ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

You think that's a staged picture or do they actually still live wild in certain areas?
Only reason I ask is that I've never heard of that with cattle in Florida. Plus, there's somewhere (can't remember exactly where...maybe Virginia) where they have an annual 'wild' horse' roundup for a yearly festival, that I think is somewhat staged.

Wow, Virginia...

Cord...looks to me like that would be pretty easy to use bar clamps on.
Really nice looking piece.
OC, LOL I have bar clamps all over my kitchen cabinet. This panel is heavy so I am putting screws thru the sides into the ends to help with the weight of it. This oak is hard, predrilling just trying to not get it to move!!! Mrs. M is not going to be happy with this set up overnight!!!!

You think that's a staged picture or do they actually still live wild in certain areas?
Only reason I ask is that I've never heard of that with cattle in Florida. Plus, there's somewhere (can't remember exactly where...maybe Virginia) where they have an annual 'wild' horse' roundup for a yearly festival, that I think is somewhat staged.
Not staged at all. When I was a youngster Florida was second in the nation in cattle production. Texas #1. Then Disney World showed up and people discovered our beaches. Many cattle ranches were over run by developers.

In the mid 1980's there were more than 2 million head of cattle on Florida ranches but that number has been cut in half by development. The largest ranch left is Deseret Ranch in St. Cloud with 42,500 head of cattle and the ranch is 295,000 acres. The ranch is 10 times larger than Walt Disney World. Few people ever visit the ranches of Florida and I doubt many people even know about them

Here is a nice video that explains the cattle business down here.

https://www.floridabeef.org/raising-beef/cattle-in-florida

To give you more specifics on the Cracker breed an effort by the state was proposed to keep them from extinction and to not breed with other breeds. The state set aside several areas of the state one in Okeechobee, one in Payne's Prairie and one very close to where i live in the Withlachoochee Swamp area.

The herds were selected over the years to maintain the historical size, coloration and spotting, and horn shapes of the cattle of the 1800's. Pictures of Florida Cracker Cattle from as early as 1908 are in existence; they provided useful guides during the selection process. Specifically, eliminated are cattle with traits of Brahman, Hereford and other modern-day cattle breeds. Blood typing plays a large part.

In addition to the cattle there is also a Florida Cracker Horse Association to promote them. These horses are direct (pure blood) from the 1500's when Ponce de Leon brought them from Spain. They also roamed wild for 100's of years in the swamps after Ponce de Leon. It is the breed preferred by the Seminole Indian because of their speed and agility. It not an extra large horse.

https://floridacrackerhorseassociation.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_Cracker_Horse

Last edited:
Good morning D-League. It's currently 68° and raining, with thunderstorms and high of 71° expected later today.

Feels nice having a 4 day weekend. Wish they came around more often.

Everyone stay safe out there today.

Eiffel-Tower-1.jpg
Now where in KY is that?

Not staged at all. When I was a youngster Florida was second in the nation in cattle production. Texas #1. Then Disney World showed up and people discovered our beaches. Many cattle ranches were over run by developers.

In the mid 1980's there were more than 2 million head of cattle on Florida ranches but that number has been cut in half by development. The largest ranch left is Deseret Ranch in St. Cloud with 42,500 head of cattle and the ranch is 295,000 acres. The ranch is 10 times larger than Walt Disney World. Few people ever visit the ranches of Florida and I doubt many people even know about them

I read where Kentucky is now the largest beef producer east of the Mississippi.

I read where Kentucky is now the largest beef producer east of the Mississippi.
The ten states with the highest number of beef cows are:

1. Texas - 4,685,000
  2. Oklahoma - 2,189,000
  3. Missouri - 2,035,000
  4. Nebraska - 1,900,000
  5. South Dakota - 1,799,000
  6. Kansas - 1,447,000
  7. Montana - 1,419,000
  8. Kentucky - 983,000
  9. North Dakota - 975,000
  10. Florida - 929,000
Now look at how many acres of land are required to raise beef and Kentucky blows them all away. My area raises grain, cows (milk and beef) and many other things that are hard to match simply because God gave us good soil and blessed rain.

Plus we grow Corvettes.

Sorry about bragging.

No, I know that there are still cattle ranches in Florida. What I meant (didn't make it clear) is that is the picture staged in that they are rounding up wild cattle in the 'glades, etc. That wild cattle still live in the 'glades.
But I didn't realize that in the 80s that there was that much cattle production there.
As an aside, I knew a guy years ago up here who told me that his parents sold their farm to Disney. As I recall, at the time they sold no one knew what all the buying up of land was for.

Were out running some errands. Front came thru with some heavy rain and the temp dropped 10-15 degrees in an hour or so. Only in the mid/upper 50s now. Feel sorry for all the people planning Memorial Day weekend outings, camping, fishing, lake excursions, etc. Will warm up about the time they leave and go back to work.

No, I know that there are still cattle ranches in Florida. What I meant (didn't make it clear) is that is the picture staged in that they are rounding up wild cattle in the 'glades, etc. That wild cattle still live in the 'glades.
But I didn't realize that in the 80s that there was that much cattle production there.
As an aside, I knew a guy years ago up here who told me that his parents sold their farm to Disney. As I recall, at the time they sold no one knew what all the buying up of land was for.
There are cattle in the wilds of Kentucky. The lady that cuts my hair is a cow girl and she helps going out and giving cow medical attention. The cattle are basically let go and then they check on them and keep them healthy.

Here are some pictures that she allowed me to show.

118306750_10163844360275398_6139009779603275755_n.jpg
118460894_10163844360345398_4889714489388435658_n.jpg
118100748_10163844360905398_6297333186126272218_n.jpg
This is Johnny. Note he is western broke and you guide him with your legs. I have loved on Johnny. What a fine fellow.
118541785_10163844360625398_22714203835919623_n.jpg

There are cattle in the wilds of Kentucky. The lady that cuts my hair is a cow girl and she helps going out and giving cow medical attention. The cattle are basically let go and then they check on them and keep them healthy.

This is Johnny. Note he is western broke and you guide him with your legs. I have loved on Johnny. What a fine fellow.

Whew, glad you clarified Sir and showed another couple pictures. Thought that was a before/ after picture. Was going to say your mane was getting a little shaggy.. sigh... (I know, I know...)

Reserved the rental car this morning: $931 for 14 days. Insane. Doubled in price from last year.
Getting to the point that it would almost be cheaper to buy a car....take the trip....sell used 14 days later when you return.

As I posted a couple weeks ago, same thing happened to my bro. Rental car to Boston and back doubled from last year. So now he's taking his car next week for the trip. I'll tell him about this Austin...we were wondering when he first priced/found out about it if it was an anomoly just for a rental from Ohio-Boston....or if car rentals had just gone up that much.

Disney changed everything and most people think for the worst.

I had a close friend, Larry Sharp whose family owned a very large ranch in Polk County. They sold out and moved the entire ranch operation to Alabama. This was in the mid 1970's. I remember going over there and watching the government inspect each cow and mark them to allow them to cross state lines. It was a huge operation that took several weeks.

Getting to the point that it would almost be cheaper to buy a car....take the trip....sell used 14 days later when you return.

As I posted a couple weeks ago, same thing happened to my bro. Rental car to Boston and back doubled from last year. So now he's taking his car next week for the trip. I'll tell him about this Austin...we were wondering when he first priced/found out about it if it was an anomaly just for a rental from Ohio-Boston....or if car rentals had just gone up that much.

Yeah, we haven't driven much in two years and will take the wife's Camry. My daughter offered to let us take her Rav4 but I seriously doubt we will do that. (I already cleaned that sucker very well and do not want to have to again. I plan to detail my Darlings car this weekend for the drive though I just changed the oil and wiper blades. It is not real dirty and should be in decent shape... Heck, I'd just about take my commuter car (Mazda 3)(All I'd do with it is clean the windows and check the tire pressures.) rather than pay that dough but that is me and I don't have the miles on our car.

As I posted a couple weeks ago, same thing happened to my bro. Rental car to Boston and back doubled from last year. So now he's taking his car next week for the trip. I'll tell him about this Austin...we were wondering when he first priced/found out about it if it was an anomoly just for a rental from Ohio-Boston....or if car rentals had just gone up that much.
I'll discuss with the wife, but I may indeed drive our truck out and back this time. We just obtained a new warranty until 2028. Currently 31K miles on odometer. Might be the best and cheapest course of action.

An add on to Austin's National Brisket Day....I just saw where today is National Burger Day as well.
Makes sense....brisket...burger....all beef.
Had a burger for lunch as we were out running. Now I wish I'd seen this article earlier and I could have either gotten a freebie, or a much better burger than my McD's $1 $2 $3 Dollar Menu McDouble.

Well you can grow beef on a lot of hillsides that you can't grow much else on except trees.
Wow, that is an insult.

My area of Kentucky is far more productive than 99 percent of the worlds surface.

Go to Kansas, Colorado, Alberta, Montana and report back to me on how verdant it is out there and then start to knock Kentucky.

Go to Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada et.al. and tell us how great it is when it comes to raising cattle. The reason you could raise cattle in Texas and the Southwest is because of it vast expanses. They were vast but anything but verdant.

Geeze! where in hell in Arizona can you raise a cow per acre, don't look for an area were you can raise 10 per acre, because it does not exit out west.

Go to Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada et.al. and tell us how great it is when it comes to raising cattle. The reason you could raise cattle in Texas and the Southwest is because of it vast expanses. They were vast but anything but verdant.

Geeze! where in hell in Arizona can you raise a cow per acre, don't look for an area were you can raise 10 per acre, because it does not exit out west.
My brother and I were talking about this very thing a few weeks ago.

The ten states with the highest number of beef cows are:

1. Texas - 4,685,000
  2. Oklahoma - 2,189,000
  3. Missouri - 2,035,000
  4. Nebraska - 1,900,000
  5. South Dakota - 1,799,000
  6. Kansas - 1,447,000
  7. Montana - 1,419,000
  8. Kentucky - 983,000
  9. North Dakota - 975,000
  10. Florida - 929,000
Now look at how many acres of land are required to raise beef and Kentucky blows them all away. My area raises grain, cows (milk and beef) and many other things that are hard to match simply because God gave us good soil and blessed rain.

Plus we grow Corvettes.

Sorry about bragging.
I just sold my crop of Corvettes, but I may indulge again before too long.

Disney had their purchasers incorporate many different companies to secretly buy land. A bunch of it sold really cheaply, especially that which was marshy area. Once the word got out that Disney was moving in the prices soared.

Wow, that is an insult.

My area of Kentucky is far more productive than 99 percent of the worlds surface.

Go to Kansas, Colorado, Alberta, Montana and report back to me on how verdant it is out there and then start to knock Kentucky.

Agree. Granted that far Eastern Kentucky has hillsides, but I would say that only accounts for 15% to 20% of Kentucky’s geography. Most of the cattle are raised in other parts of the state. There is cattle raised in E. Ky, put probably not as much, per acre, as the rest of the state. The varying geography of Kentucky is one of its largest assets.

Last edited:
Here is Cordmakers photo.
193934475_3989477821167772_6879620694963331385_n.jpg

I was supposed to do this last night but I had unplanned company and it never got done.
Bar clamps will be perfect for the piece........the joints will only fit as good as they are cut........are you going to stain that oak or is it going to be natural? Darn nice looking glass work also......When I make a window sash....I like to cut my dado for the glass about 1/8" deep.....then I take little pcs of rubber and use it as spacers between the glass and the frame.........and I don't even remember who showed me this.....but it makes for a great fit without creating wood to glass pressure.....

We also grow the largest elk in the country.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT