ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

The above dates and posts I posted about a job interview. During my second interview, I blanked during a question I was asked. (I wondered why as I knew the answer well. It was a somewhat critical question. I never panic and this was not an occasion for pressure.) I did well otherwise. Hit a homer IMO except for when I blanked-out.

In any event:
(I found this out Thursday last week. My regular day off was this past Friday.)
I may have the chance to move to Florida. My job may allow this very soon. (I will actually be allowed to work from anywhere, even overseas.) Not finalized yet but further along than any of us knew until today.

God's ways are not our ways. I knew that already and could never imagine God's plan as he can make things happen that are unimaginable to my earthly mind.

I doubt we'd do anything until later this year but it was and is a desire my wife and I both have. (Moving to a better area for housing and to be nearer the ocean.)

My darling and I talked about it. I'd move to South Carolina where one of our homes is at and find another or build. The low- lying land is the drawback in my mind along with the minimal amenities of Asian style markets but they are there. (They don't call it the low country for nothing.)

I also have North Carolina in mind too just due to better changing seasons weather-wise but no family in the area.

Michigan is not an option now though many relatives there but weather....the snow....Nope. I will invite them to visit US...

Texas may not be a choice but considered the Galveston area but never lived there. No desire for San Antonio again though we still own a home there and am considering another one. No ocean...

Florida is a real possibility as my son lives there and one daughter likes it and one daughter may. Not sure of the best area in Florida.

Thought about Tampa, Destin, Panama City, and possibly Pensacola, or Jacksonville. I will have to do research and am in no rush but I'd need an area with a decent area for Asian type markets as my wife and I enjoy eating that way. (A decent Korean population.)

I know a couple of you know Florida and other areas. I don't converse with many but you all are a haven I enjoy and cherish.

I am blessed beyond measure. I didn't get that job I had a second interview a couple weeks ago BUT, I will state again, No MAN can take away from me what God has in store for me. This actually just transpired today. (I started writing this Thursday.)

My desire in applying for another job was location. It was never about the money. I like the job I do but I feel if I don't try to get a better job I am not doing due diligence as a provider and exceling.(I can do that in other ways too.)

My plan was to retire as soon as possible but if this works I can work longer where we decide to retire. I have this in mind as a last move but who knows.... To God be the glory, his ways are not our ways. Trust in the Lord and lean not to your own understanding. I know this and continually this is confirmed in my life. Amazing to me how this happens but not surprising!

I cannot tell you how many times God has provided for me EXACTLY on time and NEVER late. Thanks for reading in any event. I know this was a book but I condensed my feelings.

Who knows what tomorrow holds. I am thankful! I had to declare my blessings and give God the praise. Thank you for allowing me to indulge.

I have a good friend who bought a condo in Destin, this past year. They really like it.

Speaking of food, the D League is the best source of news. Now for my question. Do any of you have and use an Air Fryer? My wife brought one home a few weeks ago and I had never heard of such a thing. So I was skeptical. My idea of frying is a cast iron skillet with plenty of lard.

Well she cooked a few things with it and I was pleasantly surprised. It was not that bad. My favorite thing she fries in it is peanut butter and banana sandwiches.

Do you have any suggestions on food that work good in an air fryer.
We have had one for a few years. It is wonderful, I think.

I don't watch or listen to the news but I do listen to our little small town radio station in the morning as I do my computer stuff for a few hours, eat my grits and eggs and drink my coffee.

Today there has been nothing but good news. Locally. Florida was one of very few states to not shut down and of course the governor was blasted by the national media. They said our governor was killing people, nothing could be further from the truth but politics is politics. But now it is paying off big time. Our schools were not shut down and the students are doing well. Our unemployment rate is in the 4% range, by the end of the summer it is projected to be in the 3% range. The state has a huge surplus and the budget is going to be cut drastically to reflect that. So that means fewer taxes and more money in our pocket.

I love my governor. The man took the bullets and just did what he thought was best for the state. And now we see the results of strong leadership. Elections have consequences

In serious contemplation of where to move in Florida.

Oh, May God guide you to where you are needed today. May your actions impact others positively. Through you, may God give others hope. God Bless you...

Last edited:
Some foods over there are interesting. My first visit happened in 1984. Baked beans with sausage and eggs for breakfast required a little patience at first. Loved the sponge pudding, which our local grocery store now carries.

Must be multicultural.

[laughing]

Indeed. One thing to remember is Brits are normally just as amused with our takes on the English language as we are about theirs. I always loved their usage of "torch" for common "flashlight" while we think of some caveman holding a burning stick.
When the Mrs first got hooked on watching streaming British shows we would sit there trying to figure out at times what meant what. 'Torch' was one of them. 'Boot' was another....their name for our commonly known 'trunk' of a car.

Speaking of food, the D League is the best source of news. Now for my question. Do any of you have and use an Air Fryer? My wife brought one home a few weeks ago and I had never heard of such a thing. So I was skeptical. My idea of frying is a cast iron skillet with plenty of lard.

Well she cooked a few things with it and I was pleasantly surprised. It was not that bad. My favorite thing she fries in it is peanut butter and banana sandwiches.

Do you have any suggestions on food that work good in an air fryer.

Try re-fried, air-fried french fries. if you get an order of fries from mcdonalds (I rarely eat fast food but...) throw the un-eaten in the fridge. later when you want, put those fries in your air-fryer. makes the fries crisper and crunchier and actually evaporates some of the grease too... I like them.

Last edited:
It is 47.5°F but the temp is dropping tonight to a frosty 33°. Beginning around midnight we got 1.20 inches of rain dumped in two hours.

I suppose there is spring like weather next week. We can all hope so. My allergies are telling me a different story. Thing are having sex outside like a roman orgy.

[laughing]

Indeed. One thing to remember is Brits are normally just as amused with our takes on the English language as we are about theirs. I always loved their usage of "torch" for common "flashlight" while we think of some caveman holding a burning stick.
Lived there for 6 months in late-90's. Some of my favoUrite takes of their usage:
- Everything was brilliant. We'd say cool, neat, great.
- "Come to grief" where we'd say it's a dangerous/hazardous place/intersection/etc.
- "Mind you head" where we'd say watch your head. How do watch your head?
- Porridge for oatmeal, aubergine for eggplant.

When the Mrs first got hooked on watching streaming British shows we would sit there trying to figure out at times what meant what. 'Torch' was one of them. 'Boot' was another....their name for our commonly known 'trunk' of a car.
Same here. I love the UK culture and I really enjoyed the show "Escape to the Country". Those old houses are so different than ours.

Same here. I love the UK culture and I really enjoyed the show "Escape to the Country". Those old houses are so different than ours.
DW came over a couple of times & we made 10-14 days drives around England & Scotland. Really enjoyed. The Roman baths at Bath (duh) were quite interesting, particularly for DW. Her dad slept around the baths with his field medical unit for a few weeks waiting for the Normandy Invasion.

Last edited:
In serious contemplation of where to move in Florida.

Oh, May God guide you to where you are needed today. May your actions impact others positively. Through you may God give others hope. God Bless you...

Just got back from Florida looking at condos with a buddy. We were all over Ft. Myers, Punta Gorda, Port Charlotte and Venice. Used and new construction all over the place between $150-$250k. Was not ready to pull the trigger but lots of stuff down there. I believe I liked Port Charlotte and Venice more than the other two. Can fly into Ft. Myers or Punta Gorda.

Lived there for 6 months in late-90's. Some of my favoUrite takes of their usage:
- Everything was brilliant. We'd say cool, neat, great.
- "Come to grief" where we'd say it's a dangerous/hazardous place/intersection/etc.
- "Mind you head" where we'd say watch your head. How do watch your head?
- Porridge for oatmeal, aubergine for eggplant.
[laughing]

I also like "mind the gap" when a subway train comes in.

We are hooked on Brit Box. They have great family shows especially if you like murder mysteries. I am still amazed at law enforcement running around unarmed and actually talking murders into giving up and dropping their knife or gun. Amazing. Try that in Chicago.

Speaking of speech. As a child I lived in Eastern North Carolina (Goldsboro area) and the natives, especially farmers, used the term "boot" for the trunk of the car and also "bonnet" for the hood. They also cooked their food in the Old English way with heavy use of apple vinegar. Their BBQ sauce had vinegar, no ketchup, but hot red peppers. It became my favorite.

Eastern North Carolina has deep English roots compared to Western North Carolina which has Scot-Irish roots. Same state but a big culture difference.

Every time we watch those shows I wonder, does England have subdivisions like we do? Only thing I've seen close is more like housing projects/developments we have here that look like they were built in the 50s. Everything you see on British TV/movies is either a 300 year old thatch roofed country house of row houses in town.

And like you I love the UK culture, and how they embrace it and their history. Many British shows/movies of their history, 'period pieces'. Here in the US we don't do that. Hard to find shows/movies of the early 1900s, etc. Don't know if 'cancel culture within the studios is to blame or not, but I would love to see some 'period pieces' of the U.S. made. Can't even find a good western anymore.

Just got back from Florida looking at condos with a buddy. We were all over Ft. Myers, Punta Gorda, Port Charlotte and Venice. Used and new construction all over the place between $150-$250k. Was not ready to pull the trigger but lots of stuff down there. I believe I liked Port Charlotte and Venice more than the other two. Can fly into Ft. Myers or Punta Gorda.

Good to hear thanks,
I had a chance to buy into an apartment building years ago in Destin and didn't do it. (Wish I had, could have bought in for about 125k, I would have had to borrow some at that time to do it but it was a larger complex at the time.)(I actually lived in Radcliff, Ky at the time.)
We will want a ranch style home with some yard but are open. (Thinking something around 2k SF. with an attached garage, open to changes considering other amenities.) I doubt we would do the condo route in any event but that works for many. Thanks again! (My son lives in Gainesville but that is about out.)

Edit; I just looked up the area. I am thinking Tampa is about as far south as we'd like. In thinking about our likes too I am thinking on the Atlantic side nearer Jacksonville may be more to our liking. (Thinking the Atlantic fishing may be better. I have fished the gulf side a lot too and would have no issue with that (Warmer water.), just thinking out loud.)

Last edited:
[laughing]

I also like "mind the gap" when a subway train comes in.
Yeah, those foreign words can trip you up. When I was stuck in puritanical Saudi Arabia for a few months and every image of an attractive woman was banned -- while the local women wore black frocks head to toe -- I was suddenly excited to spot a magazine called BIMBO.

Alas, it was imported from Italy, where BIMBO means infant, and when I opened it up it was just a bunch of photos of little babies frolicking around -- cute, but not what I'd hoped for.

Edit; I just looked up the area. I am thinking Tampa is about as far south as we'd like. In thinking about our likes too I am thinking on the Atlantic side nearer Jacksonville may be more to our liking. (Thinking the Atlantic fishing may be better. I have fished the gulf side a lot too and would have no issue with that (Warmer water.), just thinking out loud.)
Florida is a very diverse state and it is 900 miles from Pensacola to Key West. Most people prefer the Gulf for fishing and beaches. But no matter where you live you are only at most 60 miles from the coast.

A county not far from where you son lives was named the best "retirement" areas in Florida and that is Citrus County. A famous baseball player made it his retirement home because he was an avid fisherman. He name was Ted Williams. The county has about 140,000 people and a very relaxed lifestyle. I posted a sample of a 2,000 SF home on about 1 acre of land for your reference.

https://www.chronicleonline.com/new...cle_67094fb8-c6b1-11ea-9c60-5f34b2c667a2.html

. . . .

We don't take the word of a fisherman. Geeze your credibility went out the window! 🤣

I lived 15 years in Jacksonville in two shifts. 1976-1984 and 1992-2000. Jacksonville is a good destination, just make sure that you purchase a house that is as close to being termite proof as possible. Our house that we bought in 1992 was in Hidden Hills Country Club. It was brand new and a wonderful place. Everything was fine until 1993 when the termites swarmed in the master bath. They had to drill the house every year until I left. Thank goodness I bought a termite bond.

Now they build houses out of form block and fill with concrete, so the termite has to get to the roof before they find food. Plus after Hurricane Andrew Florida's building codes have really been improved. Just make sure that the house is up to the new codes.

Took a 3 hour nap and now I'm good to go. Not going anywhere. Gonna do dishes and maybe a load of laundry. Feels like a movie day.

Hit balls at the range yesterday. didn't over do it. Just hit some 3/4 wedges. the back came through with flying colors. First of the week, I will hit some longer irons and try to work my way up to the Driver by the end of next week, if everything keeps going well.

No I don't, but it was real close to Crestwood, I remember crossing railroad tracks in Crestwood.
Gotcha. I know Crestwood pretty well

btw afternoon D
Hope all are well
Trying to post more but a little lost on the conversations right now lol

I don’t have an air fryer or an instapot
Have heard great things about both
I do a lot of baking and roasting

basketball was too difficult this year. Hoping to see some serious change.
here’s a question: would you rather let Gonzaga have an undefeated season (albeit with an asterisk) or have UCLA win #12?

ummmm...that’s all I got right now

We don't take the word of a fisherman. Geeze your credibility went out the window! 🤣

I lived 15 years in Jacksonville in two shifts. 1976-1984 and 1992-2000. Jacksonville is a good destination, just make sure that you purchase a house that is as close to being termite proof as possible. Our house that we bought in 1992 was in Hidden Hills Country Club. It was brand new and a wonderful place. Everything was fine until 1993 when the termites swarmed in the master bath. They had to drill the house every year until I left. Thank goodness I bought a termite bond.

Now they build houses out of form block and fill with concrete, so the termite has to get to the roof before they find food. Plus after Hurricane Andrew Florida's building codes have really been improved. Just make sure that the house is up to the new codes.

HA, I used to be in the bug business in Kentucky....

[laughing]

My favorite is....the Gorger.........he has the license from the queen to irrigate your crops from wells located on the property.......his only job is to mind the irrigation systems.....or how in the hell did they come up with hasty pudding for a damn dinner roll..........

btw afternoon D
Hope all are well

here’s a question: would you rather let Gonzaga have an undefeated season (albeit with an asterisk) or have UCLA win #12?

I tried baking when I first built my wood oven out back........I was quickly turning into a 500lb man so I decided to give up baking........although\...........I did throw together a nice pineapple upside down cake in my cast iron bundt pan......last week.......

We would go to the Car Boot......folks just sell stuff out of the back of their car like a flea market......If I was going to move......it would be to England..........

Good to hear thanks,
I had a chance to buy into an apartment building years ago in Destin and didn't do it. (Wish I had, could have bought in for about 125k, I would have had to borrow some at that time to do it but it was a larger complex at the time.)(I actually lived in Radcliff, Ky at the time.)
We will want a ranch style home with some yard but are open. (Thinking something around 2k SF. with an attached garage, open to changes considering other amenities.) I doubt we would do the condo route in any event but that works for many. Thanks again! (My son lives in Gainesville but that is about out.)

If you are thinking the Atlantic side, I would look at the St. Augustine area.

I tried baking when I first built my wood oven out back........I was quickly turning into a 500lb man so I decided to give up baking........although\...........I did throw together a nice pineapple upside down cake in my cast iron bundt pan......last week.......

Man awf, I have my homemade biscuits down now. My last batch was where I wanted them. We don't eat a lot of bread. I DO love home made biscuits like my Aunt Mildred used to make before I entered the service. She could have those in the oven in less than ten minutes and they were to die for. I never will forget them.

Mine are no where near hers and never will be but my oldest daughter stated she liked them now and even my wife ate one. I am going to make some more in a couple days and add some shredded sharp cheddar cheese. I have gained a couple pounds in the last few weeks but we have been out to eat a lot lately.

My Darling and I are going to the Commissary on Ft. Belvoir. My Grandson's birthday is this Saturday and my Darling wants to buy some more Beef ribs...

btw afternoon D
Hope all are well

My hope is that Gonzaga dispatches UCLA, and Baylor takes down the Zags in the final game.

btw afternoon D
Hope all are well

Easy. I will be a Gonzaga fan big time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT