 1700.
Good stuff. Might consider delegating/updating/including recent history into Joseph Hedges-3 descendant profiles. About 3/4 of Kentucky settlers came via Boone's "Wilderness Road. The remaining 1/4 (Yours and mine) came down the Monongahela , through Pittsburgh then the Ohio.
When my biological father who left us when I was 7 died last October he was 84 and I had never seen him since he left but, my brothers and sister did and went to the funeral and found out we had another brother and sister. Apparently according to my brothers and sister the other brother (half really) and I look a lot alike and they sent a picture of him to my wife and she was freaked out about how much we looked alike albeit he is about 12 years younger. I have yet to meet him and probably will not because he has spent some time in prison and has been in and out of jail since then. Apparently he can't stay out of trouble.
Warrior,
How deep the Kentucky roots? You hanker to know?

Last edited:
When people don't have the evidence they just make stuff up and then you hear real stupid BS like "whose truth" or worse.

Good stuff. Might consider delegating/updating/including recent history into Joseph Hedges-3 descendant profiles. About 3/4 of Kentucky settlers came via Boone's "Wilderness Road. The remaining 1/4 (Yours and mine) came down the Monongahela , through Pittsburgh then the Ohio.

Warrior,
Rooster - thanks for that link. I’m looking forward to studying what’s there. I’ve relied pretty exclusively on what my cousin researched and posted online for family history. At a glance, this looks like it fits into that narrative pretty well, with some differences.

Good morning D-League. Taking a break in the woods during my early hike. Another beautiful morning in the east.

It’s back to work after that. I hope it is a good day for all of you.

And a belated happy birthday to BBUK.

Let’s hope the Cats get good news on Kofi Cockburn this week, though I’m pretty content with the team with or without him. Can’t pass up a second-team All America if one is available.

Another beautiful mid-Summer morning in the Buckeye State. About 70 and on the way to 90.

Not much of anything on the docket. Probably find a few things to do outside till about noon and then move on into the inside for the heat of the afternoon.

Snuck up on everybody and read Ch. 38 yesterday. A hot, hot afternoon is good for reading.

Y'all have a good day.

Warrior,
Don't really know how deep. None of the immediate family kept good records that I am aware. Never met my grandparents on my father's side and only met one on my mother's side because my grandmother died when I was 1. All I really know about the history of my grandfather on my mother's side is that he was a train hopping hobo for a long time until he met his wife according to my mother. So, we never really knew much. Started working with my step father when I was 12 (after School and on weekends) and did not see family much as we moved around a lot. No hankering to know really, family did not seem to be a big deal for both sides and did nothing to help out so...

Strange thing is my wife had a similar upbringing with her father leaving her and her siblings at an early age. I had once thought she was a teen but, since her father visited recently I found out he left her and her siblings when she was 8. She and her sisters one older and one younger quit school when they were a few years older to work. They lived in New York at the time pretty much in filth as she puts it with her mother not doing anything after a while so they had to work. Her father came back a few years later for a week or so and impregnated their mother with her brother and left again. He apologized to her and her brother while here recently and has tried to reconcile by offering the brother a new Chevy Silverado (which he wants) and to come live with him in Florida at a nice home he owns. Wife's brother is now 33 (I think) and does not want to leave here. He is on short term disability because of an injury he received at Goodyear with nothing else to go on so...I think he should take him up on it. Wife's mother pulled him out of school in the third grade because he got into a fight and he never went back. She never home schooled him either and a couple of years ago he got his GED so he could get the job at Goodyear.

Crazy families both.

Read Jeremiah 39 & 40.

Walter Brennan had some great recordings but this was his best. When I hear it my mind always goes to my grandpa. He was a mule man and taught me how to plow

enhance
I remember following my grandpa or uncle when they were plowing with joe or tom, hoping to get to ride the drag after plowing.
I was too young to learn to plow but did learn lots of curse words.

I remember following my grandpa or uncle when they were plowing with joe or tom, hoping to get to ride the drag after plowing.
I was too young to learn to plow but did learn lots of curse words.
I loved to ride the drag. Grandpa used old bed springs and it did a good job breaking up the clumps and bringing the rocks to the surface. After all of that was done we hitched up the mule to the wagon and picked up rocks from where we were planting. As a kid I saw all of this as fun. Today, not so much. But the food that came out of that garden was worth every bead of sweat.

Up in Amish Country where the Mrs went last week, the Amish still plow their fields that way.
Around here, the 'Amish', that are actually Old Fashion German Baptist use tractors. Don't have cars...use buggies like the Amish. No electricity....use propane for heating, cooking, and gas lights in the home.
You do see them riding their tractors many times to the store, etc instead of using a buggy. Quicker I assume...climb up, crank it up and go rather than hooking the horse(s) to the buggy. And the younger ones normally is what you see on the road on the tractor.

Good Morning D

Well, we are on watch and Miss Elsa will be paying a visit soon, real soon. But we are ready for her little blow. It looks like she is going to hug the Gulf Coast which will bring her right through my property.

We can expect 3 to 6 inches of rain so people are sand bagging and preparing for rising water. I live West of U.S. 19 which puts me in the mandatory evacuation zone in the event of hurricanes. Our sheriff says they are expecting a Cat 1 when it comes through here but I am not an evacuator so I will stay with my property. High tides should be 4 to 6 feet higher than normal so that isn't a real threat either.

Our temperature right now is 73° with Winds East at 9 mph. That will pick up as the day goes by. Our high will reach 81° this afternoon about 1:00 and then the heavy thunderstorms come. It will be the 4th of July big time as the skies light up. My wife loves this weather.

I trust all is well in your world and if you need a little rain we will have plenty to share this time tomorrow. Bring a bucket.

MAX_WEB_TROP_ATL5_ww1_1280x720.jpg

I regularly update the Ancestry stuff to help with their algorithms. Go figure? I'm also thinking of joining FindAGrave to communicate with this Donald Rich guy. He reminds me of my Uncle Walter Samuel Rich.
I have been contributing to FindAGrave since 2011. I have added 2,893 memorials and 2,954 photos.

I love the site; however, my biggest problem is getting the errors out of the data. Plus some folks put up a memorial that is full of errors and resist edits.

I suggest you join. It is a wonder site and is interlinked with Ancestry. The more folks contributing the better it becomes. I love the feature of going from father to grandfather et.al. through the links to family.

Last edited:
Good morning D-League. Taking a break in the woods during my early hike. Another beautiful morning in the east.

It’s back to work after that. I hope it is a good day for all of you.

And a belated happy birthday to BBUK.

Let’s hope the Cats get good news on Kofi Cockburn this week, though I’m pretty content with the team with or without him. Can’t pass up a second-team All America if one is available.

Thanks brother MD55...

Oh, and may your days today be full of life. Take heart, there is still good in this world! God Bless you all...

Morning folks. It is 77.7°F here and mostly sunny on our way to 90°. Yesterday got higher than predicted. I bet we beat 90° today.

Swanee batten down the hatches and enjoy the benefits of the good rain. I hope some of it comes our way.

On mules: I never plowed with a mule as we used our tractor, but dad always used an old mule to till the garden and tobacco patch. We always borrowed Dalfus Garrett's old blind mule. She totaled trusted what you directed her to do as she was blind to the point that you had to direct her away from a hole or something like that as she would trip. Still on mules: my dad was a Baptist Deacon in our church. Another deacon in the same church raised Belgian draft mules. They were big. Mainly anymore, they do not use them in the field but they are strong.

Good morning from Shawanee, TN. Currently 73°F and clear. Expect 87°F for today's high.

Fell asleep on the couch last night around 11 pm last night. Woke up around 3 am. Returned to sleep around 6 am in bed. Thought I'd sleep in.

Daughter and I drove around Middlesboro yesterday looking at property for sale. Comparatively speaking, there's very little. No plans on moving into mom's old house because it's a major renovation project.

I'll drive by Enterprise office around noon or so. Hoping for a good outcome.

Some little kitten outside wants in. Nah, better leave it out.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

National-Fried-Chicken-Day.png

To the D, that are reading with me, I am going to start reading just one chapter a day, because the ladies I am reading with are saying they can't keep up with me reading more than one. I have started reading Daniel, so I am reading one then going to Daniel. You watch, a short chapter will come up and I will get a message that says I read 99&100!!!!!!

Good morning from Shawanee, TN. Currently 73°F and clear. Expect 87°F for today's high.

Fell asleep on the couch last night around 11 pm last night. Woke up around 3 am. Returned to sleep around 6 am in bed. Thought I'd sleep in.

Daughter and I drove around Middlesboro yesterday looking at property for sale. Comparatively speaking, there's very little. No plans on moving into mom's old house because it's a major renovation project.

I'll drive by Enterprise office around noon or so. Hoping for a good outcome.

Some little kitten outside wants in. Nah, better leave it out.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

National-Fried-Chicken-Day.png

if you get a chance, I would like to know if the Y still exists or has it been infringed to where it is there but doesn't exist any longer as it did or is built-up somehow. My Paternal Grandparents owned property out there. Also were some Carroll's that lived on the Y. It has been a long long time...

I was going to Google-earth it but I doubt even Google earth knows where the Y is... ;)

195140782_2952881364962992_7125992950455321539_n.jpg

I knw there are, I find that out regularly as I regularly open the door or hold a door open for my Darling and offer the same to the Lady or Ladies arriving behind her. A Lady wants to be treated like a Lady. The headlines seem to vehemently deny that fact. Even old (Or young) crabby Ladies like to be treated like Ladies.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT