ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

I eat an apple a day at least five days a week and have since we went to Korea in 2012. I don't feel good unless I eat my apple. I love apple pie and have had dried apples and love those but the Ole Apple off the tree has done me well... In fact a little late today as I usually have my apple by 7AM.
What's your favorite apple? I can't eat an apple unless it is crisp........

Probably nobody interested, but since most people don't know how a lampshade is made, I'll tell you. The most popular type shades today consists of cloth laminated to styrene. I buy it in prelaminated form in rolls 48 inches tall and 125 yards long. I used to buy it semi loads at a time, but now it's a pallet at a time. I have an automatic sheeter. I load a roll of material to the sheeter and set it for number of sheets and length of sheets. I draw a pattern on the top sheet and staple them all together and saw. We have binding machines that are similar to a sewing machine that attach the patterns to the wire with tape. The next stage is machines that seal the ends together. Then you have stations where shades are trimmed and next you put the protective cellophane around the shade. There are differences for different type shades, but that's the basic idea for the most common shades.
I would love to see this operation.....sounds very interesting........one of my favorite shows is the, How it's made show........

images

BBUK said:
"Kick it a few times. It won't help, but it won't hurt."

If he's barefoot it will.😋

Heh, heh, drink up folks (coffee) I'll be here all morning.

I would love to see this operation.....sounds very interesting........one of my favorite shows is the, How it's made show........
I spaced out for some reason. I said Rent To Own, I meant Rooms To Go in my earlier post.

Aladdin Magical Mantle Lamps - Another quality product from Crownplace Brands, Ltd. (aladdinlamps.com)

We make these for the Aladdin kerosene lamps. Because of the heat from a kerosene lamp, you can't use regular lampshade material. These are from a poster board type material (dulkote). They used to be out of Clarksville Tn, but they sold out to Crownplace Brands in Ohio in 2014. We used to deliver to them in Clarksville on frequent trips to Nashville, making it a business trip. It's a very unique store right in the heart of Amish country in Ohio now, but to far for us to deliver.

My feet are the only thing that doesn't hurt on a regular basis........got to take care of them "dogs".........no kicking big heavy objects......
My feet are what hurts me the most. Could not get much satisfaction out of Reynolds Army Hospital for them so, after much prodding from friends and family and 23 years after retirement, I am using the VA for many problems and started with a psychologist in November, and Audiologist in December. This Friday I have an appointment with a doctor about my feet and one for my shoulders. They do move slowly about appointments but, the PA's at Reynolds always had the same answers: "I don't know what to tell you" I would not go to them for years unless I was really hurting. They did not even do an X-ray for the injury below I received playing softball 2 years ago. Was going for two and the ball was thrown high to the second baseman who was a big man. He went up to get it, I did my Pete Rose into second and he came down on my leg. All they did for me is look at it feel around and ask me when they touched if it hurt. Since I walked in with it I guess they figured I was ok and said it was just badly bruised and if it got worse come back and see me. When I broke my hand back in January 1997 6 months before retiring from the Army it was Saturday on MLK jr weekend so, only emergency doctors were working. Two bones in my right hand were broke in two and my hand looked like it had a pup tent on it. They just did an X-ray, splinted it, gave some good pain relievers and told me to come back Tuesday. Went back on Tuesday and they did another X-ray, gave me more painkillers and sent me home until Friday when they operated to repair it. That was not the only problems I have had with Army medical but, I wont go into that now. My wife wondered why I don't like going to doctors and only go when I have serious problems. I have to use Reynolds because of Tri-care otherwise I have to pay out of pocket. Yes, they can refer out but it takes a lot to do it.

What's your favorite apple? I can't eat an apple unless it is crisp........

I'm with you, if the apple is as crisp as a potato chip I am good. A little softer is okay.

I like a bunch of different apples; (In no particular order but at times I like certain apples the best.) The Red Delicious (A Michigan apple I remembered), I mostly eat the Gala and Fuji apples with a variety thrown in as to if they are as you state; crisp. (Here near the DC/ Northern Virginia area we have an abundance of fresh produce stores; Lotte, H-Mart, LA mart and Fresh World, these are supermarket-like stores and they sell at good prices. (I have a crisper completely full of a couple varieties of apples in my fridge right now as this past weekend we hit all those stores. My Darling and I like to browse these as they are all within a few miles of each other.

About to eat a Fuji apple as I finish this post. (A noisy eating apple, it's a goodun.)

I mostly like sweet apples but I switch off to the sour apples on occasion.

Oh, and may you not eat from the table of Satan to where you take your eye's off the abundance which is Jesus. No need but the Tempter is walking to and fro seeking who he may devour. Stay vigilant and diligently seek Christ in all things. Christ can be found. God Bless you all...

My feet are what hurts me the most. Could not get much satisfaction out of Reynolds Army Hospital for them so, after much prodding from friends and family and 23 years after retirement, I am using the VA for many problems and started with a psychologist in November, and Audiologist in December. This Friday I have an appointment with a doctor about my feet and one for my shoulders. They do move slowly about appointments but, the PA's at Reynolds always had the same answers: "I don't know what to tell you" I would not go to them for years unless I was really hurting. They did not even do an X-ray for the injury below I received playing softball 2 years ago. Was going for two and the ball was thrown high to the second baseman who was a big man. He went up to get it, I did my Pete Rose into second and he came down on my leg. All they did for me is look at it feel around and ask me when they touched if it hurt. Since I walked in with it I guess they figured I was ok and said it was just badly bruised and if it got worse come back and see me. When I broke my hand back in January 1997 6 months before retiring from the Army it was Saturday on MLK jr weekend so, only emergency doctors were working. Two bones in my right hand were broke in two and my hand looked like it had a pup tent on it. They just did an X-ray, splinted it, gave some good pain relievers and told me to come back Tuesday. Went back on Tuesday and they did another X-ray, gave me more painkillers and sent me home until Friday when they operated to repair it. That was not the only problems I have had with Army medical but, I wont go into that now. My wife wondered why I don't like going to doctors and only go when I have serious problems. I have to use Reynolds because of Tri-care otherwise I have to pay out of pocket. Yes, they can refer out but it takes a lot to do it.

My nephew ( a M.D.) has talked a couple of times of the fact that the VA doesn't have very good doctors. Never was quite sure if it was because they really are perhaps the lower end of the med school graduating class or if it was bit of professional arrogance on his part (he's a good guy) in that they weren't working in big, prestigious hospital or private practice.

Happy St. Patrick's Day folks. I'm lucky enough to be married to an Irish beauty from a big sprawling Irish family that came over in her grandfather's generation and settled in New York. Her grandfather became a soldier in the 29th Infantry - the Blue-Gray Division, in WW1, and for years after the war was the unit's historian. Her dad was a lawyer and a union organizer, a gregarious, decent guy but not to be messed with. The whole family is a colorful bunch.

My family, on my maternal grandmother's side, were from Northern Ireland, but had come there as protestants from Scotland -- the Scots-Irish.

In any case, I hope everyone has a great day.

Happy St. Patrick's Day folks. I'm lucky enough to be married to an Irish beauty from a big sprawling Irish family that came over in her grandfather's generation and settled in New York. Her grandfather became a soldier in the 29th Infantry - the Blue-Gray Division, in WW1, and for years after the war was the unit's historian. Her dad was a lawyer and a union organizer, a gregarious, decent guy but not to be messed with. The whole family is a colorful bunch.

My family, on my maternal grandmother's side, were from Northern Ireland, but had come there as protestants from Scotland -- the Scots-Irish.

In any case, I hope everyone has a great day.
Happy St Patrick's Day to all. My Irish blood goes through my dad's side of the family in the form of Ulster-Scots. As we say in America, Scot-Irish.

The early roots were Irish, a little town close to Shannon, Ireland but an incident happened that caused a move to Scotland From Scotland they crossed back into Northern Ireland (Ulster). They were relocated there by the King to bring the Protestant religion to Ireland. One of my direct ancestors was a Presbyterian minister. That did not set well with the Catholics and you know the rest of that story.

From Northern Ireland to America. They first settled in Pennsylvania but the Quakers did not welcome them and in less than a year they drifted down to South Carolina and spread out from there. Once they got to South Carolina they became Baptists. My grandfather let it be known to all, he was Scot Irish and a Scot Irish was not to be messed with.

My mother's folks were genteel people from England. Very soft spoken, deeply religious and placed a strong emphasis on education.

fb8ae23d-a269-4fed-8215-d11769d9aec2-large16x9_1280x720_90307C00YNGUJ.jpg

Happy St Patrick's Day to all. My Irish blood goes through my dad's side of the family in the form of Ulster-Scots. As we say in America, Scot-Irish.

The early roots were Irish, a little town close to Shannon, Ireland but an incident happened that caused a move to Scotland From Scotland they crossed back into Northern Ireland (Ulster). They were relocated there by the King to bring the Protestant religion to Ireland. One of my direct ancestors was a Presbyterian minister. That did not set well with the Catholics and you know the rest of that story.

From Northern Ireland to America. They first settled in Pennsylvania but the Quakers did not welcome them and in less than a year they drifted down to South Carolina and spread out from there. Once they got to South Carolina they became Baptists. My grandfather let it be known to all, he was Scot Irish and a Scot Irish was not to be messed with.

My mother's folks were genteel people from England. Very soft spoken, deeply religious and placed a strong emphasis on education.

fb8ae23d-a269-4fed-8215-d11769d9aec2-large16x9_1280x720_90307C00YNGUJ.jpg
Thanks for sharing that Sawnee. Similar story to my grandmother's family. She kept old family papers back to when they left Belfast in the early 1700's.

The Scots-Irish made much of America what it is, especially the south and Appalachia. You may have already read Jim Webb's book, Born Fighting: a history of the Scots-Irish in America. If not, I recommend it. I was lucky enough to meet Jim a few times over my career in DC. He's the real article. In a different, less PC America, he might have made a strong president.

Thanks for sharing that Sawnee. Similar story to my grandmother's family. She kept old family papers back to when they left Belfast in the early 1700's.

The Scots-Irish made much of America what it is, especially the south and Appalachia. You may have already read Jim Webb's book, Born Fighting: a history of the Scots-Irish in America. If not, I recommend it. I was lucky enough to meet Jim a few times over my career in DC. He's the real article. In a different, less PC America, he might have made a strong president.
That is one of my all time favorite books. I have given about a dozen away as gifts. I could relate to every word in that book. I recommend it to anyone who is Scots Irish.

I agree about Jim Webb. He is like a fish out of water in the Democrat Party. They left him behind many years ago. When he wrote about his Confederate ancestor that ended his career as a Democrat politician. I sure wish there were more of his kind in politics.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 71°F and cloudy. Thunderstorms due within next few hours. Today's high expected at 79°F.

Happy Hump Day

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

happy-st-patricks-day-lettering-with-leprechaun-jumping_74855-152.jpg
I met with Napper Tandy and he took me by the hand
He said: "How's dear old Ireland and how does she stand?
She's the most distressful country that you have ever seen
For they're hangin' men and women for the wearin' of the green"

It is an overcast 54.5°F. The grass is starting to grow, I see a mowing next week. The trees are in full bud.

Anyway, back to St. Patrick's day; I learned that song in grade school. At the time dad had a friend that I called Mr. Tandy. I ask dad was he Napper? Dad laughed and said he was too young to be Napper. I never did know what Mr. Tandy's first name was.

Berniecarbo I enjoy the shade story.

My nephew ( a M.D.) has talked a couple of times of the fact that the VA doesn't have very good doctors. Never was quite sure if it was because they really are perhaps the lower end of the med school graduating class or if it was bit of professional arrogance on his part (he's a good guy) in that they weren't working in big, prestigious hospital or private practice.

I can agree though I have had a couple pretty decent Doctor's here at the DC VA. I CAN nearly tell them what I want to do and they rarely disagree. Not sure if it's because I am right or it is a reasonable request. I DO go to outside doctor's too though as the VA doctor seems to be more concerned with checking a box than actually ensuring you keep living or living longer. Almost like they get "marching" orders to ensure the proper boxes are checked, the heck with the result. (Just my feelings) (I have pretty decent medical insurance so I am not dependent on the VA but I prefer regular visits there.)

Oweeee!

That is one of my all time favorite books. I have given about a dozen away as gifts. I could relate to every word in that book. I recommend it to anyone who is Scots Irish.

I agree about Jim Webb. He is like a fish out of water in the Democrat Party. They left him behind many years ago. When he wrote about his Confederate ancestor that ended his career as a Democrat politician. I sure wish there were more of his kind in politics.
Sawnee - I don't typically do this, but you might indulge me since you are a fan of Webb.

I talked him into doing an interview with a publication I edit a few years back - told him we'd talk mostly about Vietnam. Then I assigned it to a friend of mine, a former ESPN boxing writer but a good journalist.
Here's the interview: (Note his last line.)

Last edited:
Hello,
I will take this time also to mention to all you of Irish-German decent to consider being checked for Hemochromatosis.

It is an unbeknownst early killer of men (mostly)

Edit: People of Northern European descent are more prone to hereditary hemochromatosis than are people of other ethnic backgrounds. Hemochromatosis is less common in people of Black, Hispanic and Asian ancestry.

Last edited:
Good morning D, That's what I like about the D, lots of stories, most of us can relate to! I have made about 15 stained glass shades if that's what you want to call them, but will make no more!!!!

We bought a flat of strawberries as a fund raiser from our granddaughter, soccer player and a good one! They way i understood, they drove to Dover Florida, Berry Boss, waited for them to bring them from the field and drove back home, fresh!!!! We had some this morning on a cinnamon roll!!!! Now I have 6 more cartons to do something with today, start freezing them I guess.

I had a good day detecting, about 3 hours, 4 quarters, 5 dimes and 15 pennies. I don't know why, but nickels are hard to find!!! Going back later with another detector to check again. I have never heard so much metal in the ground in one place!!!

Was reading about apples, I guess Gala's Fuji's and Honey crisp's are my favorite, like them for breakfast with peanut butter!!!

I hope the D, has a great day and Prayers for the D!!!!

Oh my, I have Yankees, Confederates, Drunks, Baptists, Methodist, Catholics, Irish, Scots, English, French, Indians, Jews, Swedes and other bad genes in my family. I don't feel that I am responsible for them.

Why did Jim Webb have to answer for his ancestors actions? Our culture is going to hell in a handbasket.

Another thing is I was always taught that the Yanks were the aggressors and I think that history proves that.

If I had beer for breakfast I'd be worthless for the rest of the day.
Had a roommate in college who would have a PBR every morning. Ugh. I'll drink a brew occasionally but NOT for breakfast.
When I was younger, beer for/with breakfast was a treat. Champagne breakfasts in Germany were a lot of fun. Hitting up a German pub on Sunday mornings at 10 am after opening seemed really awesome.

We all age. Currently, it's difficult drinking at noon during various Cats football and basketball games. Those Guinness Nitro Stouts I plan on drinking early this coming evening are only 4% ABV.

Queue "Mother's Little Helper"....

Going to find out about the VA now but the regular Army PA's/Doc's were not very good to me. Even a dentist in the Army screwed me over. Prior to retiring I had some dental work done and one was a root canal. After getting out I had problems with that tooth and went to a dentist in Lawton OK. He did an X-ray and said there was something in the root and went in and found a broken file used for root canal's. I have not had much luck with military doctors. Heck, once I had a hernia for 5 years when I worked civil service and they said as long as it could be pushed back in I could still work and there was not any real danger unless it stayed hard and could not be pushed back in. It was just above the groin on the left side. Eventually it stayed hard and they referred me to a specialist in Lawton to handle it. I don't like going to doctors or dentist now.

Just put the corned beef, potatoes, carrots, and cabbage in the slow cooker. The Mrs. said she'll make soda bread this afternoon. Not Irish...but it's a once a year type thing. But....have no green on today.

Of course COVID I'm sure has wiped it out in the last two years, but when I lived in the Atlanta area I was always amazed that Savannah, Ga had the second largest St. Patrick's Day celebration behind NYC. Don't know a lot of the history of Savannah. Don't think it has a real Irish heritage like NYC. But, good opportunity for the bars/restaurants to party hardy and make some $$$.

Good morning D, That's what I like about the D, lots of stories, most of us can relate to! I have made about 15 stained glass shades if that's what you want to call them, but will make no more!!!!

We bought a flat of strawberries as a fund raiser from our granddaughter, soccer player and a good one! They way i understood, they drove to Dover Florida, Berry Boss, waited for them to bring them from the field and drove back home, fresh!!!! We had some this morning on a cinnamon roll!!!! Now I have 6 more cartons to do something with today, start freezing them I guess.

I had a good day detecting, about 3 hours, 4 quarters, 5 dimes and 15 pennies. I don't know why, but nickels are hard to find!!! Going back later with another detector to check again. I have never heard so much metal in the ground in one place!!!

Was reading about apples, I guess Gala's Fuji's and Honey crisp's are my favorite, like them for breakfast with peanut butter!!!

I hope the D, has a great day and Prayers for the D!!!!

Sir When I eats apples, I eats apples. When I eats peanut butter, I eats peanut butter....

(Took the cadence of the above from; The Quiet Man ...below...)

jIFFt2.gif

Added the below, just because... ;)

QuUTRk.gif

an-qQK.gif

Marquis of Queensbury rules you know....

Last edited:

Never heard of it. With a last name that starts with an Mc I too probably have roots there. My family never kept good records and, I never knew my family on my father's side. 23andMe has me at a very high percentage (Don't remember how much) Scots-Irish. I will look if up later for I have it somewhere.

Never heard of it. With a last name that starts with an Mc I too probably have roots there. My family never kept good records and, I never knew my family on my father's side. 23andMe has me at a very high percentage (Don't remember how much) Scots-Irish. I will look if up later for I have it somewhere.
It is the type of book you can not put down once you get started. As I read it every paragraph seemed to be describing my family.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT