ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Question for Ky. boys. Ever had dried fried apple pies? Not just fried apple pies....but DRIED fried apple pies? My mom used to make them and I love them. Never made them for years but for whatever reason woke up thinking about them. I would have to get the dried apples first....which there's a little staple store out in the country owned by a German Baptist (Amish) woman and she sells them in 1 pound bags. Might get some here in the next few days.
They must be a Ky thing (Mom from Ky) as in people in Ohio don't know what you're talking about. Even when I lived in Georgia, people there or from Alabama hadn't heard of them.

Have a good one!

I was raised on them. We had two apple trees and, in the fall, we gathered them up cut them up and dried them on the roof of one of the outbuildings. Dad had a box and he put tobacco canvas over the box to keep bus out. Then we put them in jars

They are wonderful.

I was raised on them. We had two apple trees and, in the fall, we gathered them up cut them up and dried them on the roof of one of the outbuildings. Dad had a box and he put tobacco canvas over the box to keep bus out. Then we put them in jars

They are wonderful.
Remember my g'mother in S. Ky. drying them that way...at least on the roof of an outbuilding. Don't know if she used tobacco canvass or not, but may have since everyone around grew it.
My sister when we were teens/college age would dry them for Mom in the rear window of her car. My brother today dries them in his oven with the oven off and the light on.
I bought a dehydrator a few years ago....but not the same at all.

They are wonderful.
My wife fries apples a couple of times a week and we have them for breakfast. Excellent.

Gas prices are going through the roof but back in our days, who cared. We wanted a car that would get up and go. And I mean go. I had a Chevy 409 and would put a dollar bill on the passengers dashboard and tell my date she could keep it if she could get it before I got through 4 gears. Nobody did but I got a very expensive ticket for doing it once. My offense, "starting too fast from a stop". Holy Moley ,Molly.

161050375_2882865885297874_7068222996369833742_n.jpg

Remember my g'mother in S. Ky. drying them that way...at least on the roof of an outbuilding. Don't know if she used tobacco canvass or not, but may have since everyone around grew it.
My sister when we were teens/college age would dry them for Mom in the rear window of her car. My brother today dries them in his oven with the oven off and the light on.
I bought a dehydrator a few years ago....but not the same at all.

I have one and it ain't close. My mom's dried apples were tan/brown. I don't think that the dehydrator builds up heat like a box on a metal roof.

I eat an apple a day at least five days a week and have since we went to Korea in 2012. I don't feel good unless I eat my apple. I love apple pie and have had dried apples and love those but the Ole Apple off the tree has done me well... In fact a little late today as I usually have my apple by 7AM.

Good morning D-League. Hope all is well.

I hated to miss that documentary on the 1978 team last night. I really loved that team and remember that tournament run - the game against FSU where the Cats trailed at the half, the game against Magic and Michigan State, the game against the three excellent scorers at Arkansas and of course the Duke final -- very well.

What I remember about that team that is lost forever is how good Goose was in the mid-range game. Moving without the ball to get open for a 16-foot jump shot would be considered a waste today but he was a master -- that 41 point performance in the finals didn't include a dunk or many layups as I recall.

I always think of that 1978 tournament as marking the divide in my life. Every year up until then, my dad, brothers and uncles would watch the games. I left home that year and watched the games in an apartment in Pompano Beach Florida - I had a pretty local girl to keep me company but it was still a lonely feeling. I invested in a long distance call when it was over to share the moment with my dad...

Hope you all have a good day.

I was one of eight associate pastors at a large church in Southern California at the time. Another of the pastors was a Duke grad who played football there. We were good friends but we nearly came to blows while listening to the game. We had to repent after the game. His tears of repentence were different than mine.

Last edited:
I was one of eight associate pastors at a large church in Southern California at the time. Another of the pastors was a Duke grad who played football there. We were good friends but we nearly came to blows while listening to the game. We had to repent after the game.
Chief, I assume you repented your anger. And hope he repented his stupidity -- for being a Duke fan.;)

Thanks Cord. I'll try to check that out this evening when I get off work. definitely want to see it.

I have DVDs of the Duke and Arkansas games, and an earlier documentary focused just on the tournament that year, so the memories are kept fresh.
You should be able to log in to the ESPN app on Roku(or any like device) and watch it on demand.

Last edited:
Question for Ky. boys. Ever had dried fried apple pies? Not just fried apple pies....but DRIED fried apple pies? My mom used to make them and I love them. Never made them for years but for whatever reason woke up thinking about them. I would have to get the dried apples first....which there's a little staple store out in the country owned by a German Baptist (Amish) woman and she sells them in 1 pound bags. Might get some here in the next few days.
They must be a Ky thing (Mom from Ky) as in people in Ohio don't know what you're talking about. Even when I lived in Georgia, people there or from Alabama hadn't heard of them.
My Maternal Grandmother used to make them. She was still slicing fruit when she was an old old lady. She hailed from Mississippi.

Back in the mid 80's we remodeled the old Bensingers Furniture Store on Market St.......it was my first good sized job to run so I was pretty gung ho......we needed a 100' JLG lift to get to the front cornice........when I called the only thing available was a 80' lift.......The cornice was 92' off of the sidewalk........I built a 4x8 platform on 12' 2x4's with a hole cut in the middle........I would go up as high as it would reach and then climb on top to work......I didn't see any options...........we had liquidated damages on that building and the guy from Actors Theater was a dick.......The same lift broke as I was chaufering the brick layers as they layed out and cut windos in the side of the building.......we was up about 60-70ft and it just broke loose and slid about half way down........we was up there for five hours waiting on the mechanic to fix the nightmare......

OK........It is time to get back up on the proverbial horse........I need 5 nest boxes for my rabbits.......a few days ago.......I guess it is time to get back out to the shop and build them.........I haven't wanted to start the table saw for a few weeks........ 🙄

• Good Afternoon, D-Leagueanites and Lurkers.
  • 40º this morning. 10 less than yesterday.
  • Drizzle all day.
  • OK........It is time to get back up on the proverbial horse........I need 5 nest boxes for my rabbits.......a few days ago.......I guess it is time to get back out to the shop and build them.........I haven't wanted to start the table saw for a few weeks........ 🙄
    You will be more careful this time.
  • Granny would store her dried fruit in cloth bags. Apples and Peaches.
  • She also had Fig trees. She made delicious preserves. I still love those things. I made some a couple of times.
  • We would pick Blackberries and wild Plums.
  • They raised Peanuts for our pleasure.
  • Do you know what a Rolling Store was? Granny would trade hen eggs for stuff that she wanted/needed.
  • I ran into a Whitetail doe this morning. She was having a ball in our Lenten Roses.
  • That is it.
  • As you were.
  • Carry on.

The documentary on the 78 team was excellent.
The first UK team I knew.
Maybe it was because I was a lot younger but those days just seemed different. Fans truly loved that team and knew everything about them. I saw two women argue over the brand of peroxide Jay Shidler used to dye his blond hair.

I sure wish players hung around long enough these days to get to know them as we knew the Joe B teams.

OK........It is time to get back up on the proverbial horse........I need 5 nest boxes for my rabbits.......a few days ago.......I guess it is time to get back out to the shop and build them.........I haven't wanted to start the table saw for a few weeks........ 🙄

Kick it a few times. It won't help, but it won't hurt. Good luck to you.

Maybe it was because I was a lot younger but those days just seemed different. Fans truly loved that team and knew everything about them. I saw two women argue over the brand of peroxide Jay Shidler used to dye his blond hair.

I sure wish players hung around long enough these days to get to know them as we knew the Joe B teams.

The people have changed Sir, not the times. The genuine respect is not there any longer for way too many people. That really comes from respecting yourself first. When a person respects themselves there are TONS of things they will NOT do. It starts with; Self. (Not the ku coach, he ran out of self a long time ago.)

I use a huge band saw daily. It takes a 216" blade. It's a heavy one piece saw built around 1920. I (or employees back when I worked a full crew) have cut over 3 million lamp shades with it over the years.

Probably nobody interested, but since most people don't know how a lampshade is made, I'll tell you. The most popular type shades today consists of cloth laminated to styrene. I buy it in prelaminated form in rolls 48 inches tall and 125 yards long. I used to buy it semi loads at a time, but now it's a pallet at a time. I have an automatic sheeter. I load a roll of material to the sheeter and set it for number of sheets and length of sheets. I draw a pattern on the top sheet and staple them all together and saw. We have binding machines that are similar to a sewing machine that attach the patterns to the wire with tape. The next stage is machines that seal the ends together. Then you have stations where shades are trimmed and next you put the protective cellophane around the shade. There are differences for different type shades, but that's the basic idea for the most common shades.

In the spirit of St. Paddy's Day we'll be watching The Commitments tonight. Tomorrow, The Quiet Man with John Wayne. BBUK will approve although it's a different kind of role for him. Maureen O'Hara looks stunning as always.

The Quiet Man is one of my favorites. I had it playing in the background on my computer before I started reading this post. ;)

Probably nobody interested, but since most people don't know how a lampshade is made, I'll tell you. The most popular type shades today consists of cloth laminated to styrene. I buy it in prelaminated form in rolls 48 inches tall and 125 yards long. I used to buy it semi loads at a time, but now it's a pallet at a time. I have an automatic sheeter. I load a roll of material to the sheeter and set it for number of sheets and length of sheets. I draw a pattern on the top sheet and staple them all together and saw. We have binding machines that are similar to a sewing machine that attach the patterns to the wire with tape. The next stage is machines that seal the ends together. Then you have stations where shades are trimmed and next you put the protective cellophane around the shade. There are differences for different type shades, but that's the basic idea for the most common shades.
I've read several times talking about your business...but I don't remember if you've ever mentioned who your customers are. Wholesalers, retail outlets, etc?

In the spirit of St. Paddy's Day we'll be watching The Commitments tonight. Tomorrow, The Quiet Man with John Wayne. BBUK will approve although it's a different kind of role for him. Maureen O'Hara looks stunning as always.
I've got an 8-pack of Guinness Nitro Stouts locked and loaded for tomorrow after work.

I've read several times talking about your business...but I don't remember if you've ever mentioned who your customers are. Wholesalers, retail outlets, etc?
I just piddle with it these days. It keeps me and Jan busy with a little extra spending money. I don't even look for or want new business anymore. Most of my business is the middleman who uses my shades with their lamps on motels or furniture stores. I've made a few small orders for a Trump property in Miami through a middleman. Through a middleman, some currently go in Rent To Own and Ethan Allen. Before China, I put a lot in Target and a few other name stores and lots of mom and pop stores.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT