ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Good morning from ATX. We're at 56°F and clear. Today's high reaching 78°F followed by more much-needed rain late this evening.

Lady Cats really stunk it up yesterday. Ugh! Hawkeye girls shot the lights out. Nice passing. They played great team ball.

Happy Hump Day!

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

Phillys-Best-Celebrates-National-Cheesesteak-Day-on-March-24.jpg

Whoa baby, I can do a cheesesteak anything... throw some green peppers, mushrooms, and onions on that with a good shot of black pepper and you have a serious meal.

Oh, Be comforted in knowing that God is still in control. God's spirit does not always strive with man as we are witnessing this first hand strictly due to the un-Godly acts and sheer inhumane actions on so many fronts. May this country fall to it's knees as one in the realization that God is still God and worthy to be praised. This country's greatness comes from God's favor, it seems we have lost that of our own choosing, may we come back to God and soon. God has not moved! May it start with me. God Bless you all and your families!

Last edited:
Just had a pbj for breakfast and washed it down with about 8oz of vitamin D fortified whole milk. It's good to be a grup when you can eat anything you want whenever you want. It's not so good to pay the price for it though.

In case you don't see it in the msm, the dude that shot up Boulder was born in Syria. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Just had a pbj for breakfast and washed it down with about 8oz of vitamin D fortified whole milk. It's good to be a grup when you can eat anything you want whenever you want. It's not so good to pay the price for it though.

In case you don't see it in the msm, the dude that shot up Boulder was born in Syria. Nothing to see here. Move along.
Mrs. M adds bananas and bacon to hers!!

Seems as though there's a huge air mass hovering over the land. We all have about the same temp to start the day. 56 here in the Buckeye State with some rain expected later on. Grass is green and starting to grow so it won't be long till I get the mowers from the shed...do an oil change, etc.

I'm with BBUK ... give me one of those Cheesesteaks!! Maybe two....I imagine one is enough.
Anyone had the Philly Cheesesteaks there in Philly? Can't remember the names....right across the intersection from each other. Yummmmm.

I ran around Iroquois quite a bit when I was a kid in the 60's. I might have found one of your golf balls. I also ran around with Eddie's kids every so often. Usually when their block would play our block in football, basketball, or whiffle ball.

This was around 1963-64, and kids could play all day for one rate. My Dad would drop me off on his way to work, which was Sears, downtown, next to the L&N station. I would eat lunch in the clubhouse, and play all day. Then, he would pick me up on his way home from work. Did this about 3 days a week, and when the weather co-operated. It was a great summer for me, and there are a lot worse places for kids to be, than on the golf course, all day.

Seems as though there's a huge air mass hovering over the land. We all have about the same temp to start the day. 56 here in the Buckeye State with some rain expected later on. Grass is green and starting to grow so it won't be long till I get the mowers from the shed...do an oil change, etc.

I'm with BBUK ... give me one of those Cheesesteaks!! Maybe two....I imagine one is enough.
Anyone had the Philly Cheesesteaks there in Philly? Can't remember the names....right across the intersection from each other. Yummmmm.

They say the absolute best are where you probably mentioned, but I haven't been able to locate them when I have been in Philly. I do like the ones at one of the lunch counters in the Reading Terminal Market. Can't remember the name, but it is close to the Amish bakery goods, which is also a favorite of mine. The whoopie pies are the best I have ever eaten

Last edited:
This was around 1963-64, and kids could play all day for one rate. My Dad would drop me off on his way to work, which was Sears, downtown, next to the L&N station. I would eat lunch in the clubhouse, and play all day. Then, he would pick me up on his way home from work. Did this about 3 days a week, and when the weather co-operated. It was a great summer for me, and there are a lot worse places for kids to be, than on the golf course, all day.
When I was a kid my parents had a good friend who was head groundskeeper at a country club. Plus knew a number of people who were members. He (the family friend) would many times during the Summer let us in and we would roam the course and the club. He had two kids about my age. As I got older I thought how strange that was in that he would do that. Letting kids (3rd and 4th grade) roam a private country club....guess we never bothered anybody or did any damage otherwise I'm sure some members would have complained.
Had a lot of fun.

When I was a kid my parents had a good friend who was head groundskeeper at a country club. Plus knew a number of people who were members. He (the family friend) would many times during the Summer let us in and we would roam the course and the club. He had two kids about my age. As I got older I thought how strange that was in that he would do that. Letting kids (3rd and 4th grade) roam a private country club....guess we never bothered anybody or did any damage otherwise I'm sure some members would have complained.
Had a lot of fun.

There are some kids that fish in the ponds at our club. They are there, a lot, but I seldom see them catch anything.

Isn't it amazing how when a black person is killed in a random act of violence, there is an outcry against hate crimes, and social injustice. Same thing when an Asian-American is involved. When Caucasians are slain, like in the Boulder, CO shooting, there is no outcry for tolerance between races. The only thing you hear is "gun control."

Yeah, my Darling, the kids and I before my grandchildren were born but they were along for the ride made a trip to Philadelphia my kids had to eat those and I guess it was okay but I am a grease watcher and those along with the fries had way too much grease. I'd rather my darlings version...

Yes, this is it... (Real sobering to me... yeah, LIBERTY!!!)

67912771_2806873919326170_970779762718932992_o.jpg

This too...

My Babies... 34, 28, 35 (Ages then...)

164429706_4321908214489392_7133179071051524920_n.jpg

Last edited:

Same thing as a young un. Remember playing for 25 or 50 cents. Grab a hot dog and coke then make another loop.

The weekend last year just before COVID shut everything down, my wife woke up Saturday morning at said, "Let's go to Philly for the day." It's only a little more than a two-hour drive for us. We ended up staying until Sunday. We had Cheese Steaks at both Pat's and Geno's, the two famous spots. I really like Philly. If you enjoy art at all, one place that's under-appreciated is the Barnes Gallery. Terrific impressionism collections.

Saw a interesting post in RR. Should Bama beat UCLA in the Sweet 16, it will be the first time since 1959 that nome of the blue bloods (UK, UCLA, Duke, North Carolina or Kansas) make the Elite Eight. Once again a example of how an outlier this season has been.
o_O

Sounds about right. Historically speaking, this season is definitely an outlier from a UK men's basketball perspective.

The weekend last year just before COVID shut everything down, my wife woke up Saturday morning at said, "Let's go to Philly for the day." It's only a little more than a two-hour drive for us. We ended up staying until Sunday. We had Cheese Steaks at both Pat's and Geno's, the two famous spots. I really like Philly. If you enjoy art at all, one place that's under-appreciated is the Barnes Gallery. Terrific impressionism collections.
Was accepted at Penn and decided that it would be a good idea to at least see the campus, etc before starting school. Went......and hated Philadelphia. So, change of plans.
But, that also shows how people change as they age, etc. Didn't like Philly 'cause all I thought is that it's old.
I'm sure over the years many of the areas that were bad have been revitalized and are now the hip go-to places to live or for entertainment. Today, as much as I love everything old/historical, I'd probably love it.

Was accepted at Penn and decided that it would be a good idea to at least see the campus, etc before starting school. Went......and hated Philadelphia. So, change of plans.
But, that also shows how people change as they age, etc. Didn't like Philly 'cause all I thought is that it's old.
I'm sure over the years many of the areas that were bad have been revitalized and are now the hip go-to places to live or for entertainment. Today, as much as I love everything old/historical, I'd probably love it.
Penn is a fine school. Few get accepted.

Colonel - A good friend of mine is a Penn grad. He's taken me to basketball games at the Palestra - fantastic experience. I loved the Penn campus.

And I really like the city. Three years ago, my wife ran the Philadelphia marathon, and we stayed for about three days bracketing that. (she finished despite a nasty fall. You can barely see a busted lip and what became a black eye in this pic. And note the UK hat!) Some beautiful neighborhoods. Incredible history, which is an interest of mine.

Last edited:
Good morning D League. A pleasant morning and day in store for those of us down here.
It is currently 53°, with winds SE at 4 mph and humidity a pleasant 93%. Our UV Index is 0 of 10. Our temperature will reach 74° and the winds will pick up to WSW at 9 mph and humidity drop to 61%. As the sun comes out the UV Index will increase to 5 of 10.

We had a nice day trip down to Lakeland yesterday and a good visit with family. Went downtown and had a excellent meal at Harry's Seafood Bar and Grill. The Shrimp and Grits were very good. They did them a little different and it was delicious.

Today will be a good day for the beach. No masks required

sheraton-sand-key-resort.jpg
Speaking of shrimp, have you seen this:

Isn't it amazing how when a black person is killed in a random act of violence, there is an outcry against hate crimes, and social injustice. Same thing when an Asian-American is involved. When Caucasians are slain, like in the Boulder, CO shooting, there is no outcry for tolerance between races. The only thing you hear is "gun control."
We were just talking about this very subject at work. The media was in such a hurry to blame it on a white person, that they forgot to see what race the shooter was.

@Bert Higginbotha do you know if richie curtis has the 1975 iu-kentucky elite 8 game?
I can answer that, as I deal with Ritchie some and have asked about that game.

It's a little complicated.

There is no NETWORK copy of that game that has ever surfaced. NBC, incredibly, taped over all games except the Final Four from that era. I actually had an acquaintance years back who worked with ESPN Classic. They did a lot of research on that game and never found a copy.

What Ritchie does have, and I think it is worth a look, is a SCOUT video Kentucky's athletic department made, with Cawood's call superimposed. I have a copy, and find it enjoyable to watch. All one stationary camera, but you can follow the action. Someone edited in a few highlights of the network broadcast that exist.

As for ever getting a copy of the network feed: That's the Holy Grail to me. I've searched for it every chance I've had and never found one. Home VCRs were brand new in that era. Very few people had any way to record a broadcast. But in a country of a couple hundred million people (in 1975) it is possible somebody did make a recording, and forgot about it. If it ever surfaces, it'd be like finding a piece of the True Cross to Kentucky basketball junkies.

Last edited:

There is no NETWORK copy of that game that has ever surfaced. NBC, incredibly, taped over all games except the Final Four from that era. I actually had an acquaintance years back who worked with ESPN Classic. They did a lot of research on that game and never found a copy.

What Ritchie does have, and I think it is worth a look, is a SCOUT video Kentucky's athletic department made, with Cawood's call superimposed. I have a copy, and find it enjoyable to watch. All one stationary camera, but you can follow the action. Someone edited it a few highlights of the network broadcast that exist.

As for ever getting a copy of the network feed: That's the Holy Grail to me. I've searched for it every chance I've had and never found one. Home VCRs were brand new in that era. Very few people had any way to record a broadcast. But in a country of a couple hundred million people (in 1975) it is possible somebody did make a recording, and forgot about it. If it ever surfaces, it'd be like finding a piece of the True Cross to Kentucky basketball junkies.
Damn! that hurts. NBC was stupid.

What Ritchie does have, and I think it is worth a look, is a SCOUT video Kentucky's athletic department made, with Cawood's call superimposed. I have a copy, and find it enjoyable to watch. All one stationary camera, but you can follow the action. Someone edited in a few highlights of the network broadcast that exist.

it’s incredible we can watch the titles won in the FORTIES and FIFTIES but not a regional final from 1975. What a blunder by NBC.

National coverage of the NCAA tournament was a new thing in the 1970s. Here's a excerpt from the history of broadcasting the tournament, with my bold italics added that shows 1975 was the first year the regional finals were even televised nationally, instead of by region:

"In 1973, the NCAA moved the Final Four to a Saturday/Monday format. For the first time, NBC televised both national semifinals nationally on Saturday afternoon. NBC aired the championship game in prime time on Monday night and stopped covering the consolation game. ..

In 1975, NBC expanded its opening Saturday coverage to a tripleheader. NBC also expanded its regional finals coverage to a tripleheader (with one timeslot featuring regional coverage of two games). So each market got to see three of the four regional finals. Also, in 1975, Billy Packer replaced Tom Hawkins as the lead analyst and called the Final Four with Curt Gowdy."

That is a Social Phenomenon I guess. I had the same wonderment as you.

Last edited:
@Bert Higginbotha do you know if richie curtis has the 1975 iu-kentucky elite 8 game?

I met Richie a few years ago at Bert's. Great guy.

• Good Afternoon D-Leagueanites and Lurkers. Hope everyone is well. Get your shots asap!
  • We have had a beautiful Spring Day in Cumming.
  • No Wildlife.
  • Just Lola and me.
  • Our Army Ranger will be moving to Ft. Bragg when his Italian Tour is finished in June. I'm excited about that.
  • That is it.
  • As you were.
  • Carry on.
  • And take care.

Damn! that hurts. NBC was stupid.
Yes they were. Basketball was not a national sport at that time. I remember living in the Tampa viewing area and very few college games were broadcast. While folks in Kentucky watched the Cats on "national TV' we had a local fishing show or local golf during that time period. The general public was not interested n basketball when you had the great outdoors.

The TV station would be flooded with calls from UK fans screaming why no game, but to no avail. But the 1975 game was on and I remember it as well as any game in UK history.

I was getting ready to sit down and enjoy our rematch with Indiana when my wife came into the room and said she told our close friends we would go out to eat with them that afternoon. They called and wanted to go to the early bird special which happened to fall right in the middle of the game. Back then no restaurant showed games on TV. ESPN had not been invented. She had agreed to meet them so I told my wife to call them back and tell them there was no way I was going to leave my house. Tell them a UK game on TV was rare and when it was an NCAA game a .44 pistol couldn't get me to move. I stayed and watched one of the biggest upsets in UK history and watched Bobby Knight eat it. Don't schedule a dinner date during the NCAA tournament, at least not if you want me to attend.

Yes they were. Basketball was not a national sport at that time. I remember living in the Tampa viewing area and very few college games were broadcast. While folks in Kentucky watched the Cats on "national TV' we had a local fishing show or local golf during that time period. The general public was not interested n basketball when you had the great outdoors.

The TV station would be flooded with calls from UK fans screaming why no game, but to no avail. But the 1975 game was on and I remember it as well as any game in UK history.

I was getting ready to sit down and enjoy our rematch with Indiana when my wife came into the room and said she told our close friends we would go out to eat with them that afternoon. They called and wanted to go to the early bird special which happened to fall right in the middle of the game. Back then no restaurant showed games on TV. ESPN had not been invented. She had agreed to meet them so I told my wife to call them back and tell them there was no way I was going to leave my house. Tell them a UK game on TV was rare and when it was an NCAA game a .44 pistol couldn't get me to move. I stayed and watched one of the biggest upsets in UK history and watched Bobby Knight eat it. Don't schedule a dinner date during the NCAA tournament, at least not if you want me to attend.
now....that was a badass post! no idea how the best sport in the world wasnt a natl sport back in the day.

Great story Sawnee. As it happens, I was in Florida too that most unforgettable day -- with Northern Kentucky U. basketball teammates on spring break. We watched the game in a motel room four of us were crammed into. We got more and more excited as the Cats took a lead and held on. We damn near wrecked the place. After the game was over, we all went to one of those multi-story discos in Ft. Lauderdale in those days, Brother Jim's it was called. I was so adrenaline-pumped by the game my usual shyness fell away, and I approached a tall blonde who turned out to be a Florida Gator basketball cheerleader - and SEC hoops fan. I'll leave the story there for now...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT