ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

I never knew that I was part Indian. I found out taking a DNA test. Rooster told me how I was part American Indian because we had a common 3rd great grandfather.

The Cherokee were known as the "civilized" Indians. That may have been the reason, I don't know.

But I am proud of being part American Indian. I am also part Jewish. I am proud of that also. I am a mixed up cur dog. I am proud of every part of the mix.
9NTzjUwO_o.jpg

Bert, The Find-A- Grave story for Polly Hooker Rich does not match the Cumberland folklore. Mom was convinced about the Cherokee ancestry. My knowledge is presently based based on John Rich family folklore. The same folklore coming out of Clay Co. Tenn. supports this but the tombstones of the Old Macedonia Cemetery were removed and used as the base for a moonshine still. The Rich/Strong families of Jackson County suggest that Polly Hooker was actually hidden in the nearby Cherokee reservation during the "Trail of Tears" Cherokee nation removal to Oklahoma. Plausible but not evidenced. My son and myself will be getting our DNA testing soon. We should have this native American blood too. Maybe cultural-biogeography will give us the evidence. It's hard to argue against thousands of descendants. Our genealogist cousin, Bill Vincent, PhD believes the DNA should be another analysis tool to help determine the truth.​
No fkn sht. Lol. I had no idea people were so sensitive here. That's a little sarcasm in the middle of the post you quoted.

Since we're on the topic, why did you react with a "wow" when I agreed with your post, and then get all defensive? My goodness. Thought I was in RR for a minute

I know a lot of history, even if I don't know my family history. Just didn't know the details about catholic/jesuit marriages. I know a lot more about native American history than most. I just don't get worked up about it much.

I'd apologize for being appreciative, but I really did appreciate the information about marriages back then.
1280px-St_Thomas_Manor_Historic_Marker_Sept_09.JPG

You'll like this. These early Maryland colonial missionaries rejected the enslavement of local Algonquin speaking Potabaco and Piscataway Indians and abhorred the agricultural reality of slavery economics of the tobacco trade and associated enslavement of negro persons. Father Andrew White and Ignatius church parishioners today receive little credit for their to efforts to treat slaves as indentured granting freeman status to similar to the 7 year service for indentured servitude that paid immigration costs from Europe. Times were very tough and the horrific cannibalism of nearby settlement of Jamestown fresh on the minds of these Catholic immigrants and the plight of settlers on their own in the savage frontier as their generosities were abused then lost as the guest Puritans given sanctuary in Maryland from religious persecution conspired with the English then rebelled to seize power and outlawed Catholicism, corrupting its practices prior to the revolution.​

Last edited:
Good morning D-League. I hope everyone had a great 4th. It was perfect for us - weather as clear and cool as I can remember it, about a total of ten friends and (wife’s) family at a cookout where the food was very good if I do say so myself and then we were surprised when the local community shot off a pretty good array of fireworks close enough that we could watch from my back deck.

I was so busy I didn’t keep up with the “Maryland” debate here. I’m out on a walk in the Maryland woods right now but might be able to add a bit to it later when I can pull up the family records a cousin of mine compiled. I know the Hedges line running to me started with English Protestants who went to Delaware first in about the 1630s then moved on to Maryland in the area now the DC suburbs pretty early. They made two more jumps to the Frederick, Md area then settled an area in western Virginia called Hedgesville, before coming down the Ohio River to what they called Limestone, now Maysville, and trekking into central Kentucky in the 1770s.

UPDATE -- Reviewing the family genealogy, looks like they lingered in Delaware long enough for the son of the first generation in America to marry a woman from a short-lived, and now largely forgotten Swedish colony in Delaware around 1650 or so (the colony is long gone but the DNA remains. While the rest of us have dark hair and dark eyes I have one brother and one sister who are blue-eyed blondes.)

They didn't move on to Maryland until around 1680 as far as I can tell -- the exact date is a little murky but they started showing up in the death records of the Maryland colony right around 1700.

Last edited:
Good 5th of July D League

Should be a nice day today. Maybe a little late afternoon rain but lots of sunshine. A State of Emergency has been declared by the governor in anticipation of the tropical storm which is on the way. Coastal counties on the Gulf are the ones in the path of this. There will not be any price gouging which is good.

We had more rain in June than all of the five months before. June to September are our rainy months. The storm is south of Cuba right now and should hit us late Tuesday or early Wednesday morning. Levy and Dixie counties are the bulls eye right now but that could change.

Take care all

This looks like baloney which is probably has the same ingredients as a hot dog. Speaking of hot dogs I refuse to eat any hot dog with chicken or turkey. I am a traditionalist and want my hot dog to have pork and beef. Chickens are for frying not a cheap filler for a hot dog.

Years ago Hot dog manufacturers started adding chicken scraps to cheapen the product and add more $$ to the bottom line. Quality suffered. I stick to Hofmann German old school "franks". No chicken and a natural casing. I will put these on the grill this afternoon.

https://hofmannsausage.com/products/hot-dogs/german-franks-natural-casing/

German_Franks_Natural_Casing_basket.jpg

Good morning from Shawnee, TN. Currently 71°F and clear. Today's high may reach 89°F. Beautiful.

Had a great 4th, but too wore out from the trip to really enjoy.

Just got back from Middlesboro. Drove over for a visit with a few folks and shopping. Plan on visiting my daughter here soon.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

befunky-design3.jpg

Good morning from Shawnee, TN. Currently 71°F and clear. Today's high may reach 89°F. Beautiful.

Just got back from Middlesboro. Drove over for a visit with a few folks and shopping. Plan on visiting my daughter here soon.

befunky-design3.jpg
That's what I call my wife. Whenever I get frisky in bed I usually say Apple (her nickname for the cameo apple because I get only get her to make short appearances) turnover so...heh, heh, heh, she is in for it today.

Happy July 5th to all. Still a holiday for many, and that's OK.

Happy B'day @BBUK . I've known some people who get really down around their birthday. Me, for some reason I never have. Have always been surprised (especially the last 10-15 years) at how old I am getting, but time marches on and you/I can't do anything about it....so.

My nephew who bought the house on Anna Maria Island is down there. Hasn't closed yet. He's got a friend that has a place down there somewhere, so they went down on his private jet last week (nice way to travel). So, if they stay the week, he might have his first taste of a Florida hurricane. Not too late to NOT sign those closing papers 😊

Like Bert...some chores. Got out early and weed sprayed some of the yard...front and about half the back.
Where did our/mine obsession come with having yards with green, green grass with NO weeds?
I stick to Hofmann German old school "franks". No chicken and a natural casing. I will put these on the grill this afternoon.
I've never had them but my brother swears by these.....
51Kl18pgOpL._SY300_QL70_.jpg

Last edited:
I never knew that I was part Indian. I found out taking a DNA test. Rooster told me how I was part American Indian because we had a common 3rd great grandfather.

The Cherokee were known as the "civilized" Indians. That may have been the reason, I don't know.
Perhaps because they developed a written Cherokee language with characters mainly borrowed from Latin & Greek letters & then sprinted books?

befunky-design3.jpg
The Mrs went up last week with a couple friends to 'Amish Country' here in Ohio. Probably about 3-5 counties of which Holmes is the best known. She brought me back some apple turnovers from one of the Amish/German bakeries. To die for........

'The second most populous Amish communities reside in Holmes County, Ohio. And it is actually the largest Amish community in the world, known as “Amish Country” to those in the US. The Amish population is so large that nearly fifty percent of the population considers German or Dutch their first language'

I was so busy I didn’t keep up with the “Maryland” debate here. I’m out on a walk in the Maryland woods right now but might be able to add a bit to it later when I can pull up the family records a cousin of mine compiled. I know the Hedges line running to me started with English Protestants who went to Delaware first in about the 1630s then moved on to Maryland in the area now the DC suburbs pretty early. They made two more jumps to the Frederick, Md area then settled an area in western Virginia called Hedgesville, before coming down the Ohio River to what they called Limestone, now Maysville, and trekking into central Kentucky in the 1770s.

UPDATE -- Reviewing the family genealogy, looks like they lingered in Delaware long enough for the son of the first generation in America to marry a woman from a short-lived, and now largely forgotten Swedish colony in Delaware around 1650 or so (the colony is long gone but the DNA remains. While the rest of us have dark hair and dark eyes I have one brother and one sister who are blue-eyed blondes.)

They didn't move on to Maryland until around 1680 as far as I can tell -- the exact date is a little murky but they started showing up in the death records of the Maryland colony right around 1700.
As I've said, I'm a relative newcomer with first ancestors here were in 1818.

Now DW has a good number of really old ones. She is descended from the royal governor of VA, Richard Bennett. He was RG in 1650's & in VA house of Burgesses around 1630. His uncle was a member of the colony-founding Virginia Company.

She is also descended from a Patrick Huerigan (sp?) who was an Irish immigrant who fought in Washington's Continental Army in a sharpshooter company. They were dispatched to Saratoga & fought there.

Morning D, we had a great 4th, first time in a few years that all my children and grandchildren were all together, lots of food, hamburgers, hotdogs, grilled chicken, ribs, smoked bologna, baked beans, green beans, mac&cheese, bratwurst, apple pie and of course homemade peanut butter ice cream!!

Going to go swimming today, first time going in about 5 or 6 years.

About birthday's, number 70, just another day, but I am glad GOD gave me another one!!!! HE didn't have to!!!!

I hope the D has a great day and Prayers for the D!!!!

Morning D, we had a great 4th, first time in a few years that all my children and grandchildren were all together, lots of food, hamburgers, hotdogs, grilled chicken, ribs, smoked bologna, baked beans, green beans, mac&cheese, bratwurst, apple pie and of course homemade peanut butter ice cream!!

Going to go swimming today, first time going in about 5 or 6 years.

About birthday's, number 70, just another day, but I am glad GOD gave me another one!!!! HE didn't have to!!!!

I hope the D has a great day and Prayers for the D!!!!
I am going to hit the pool until about 2:00 then head over to the beach. We may have a little activity in the Gulf the next few days so I want to take a look.

This time last year I was wondering if I would ever walk again. Life is good and God is great

Happy July 5th to all. Still a holiday for many, and that's OK.

Happy B'day @BBUK . I've known some people who get really down around their birthday. Me, for some reason I never have. Have always been surprised (especially the last 10-15 years) at how old I am getting, but time marches on and you/I can't do anything about it....so.

My nephew who bought the house on Anna Maria Island is down there. Hasn't closed yet. He's got a friend that has a place down there somewhere, so they went down on his private jet last week (nice way to travel). So, if they stay the week, he might have his first taste of a Florida hurricane. Not too late to NOT sign those closing papers 😊

Like Bert...some chores. Got out early and weed sprayed some of the yard...front and about half the back.
Where did our/mine obsession come with having yards with green, green grass with NO weeds?

I've never had them but my brother swears by these.....
51Kl18pgOpL._SY300_QL70_.jpg
Being persnicety with growing grass is an, "old man" thing........I started using a weed product called "Tenacity".......seems to work very well........

I am going to hit the pool until about 2:00 then head over to the beach. We may have a little activity in the Gulf the next few days so I want to take a look.

This time last year I was wondering if I would ever walk again. Life is good and God is great
Got a call an hour or so ago. My nephew and his family are 'wheels up' with their friend (and his family) getting out of the Sarasota area. Decided to get the heck out of Dodge before the hurricane hits.

Being persnicety with growing grass is an, "old man" thing........I started using a weed product called "Tenacity".......seems to work very well........
Think you mentioned that back in the Spring. I looked it up and man...that's is some pricey stuff.
Take it you mix it up in a 1 or 2 gallon sprayer and just spray the weeds only.
Edit...Amazon has it at about $64 for 8 oz.

9NTzjUwO_o.jpg

Bert, The Find-A- Grave story for Polly Hooker Rich does not match the Cumberland folklore. Mom was convinced about the Cherokee ancestry. My knowledge is presently based based on John Rich family folklore. The same folklore coming out of Clay Co. Tenn. supports this but the tombstones of the Old Macedonia Cemetery were removed and used for as the base for a moonshine still. The Rich/Strong families of Jackson County suggest that Polly Hooker was actually hidden in the nearby Cherokee reservation during the "Trail of Tears" Cherokee nation removal to Oklahoma. Plausible but not evidenced. My son and myself will be getting our DNA testing soon. We should have this native American blood too. Maybe cultural-biogeography will give us the evidence. It's hard to argue against thousands of descendants. Our genealogist cousin, Bill Vincent, PhD believes the DNA should be another analysis tool to help determine the truth.

I am lost trying to link the dates and information with the FindAGrave information and my Ancestry info.

I am not making changes in my Ancestry based on the FindAGrave stuff.

I am lost trying to link the dates and information with the FindAGrave information and my Ancestry info.

I am not making changes in my Ancestry based on the FindAGrave stuff.
I regularly update the Ancestry stuff to help with their algorithms. Go figure? I'm also thinking of joining FindAGrave to communicate with this Donald Rich guy. He reminds me of my Uncle Walter Samuel Rich.

Last edited:
Funny thing, 23&me says that I have a higher percentage of Neanderthal than 89% of the worlds population. My wife says that explains a lot.
I did the 23&Me thing a few years back Warrior and also had a pretty high mix of Neanderthal DNA, relatively speaking. Can’t remember the exact number. But what a fascinating world DNA science is opening up. It wasn’t long ago leading anthropologists were sharply divided over whether humans COULD mate with Neanderthals. Now we can say almost all European ancestry humans have that DNA, and in what percentage.

I did the 23&Me thing a few years back Warrior and also had a pretty high mix of Neanderthal DNA, relatively speaking. Can’t remember the exact number. But what a fascinating world DNA science is opening up. It wasn’t long ago leading anthropologists were sharply divided over whether humans COULD mate with Neanderthals. Now we can say almost all European ancestry humans have that DNA, and in what percentage.
Yeah well, I told my wife she was lucky I did not club her the first day we met.

cartoon-caveman-dragging-cave-woman-260nw-31004170.jpg

Last year my 80 year old cousin did 23&me and ended up with a sister. A sister he did not know existed. She was born in South Carolina about 6 months after their father moved the family to Atlanta, GA. I wonder if he even knew he had another daughter She contacted my cousin and broke the news. Their father had died in 1988 and of course she was not aware of that having never seen him.

I am not sure they are going to get together but it would be interesting. She is still in South Carolina and my cousin lives in Tennessee. She is now 78 years old and her mother never told her she was illegitimate. South Carolina in 1943 was busy with Navy boys which shows you never can tell. A lot of action during WWII did not occur on the battlefield or high seas. .

Last edited:
Last year my 80 year old cousin did 23&me and ended up with a sister. A sister he did not know existed. She was born in South Carolina about 6 months after their father moved the family to Atlanta, GA. I wonder if he even knew he had another daughter She contacted my cousin and broke the news and their father died in 1988. .

I am not sure they are going to get together but it would be interesting. She is still in South Carolina and my cousin lives in Tennessee. She is now 78 years old and her mother never told her she was illegitimate. South Carolina in 1943 was busy with Navy boys which shows you never can tell. A lot of action during WWII did not occur on the battlefield or high seas. .
Interesting story. I’ll bet you could run the world’s most fascinating podcast interviewing people who have gotten shocking surprises in the era of ancestry.com and 23&Me. I’ll bet a lot of families have been ripped apart when dad got a nasty surprise.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT