ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

If the printer has burned through 4 hard drives in a few years, also closely examine your electrical connectivity. Might replace a power strip or two. Ensure printer is dust-free. Dust is an amazing conductor. I've seen circuit boards short because of dust buildup.

You're right. I have seen several explosions in plants, caused by airborne dust.

hE16J7M5_o.jpg
This is Moosic!

A question for all you smart guys. if I may? Jan has a CanonIPF6450 inkjet printer that she hooks up to a computer and prints on lamp shade material. I barely know how to make a post, so I'm clueless. She has a fair knowledge about computers, but had no schooling on it, so it's just what she picks up by trial and error. Anyhow, hard drives on the computers keep going out. She bought a new HP at Costco about 6 months ago and now the hard drive went out. That's 4 in the last 2 or 3 years. Is this common for printers? Any ideas?

Hello, I read most of the reply's and real good input from them. I have a couple idea's too. Where the hard drive's are going bad is it the same power source/ plug-in where this happens? Has the computer been moved to a different outlet, or run an electric cord from another outlet for a while and see. (How old is the building?)

Power spikes or surges will zap a hard drive quicker than you could imagine. I think you mentioned that the printer works on other computers. Even a newer building could have a bad wall plug or plugs.

I may turn on a laptop computer in my home for a while sitting in my recliner but I have all my stationary and laptop computers on a UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply). That will ensure a decent electrical connection and if not it will allow for a graceful shutdown. It won't allow current that would harm your computer. (A consistent current is key to proper functionality. A UPS will make that happen.)

There are a lot of areas to check but if all is happening from or near the same power source, I'd try another power source for a while even if I had to run some 14 gauge electric cords to do it if I couldn't easily move my systems. The minimum would for sure be to use a surge protector but that is not a long term solution if your current is surging or spiking.

Also along the same line of electricity, I talked with an electrical engineer while I was inspecting his home one time in the Maryville area near Louisville. I took this to heart when he stated it at the time and have used it since (It doesn't cost anything and his credentials were displayed on his office walls from various institutions of higher learning.)

He stated to tie a loose knot in your electric line like the below picture. It was to stop certain surges of current. (It doesn't need to be at the connection, just along the line at some point.)(I will use a line used in Rooster Cogburn; "I ain't going to say if it's true or not, but it's comforting.")

images

Last edited:
The printer and computer is at the shop. She will check it out tomorrow at work. Thanks for the trouble you've gone to.
Every two years the Director has to renew her Respiratory license.......every two years I go buy a cheap printer......(under $50).....we don't use a printer around here......other than printing her license out.....it sits there and evidently goes bad......

You're right. I have seen several explosions in plants, caused by airborne dust.
When I was a kid my grandfather got me a part time job at Parkmoor Bowling Lanes......they closed down and were resurfacing the lanes and sprucing the place up......one of the guys that was sanding the lanes was a big guy that looked like a bear his back was so hairy........we were in the back and heard an explosion.....not real loud but loud enough........all you could smell was hair burning.........the sanding machine had sparked and the dust from the urethane and wood flashed.......it burned the hell out of him.......I never have liked dust collection systems......argued against it when they put a system in our shop.............

He stated to tie a loose knot in your electric line like the below picture. It was to stop certain surges of current. (It doesn't need to be at the connection, just along the line at some point.)(I will use a line used in Rooster Cogburn; "I ain't going to say if it's true or not, but it's comforting.")
!!! Back in the day I spent a lot of time around electronic/electrical engineers and electricians. Have never heard that. That's cool and simple.....if 'true' as Rooster said.

Good morning D League

Well, I woke up this morning to take a quick dip in the pool and discovered one of my wife's pool umbrellas was picked up by the wind last night and ended up in the pool. The umbrella was no problem but the base is cast iron and as heavy as lead. It has small wheels on it and she didn't lock them after she moved it to block the sun. So guess what I have to do this morning. I am the salvage man.

The weather is nice with a current temperature of 72°, with winds SW at 9 mph and sunny skies. We do have a 15% chance of needed rain through 9:00 AM so it better hurry up. Our high today should top out at 84°

I am headed down to King's Bay for a day on the water this afternoon then stop off at one of my favorite seafood restaurants for some grouper and a mess of fried oysters. Perfect day for it.

This is a winter home for manatees. The Gulf waters get too cold and they come up in the bays and rivers because of the warmer temperatures. I imagine most if not all are back in the Gulf now but they get thick in these waters in the winter time.

Trust all have a nice day. I smell bacon.

25748955482_dc1d52682b_b.jpg

Hello, I read most of the reply's and real good input from them. I have a couple idea's too. Where the hard drive's are going bad is it the same power source/ plug-in where this happens? Has the computer been moved to a different outlet, or run an electric cord from another outlet for a while and see. (How old is the building?)

Power spikes or surges will zap a hard drive quicker than you could imagine. I think you mentioned that the printer works on other computers. Even a newer building could have a bad wall plug or plugs.

I may turn on a laptop computer in my home for a while sitting in my recliner but I have all my stationary and laptop computers on a UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply). That will ensure a decent electrical connection and if not it will allow for a graceful shutdown. It won't allow current that would harm your computer. (A consistent current is key to proper functionality. A UPS will make that happen.)

There are a lot of areas to check but if all is happening from or near the same power source, I'd try another power source for a while even if I had to run some 14 gauge electric cords to do it if I couldn't easily move my systems. The minimum would for sure be to use a surge protector but that is not a long term solution if your current is surging or spiking.

Also along the same line of electricity, I talked with an electrical engineer while I was inspecting his home one time in the Maryville area near Louisville. I took this to heart when he stated it at the time and have used it since (It doesn't cost anything and his credentials were displayed on his office walls from various institutions of higher learning.)

images
Thanks, several things for her to look through this morning.

Rooster, the Dove parents are not stupid, and they don’t forget. They have been looking non stop for the babies.

What food do they like? I gotta at least feed them.

I left the dead babies outside all night, and most of the morning, then disposed of them. I figured Momma and Dad would have known.

images
Back in my working days we always tied extension cords together like that to prevent them from being pulled apart. i never knew we were also creating a surge protector. nice.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 67°F and partly cloudy. Today's high may reach 85°F.

After I wake up, must walk around the house and check damage. Plan on visiting up a couple gun stores today for ammo. Might purchase a revolver for wife if one is available. Got a few other chores on the agenda.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

33963841_1766569730070342_4366354432758120448_n.jpg

Good morning D, cool 51 here in the Berg!!!

Read 54.

Mrs. M is on vacation next week.

Got the frame together, but wouldn't you know it, the last screw I put in broke right in between joints!!!!! Had to finish it with a good ole 6 finish nail!!!!

Yawl have a great day!!! Prayers for the D!!!!

We made Peanut Butter ice cream with Reese's cup cut up in it for the POLICE DEPT., going to deliver it to them this morning!!!!

Good morning D, cool 51 here in the Berg!!!

Read 54.

Mrs. M is on vacation next week.

Got the frame together, but wouldn't you know it, the last screw I put in broke right in between joints!!!!! Had to finish it with a good ole 6 finish nail!!!!

Yawl have a great day!!! Prayers for the D!!!!

We made Peanut Butter ice cream with Reese's cup cut up in it for the POLICE DEPT., going to deliver it to them this morning!!!!
Chapter 54 read

no weapon forged against you will prevail,

I use scientific methods to gage what our rain and wind does here.

If the wind is 10-15 MPH the garbage barrel is 1/4 way around the tree and over that the barrel is 1/2 way around! Direction left side of the tree out of the SE, right side of the tree NW!!!!

Amount of rain, by how much rain is puddled up in our neighbors driveway!!!!!

It is a cool 54.5°F on my back porch. It was a degree higher when I got up. It is supposed to make it up to 61° this afternoon but it is going in the wrong direction.

We are stuck on .28" of rain so far. I was hoping for a half inch, but maybe a little more today.

On the loop in a wire being a surge protector, I have my doubts.

Wow, that is an insult.

My area of Kentucky is far more productive than 99 percent of the worlds surface.

Go to Kansas, Colorado, Alberta, Montana and report back to me on how verdant it is out there and then start to knock Kentucky.

Go to Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada et.al. and tell us how great it is when it comes to raising cattle. The reason you could raise cattle in Texas and the Southwest is because of it vast expanses. They were vast but anything but verdant.

Geeze! where in hell in Arizona can you raise a cow per acre, don't look for an area were you can raise 10 per acre, because it does not exit out west.
Just saying it's hard to farm crops on hillsides but cows are fine there. See it all the time here in NKy - hillsides with nothing but cows. I don't see the insult but OK.

A question for all you smart guys. if I may? Jan has a CanonIPF6450 inkjet printer that she hooks up to a computer and prints on lamp shade material. I barely know how to make a post, so I'm clueless. She has a fair knowledge about computers, but had no schooling on it, so it's just what she picks up by trial and error. Anyhow, hard drives on the computers keep going out. She bought a new HP at Costco about 6 months ago and now the hard drive went out. That's 4 in the last 2 or 3 years. Is this common for printers? Any ideas?
Don't know much, but I'd get a solid-state drive computer vs. hard drive one. More expensive some, but faster & more reliable.

Will be leaving soon to go get my brisket from Billy Sims. Wife came home from work at 1400 and we had to go pick up the big girl form the vet. They operated today to remove outer cancerous growth and removed an inner lump that was there to. She has a very big scar on her stomach and is uncomfortable but dealing. We have to watch her for at least the next 7 days to ensure she does not lick or scratch the area plus, keep the other 3 dogs off of her. Hard with the 6 1/2 year old puppy. She just wants to be in and around everything.
Poor baby.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 67°F and partly cloudy. Today's high may reach 85°F.

After I wake up, must walk around the house and check damage. Plan on visiting up a couple gun stores today for ammo. Might purchase a revolver for wife if one is available. Got a few other chores on the agenda.

The .380 is a real good CC weapon. It fires easy and the defense rounds will stop an attacker. The ammo is somewhat scarce though.

Going to Kentucky with me...

Last edited:

National I can't pronounce it day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT