ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

• Enjoyed catching up my reading. Liked all of the posts.
  • 50º this morning in the woods. Very nice day going weather-wise.
  • Some wind, but not much.
  • I mentioned in another post about frequently driving through Cairo Il. This is on the Ky side of the river. Murray State University runs it now, but when I was a kid it was "The Ancient Buried City" run by Elvis's future manager Col Tom Parker.

Wickliffe Mounds State Historic Site | Ky Parks
    Ancient Buried City, Wickliffe, Kentucky.

I almost fell off of the Odd Fellow building on Muhammid Ali St. one night......It is across from the Pendinis club.....one of the roof hatches blew off in a storm.......I had to climb out of one hatch and was going to slide down a few feet to put the cover on the one that was half off......the roof had just been painted and I just barely caught the second frame as I slid by.......there was box gutters and they wouldn't have stopped me......I would have been a blob on the roof of the Budget building........it looked like a bobcat had scratched the roof..........I had the red roof paint jammed under my finger nails........we remodeled that building twice and both times I had close calls of falling..........now they want to tear it down........
There's a Hyatt Regency in downtown Atlanta that was opened I think in '67. Beautiful building...revolving restaurant on top...was I believe the first open atrium lobby building....22 stories. Had/has a restaurant in the lobby. Had a buddy who was eating lunch there one day and a woman decided to end it all and took a leap off of one of higher floors (which I don't know). Needless to say my buddy's appetite left him quickly.
712725363_e2801b62ea.jpg

[

This morning's haul. Note the coin located upper-right with the Art Linkletter-looking dude. It's a 20 Belgian (Belgie) Franc piece dated 1980. Some stuff I find simply boggles the imagination.

161059522_10223510343327297_5288316810412297518_o.jpg
The last time I stayed with my daughter in England I walked a bunch......I averaged 15 miles a day.......I never found one coin......ever.............When I came home I kept the walking habit for a while......I would ride to work with the Director and walk home then would walk back down to ride home with her.........I don't think I ever came home empty handed......I always found coins.......look in the expansion strips at road intersections........I find quarters there......I used to tell my grandchildren that......If I could walk 500 miles a day I would get rich with "found" money........

You made me bring out my international coin collection that I haven't looked at in over 20 years. These coins represent every continent with the exception of Africa and Antarctica (obviously). They really need to be cleaned. The far left column are coins from the 1800s with the oldest being an 1840 German Kreuzer. The next column is from the 1910s and then each decade through the 80s. I'm no numismatist but I'm guessing these probably aren't worth much. More of a conversation piece. Please forgive the poor photography.

enhance
Every place we have been fortunate enough to travel to....... I get a full set of their coins......then the buggers changed to the euro.......I have two sets of coins for most places......I bought binders, plastic sleeves and cards for the coins........never got that project done........now that I am not playing music..........some of these projects will probably re-activate.......

Last edited:
There's a Hyatt Regency in downtown Atlanta that was opened I think in '67. Beautiful building...revolving restaurant on top...was I believe the first open atrium lobby building....22 stories. Had/has a restaurant in the lobby. Had a buddy who was eating lunch there one day and a woman decided to end it all and took a leap off of one of higher floors (which I don't know). Needless to say my buddy's appetite left him quickly.
712725363_e2801b62ea.jpg
A child was killed there by the revolving restaurant a few years ago.

Thanks Bert. I agree on all counts. Did you ever read the book 1491? Some of these ideas are part of that author's thesis, applied to the entire hemisphere as it existed just before Europeans arrived. The author talks about how extensively the Indians altered the landscape with slash/and/burn, all over North America. What Europeans assumed were natural rolling prairies had been denuded of forests in many places by Indians creating easier hunting opportunities. If you've never come across the book, I found it illuminating, if a little politically correct: No writer today is going to be blunt or completely honest about Native American culture. Not if he or she hopes to do it as a living.

The book has been ordered.

Geeze, you are a good source of information. But, but but you just cost me $8.00!

I love the D-League. Thanks to Don.

Last edited:
Every place we have been fortunate enough to travel to....... I get a full set of their coins......the the buggers changed to the euro.......I have two sets of coins for most places......I bought binders, plastic sleeves and cards for the coins........never got that project done........now that I am not playing music..........some of these projects will probably re-activate.......
When I used to travel, I'd throw my pocket trash into a drawer when I got back. Eventually I put some of the bills in a frame in a basement den. The 500,000 note is Bosnian-Herzegovina dinars. You can see Somali shillings here, Afghanistan afghanis, Iraqi dinars and Haitian goudes, among others (there should be some Rwandan francs in there and some Zairian zaires but they may be buried in the pile.) By the way, the contents of the frame might be worth $20, converted...

UP%203926.JPG

• No Whitetails. Where are they, Rooster?
  • Enjoy Rooster's train pictures

We've got Google. What intersection.
The book has been ordered.
Geeze, you are a good source of information. But, but but you just cost me $8.00!
I love the D-League. Thanks to Don.
Like this book. You're too square. You can get a copy for as little as 10 bits. Shipping will be 3x that. I heard of him 1st on "To Tell the Truth" with Garry Moore.
<===

Last edited:
When I used to travel, I'd throw my pocket trash into a drawer when I got back. Eventually I put some of the bills in a frame in a basement den. The 500,000 note is Bosnian-Herzegovina dinars. You can see Somali shillings here, Afghanistan afghanis, Iraqi dinars and Haitian goudes, among others (there should be some Rwandan francs in there and some Zairian zaires but they may be buried in the pile.) By the way, the contents of the frame might be worth $20, converted...

A dollar's worth of German currency in 1923.

06mhgdpkew301.jpg

[

The last time I stayed with my daughter in England I walked a bunch......I averaged 15 miles a day.......I never found one coin......ever.............When I came home I kept the walking habit for a while......I would ride to work with the Director and walk home then would walk back down to ride home with her.........I don't think I ever came home empty handed......I always found coins.......look in the expansion strips at road intersections........I find quarters there......I used to tell my grandchildren that......If I could walk 500 miles a day I would get rich with "found" money........

In Korea, I walked a ton, never found as much as a penny.

I usually have good luck finding money. (I won't give away my tricks but., I can tell you all.) I look for bills. Coins I will pick up too. Walk a strip mall or any Walmart parking lot with a decent wind blowing and walk the end where the wind is blowing toward. Several times I find a ten or twenty dollar bill and usually several dollars. A short walk brings in a haul at times... don't believe I have ever taken one of those type walks and not found at least a dollar. (Just the way I have done it.) (If I see you drop it, I will give it back to you. Found a wallet once with a darn name in it. Yeah, if I know whose dough it is I will give it back. ($189.00 too.) I did find three 20's rolled together once in my parking lot walk..a bunch of 5's and 10's (Four to six bills each.) haven't been able to do that in the last year or two.

Thanks Bert. I agree on all counts. Did you ever read the book 1491? Some of these ideas are part of that author's thesis, applied to the entire hemisphere as it existed just before Europeans arrived. The author talks about how extensively the Indians altered the landscape with slash/and/burn, all over North America. What Europeans assumed were natural rolling prairies had been denuded of forests in many places by Indians creating easier hunting opportunities. If you've never come across the book, I found it illuminating, if a little politically correct: No writer today is going to be blunt or completely honest about Native American culture. Not if he or she hopes to do it as a living.
[/QUOTE]

World history is all about one smarter and more powerful group of people taking what once belonged to another weaker group of people (who probably took it from an even weaker group). It can never be made "right."

*The fight over Palestine is a good example of this. Whose land is this?

Someone once said that Europeans taking over the US from the native Americans was inevitable but that the manner in which they did it did not have to be inevitable.

Last edited:
[

England, Netherlands, Denmark and Germany are usually fairly well-kept. Additionally, folks over there use coin purses and take better care of loose change because taxes are so high. In Germany, I've only found a few pfennigs (now cents) over 11 years. Between 1984-2010, I've spent a total of about 3 months in Great Britain. I recall actually finding a few pence on the Felixstowe beach in 2010.

Here in the US, I find loose change nearly everywhere I walk. Today, during my second walk, I found 27 cents. We're talking not only Austin, but also Orlando, Lakeland, Lexington, Louisville, Middlesboro, Harrogate, TN, etc. The differences between Europe and USA are striking.

England, Netherlands, Denmark and Germany are usually fairly well-kept. Additionally, folks over there use coin purses and take better care of loose change because taxes are so high. In Germany, I've only found a few pfennigs (now cents) over 11 years. Between 1984-2010, I've spent a total of about 3 months in Great Britain. I recall actually finding a few pence on the Felixstowe beach in 2010.

Here in the US, I find loose change nearly everywhere I walk. Today, during my second walk, I found 27 cents. We're talking not only Austin, but also Orlando, Lakeland, Lexington, Louisville, Middlesboro, Harrogate, TN, etc. The differences between Europe and USA are striking.
My theory is that Europeans are comfortable with spending and handling coins worth several US dollars, so they develop habits of holding onto them. Americans are much more casual with coins because they have relatively little value.

My theory is that Europeans are comfortable with spending and handling coins worth several US dollars, so they develop habits of holding onto them. Americans are much more casual with coins because they have relatively little value.

The poor and down-trodden in the United States cast away more than many countries poor have. (Yes, I can speak from experience as the living poor once upon a time. My darling and I still live frugally though I am actually just making myself spend more, not that we are well off, but we can go out to eat when we want to (As long as the eatery let's us in...). I still clean my plate and do not waste.

I drive a hand-me-down car inherited from my youngest daughter who my darling and I wanted to have very dependable transportation while we were away in Korea (So we bought her a new one.) and after the hail storm hit in San Antonio when we came back that car was totaled (That I drive now) due to hail damage but DARN the Virginia property taxes are so cheap on that car now with it's salvage title in comparison and it only has 70k on it. I'd hop in it right now and drive it to Texas (Mechanically speaking), (California is not on my horizon or I'd drive it there.) all I'd do is clean the windows first. My darling and I bought a new car for her then and she has since traded that car in on an SUV. (I'm good with the 2012 Mazda 3. My wife drives a much newer Camry.) When we decide to move after I hopefully can retire we will buy something more substantial... Yes I was rambling... This country may be too rich. (That is another subject for another day.) I am thankful.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 51°F and partly cloudy. Today's high should reach 87°F.

Monday, Monday............

Hope y'all are adjusting to Daylight Savings Time okay. Time change is sometimes awkward to me over the first few days. First day of spring arrives next Saturday.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

1714bb28c4c298c5a7f58692d8fd244e.jpg

Possibly, but when Euro debuted in 1999, many large denomination, country-specific coins (e.g. 5 DM, 50 BFG, 10 and 20 FF) went away.

Once, in 1983, I rode a train from Frankfurt to Siegen. During the journey, snack vendor came around pushing a cart. He accidentally dropped 20 pfennings or so on the floor. Dude went out of his way, crawling under seats and asking passengers to move, so he could retrieve two coins worth 10 cents at the time. My opinion is Europeans place a greater priority on waste reduction than Americans. There's a greater sense of civic responsibility.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 51°F and partly cloudy. Today's high should reach 87°F.

Monday, Monday............

Hope y'all are adjusting to Daylight Savings Time okay. Time change is sometimes awkward to me over the first few days. First day of spring arrives next Saturday.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

1714bb28c4c298c5a7f58692d8fd244e.jpg
What is that fruit dessert doing, flipping off all the other fruits?

Possibly, but when Euro debuted in 1999, many large denomination, country-specific coins (e.g. 5 DM, 50 BFG, 10 and 20 FF) went away.

Once, in 1983, I rode a train from Frankfurt to Siegen. During the journey, snack vendor came around pushing a cart. He accidentally dropped 20 pfennings or so on the floor. Dude went out of his way, crawling under seats and asking passengers to move, so he could retrieve two coins worth 10 cents at the time. My opinion is Europeans place a greater priority on waste reduction than Americans. There's a greater sense of civic responsibility.
Yeah, that makes sense Austin. I've seen that trait in Europeans. My wife's stepmother was in the foreign service and back when she and I were first dating the stepmom was working in the US embassy in Bern. Certainly the Swiss were buttoned up pretty tight. Let's just say you weren't likely to see a busted Yugo up on blocks in anybody's yard.

That was the era, though, of the infamous failed social experiment in Zurich at Platzspitz Park -- which became known as Needle Park.

My then-25-year-old future wife and I visited in the early fall of 1990 just before I headed to the Middle East to cover Desert Shield. What a freaking nightmare -- junkies from all over Europe and many from the US shooting up heroin in the open air, or passed out under benches and trees. They shut it down about two years -- and several hundred OD deaths -- later...

On that pleasant note, good morning to the D-League. I hope everyone is doing well and avoiding any local versions of Needle Park.

A good beginning of the work week to all. Cold in the Buckeye state today...high in the 30s with some rain later.

The poor and down-trodden in the United States cast away more than many countries poor have.
Where do the poor all have cell phones, big screens, etc?

Hope y'all are adjusting to Daylight Savings Time okay.
Talked to my oldest son Saturday. He moved to Nashville two weeks ago and he was telling me how Central Time was hard to get used to. Wonder how he feels now?

That was the era, though, of the infamous failed social experiment in Zurich at Platzspitz Park -- which became known as Needle Park.
Also sounds like Seattle and Portland...among others. Give those parks another year or so. One is just down the street from where my step-daughter and her family live. Where her kids used to play.

A good beginning of the work week to all. Cold in the Buckeye state today...high in the 30s with some rain later.

Talked to my oldest son Saturday. He moved to Nashville two weeks ago and he was telling me how Central Time was hard to get used to. Wonder how he feels now?

Also sounds like Seattle and Portland...among others. Give those parks another year or so. One is just down the street from where my step-daughter and her family live. Where her kids used to play.
Colonel, I had no idea we had anything that blatant going on in the US, though I can't say anything happening in Portland surprises me. They'll learn the hard way, eventually. The Swiss thought it was a way to isolate all the drug horror in one park. Of course, it was just a giant magnet sucking in the dregs of society from thousands of miles away.

I saw some similar things along the Pakistan-Afghanistan border in November 2001, outside a city called Quetta. Afghan refugees were smuggling heroin out, and inevitably even in a strict Muslim country, addiction followed.

They isolated it in a CEMETERY there. A photographer and I spent the night there documenting it for a story. That was a long night. Here's a couple of the photos the guy -- Ed Ornelas of the Hearst San Antonio News-Express- took.

Last edited:

Seattle has changed big-time since I lived there in the 80's. There was obviously a homeless problem back then but I didn't hear much about a drug problem. Of course I lived (Des Moines) and worked (Kent) outside the city but spent quite a bit of time weekly inside the city. Work and pleasure.

Good morning D, I would love to see some sunshine!!!!!

I put on a crock-pot of Italian Beef this morning, I like to cut the chuck roast the night before, put all the meat and spices in a freezer bag, let it set all night, then just dump it in the crock-pot early the next morning. Should be done about 2.

I like reading about your lives, it makes my life look like I was kept in a locked room!!! It makes me wish is shoulda, woulda, but I didn't, GOD had my life planned out for me.

I hope the D, has a good one and Prayers for the D!!!!

Colonel, I had no idea we had anything that blatant going on in the US, though I can't say anything happening in Portland surprises me. They'll learn the hard way, eventually. The Swiss thought it was a way to isolate all the drug horror in one park. Of course, it was just a giant magnet sucking in the dregs of society from thousands of miles away.

I saw some similar things along the Pakistan-Afghanistan border in November 2001, outside a city called Quetta. Afghan refugees were smuggling heroin out, and inevitably even in a strict Muslim country, addiction followed.

They isolated it in a CEMETERY there. A photographer and I spent the night there documenting it for a story. That was a long night. Here's a couple of the photos the guy -- Ed Ornelas of the Hearst San Antonio News-Express- took.

Not sure they can or will learn. If politicians continue to bail out cities, states, and companies that have shown poor leadership they will continue to fail. Dems will continue to vote them in and corrupt politicians like it that way.

Seattle has changed big-time since I lived there in the 80's. There was obviously a homeless problem back then but I didn't hear much about a drug problem. Of course I lived (Des Moines) and worked (Kent) outside the city but spent quite a bit of time weekly inside the city. Work and pleasure.
I have seen a lot of people lately advocate to legalize all drug use and we would have less people in prison. I don't see how, most businesses can still make it against policy to have this stuff in your system because it will affect performance and sick days. When people start losing their jobs how do they pay for their now addiction to the harder drugs? Crime. Not only that, in reference to sick days there would be a need for counseling and time off for detox which companies will not pay for either. Who will pay for that? There are other concerns too but, I won't go over all of them here but, the bottom line is I believe we would be worse off.

Socialism never works and it always leads to Communism...

This country wants that "free" stuff and they will do anything to get it including voting for Communists. What happens though, AFTER that free stuff give away to get into power THEN what happens is... they (The Communists) take away that "free" stuff... Then what?...

No guns, no Constitution, no means with which to
"get back" what you had in the first place. This is the ONLY country that has freedom.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT