ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

A post I copied to share:

Dr. Justice Avevor

SteSpaifptasemnbosemurono nso1nrr5, 2iceid0tl20 ·
During the filming of The Passion of the Christ, Jim Caviezel (playing Jesus) lost 45 pounds, was struck by lightning, accidentally scourged with a whip twice, leaving a 14-inch scar, had his shoulder dislocated, and suffered from pneumonia and hypothermia from hanging mostly naked on a cross for several hours outside. His body was so stressed and exhausted from playing the role that he had to have 2 open heart surgeries after the production! The crucifixion scene alone took 5 weeks of the 2-month filming time.
The Passion of the Christ is the highest-grossing rated-R movie in the US, of all time, at $370.8M! Worldwide it grossed $611M. Most importantly, it reached many souls around the world. Mel Gibson paid $30M out of his own pocket for the production because no studio would take on the project, and Jim Caviezel was warned not to take the role of Jesus because it would ruin his career.
Today is Jim Caviezel’s birthday, and he’s 51 years old. He proudly proclaims his faith in Christ amidst the godlessness of Hollywood.
Thank God for people like him who will step out to do what might not sound “fun”, but it gets out the Word of God and the story of His salvation of mankind. Happy birthday, Jim Caviezel!
I knew all that about Caviezel except the open heart surgeries. Wow! Know if the open heart surgeries were totally stress related?
He's a good guy.

I love Irish and Scottish music and dancing. This is where Appalachian roots are. Some of the old country songs were brought over from Ulster, Ireland and the Scottish lowlands.

My family came over from the area in the 1700's and landed in Pennsylvania but only stayed there for a short period because they were Presbyterian and Pennsylvania was Quaker country and Presbyterians were not welcome. So they drifted on down to Upstate South Carolina were they made their homestead. From there they went to Western Virginia and crossed the river into Pike County, KY

One of the most famous Ulster Scott ballads was Barbara Allen. It has been recorded by just about everybody from Dolly Parton to Joan Baez and on and on. One of my favorites is Emmy Lou Harris. I heard my grandparents play this song on their front porch with fiddles and guitars a playing. Oh how I love that music.

Loved those old wood desks bolted onto wood slat runners. Used them all thru grade school. Even used the ink wells a couple of years.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 77°F and cloudy. Humid. Steamy. Expect today's high coming in around 94°F. We experienced a brief rain shower yesterday.

Local news just said Texas death toll from our big freeze increased to 151. Yikes! They still argue over weatherization measures.

This week crawling along so far.

Happy Hump Day.....

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

befunky-design6.jpg

Last edited:
Good Wednesday morning, hump day if you are still working for the man.

We have a current temperature of 71° and sunny skies. Chances of rain today are no better than 11% at 3:00 PM. We should get up to 87° about the same time.

I smell sausage frying in the pan, we are starting the day off right with a good breakfast. My favorite meal of the day. Coffee is good and I just finished Jeremiah, Chapter 4. I see a similarity in Israel at that time and America today.

I trust all are well and in good health. Have a roundabout day

Morning D, another dreary ole day here, also read Jeremiah 4.

I think there is supposed to be an eclipse of the sun in the morning at sunrise.

Grandchildren can be funny and heart breaking at times. We went to visit them Monday and when we got ready to leave the youngest one started bawling because he wanted to go stay all night with his SUSU, not his granddad and the other one hid her shoes, we told them she had to work the next day and we would get the soon. Gotta love them!!!!

I hope the D, has a great day and Prayers for the D!!!!

Having Scottish ancestry, I also love the music. Not many people like hearing bagpipes, but I love hearing them. This woman is really good at playing them.

One of my railroad friends, Russ Hamilton of Hamilton, ONT played bagpipes for the "Queens Brigade". He used to bring them on his trips to the U.S. but they got really picky about the ivory in them so he had to stop.

He could entertain anyone within a half mile of him.

An apparent common D-League gadget that I have not found a use for. It has been a year or longer since I have seen more than a few minutes of sprinkles.
I installed my rain gauge on June 14, 2020. It has recorded 55.56 inches of rain in 360 days.

It is 71.1°F and overcast with a 70% chance of rain. We got .08" overnight, just a long sprinkle of course that qualifies as a 100% chance of rain.

Howdy D-League. Hot, humid and overcast in the east. The cicada song has become a constant -- two weeks it has rarely stopped during daylight hours and easily dominates other environmental sounds like bird songs or cars passing. They must think I'm a tree, because they make a direct line for me when I'm walking and love to light on my legs or back or neck. I discovered two of them high up on the back of my shirt this morning -- I think they were trying to mate.

I hope all is well for the D-League. Have a good day folks.

Overcast and about 70 in the Buckeye State...high is only supposed to be 74. Good chance of showers all day so its a bit muggy.

Hate those roundabouts. Years ago all these small towns had them, but they were then called town squares...some towns around here still have them. But the 'roundabouts' must be the new thing with road engineers. We were at one 4 or 5 years ago in a suburb of Columbus. Very, very busy intersection...so why?
Saw a couple of cars that got tired of waiting their turn...that just floored it. Came within inches of causing a crash.

Y'all have a good day.

Howdy D-League. Hot, humid and overcast in the east. The cicada song has become a constant -- two weeks it has rarely stopped during daylight hours and easily dominates other environmental sounds like bird songs or cars passing. They must think I'm a tree, because they make a direct line for me when I'm walking and love to light on my legs or back or neck. I discovered two of them high up on the back of my shirt this morning -- I think they were trying to mate.

TMI you Woody Woodpecker type you... In my best Archie Bunker voice...

Oh, God's grace to you this fine day. Rain blessings from your heart where you see a chance to love. God Bless you all...

We have a current temperature of 71° and sunny skies. Chances of rain today are no better than 11% at 3:00 PM. We should get up to 87° about the same time.

I smell sausage frying in the pan, we are starting the day off right with a good breakfast. My favorite meal of the day. Coffee is good and I just finished Jeremiah, Chapter 4. I see a similarity in Israel at that time and America today.

The idgits...

Overcast and about 70 in the Buckeye State...high is only supposed to be 74. Good chance of showers all day so its a bit muggy.

Hate those roundabouts. Years ago all these small towns had them, but they were then called town squares...some towns around here still have them. But the 'roundabouts' must be the new thing with road engineers. We were at one 4 or 5 years ago in a suburb of Columbus. Very, very busy intersection...so why?
Saw a couple of cars that got tired of waiting their turn...that just floored it. Came within inches of causing a crash.

Y'all have a good day.
My first exposure to roundabouts happened in England, 1984. Definitely different navigating those features in a left-hand drive automobile on the left side of the road. Even somewhat fun.

I noted in 2010 some towns I formerly resided in Germany adopted roundabouts at intersections. Sorta makes sense over there, I guess.

Fast-forward to 2014 or so and roundabouts began appearing in a quiet Austin neighborhood my wife grew up at intersections. More like combination speed-bumps and bizarre-looking traffic diversion than roundabouts. No room for wide, sweeping turns.

Leave it to American traffic engineers....

My first exposure to roundabouts happened in England, 1984. Definitely different navigating those features in a left-hand drive automobile on the left side of the road. Even somewhat fun.

I noted in 2010 some towns I formerly resided in Germany adopted roundabouts at intersections. Sorta makes sense over there, I guess.

Fast-forward to 2014 or so and roundabouts began appearing in a quiet Austin neighborhood my wife grew up at intersections. More like combination speed-bumps and bizarre-looking traffic diversion than roundabouts. No room for wide, sweeping turns.

Leave it to American traffic engineers....
Started drinking more in Austin I suspect... ;)

Last edited:

Y'all have a good day.
I got accustomed to the roundabouts while living in England......they rely on everyone respecting the rules........that is why they no longer work in this country..........respect for the laws/rules of the road.........

Sure it wasn't maggots?
There was a prophecy by a pro-Trump, conservative minister a few months ago about 'insects' invading D.C.
Now, was it a true word from God...or did he put 2 and 2 together knowing that this was the year of the cicadas?
Saying that....in my neck of the woods (literally) haven't heard one peep (or whatever screeching sound that is) and have seen none.

So I'll go with the prophecy that D.C. is a swamp of corruption, etc...God's fed up....hence the release of the locust. 😉

• Good Morning, D-Leagueanites and Lurkers.
  • Missing BF31 and Beverly.
  • The White Tails must not love me anymore. Haven't seen very much of them.
  • We haven't had any Cicadas either.
  • Coffee over.
  • Breakfast over.
  • Wet on this deck from a shower last evening.
  • Lola had to wait until it all dried to get close to me. She wasn't happy about that.
  • That is it from here.
  • As you were.
  • Carry on.
  • Get well soon if you are sick.
  • Be careful out there.

I fixed a Cornish Hen last night, not sure which way to fix it, but I used our Dutch Oven, melted butter in it, then cut up 2 onions, then put whole carrots on top of the onions, brown sugar, then put the Hen on top of that and cooked for 1-1/2 hours. Mrs. M thought it was delicious and wants to cook it again soon.
Any of the D, fixed it like this?

• Good Morning, D-Leagueanites and Lurkers.
  • Missing BF31 and Beverly.
  • The White Tails must not love me anymore. Haven't seen very much of them.
  • We haven't had any Cicadas either.
  • Coffee over.
  • Breakfast over.
  • Wet on this deck from a shower last evening.
  • Lola had to wait until it all dried to get close to me. She wasn't happy about that.
  • That is it from here.
  • As you were.
  • Carry on.
  • Get well soon if you are sick.
  • Be careful out there.
I have not seen nor heard one locust. I listen to news reports out of Washington and Baltimore and they are loud as bagpipers.

Well, I guess the cicadas ain't all bad...In my younger days I made many, many of those junkets either on the "Zoo Plane" as we called the press plane, or, when my name would role up randomly as a pool reporter, on Air Force One. I was never a full-time WH reporter, thank god, but during the Clinton and Bush 2 eras got pressed into service from time to time. You are basically a glorified stenographer. And yes, the WH press contingent was overwhelmingly liberal and pro-Clinton, and anti-Bush.

I don't know if they still do this -- it's the kind of thing Trump stopped -- but they used to mail everyone who flew on AF-1 one of these certificates. I got a bunch of them somewhere.

I fixed a Cornish Hen last night, not sure which way to fix it, but I used our Dutch Oven, melted butter in it, then cut up 2 onions, then put whole carrots on top of the onions, brown sugar, then put the Hen on top of that and cooked for 1-1/2 hours. Mrs. M thought it was delicious and wants to cook it again soon.
Not me, but I bet it would be good.

Well, I guess the cicadas ain't all bad...In my younger days I made many, many of those junkets either on the "Zoo Plane" as we called the press plane, or, when my name would role up randomly as a pool reporter, on Air Force One. I was never a full-time WH reporter, thank god, but during the Clinton and Bush 2 eras got pressed into service from time to time. You are basically a glorified stenographer. And yes, the WH press contingent was overwhelmingly liberal and pro-Clinton, and anti-Bush.

I don't know if they still do this -- it's the kind of thing Trump stopped -- but they used to mail everyone who flew on AF-1 one of these certificates. I got a bunch of them somewhere.
Hell I am such a security risk that they won't let me in the same airport! 🤣

Swipe that maggot off your foot... jk jk...

Sounds good cord. I grill them every once in awhile. Them little boogers are getting pricey.
I love candied carrots, or whatever one calls them. Little brown sugar, butter, maybe a bit of honey.

I think RAB's/circles are great, but that is way messed up. BTW, in MA they're known as rotaries. Had them in early '70's already when I went to school up there. Also BTW, it's difficult to find a stop sign in England.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 77°F, cloudy, steamy and hazy. Humid. Today's high tops out around 96°F. Heating up again.

This afternoon after work I'm heading to Hop Doddy's for a few beers with colleagues. Plan on riding city bus. We're slowly returning to normal.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

iced-tea.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT