ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

I was fortunate enough to have a "hobby" of providing live event sound for about 10 years. It is another tech world that I love, love, love. I am just too old for that world, and I enjoyed the "lifestyle" a bit too much. lol
Was going to post about the audio as well when I saw your post. In my career I was in a round about way involved in what you mentioned. Fascinating work just based on the places I went, people I met, etc. Spent an entire day with Chicago, half a day with Pink Floyd including their pre-concert sound check, and so forth.
Was involved because of it with the building of the Georgia Dome. Had a vendor/construction pass, so I could go down at any time during the construction of it and walk/look around. My son at the time was about 10 or 12, and for 'Take your Son to Work Day' I took him down there (as I recall it was when it was built but not finished and they had a line of concrete trucks miles long and were pouring the 'field' that they would then put astro turf over). One of the guys we were talking to gave my son about a 3 foot section of the audio cable that they used to connect the speakers/sound system that they had ringed around/above the field. It was about 3-4 inches thick. Heavy and you couldn't hardly bend it.
He still has it. Last I heard he has it in his car in case he needs something like a club or a baseball bat.

Good morning! Alexa says it's 28°. We'll call that "brisk" just to be nice. I posted that last video because this guy explains science as well as anyone could I believe. I understand most of what he talks about but he makes me understand what I understand, if you understand.

Another great YouTube site is called Project Farm. Highly recommend this one because the guy thoroughly tests out about everything you could imagine in side by side comparison tests to tell which is the best in both performance and value. Here is an example...
I've seen a bunch of his videos. Particularly when he was testing Sea Foam for cleaning engines internally. The guy is sharp.

I went on a 3-week scuba expedition to England and Scotland with my ex, a few other Germans and an American back during the mid-80s. After unpacking and getting situated, we visited a pub near Harrogate, England. Once we ordered a pint, we sat down for planning our trip further north to Scotland.

Beer flowed pretty good. As we discussed our next move, in walks an elderly English gent, who overheard us speaking German.

"Germans!?!", he exclaimed. "Why are you here?", he asks. I told him we stopped for overnight on our way up north to Scotland. He starts screaming, "Gerries are back! Gerries are back!". Dude runs out the pub. Barmaid comes up to us and said don't mind him. He'd been captured by the Wehrmacht during WW2. Apparently, they roughed old boy up pretty bad as a POW.

Crazy stuff.
Austin -- That's a funny story. It reminds me of the classic scene in Fawlty Towers, a show I used to love, when Basil has German guests at his inn...Needless to say, you'd never get this on TV today.

My son who just moved to N'ville would open carry when he lived in Georgia. Not all the time but many....but he would almost always carry concealed.
Told me one time he was going to his car and a couple guys were hanging around (won't mention ethnicity). He has a new Benz...when they figured out which car he was headed to they started moving towards him. He took his jacket off......they scattered.

Yes Sir, I carry at times and hold a permit. It is situational but knowing I can is comforting. I don't take any greater risks due to that but it is comforting. My darling and I do a lot of hiking or getting away. When alone or isolated.... yep...

Last edited:
IP lawyer, is that for patent's?
Patents, copyright, trademarks, etc. there are five or six sub specialties tied to IP as I understand. It all gets really confusing and I might conflate a few things.

She really like stuff in cyber security and personal privacy fields. She does not have a science or engineering undergrad, so Patents is pretty much out for her.

Good morning D-League. Happy April Fools Day. Here in the Washington area we call it Government Business As Usual Day.

Beautiful sunny morning. I'm looking forward to the Reds getting back at their efforts to crack .500 for the season. That'd be a moral victory. And in their terrible division, it might keep them in contention.

I'm sure everyone remembers their first trip to a major league park. Mine was Crosley Field, 1962. I was only six, but it was so exciting I remember everything -- Reds were playing the Cubs, my father called my attention to Ernie Banks as a guy to watch, along with the Reds' Chico Cardenas (I was playing infield in Knothole.) The main thing, was the first minute we emerged from the shadowy tunnel into the light and I saw that green field laid out before me, with the Reds going through the rituals of batting practice. It really is the magic that never lets go, and keeps people fans for six decades, through dozens of miserable seasons.

I hope its a good day for all.

Good April 1st D League

Looked out the window and see we had some rain showers. Rain is always welcome down here, lots of it. We never complain about rain. It is going to bring some cool weather before Easter Day. After Easter you can put away your sweaters and settle in for some warm weather. Bring it on.

Right now it is a pleasant 68°, winds are NW at 5 mph and our high is going to be 70°. Tonight it is going to be in the 30's which is what we call cuddle weather down here.

On April 1, 1984, Marvin Gay was killed by his father. Shot 3 times in the chest. People thought it was an April Fools joke at first. But no he was dead.

I trust all have a good day

2081487.gif
I wish I could send you plenty of the rain we've had around here. Since January 1st, I've already accumulated 50.44 inches of rain at my house. Many places don't get that much in an entire year. I don't want to see another drop of rain for a very, very, very long time. When I walk in my front yard, I sink about two inches with each step from the saturated ground.

Good morning D-League. Happy April Fools Day. Here in the Washington area we call it Government Business As Usual Day.

Beautiful sunny morning. I'm looking forward to the Reds getting back at their efforts to crack .500 for the season. That'd be a moral victory. And in their terrible division, it might keep them in contention.

I'm sure everyone remembers their first trip to a major league park. Mine was Crosley Field, 1962. I was only six, but it was so exciting I remember everything -- Reds were playing the Cubs, my father called my attention to Ernie Banks as a guy to watch, along with the Reds' Chico Cardenas (I was playing infield in Knothole.) The main thing, was the first minute we emerged from the shadowy tunnel into the light and I saw that green field laid out before me, with the Reds going through the rituals of batting practice. It really is the magic that never lets go, and keeps people fans for six decades, through dozens of miserable seasons.

Opening day for MLB should be a designated American holiday.

I wish I could send you plenty of the rain we've had around here. Since January 1st, I've already accumulated 50.44 inches of rain at my house. Many places don't get that much in an entire year. I don't want to see another drop of rain for a very, very, very long time. When I walk in my front yard, I sink about two inches with each step from the saturated ground.
Rain down here is a little different than I experienced when I lived in North Georgia. Down here we can have full sunshine and rain will be pouring down. The sand soaks it up so fast, flooding is not common. Plus the lake behind our house and marshes can handle lots of rain. So we welcome it.

We are in our dry season now but come June 1, the start of hurricane season, we will get a whole lot of water falling from the sky in buckets.

Rain down here is a little different than I experienced when I lived in North Georgia. Down here we can have full sunshine and rain will be pouring down. The sand soaks it up so fast, flooding is not common. Plus the lake behind our house and marshes can handle lots of rain. So we welcome it.

We are in our dry season now but come June 1, the start of hurricane season, we will get a whole lot of water falling from the sky in buckets.
That makes sense with the sandy soil being able to process all the rain water. Around here, even with 2-3 inches of rain, it can become a flooding emergency in many areas. Maybe I need to pack my things and head to Florida? Do you think I can convince the rest of the family to head down there?

Some people that were six in 1962 are old. ........................ Not you though...

My son who just moved to N'ville would open carry when he lived in Georgia. Not all the time but many....but he would almost always carry concealed.
Told me one time he was going to his car and a couple guys were hanging around (won't mention ethnicity). He has a new Benz...when they figured out which car he was headed to they started moving towards him. He took his jacket off......they scattered.
I don't think I have lived in an area pro gun control. It sounds weird to me. Our local sheriffs encourage the public to carry and provide training through the department. They also open up the shooting range to the public with an onsite instructor for those who need that.

How anyone can think about keeping guns away from law abiding citizens is strange. Why would you want to do that?

@MdWIldcat55 .... ever heard of Jon Rappoport?
My brother sent me this article that he wrote about Biden. My 'bro used to stop and visit family on my mom's side in N.J. when he and his wife would go to Boston to see their son. It seems Jon Rappaport was married to their daughter....so that makes some type of cousin to me.

Patents, copyright, trademarks, etc. there are five or six sub specialties tied to IP as I understand. It all gets really confusing and I might conflate a few things.

She really like stuff in cyber security and personal privacy fields. She does not have a science or engineering undergrad, so Patents is pretty much out for her.
Just wondering, I have a patent, but never did anything with it.

@MdWIldcat55 .... ever heard of Jon Rappoport?
My brother sent me this article that he wrote about Biden. My 'bro used to stop and visit family on my mom's side in N.J. when he and his wife would go to Boston to see their son. It seems Jon Rappaport was married to their daughter....so that makes some type of cousin to me.

Colonel,

No, I hadn't come across Mr. Rappoport's blog before, but I found this piece quite amusing and insightful. I'll bookmark him. Thanks.

That makes sense with the sandy soil being able to process all the rain water. Around here, even with 2-3 inches of rain, it can become a flooding emergency in many areas. Maybe I need to pack my things and head to Florida? Do you think I can convince the rest of the family to head down there?
We will keep the light on for you. Listening to the radio this morning the Governor announced a $1,000 bonus for educators as an appreciation for working during COVID and keeping school open. Locally several counties announced no online teaching next year. Everyone must go to school.

Since he has become governor, in two short years the pay for public teachers has risen from 26th in the nation to 5th. Improving Florida schools has been a top priority and paying good money to teachers should help. I think the starting salary is about $50,000 a year which is not bad for a 22 year old young school teacher just out of college.

Conservative leadership means a better lifestyle for all.

That is cool. I have had a few ideas that I did not follow through on. Like most of us.

I think it is a huge achievement to even get a patent. Bravo Zulu!
Thanks ky1, my patent is in the physical therapy field, my D-I-L is a PT, so I am thinking about giving it to them, when I was granted the patent, we went with all the numbers and I was to old to go in debt that much!!! If I had been in my say 40's I would have tried it!!!!

Thanks ky1, my patent is in the physical therapy field, my D-I-L is a PT, so I am thinking about giving it to them, when I was granted the patent, we went with all the numbers and I was to old to go in debt that much!!! If I had been in my say 40's I would have tried it!!!!
Mine is a design patent for physical therapy.
Wow, great. Huge kudos.

We will keep the light on for you. Listening to the radio this morning the Governor announced a $1,000 bonus for educators as an appreciation for working during COVID and keeping school open. Locally several counties announced no online teaching next year. Everyone must go to school.

Since he has become governor, in two short years the pay for public teachers has risen from 26th in the nation to 5th. Improving Florida schools has been a top priority and paying good money to teachers should help. I think the starting salary is about $50,000 a year which is not bad for a 22 year old young school teacher just out of college.

Conservative leadership means a better lifestyle for all.
I really appreciate Ron DeSantis and what all he's doing. He is definitely not a "cookie-cutter" type of guy. He's not afraid to think and act differently than the fear mongering status quo.

Used to have to take ideas to the patent attorneys for review. I thought they had the worst job I could imagine looking thru old patents & needing to write new ones. Would have driven me nuts - a well-paid nuts.

Last edited:
Clarification for my earlier post. I mentioned her working for a Big Tech company.

For the record, it is NOT Twitter, FB, Amazon, or any of those types of bast......s.

Her future company actually designs and PRODUCES things of value—planes, motorized equipment, military equipment, etc.

I would have probably died if she went to Twitter or the like.

Dodged a bullet there. Literally. lol lol

Used to have to take ideas to the patent attorneys for review. I thought they had the worst job a could imagine looking thru old patents & needing to write new ones. Would have driven me nuts - a well-paid nuts.
She said there was NO way she could or would do patents—same sentiment as you.

I know we have one or two tax lawyers on here—the same idea for them. I don't know how they do that.

My very best friend is an ex FBI/Secret Service guy.........he said he wouldn't get caught without his gun in the city of Louisville........and he isn't the BS kind of guy......

Here is the story behind my patent. Never told this before. I am setting here looking at my patent docs.

When my MOTHER was in the nursing home, I went to visit her one day, she wasn't in her room, she was in PT. When I walked in the PTA was in the floor with one of those elastic bands helping my MOM with her foot. She had the band across MOM's foot holding the band with her hands on the floor. When she got up(the PTA) she was holding her back. I thought right then there has to be a better way. So I go home draw it up, tweak it a few times, take it back to the nursing, give it to the PTA, explained it to her and leave. The next time I go back I walk in my MOM is using the board, PTA is setting a chair doing her computer work. Time and money!

I went back again a couple weeks later and I am met by the director of the nursing home, he stops me and tells me, Steve you better take that board home before someone sees it, you have something there!!! So I take it home, the next time I go back, the PTA hunts me down and ask me if I would bring it back.

That's what started me trying to get it patented. I took it to my son and D-I-L's house, She it a PT and he was at the time a strength and conditioning coach, we put it to the test, they came up with 38 exercises that could be done with it. Most of the exercises can be done it the comfort of a chair!!!

That is my patent story to the D!

Huge realization for me happened with a BBC report I heard in France (Giens Peninsula) during week of 1986 World Cup final. Announcer discussed differences between American and British accents. A modern American accent from New England area (Mass/RI/CT) is apparently closer to older spoken dialect than modern British. It seems during mid-1800s, Brits jumped on this fad involving rolling "R's" in an attempt at sounding more sophisticated. The classic British accent evolved, whereas New England accents not so much. Interesting stuff. I also read similar accounts later on in other publications.
I love investigating the development of the English language. My understanding of Boston/NYC accents & today's Brit "Received Pronunciation" (RP) is somewhat different.

I read that it started in first half of 1700's in high Brit society as an intentional forced way of speaking to distinguish themselves from the masses. Of course everyone else wanted to imitate them & it gradually spread with the furthest flung places changing last - like the US colonies & our backwoods. When Independence happened, the accent transfer stopped with only partial conversion in even the biggest coastal cities - Boston & NYC. My great great aunt who was 20 when she immigrated here in 1818 was known for her "broad British accent" based on accounts of an event she was involved in. Net, it happened before the mid-1800's.

When you see any show set in pre-revolutionary times that uses Brit accents, it's historically incorrect. Shakespeare's accent was much more like ours than today's Brit one.

Here is the story behind my patent. Never told this before. I am setting here looking at my patent docs.

When my MOTHER was in the nursing home, I went to visit her one day, she wasn't in her room, she was in PT. When I walked in the PTA was in the floor with one of those elastic bands helping my MOM with her foot. She had the band across MOM's foot holding the band with her hands on the floor. When she got up(the PTA) she was holding her back. I thought right then there has to be a better way. So I go home draw it up, tweak it a few times, take it back to the nursing, give it to the PTA, explained it to her and leave. The next time I go back I walk in my MOM is using the board, PTA is setting a chair doing her computer work. Time and money!

I went back again a couple weeks later and I am met by the director of the nursing home, he stops me and tells me, Steve you better take that board home before someone sees it, you have something there!!! So I take it home, the next time I go back, the PTA hunts me down and ask me if I would bring it back.

That's what started me trying to get it patented. I took it to my son and D-I-L's house, She it a PT and he was at the time a strength and conditioning coach, we put it to the test, they came up with 38 exercises that could be done with it. Most of the exercises can be done it the comfort of a chair!!!

That is my patent story to the D!
Outstanding!

This morning's find at the car wash. All unopened. Big bag is red lentils. Considered bringing home and donating to a local food pantry, but let the items remain there.

167504371_10223662087800814_3388700991330194506_n.jpg
When I first got my dogs I would walk them 3-5 miles a day.......Every Friday I would see canned goods and dry goods laying along the sidewalks.......there is a grade school two blocks from us and a middle school several blocks away.......turns out they give those children food to take home for the weekend.......the kids throw it away instead of carrying it home.......our educators are being turned into babysitters and dieticians..really sad.....

My first majors game was also at Crosley - 1954. I just loved the outfield terrace. Reds played the BROOKLYN Dodgers. Dodgers were full of stars - Roy, Furillo, Hodges, Snyder (Pee Wee didn't play.). D's won 10-2. Only highlight was Klu rocketing a ball into the Moon Deck. Also attended 2nd last Crosley game in '70. Then I got married.

She said there was NO way she could or would do patents—same sentiment as you.

I know we have one or two tax lawyers on here—the same idea for them. I don't know how they do that.
Went to law school. Why?...cause I always, since a kid, wanted to be a 'lawyer'. When there, I thought I don't want be a defense lawyer 'cause I just couldn't defend someone who I thought/knew was guilty...and I couldn't be a prosecutor 'cause I couldn't prosecute someone who I thought/knew was not guilty. So that kind of left the other areas...corporate, personal, etc. Found that....to me...it was the most boring stuff I've ever been involved in.

Went to law school. Why?...cause I always, since a kid, wanted to be a 'lawyer'. When there, I thought I don't want be a defense lawyer 'cause I just couldn't defend someone who I thought/knew was guilty...and I couldn't be a prosecutor 'cause I couldn't prosecute someone who I thought/knew was not guilty. So that kind of left the other areas...corporate, personal, etc. Found that....to me...it was the most boring stuff I've ever been involved in.
Do you still practice? I cannot remember if you mentioned that part before.

My daughter did not go the defense/prosecution route for much the same reasons. She seems to like the research, writing and negotiating side a lot.

I know she does not care for the courtroom-litigation aspects either. Weird for a lawyer, I guess.

My ex-wife tried to talk me into Law School a couple of times. I do not have the attention span nor the rote memory skills for that work. At least what I perceived it to be at the time.

I suck at memorization. But I am pretty good at comprehension, correlation, analogies, and deduction (troubleshooting). And, I will talk your head off, so Instructor was a natural fit for me.

I am definitely a Teller, not a Speller, as my posts will attest to.

Awright, awright... Go ahead and laugh...

I was listening to someone about digging a post hole at the right time of the moon. At that time a person I was fond of told me in one of his events; "If you dug a post hole at the wrong time of the moon there wouldn't be enough dirt to go back in the hole. He stated that, if the moon could control the ocean it could suck dirt out of a post hole too." That person; Jerry Clower

Last edited:
Do you still practice? I cannot remember if you mentioned that part before.

My daughter did not go the defense/prosecution route for much the same reasons. She seems to like the research, writing and negotiating side a lot.

I know she does not care for the courtroom-litigation aspects either. Weird for a lawyer, I guess.

My ex-wife tried to talk me into Law School a couple of times. I do not have the attention span nor the rote memory skills for that work. At least what I perceived it to be at the time.

I suck at memorization. But I am pretty good at comprehension, correlation, analogies, and deduction (troubleshooting). And, I will talk your head off, so Instructor was a natural fit for me.

I am definitely a Teller, not a Speller, as my posts will attest to.
Never practiced. Makes a good decoration for the inside of a storage box (where it is I think).
Knew a couple of guys about that time who hung their own shingle, who then quit and went on to other things.
Corporate type law like your daughter is a different deal than going to work for a firm. Corporate type job, steady paycheck, benefits, etc. Too many told me that in a firm it was like selling insurance. Bring the $$$ in or you're out. And, private, like the guys I knew, is like starting up any other business...for most it's a hard go and many don't make it and go on to something else to pay the bills.

I don't think I have lived in an area pro gun control. It sounds weird to me. Our local sheriffs encourage the public to carry and provide training through the department. They also open up the shooting range to the public with an onsite instructor for those who need that.

How anyone can think about keeping guns away from law abiding citizens is strange. Why would you want to do that?
Democratic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT