ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Hello, D. It’s been awhile, hope y’all are good.

I tried to intervene with nature tonight, and failed. I failed Rooster’s people - the birds, and I need to know that momma bird will forgive me.

Momma Bird Dove birthed two big beautiful babies right on my kitchen window sill. They were more than my neighbors, they were part of my family at this point. I saw em every day, watched em hatch, and grow big enough to fly. Then I failed them.

I arrived home at 10, walk in the kitchen, turn on some lights to peek through the window at my bird family, and to my dismay a big fat ass serpent was right up in the nest. Momma Dove is there. Everyone is still. The snake bastard is just waiting for his opportunity.

Well my dumbass decides to play hero. I’m not gonna let this snake kill these two babies. So, I get my shovel, make my way to the nest....Momma flys off, snake strikes one bird. Genius move on my part. I’m sad and pissed. Snake is killed.

Ok, at least one baby actually flew about 20 feet out in the yard....into my dog’s mouth.

So, I tried to intervene with nature and made things way worse. Maybe both babies were doomed anyway, but at least the snake would have lived. But that huge slithering bastard crossed a line.

Rooster, what I need to know is will this Momma Bird quickly forget this horrific incident? Do birds remember?

Hello, D. It’s been awhile, hope y’all are good.

I tried to intervene with nature tonight, and failed. I failed Rooster’s people - the birds, and I need to know that momma bird will forgive me.

Momma Bird Dove birthed two big beautiful babies right on my kitchen window sill. They were more than my neighbors, they were part of my family at this point. I saw em every day, watched em hatch, and grow big enough to fly. Then I failed them.

I arrived home at 10, walk in the kitchen, turn on some lights to peek through the window at my bird family, and to my dismay a big fat ass serpent was right up in the nest. Momma Dove is there. Everyone is still. The snake bastard is just waiting for his opportunity.

Well my dumbass decides to play hero. I’m not gonna let this snake kill these two babies. So, I get my shovel, make my way to the nest....Momma flys off, snake strikes one bird. Genius move on my part. I’m sad and pissed. Snake is killed.

Ok, at least one baby actually flew about 20 feet out in the yard....into my dog’s mouth.

So, I tried to intervene with nature and made things way worse. Maybe both babies were doomed anyway, but at least the snake would have lived. But that huge slithering bastard crossed a line.

Rooster, what I need to know is will this Momma Bird quickly forget this horrific incident? Do birds remember?

They are all Cobra's...

189762132_10223807613651085_7128693440856073744_n.jpg

The only thing that matters to me when picking out a sofa, is the armrest. The higher the armrest is, the more likely I'll wind up with a stiff neck.
I fell asleep watching TV sitting and the neck injury took months to heal. Still scares me.
Good to see you.

With the caveat that all birds are not created equal they do have good memories. I had a imprint Raven for a while and it was very smart and played games. If you had something, anything that could be stolen and hidden it would be. Would play keep away until bribed. Just loved hot dogs. Doves have relatively short lives and don't worry much. Don't have time. If they have time to sit around they'll lay an egg. They're relatively low on the food chain as you observed with the cobra and the dog. Immature birds do often nest without the benefit of fully mature hormone production to drive their nesting behaviors and in this case was a failure and if she lives long enough to renest she be fine and smarter.
Birds, being little dinosaurs, also eat one another. Some owls are indeterminate nesters They'll lay an egg every couple of days until they start to hatch. Then feed them as best they can. If there are enough mice to eat and everything is fine. If the food supply runs a little low the smaller owlets may be fed to the larger ones. Every thing is still fine, there will be as many owls fledge as there are prey items to feed them. Same with cobras. If you didn't have those pigeons in the window they'd simply slither on over to visit BB.​

Doves have relatively short lives and don't worry much

Well, that’s good.

If this 4ft cobra death machine didn’t get them, the neighbor cats would have.

I’m used to lil robins around. They seem smarter than doves.

My dog will kill anything small and furry/feathery. She lives for squirrels and rabbits like they’re crack cocaine. After she killed her bird, she saw the cobra and NOPE NOPE NOPE, went and hunkered down by the patio door. Useless.

Thanks for the bird talk. Be well, Rooster and The D.

Last edited:
Good morning D-League - Needed to get an early start on the work day.

I hope everyone is looking forward to the long weekend.

We'll make our way over to Arlington Cemetery at some point. Because of COVID, and that these things take a while, we haven't seen the plaque at the spot where my father-in-law's cremated remains are entombed. His widow went last weekend and took a photo.

According to her, he actually made corporal, but got in a brawl with some sailors and was busted back to PFC, which remained his official rank. I can believe it.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 76°F and cloudy. Chance for rain late this afternoon. Bring it on. Our high may reach 90°F again today.

Hopefully not busy today. We're at minimum staffing.

Happy Friday! 3-day weekend coming.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

8a73c417d8c88a92486ea5dde37d9848.png
Billy Sims, here I come.

I fell asleep watching TV sitting and the neck injury took months to heal. Still scares me.

Good to see you.

With the caveat that all birds are not created equal they do have good memories. I had a imprint Raven for a while and it was very smart and played games. If you had something, anything that could be stolen and hidden it would be. Would play keep away until bribed. Just loved hot dogs. Doves have relatively short lives and don't worry much. Don't have time. If they have time to sit around they'll lay an egg. They're relatively low on the food chain as you observed with the cobra and the dog. Immature birds do often nest without the benefit of fully mature hormone production to drive their nesting behaviors and in this case was a failure and if she lives long enough to renest she be fine and smarter.
Birds, being little dinosaurs, also eat one another. Some owls are indeterminate nesters They'll lay an egg every couple of days until they start to hatch. Then feed them as best they can. If there are enough mice to eat and everything is fine. If the food supply runs a little low the smaller owlets may be fed to the larger ones. Every thing is still fine, there will be as many owls fledge as there are prey items to feed them. Same with cobras. If you didn't have those pigeons in the window they'd simply slither on over to visit BB.​

You're a pro.... 😅 An honor to interact with you!

Oh, May God be God to you, he is God but some cannot fathom his deity. May you always come to the realization that God is God but he values you so much that he gave his son that you may live and live eternally with him. Choose wisely. God Bless you all...

Good morning D-League - Needed to get an early start on the work day.

I hope everyone is looking forward to the long weekend.

We'll make our way over to Arlington Cemetery at some point. Because of COVID, and that these things take a while, we haven't seen the plaque at the spot where my father-in-law's cremated remains are entombed. His widow went last weekend and took a photo.

According to her, he actually made corporal, but got in a brawl with some sailors and was busted back to PFC, which remained his official rank. I can believe it.
Have a nice visit to Arlington Cemetery. If by chance you get close to the grave of my mother's first cousin, please do me a favor and leave a penny on his headstone.

Bill, Jr was a West Point grad in the class of 1944 and was sent to Normandy. He never got out of Normandy alive. Notice the error on his tombstone. WWI. He died in Normandy on July 5, 1944. World War II. The 83rd Infantry saw some heavy fighting in Europe.

Thanks

enhance

Good Morning D League

Another fine day is in store but still no rain. In less than a week Hurricane Season will be here and that means rain as one tropical disturbance after an other will show up about 4:00 every afternoon and give us a good shower. We do need it.

I am eyeing that beef brisket Austin posted. I do love that stuff and I might head up to Sonny's and load up on it.

This big un better be worried. LoL I trust all have a blessed day.

193219746_1205636453210786_6470634153831663962_n.jpg

Last edited:
A rainy morning in the Buckeye State and in for a couple cooler days. Nothing on the agenda for today. Was discussing with the Mrs about making some runs this morning. She wanted to go this way > and I want to go this way <. Isn't that typical? So we may up going nowhere.

Y'all have a good Friday.

Actually heard on the radio a couple times this week...news....calling it a 4 day weekend. Much like how when my kids were young the Thanksgiving break went from 4 days to 5 because so many parents would take their kids out of school so they could leave on Wed to go out of town.

My Darling and I along with my Grandson are going to make a trip to Radcliff Kentucky Monday and return Wednesday. We will make another trip too at a later date to southeastern Kentucky and that area. Very probably in early to mid July.
That's a quick trip.
I am eyeing that beef brisket Austin posted. I do love that stuff and I might head up to Sonny's and load up on it.
That's a name I haven't heard in a long time. Used to love that place...went to the one in Norcross often for lunch. Didn't know they were still in business...thought they had gone out.
Have always wanted to smoke a brisket but I've heard so many horror stories that I've never pulled the trigger. Guess you have to prepare for an all night/all day smoke to do it.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 76°F and cloudy. Chance for rain late this afternoon. Bring it on. Our high may reach 90°F again today.

Hopefully not busy today. We're at minimum staffing.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

8a73c417d8c88a92486ea5dde37d9848.png
I have been wanting to smoke some brisket burnt ends.

That's a name I haven't heard in a long time. Used to love that place...went to the one in Norcross often for lunch. Didn't know they were still in business...thought they had gone out.
Have always wanted to smoke a brisket but I've heard so many horror stories that I've never pulled the trigger. Guess you have to prepare for an all night/all day smoke to do it.
No they are a very popular BBQ joint down here. I load up with fried okra, sweet potatoes and Southern style potato salad as sides.

I remember the very first one that started in Gainesville, FL in the late 60's. We went to it after a UK football game. There are over 100 locations in the Southeast and Kentucky. When I visit Lexington I go to the one in Nicholasville. I have also stopped in Corbin at the one off of I-75. I believe Kentucky is as far north as they go. But in Florida and especially South Georgia they are everywhere

It is good pit BBQ and the local ones here do great business.

Good Morning D League

Another fine day is in store but still no rain. In less than a week Hurricane Season will be here and that means rain as one tropical disturbance after an other will show up about 4:00 every afternoon and give us a good shower. We do need it.

This big un better be worried. LoL I trust all have a blessed day.

193219746_1205636453210786_6470634153831663962_n.jpg

That looks like a John Wayne type cow...

Last time I visited Sonny's BBQ happened in Orlando near the airport during January, 2020 with my cousins shortly before all this COVID ramped-up. The restaurant chain offers a great atmosphere. In fact, I'd rate the overall experience better than typical Texas chains (i.e. Bill Miller, Rudy's). BBQ quality seems quite good when compared to Lone Star State establishments.

This is for the carpenter D's, I have a stained glass panel that I have the frame already cut to put together, my problem is the panel has to slide into a groove, then has to be glued together. My question is, has any of the D ever used a strap clamp? I thought about just gluing each one then sliding the panel in before gluing the final piece on, just not sure about the last two angles fitting together. Your thoughts?
Here is Cordmakers photo.
193934475_3989477821167772_6879620694963331385_n.jpg

I was supposed to do this last night but I had unplanned company and it never got done.

That looks like a John Wayne type cow...
Funny you mention that. This is actually a Florida Cracker breed that was brought to America by Ponce de Leon in the 1500's. He was attacked and driven out of Florida by Indians, He left his horses, cattle and hogs and fled to his ship, then sailed to Cuba where he died.

After the Spanish left, their cattle, horses and hogs went into the swamps and bred there for 100's of years. Wild. Florida pioneers would go into the swamps to "catch the cattle". The breed was saved in the late 1940's and has a strong presence today in the state. There is an organization devoted to raising and breeding the cattle to keep the breed pure..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_Cracker_cattle

Here are some cowboys "catching" cattle. The dogs play a very important role in getting these cattle out of the swamps

8913d64ba360d952d6032c025c16c545.jpg

Last time I visited Sonny's BBQ happened in Orlando near the airport during January, 2020 with my cousins shortly before all this COVID ramped-up. The restaurant chain offers a great atmosphere. In fact, I'd rate the overall experience better than typical Texas chains (i.e. Bill Miller, Rudy's). BBQ quality seems quite good when compared to Lone Star State establishments.
My local Sonny's is hit or miss. Sometimes it's really good while others it has a taste as if the meat had been frozen and reheated. I had a co worker ask me once about my smoker and I told him if he bought one he would never eat Sonny's again. He later told me he thought I was crazy and that he would still run to Sonny's if he wanted something and didn't' want to take time to smoke it but after tasting the difference he never eats at Sonny's anymore.

Last edited:
Funny you mention that. This is actually a Florida Cracker breed that was brought to America by Ponce de Leon in the 1500's. He was attacked and driven out of Florida by Indians, He left his horses, cattle and hogs and fled to his ship, then sailed to Cuba where he died.

After the Spanish left, their cattle, horses and hogs went into the swamps and bred there for 100's of years. Wild. Florida pioneers would go into the swamps to "catch the cattle". The breed was saved in the late 1940's and has a strong presence today in the state. There is an organization devoted to raising and breeding the cattle to keep the breed pure..

Here are some cowboys "catching" cattle. The dogs play a very important role in getting these cattle out of the swamps

Yes, I was being partly in a joking mode but John Wayne owned a huge cattle operation at one time and I was reminded of that when I saw the picture. While I do really like John Wayne movies I was as much into how he carried himself outside of the motion picture industry. He was a doer AND a red-blooded American!

Yes, I was being partly in a joking mode but John Wayne owned a huge cattle operation at one time and I was reminded of that when I saw the picture. While I do really like John Wayne movies I was as much into how he carried himself outside of the motion picture industry. He was a doer AND a red-blooded American!
When he died in 1979 a local radio station devoted an entire day to discuss him and honor him. They opened the phone lines and it turned out to be one of the busiest days they have ever had

You think that's a staged picture or do they actually still live wild in certain areas?
Only reason I ask is that I've never heard of that with cattle in Florida. Plus, there's somewhere (can't remember exactly where...maybe Virginia) where they have an annual 'wild' horse' roundup for a yearly festival, that I think is somewhat staged.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT