ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

I meant that maybe someone at a local station would have a copy that was made at the station. And you're right, someone who just worked at a station wouldn't have been able to afford one at the house.

My dad had one of these. It was in either an Admiral or Curtis Mathis, but that wasn't the name of the recorder. Looked it up and it was called Cartrivision. Only lasted a couple of years. He bought it in about '73 or '74 and as I recall it was a bear to operate. Quality wasn't very good and the recording time for a tape was only maybe an hour (or less). I think he only used it a few times. But that was my dad...he had a very high end movie camera and to my knowledge never got the film developed 😊
3050535-inline-i-4-how-cartrivision-foresaw-and-forfeited-the-time-shifted-future.jpg

We had a combo that was a Zenith. Sound was terrible.

Awesome gent. He still live in San Antonio area?

I am looking at buying another house in SA. Just outside of that ignorant school district (School taxes in that district made me sell my home there. It was a heck of a rental but they were raising taxes nearing $500.00 a year. (99% of that was that school district my daughter graduated from.) (Taxes were over 8k a year on that house I originally bought for 189k. Just stupid.) Am looking in a newer subdivision nearer Lackland. Texas (In the SA area anyway doesn't have a state tax but they have every other type of tax known to mankind and a couple mankind hasn't fully come to understand. Bexar county for you.) Stopping my rant. I wanted to keep that house too. heck of a builder.

I am looking at buying another house in SA. Just outside of that ignorant school district (School taxes in that district made me sell my home there. It was a heck of a rental but they were raising taxes nearing $500.00 a year. (99% of that was that school district my daughter graduated from.) (Taxes were over 8k a year on that house I originally bought for 189k. Just stupid.) Am looking in a newer subdivision nearer Lackland. Texas (In the SA area anyway doesn't have a state tax but they have every other type of tax known to mankind and a couple mankind hasn't fully come to understand. Bexar county for you.) Stopping my rant. I wanted to keep that house too. heck of a builder.
My "mentor" in life, last name Carrion, earned a Silver Star for valor in Vietnam and endured horrible bullying/racism, grew up and currently lives in SATX. He stands about 5'6". Taught high school ROTC for many years down there. Earned numerous honors. Amazing man. He was my 1SG years ago. His son retired as a CSM.

I really should link back up with him. I lost contact after suffering those strokes. Looking to reestablish. SATX is a nice area. Gonna get back down there soon.

Last edited:
I meant that maybe someone at a local station would have a copy that was made at the station. And you're right, someone who just worked at a station wouldn't have been able to afford one at the house.

My dad had one of these. It was in either an Admiral or Curtis Mathis, but that wasn't the name of the recorder. Looked it up and it was called Cartrivision. Only lasted a couple of years. He bought it in about '73 or '74 and as I recall it was a bear to operate. Quality wasn't very good and the recording time for a tape was only maybe an hour (or less). I think he only used it a few times. But that was my dad...he had a very high end movie camera and to my knowledge never got the film developed 😊
3050535-inline-i-4-how-cartrivision-foresaw-and-forfeited-the-time-shifted-future.jpg
I loved Curtis Mathes commercials. Marketed as "The most expensive television set in America". I agree, those TVs were made to last. Sorry for the fuzzy video.

1985 Curtis Mathes commercial - YouTube

Good morning from ATX. Currently 57°F, raining with occasional quarter-sized hail. After this front moves through, we're looking at clear skies and 76°F for our high. More rain coming over this weekend. We need more.

Curtis Mathes TVs: Wow, blast from the past. Moving any large TV was challenging back then.

Apparently, forum upgrades happened overnight. The box in which you write a post may look different, depending on browser. Bah! It's too early.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

03-25-lobster-newburg-day.jpg

Good morning from ATX. Currently 57°F, raining with occasional quarter-sized hail. After this front moves through, we're looking at clear skies and 76°F for our high. More rain coming over this weekend. We need more.

Curtis Mathes TVs: Wow, blast from the past. Moving any large TV was challenging back then.

Apparently, forum upgrades happened overnight. The box in which you write a post may look different, depending on browser. Bah! It's too early.

Yeah, my font color on the rivals dark makes it harder to read and I forgot how to change the font color. Help an old soldier out here, how do I do it.

I agree, it's too early for something new.

Temp in the low 40s and moving on up to high 50s with rain coming in this afternoon. Looking at the radar it's all in W. Ky, Tn on down to TX. We'll get some of Austin's weather later today.

The Mrs. was watching a comedy show on Netflix last night of a guy I had never heard/seen before. But since I don't watch late night TV, etc I can see how someone can slip by me. Guys name is Nate Bargatze I think. Very funny guy....clean comedy which is a rarity. Had a funny bit about a family wedding in Louisville. If you're in the mood for a few chuckles....look him up.

The Mrs is going up to N. Ohio with a friend to pick up some turkeys and ducks. 😲 Her friend raises them for the county fair later in the Summer. Long ways to go for some birds.....but I guess this place is like a dog breeder.....the birds are registered with papers. Who would have thunk it. Maybe @awf can clue me in.

Good day to all.

Yeah, my font color on the rivals dark makes it harder to read and I forgot how to change the font color. Help an old soldier out here, how do I do it.

TerribleDecentFiddlercrab-size_restricted.gif

Click the three dots three places to the right of the B Then... Click the first icon on the second row on the left..

Edit: If you click on your account icon and then click preferences it gives you some font and color options too.

If not, I'd blast...

Oh; May your day be void of danger and my God's guiding hand keep you safe in all you do. God Bless you all!

Last edited:
Good morning D League and a good morning it is.

The weather report.

We have 69° with winds SE at 6 mph and the humidity is a pleasant 86%. Our UV Index is 1 of 10 but Ole Mr Sun ain't all the way out yet.

By mid afternoon we will hit 87° and winds will increase SSW to 14 mph and humidity drop to 49% and the UV Index will be 8 of 10. You can get a nice tan if you are so inclined. Meanwhile I have two trees to spray and and few empty flower pots that need filling so I am headed off to the nursery this morning to see what they have down there.

I have not tried these and they might look good mixed with some yellow, orange and red flowers. You just never know. It should liven up the patio or as the real estate people call it, lanai since it has a roof and open walls. Ah it is good to be able to work outside and breathe that good Gulf air.

Ocean Black Moon Vinca Flowers​

Trust all have a great day the Lord has made.

il_1588xN.1467027018_tbm6.jpg

Good morning D, storming here in the Berg, hearing some thunder.

Got to go to wallyworld here in a few to pick up meds, my every three months trip there!!!!

Well Mrs. M said I look like a Chia pet this morning, so I go from a baby Orangutan to a chia pet, said she will give me a haircut tonight!!! Nothing like having a great wife to build your self esteem!!!!

WC I saw where you like Duluth clothes, when you order do they come close to the right size? My son buys them all the time.

Also I am trying to find the best walking shoe, I like Skechers, would like your opinion on a good one.

I hope the D has a great day and Prayers for the D!!!!

Got to go to wallyworld here in a few to pick up meds, my every three months trip there!!!!

Well Mrs. M said I look like a Chia pet this morning, so I go from a baby Orangutan to a chia pet, said she will give me a haircut tonight!!! Nothing like having a great wife to build your self esteem!!!!

WC I saw where you like Duluth clothes, when you order do they come close to the right size? My son buys them all the time.

Also I am trying to find the best walking shoe, I like Skechers, would like your opinion on a good one.

My recommendation for walking shoes are New Balance 577, which are assembled in the USA. Comfortable. Well-made. I wear out 2 pair every 12-18 months.

I'll second Austin's recommendation for New Balance. I've been buying the 877 for the past few years with no complaints. I walk on average 5 miles a day and they hold up nicely with good support. I had to quit jogging 5 years ago due to knee problems. Over 4 decades of running on pavement took it's toll even with 45 years of weight training. I probably broke form because to be honest I HATED jogging. When my knees started getting sore I could have kissed the ground. Now I really enjoy my walks with my dog.

Good morning D-League. Back from a morning walk.

The local papers are filled with forecasts for the return of the 17-year Cicadas here in the DC area. I'll be the first to admit to a mild insect phobia, strong enough that I hate the damn things.

Contemplating their return is cause for reflection. The first time I saw them, in 1970, in a town of 900 people surrounded by woods in rural Campbell County, I was 14, and it seemed like God's original plague on the Egyptians. There appeared to be billions of them swarming our little town. The sing-song noise they make was eerie and they landed in your hair, on your clothes. Disgusting.

I got to miss them the second time they came, in the late 1980s, because I was in Central and South America most of that summer, when I was 31, single and totally fixated on work.

By the third time they came, I was into middle-age, a father of three, and I took my kids out to see them and experience the weirdness of it. I remember especially my four-year old son who shares my bug loathing being freaked out.

Now they are coming back. I'm close to retirement, a grandfather with three grown kids. The youngest is 21, home working and taking his UK classes remotely because of COVID.

A whole life defined by four cycles of creepy bugs.

I'll second Austin's recommendation for New Balance. I've been buying the 877 for the past few years with no complaints. I walk on average 5 miles a day and they hold up nicely with good support. I had to quit jogging 5 years ago due to knee problems. Over 4 decades of running on pavement took it's toll even with 45 years of weight training. I probably broke form because to be honest I HATED jogging. When my knees started getting sore I could have kissed the ground. Now I really enjoy my walks with my dog.
Thanks 82, last year I had gotten up to 2 miles a day when I walk by myself in the mornings, then me and Mrs. M would go out in the evening after she got off work. I really enjoy walking, but sometimes my two new hips tell me otherwise!!!! I guess at 69 3/4 I still do pretty good, carpet laying really took it's toll on me!!!!

Amen brother.

I have lived in two states without state income taxes; Florida and Texas. In both those states the property tax was out the ceiling.

My property taxes in Jacksonville, FL was $4,200 in the year 1999. I retired in 2000 to Kentucky and bought a similarly priced house. My Kentucky property taxes were around $1,000. Kentucky's State income tax is 5% but you get all the standard deductions. You do not get deductions on property taxes.

In the 20 years in Kentucky since my retirement I have payed about $1,000 in state income taxes, total. That is less than $50 a year.

I have lived in Kentucky, North Carolina, Indiana, Texas, Maryland and Florida. Kentucky's tax structure is the best of all those states based on total taxes.

My wife has a Dr. appointment in mid September, in Philly, and we are going to head up to Boston, and go up the coast to Maine, maybe onto Halifax, before returning home. When we go to Philly, we stay over by the convention center, and walk over to Macy's. I really enjoy hearing the Wannamaker Organ.
The Mrs has been after me for a year or two to take a trip up to New England. She's never been up there, so I guess one of these days we'll take off. Have a nephew who lives outside Boston in the country outside a small town so I could see him.

Really some pretty country up there. In my career I made a number of biz trips to Bath, Maine.....U.S. Naval shipbuilding. Back then it was called Bath Iron Works but now I think it's General Dynamics. Always enjoyed a seaside restaurant with fresh seafood and lobster. Then coming back down the highway from Bath to Portland to the airport, I would stop in Freeport, the home of LL Bean and pick something up. Huge store there, and I think it's still there. Like a Bass Pro Shop, only I think Bean had the concept and built the store before Bass.

Good morning D-League. Back from a morning walk.

The local papers are filled with forecasts for the return of the 17-year Cicadas here in the DC area. I'll be the first to admit to a mild insect phobia, strong enough that I hate the damn things.

Contemplating their return is cause for reflection. The first time I saw them, in 1970, in a town of 900 people surrounded by woods in rural Campbell County, I was 14, and it seemed like God's original plague on the Egyptians. There appeared to be billions of them swarming our little town. The sing-song noise they make was eerie and they landed in your hair, on your clothes. Disgusting.

I got to miss them the second time they came, in the late 1980s, because I was in Central and South America most of that summer, when I was 31, single and totally fixated on work.

By the third time they came, I was into middle-age, a father of three, and I took my kids out to see them and experience the weirdness of it. I remember especially my four-year old son who shares my bug loathing being freaked out.

Now they are coming back. I'm close to retirement, a grandfather with three grown kids. The youngest is 21, home working and taking his UK classes remotely because of COVID.

A whole life defined by four cycles of creepy bugs.
They do drone like crazy and they fly into everything that gets into the way.

My son just moved to Nashville for his job. He was talking about no state income taxes, but we both agreed that they get you in a lot of other ways.
Tennessee has high sales taxes and high property taxes. They have to to make up for not having state income taxes.

My son used to live in Franklin, KY. On I-65 out of Tennessee it is milepost 2. Right off I-65 there was a WalMart. Three fourths of all cars were from Tennessee because Kentucky's sales tax is 6% and they do not charge tax on foods and drugs. In Tennessee they rape you on sales taxes.

When I worked for CSX we had a contract with Hilton for $100 a night. One night in Nashville and my bill would be over $150. The $100 for the room rent and the rest taxes.

Tennessee has high sales taxes and high property taxes. They have to to make up for not having state income taxes.

My son used to live in Franklin, KY. On I-65 out of Tennessee it is milepost 2. Right off I-65 there was a WalMart. Three fourths of all cars were from Tennessee because Kentucky's sales tax is 6% and they do not charge tax on foods and drugs. In Tennessee they rape you on sales taxes.

When I worked for CSX we had a contract with Hilton for $100 a night. One night in Nashville and my bill would be over $150. The $100 for the room rent and the rest taxes.
That's one of the things we talked about .... when making a large purchase, or fairly large, it would be worth the drive up to Ky to avoid the sales tax. Think he told me that sales tax was 10%? Don't remember exactly and I'm sure every county is different....and probably going up due to COVID.

Got a friend that owns a carpet company and he's the same way. Even though as his company grew he quit installing and contracted out, the years early on did enough damage to his knees and hips.
I can't imagine 'kicking' those stretchers all day year after year.
I am not as bad as most installers, I did use the kickers, but I also used a stretcher. The kicker, I just moved the carpet around with, the stretcher I really put the tension on the carpet! After I got done you could go to the middle of the room and try to pick the carpet up with your fingers, not after I got done!!!!! I have seen it where you could pick the carpet up big time in the middle!!!!

When I worked for CSX we had a contract with Hilton for $100 a night. One night in Nashville and my bill would be over $150. The $100 for the room rent and the rest
I am sure you have done the Homestead Act thing

Temp in the low 40s and moving on up to high 50s with rain coming in this afternoon. Looking at the radar it's all in W. Ky, Tn on down to TX. We'll get some of Austin's weather later today.

The Mrs. was watching a comedy show on Netflix last night of a guy I had never heard/seen before. But since I don't watch late night TV, etc I can see how someone can slip by me. Guys name is Nate Bargatze I think. Very funny guy....clean comedy which is a rarity. Had a funny bit about a family wedding in Louisville. If you're in the mood for a few chuckles....look him up.

The Mrs is going up to N. Ohio with a friend to pick up some turkeys and ducks. 😲 Her friend raises them for the county fair later in the Summer. Long ways to go for some birds.....but I guess this place is like a dog breeder.....the birds are registered with papers. Who would have thunk it. Maybe @awf can clue me in.

Good day to all.
The best way I can describe it is...........quality.............people who raise pedigree stock tend to have better quality animals........

I grew up with a Bargatze family in Louisville........the one that I went to school with played FB for Vandy back in the early 70's.......

Yeah, so far they have fit like a charm except one pair of regular slacks and that might have been an anomaly. That is all I wear these days. On occasion while lounging I wear sweats but, anywhere I go it's Duluth Flex Fire Hose pants unless I am fishing or doing yard work then, it is dry-on-the-fly pants and shirts. The Flex Fire Hose allow incredible flexibility and I have used them on occasion when teaching Karate (forgetting to take Gi with me to class). Also wear the armachillo and buck naked underwear plus socks. I am sold on the Duluth brand because they are so comfortable. Expensive though.

As far as shoes, I wear KURU brand because of Plantar Fasciitis. Don't know much about sketchers but, I do know that New Balance is pretty good for all kinds of shoes. They have specified shoes for all kinds of people and activities.

The best way I can describe it is...........quality.............people who raise pedigree stock tend to have better quality animals........

I grew up with a Bargatze family in Louisville........the one that I went to school with played FB for Vandy back in the early 70's.......
That Bargatze family may very well be his relatives. Me mentioned in his comedy concert that he was a Vandy fan, but didn't go into details. Talked of a crazy aunt/uncle at the Louisville wedding.
If you don't have Netflix I saw where he has a YouTube channel of some of his videos. Funny guy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT