ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Good morning! I like chicfila just fine but I've rarely been there. I eat very little fast food and only when I'm very hungry. Can't think of much besides Arby's Rueben sandwich that I would go to as a plan. KFC would be another. Not for Rueben, for chicken.

I smell the coffee cooking. Saturday and Sunday mornings are still the best for me. She makes coffee and breakfast today and she makes coffee and I make breakfast tomorrow.

I just checked my phone for the weather and it says it's 53° and there's a 1% chance of rain at 0900. Man, the NWS is very accurate these days. Accurate may be the wrong word. "Precise" might be better.

I've got about a 1/4th load of wood on my truck that I need to unload today. Got it at a friends house from a huge limb that had fallen and hit his house during a storm a couple of months ago. I fully intend on turning it into charcoal but a lot of work must be done to get it ready to cook. Ugh!

Have a good day and here's a tip for the Preakness...

Don't bet on slow horses!

The weather is starting to warm-up to the point that I can plant tomatoes. Four in containers and three in the ground along with hot peppers and herbs. Doing Arkansas Traveler, Jet Star, Cherokee Purple, Roma and Sun Gold. Looking for a good harvest. If I had enough confidence in my staking ability I'd plant Steakhouse tomatoes just for the hell of it. The biggest of the bigs.

s-l300.jpg

Amazing but... Where's Festus? (I know this may be too early for KC but Ole Festus could flat out sing a song too.)(I know, he will always be Festus to me though he was in many John Wayne Movies too.) OT: John was good friends with James Arness and Ken was right in that mix.
I read that the Festus character was modeled after someone that Ken Curtis had known when Ken Curtis was growing up.

Last edited:
I dream very little but when I do they're weird to say the least. Kind of prophetic. It's like I'm asleep....but awake. Can't even explain it. Don't really dream or 'see' anything, but have 'feelings' about someone. First one was years ago about my oldest son. Knew something was wrong but had no idea what. Called him and he was OK and ended the conversation with a 'take care...be careful'. Prayed for him every day 'cause I still had this overwhelming sense of doom/danger. About a week later he was in a car wreck. Trooper told his mother (the ex) that in that type of wreck he should/could have been killed.
Same type 'dream' with the Mrs' youngest daughter. She wasn't a bad teenager but very disrespectful to her Mom who was a 'single Mom' working her butt off for her two teen daughters to be able to give them all they could have. I actually wrote her a letter to respect her Mom, that her Mom loved her, etc, etc. Prayed multiple times a day for her due to that 'feeling' again. About a week later she was in an accident. Almost died. Spent about 6-8 weeks in the hospital.
These type dreams have happened a number of times over the years. Really, really strange. Think (maybe) it's God's way of me being an intercessor for somebody? Pray for their protection?
Since I don't talk about them until after something happens (don't know if they're true/accurate or not....why say something if nothing happens)....the Mrs asks me every once in awhile if I've had any 'dreams' lately.
Another name for those types of dreams is nightmares.

Last edited:
I read that the Festus character was modeled after someone that Ken Curtis had known when Ken Curtis was growing up.
He did a great job evolving that character over the first year or two that he was on the show (he was on the show as Festus a couple times before he became a regular). Some people I would imagine if they saw the 'real' Ken Curtis would have no idea that he was Festus. Sign of a good actor IMO.

Good morning! I like chicfila just fine but I've rarely been there. I eat very little fast food and only when I'm very hungry. Can't think of much besides Arby's Rueben sandwich that I would go to as a plan. KFC would be another. Not for Rueben, for chicken.

I smell the coffee cooking. Saturday and Sunday mornings are still the best for me. She makes coffee and breakfast today and she makes coffee and I make breakfast tomorrow.

I just checked my phone for the weather and it says it's 53° and there's a 1% chance of rain at 0900. Man, the NWS is very accurate these days. Accurate may be the wrong word. "Precise" might be better.

I've got about a 1/4th load of wood on my truck that I need to unload today. Got it at a friends house from a huge limb that had fallen and hit his house during a storm a couple of months ago. I fully intend on turning it into charcoal but a lot of work must be done to get it ready to cook. Ugh!

You need to bring that wood here and throw it in the pizza oven...........we'll cook up some great pizza......and the beer is always frosty.,...

Peter Graves is James Arness's younger brother......I met Peter Graves at a Dismiss House Derby dinner...........he tried to sneak out a side door...........I was on him.......got his autograph.......he talked to my foster father and me for maybe 10 minutes.......I remember he was very nice......

Possibilities but I'd have to listen to a larger sample-size. is this person on the radio now or main stream music now?
Rock-A-Billy music is a bit eclectic. I was surfing for one of my favorites Imelda May about 10 years ago and read "if you like Imelda you might like Paloma Faith". Not as much as my wife and daughter. So here's everything I know. From London, her mother English daddy Spanish. She ran with the Olympic torch in heels as she "doesn't do sneakers well" She's was a magician's assistant who's been cut in half, can sing with emotion and puts on quite a show. Being easy on my old eyes didn't hurt. She sings for a living. I saw "Dove Tattoos" doesn't affect her voice

She makes commercials.

If people put their minds to even the most serious of problems there are solutions.
The hardest part is determining what what you don't know.

Morning Legionnaires!

Going out fishing again this morning for a few hours then back to cut the grass. Really could wait for a few days to cut it but, rain in the forecast for the next 10 or so days. It will also give me an excuse to be outside for at least a couple of hours while the MIL is here.

Fell asleep on the couch and had a dream last night that I was attacked, (did not know him) and I got this guy on the ground and was punching him in the head. Woke up and i had my UK back support couch pillow (one with arms) in my hands and was punching one of the arms. About a week ago I was on the couch asleep and was in another altercation where I threw a side kick and I woke up with my leg off of the couch in a side kick position. I have done that a few times while in bed with my wife but luckily, the bed is big enough where I have missed. I have had dreams where she has actually had to wake me up from me yelling at whoever was in my dreams.

Anyone else have these type of dreams?
Perfect! The subconscious mind never sleeps unless drugged and the psyche a source of knowledge where there are no limitations of reality. Teach yourself to tune in. Its a port to the id.
I dream very little but when I do they're weird to say the least. Kind of prophetic. It's like I'm asleep....but awake. Can't even explain it. Don't really dream or 'see' anything, but have 'feelings' about someone. First one was years ago about my oldest son. Knew something was wrong but had no idea what. Called him and he was OK and ended the conversation with a 'take care...be careful'. Prayed for him every day 'cause I still had this overwhelming sense of doom/danger. About a week later he was in a car wreck. Trooper told his mother (the ex) that in that type of wreck he should/could have been killed.
Same type 'dream' with the Mrs' youngest daughter. She wasn't a bad teenager but very disrespectful to her Mom who was a 'single Mom' working her butt off for her two teen daughters to be able to give them all they could have. I actually wrote her a letter to respect her Mom, that her Mom loved her, etc, etc. Prayed multiple times a day for her due to that 'feeling' again. About a week later she was in an accident. Almost died. Spent about 6-8 weeks in the hospital.
These type dreams have happened a number of times over the years. Really, really strange. Think (maybe) it's God's way of me being an intercessor for somebody? Pray for their protection?
Since I don't talk about them until after something happens (don't know if they're true/accurate or not....why say something if nothing happens)....the Mrs asks me every once in awhile if I've had any 'dreams' lately.
That's why many folks that tune in keep a pad next to their bed to jot down notes . . . really helps.

Last edited:
You need to bring that wood here and throw it in the pizza oven...........we'll cook up some great pizza......and the beer is always frosty.,...
Don't you live in Louisville?

Had a good talk with Bert earlier. Got off the phone hungry as hell and went straight to the kitchen. Ate 3 moon pies and finished my coffee. I'll do better for lunch.

Gonna trim some bushes today. Do not like that job. I would say a fella deserves a cold brew or 4 after that.

I'll watch the Preakness and throw some dollars at it. Can't have worse luck than Derby Day.

I might be sweaty the next time I talk to you. But not too...

Taking a short beer break from all the activity. Got most of the bushes trimmed but still have to collect everything I've cut and haul it to the back.

A little more trimming and a lot of weed eating to go yet. I can see this may end up being a 12 pack day for sure.

Had a good talk with Bert earlier. Got off the phone hungry as hell and went straight to the kitchen. Ate 3 moon pies and finished my coffee. I'll do better for lunch.

Gonna trim some bushes today. Do not like that job. I would say a fella deserves a cold brew or 4 after that.

I'll watch the Preakness and throw some dollars at it. Can't have worse luck than Derby Day.

Good talk.

We should remind everyone that we did not gossip.

Everyone on the D-League that we ran down really deserved it! :cool:

Good talk.

We should remind everyone that we did not gossip.

Everyone on the D-League that we ran down really deserved it! :cool:
I don't know about you Bert, but I held back.

Taking my next break. That was 2 solid hours of manual labor. A lot of people who aren't going back to work prolly don't put in that much in a full day. Yes I am sweating. But not too much...

What kind of bait/lure are you using........I have had reasonable good fishing with a #7-#8 model A Bomber Firetiger pattern......early season........I am still waiting on my finger and boat license.......my day will come.......
Multi-colored stick worms and flukes mostly. Had been doing well last couple of years but, out weather has been unusually cool for spring for here so, I am guessing it has a lot to do with it.

Today's report. Warrior-cat-0 ---Largemouth Bass 0. Not one bite in 4 hours but, I did hook about a 3lb channel cat. Thought I had hooked on to a decent sized bass because it fought so good. Probably won't go out for this next week. Supposed to be raining all week. If it breaks and it looks like I have a few hours to play I might slink down to Lake Ellsworth which is a little over a mile from my house. I can see it from my front yard and if I hook a left out of my drive way I can drive straight down the road into the lake. I have had limited success bass fishing there over the years since I have no boat. May have to give it a shot this week.

Last edited:
Good morning from ATX. Currently 67°F and cloudy. Expecting 86°F for today's high. Rain chances increasing late tonight and early tomorrow morning.

Looks like I'll try more weeding later today. We've got a few between both fences I must pull by hand. If I wait too long after flowering bloom, resulting stickers are terrible. Working additional chores as well.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

befunky-design.jpg
Ah yeah baby, national chocolate chip day. Shhhhh! Don't tell my wife. I have some of the dark chocolate ones (bitter sweet) and I have a pound of dark chocolate snow caps I ordered from Nuts.com.

Last edited:

KFC is still #1 for me with Popeye's spicy strips second. I love to eat KFC the next day straight out of the refrigerator.

Yes sir.....the best city in the world to "be from".........

Front yard is done. Got everything cleaned up and the tools are back in the shed. The back is about 4 times the amount of work as the front so it will have to wait for another day.

A story about today
by Bertfan31

I told my wife this morning that I would be doing yard work today and she said she wanted me to burn some things in the barrel. I told her that the wind was blowing too hard and I didn't want to smoke out the neighbors. Mainly because, like a good neighbor, I'm there.

She made a couple of remarks that basically went something like this, "screw the neighbors".

So any way, I've got this fire going and everything is going well. There was little to no smoke coming out of the chimney and in fact, flame was coming out of a 4 foot chimney.

I go about my business and I smelled something in the front yard. I went around the house to look at the barrel and black smoke was coming out hard. Like it was pulling 100 cars up an 8% grade.

I went back inside and asked her what was in the bags she wanted burned. She had told me, after I specifically asked her, that there was nothing in the bags but paper. Old bills, envelopes, and what not. She says "I think there was an extension cord in there and a timer..."

I told her to just stop, it didn't matter what was in there because it wasn't the paper she told me it was. She said "it should burn up in there shouldn't it?"

I said "yep, it'll burn up", and went back outside to the peace and quiet of back breaking work.

We could get the Louisville folks together for a lunch somewhere, sometime. Of course, if anyone wanted to make a drive from Ashland or Evansville, they would be welcome as well. Hell, let's just open it up to Smith's Grove folks too.
Mike Linnigs is a good place.......they have outdoor and indoor dinning..........I would be up for anywhere........I have such a tight schedule that I am only available.........anytime........

Front yard is done. Got everything cleaned up and the tools are back in the shed. The back is about 4 times the amount of work as the front so it will have to wait for another day.

A story about today
by Bertfan31

I told my wife this morning that I would be doing yard work today and she said she wanted me to burn some things in the barrel. I told her that the wind was blowing too hard and I didn't want to smoke out the neighbors. Mainly because, like a good neighbor, I'm there.

She made a couple of remarks that basically went something like this, "screw the neighbors".

So any way, I've got this fire going and everything is going well. There was little to no smoke coming out of the chimney and in fact, flame was coming out of a 4 foot chimney.

I go about my business and I smelled something in the front yard. I went around the house to look at the barrel and black smoke was coming out hard. Like it was pulling 100 cars up an 8% grade.

I went back inside and asked her what was in the bags she wanted burned. She had told me, after I specifically asked her, that there was nothing in the bags but paper. Old bills, envelopes, and what not. She says "I think there was an extension cord in there and a timer..."

I told her to just stop, it didn't matter what was in there because it wasn't the paper she told me it was. She said "it should burn up in there shouldn't it?"

I said "yep, it'll burn up", and went back outside to the peace and quiet of back breaking work.
Just get a bag of marshmellows and a stick and throw it down out there.........when the FD arrives......tell them you are getting ready to make smores....

Mike Linnigs is a good place.......they have outdoor and indoor dinning..........I would be up for anywhere........I have such a tight schedule that I am only available.........anytime........
Mike's is fine with me. Haven't eaten there in about 3 years.

It's legal for me to have an open fire if I want to. I call the FD first like they say I should but they always show up because someone calls. If I burn a pile in the backyard it's usually fairly big.

edit to add; Monday and Friday are the best days for me.

Great minds think alike. After mowing 1/2 of one of the fields today I burned some brush, etc in the fire pit. But we really don't have any neighbors to bother....so fire it up. Every Spring we have a ton of brush, dead stuff from last year, sticks from trees, etc to burn. The Mrs always piles it all up in the fire pit as she's gathering it up...even though I've told her for years and years not to. More work for me...have to pull everything out before I even start. Anyway, all in ashes now other than a few decent size branches/logs.

Tilled about 1/2 of the garden. That wears me out. Got a big rear tine Husqavarna that is big, heavy, etc. And even though it self-propelled, it's still like hanging on to a bronking horse. Then got cleaned up and grilled some ribeyes, so I'm pooped.

Morning Legionnaires!

Going out fishing again this morning for a few hours then back to cut the grass. Really could wait for a few days to cut it but, rain in the forecast for the next 10 or so days. It will also give me an excuse to be outside for at least a couple of hours while the MIL is here.

Fell asleep on the couch and had a dream last night that I was attacked, (did not know him) and I got this guy on the ground and was punching him in the head. Woke up and i had my UK back support couch pillow (one with arms) in my hands and was punching one of the arms. About a week ago I was on the couch asleep and was in another altercation where I threw a side kick and I woke up with my leg off of the couch in a side kick position. I have done that a few times while in bed with my wife but luckily, the bed is big enough where I have missed. I have had dreams where she has actually had to wake me up from me yelling at whoever was in my dreams.

Anyone else have these type of dreams?

Fish for a different variety of fish. Bass are giving you not only fits, but nightmares.

Oh, I pray all's day is well. Been out with my Darling and grandson most of the day. God bless you and may you all know the feeling of a grandchild looking at you with all the love in the world. God bless you all...

Great minds think alike. After mowing 1/2 of one of the fields today I burned some brush, etc in the fire pit. But we really don't have any neighbors to bother....so fire it up. Every Spring we have a ton of brush, dead stuff from last year, sticks from trees, etc to burn. The Mrs always piles it all up in the fire pit as she's gathering it up...even though I've told her for years and years not to. More work for me...have to pull everything out before I even start. Anyway, all in ashes now other than a few decent size branches/logs.

Tilled about 1/2 of the garden. That wears me out. Got a big rear tine Husqavarna that is big, heavy, etc. And even though it self-propelled, it's still like hanging on to a bronking horse. Then got cleaned up and grilled some ribeyes, so I'm pooped.
The Director is a firebug......can't keep her out of a fire..........she has just got to poke at it for some reason........I have a Cub Cadet rear tine tiller......it is much bigger that what my gardens really need.........I can have the tines in reverse while the wheels are pulling forward........I have raised beds that were built out of compost.........think screened potting soil........with a fair amount of rock in it.........(watch out for loads of free dirt),,,,the reason for a large tiller is I just have to back it up and guide it.....I had a Troybuilt Pony tiller that some one done me the favor of stealing.........I called it, "little bucky"......the only thing I have left to plant is my sweet potato plants.......so maybe the Director and myself can go catch a mess of crappie........

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT