ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Incredible. I had no idea Illinois had something like this. About all I know about Illinois is flying in and out of Chicago on business and almost getting shot in East St Louis.

That is some beautiful scenery
The far southern part of Illinois is also called Little Egypt. The first settlers thought it reminded them of Egypt. If you look at a map, that portion of the state has lots of cities with Egyptian names, such as Joppa, Karnak, and of course Cairo. I drive through Cairo 2 or 3 times a week delivering to a customer. You would not believe Cairo. It's where the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers meet. You'd think it would be a large city because of location, but it's a total disaster. The bankers in Cairo loaned the money to the people who built Chicago. When riverboats were king, Cairo per capita was the richest town in the USA. There's a street called Millionaire's Row where the owners of the riverboat companies lived. President Grant spent a lot of time there visiting his rich friends. When DC was named our capital, Cairo made the final 5 or 6 cities they chose from. It went down hill over the years, but was still a decent city till the race riots of the sixties. There's probably only 1000 or so people there now. I'll see if I can find some pictures of Cairo.

darwin-award-hes-about-to-get-one-31273916.png

Very True. This just for you. The parsimonious tree based on molecular data, indicates a sister relationship of the Annelids (Earthworms) and Bivalvia (Scallops). Testing the hypotheses on the phylogenetic relationships suggest that the molluscs and annelids form a monophyletic lineage and unites the molluscan taxa to a monophyletic group supporting the Eutrochozoa hypothesis and the monophyly of annelids and molluscs.

All of that is way, way above my pay grade.

But Rooster if you call me a molluscs again you are in deep dodo. :cool:
I had to know what BB was hinting at so while investigating I laughed out loud then read my condensed summery of a couple of published investigations, laughed again and posted the simplified the answer. Not my words but my interpretation. The zoologist in me loves this stuff. BB's nightcrawlers & Sawnee's scallops are apparently biological sisters in the tree of life. The biological terms have Latin roots because the language is a dead one.
3bff9a7fcc4beaabd99081a511ff24cb.jpg

Last edited:
I had to know what BB was hinting at so while investigating I laughed out loud then read my condensed summery of a couple of published investigations, laughed again and posted the simplified the answer. Not my words but my interpretation. The zoologist in me loves this stuff. BB's nightcrawlers & Sawnee's scallops are apparently biological sisters in the tree of life. The biological terms have Latin roots because the language is a dead one.
3bff9a7fcc4beaabd99081a511ff24cb.jpg
I just finished a nice plate of my scallops Alfredo and I must say if night crawlers taste anything like their sister the scallop I might start eating worms. I think they do eat them in Africa.

Any worm eaters on here? I have a yard full of them.

On indians and points: My father in law lived on "Indian Springs" farm. It was outside Cave City about 1 mile. The whole area around here is Karst Topography, i.e. cave country and all the streams are underground.

Behind my father in laws house was a caved in cave. It was 75 feet deep. At the bottom was a spring that came out of the South side of the caved in cave and flowed about 30 feet and went back into the side of the hill. The slab limestone near the south side of the cliff has a large "bowl" shape warn into the stone. This was supposed to be because the Indians wore it out getting the spring water.

In this area, without surface water sources, the Indians collected at the springs. The ground at this Indian springs was covered in flint chips and discarded points. Additionally, it was only a few miles away from "Flint Knob" a good source of flint.

More reading:

Glasgow Daily Times

“Flint Knob” – Famous Indian Rendezvous

MEMOIR No. 2 OF THE LATE H. Y. DAVIS, OF CAVE CITY

Used by permission; Daniel Pike, Editor Glasgow Daily Times (5-5-2014)​

Flint Knob is true to its name as its rock formation is principally of flint. There is no other bump on the face of Kentucky like it. Flint Knob is at the head of Happy Valley, one of the finest bodies of farming land in the State, with a citizenship unexcelled. But Flint Knob is my theme; will talk of Happy
Valley later.

Here is where the Indians found material for their arrowheads. We might say here was located their factory for supplying arrowheads, not only for those who occupied the “Dark and Bloody Ground”, but for all the various Indian tribes South of the Ohio River.

About half way up the knob on the South side, there is a depression, about eight to one hundred and sixty feet wide, through which runs a ravine. Around this depression there were ledges of limestone, like steps, and within this enclosure there might be seen more than one hundred wagon loads of small flint rocks in various stages of development into arrowheads. Here was the factory.

As the Birmingham district in Alabama seems to have been designated by the “Giver of all gifts” as a manufacturing iron-center, by placing iron-ore and coal contiguous, so, He favored the aborigines of this country by providing them an ideal hunting ground and crude material for the manufacture of hunting and war implements, adjacent to each other and only about two miles South and East of the “Old Trace” that led from the Cumberland (Nashville) on the South to the “Old Fields” of the Indians, in what is now Clark County, Kentucky, and on to the Indian towns in Ohio on the North.

Thousands of arrowheads have been found on the farms of this neighborhood, and are, to the day being exposed by the plows quite frequently.

Flint Knob is not only noted for its being the base of supplies for shooting material for the Indians, but when civilization came along, it promised a site of one of the most popular distilleries in all this section of the country. “Uncle” Andy Chapman lived up near the summit of the knob, and near his house a bold spring of water burst through the flint rock, and it was just below this spring that he located his plant for the manufacture of “Mountain Dew.”

“Uncle” Andy’s best was the best that ever tickled the palate or tangled the feet of any man. Being located high on the knob was no bar to the access of the “Low Spirited,” and the return downhill, was much to their advantage. About the close of the Civil War “Uncle” Andy sold out and moved away, and with him went the art of making “Flint Knob Whiskey”. So the people lost interest, being used to the best and they would have no other, and all this country went “dry”.

Just on the opposite side of the knob from the Chapman Place, in the forepart of the last century, lived the most noted Baptist preacher of that day, Jacob Locke. “Father Locke”, as he was called was a power in his generation, and did more than any man of this day to shape the destinies of the people of the Green River and Barren River country for good. Peace be to his ashes.

Later on, on the Locke farm, it is said, Thomas Dickinson, one of the wealthiest and most esteemed citizens of the country, got his start in life. He was the progenitor of the Glasgow Dickinsons who are “making good” as “chips off the old block”.
That’s some fascinating Kentucky history Bert. Thanks for sharing. I used to literally dream of finding one of those spots where points were plentiful, and you could come upon caches with several tools or blades. For me, it was usually hours of hunting through plowed fields or creek banks for a single arrowhead - or often nothing.

It’s amazing how many points are out there still. Or maybe not so surprising. There were hundreds of generations from the early archaic to the late woodland, with maybe a few million people per generation, and who knew how many relics each person owned in a lifetime? That’s many billions of relics spread around.

UTexas Longhorns won the Big XII Tournament Championship. First ever. Wife very happy. Couple seasons ago, many folks thought Shaka Smart might get the ax.

FSU vs GaTech coming up in the ACC championship game. I'm pulling for the 'Noles and Leonard Hamilton, who I'm quite sure y'all remember very well from his days on Joe B's staff.

I just finished a nice plate of my scallops Alfredo and I must say if night crawlers taste anything like their sister the scallop I might start eating worms. I think they do eat them in Africa.

Any worm eaters on here? I have a yard full of them.

If WC is not, he ought to be. I knew of the faint connection but was not positive. If I had to eat a nightcrawler I'd definitely have to have some Alfredo sauce on them.

Oh, I hope all had a great day. I kept up reading but gave all a break today from obtuseville. God Bless you all and may your Daylight Savings time bring you.....more daylight. Have a great day tomorrow and a restful night tonight.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 55°F, cloudy with a light drizzle. Expect today's high reaching around 77°F.

All our clocks except one already switched for Daylight Savings Time. Must set my wristwatch. Gotta love technology.

GaTech beat the 'Noles last night. Bah!

Chores and errands on my agenda today.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

3.14.Potato-Chip-1024-x-768-696x435.jpg

All our clocks except one already switched for Daylight Savings Time.
Maybe the Chinese dropped an EMP North of the Mason-Dixon. Most.of our automated/electronic clocks didn't switch times. First ever that I can remember. Only our phones did the switch. Got a weather station that gets it's time from a gov't atomic/radio wave deal in Colorado...didn't do it. Laptop didn't. Home phone system didn't. Weird. Finally had to 'ask' Google nest (?) and Alexa to see if some little inanimate object sitting here and there in the house could tell me.

But now I'm up to the 'times'.

Everyone have a good Lord's Day....and eat a few chips.

Maybe the Chinese dropped an EMP North of the Mason-Dixon. Most.of our automated/electronic clocks didn't switch times. First ever that I can remember. Only our phones did the switch. Got a weather station that gets it's time from a gov't atomic/radio wave deal in Colorado...didn't do it. Laptop didn't. Home phone system didn't. Weird. Finally had to 'ask' Google nest (?) and Alexa to see if some little inanimate object sitting here and there in the house could tell me.

LOL

And we Spring Forward once again. Our two Senators are pushing bills to eliminate this falling back and springing forward. A total useless thing in a modern world. 95% of us do not need an extra hour to pick our cotton. Two states have it right, Indiana and Arizona. The rest of us are in the dark ages. I know it was started to "conserve energy" but In my opinion DST is one thing Ben Franklin should have kept to himself.

Oh well, the sun is rising in my hometown so all is well.

Good morning D-League. Shortest day of the year -- seems like by law that should be a Monday (I get why that wouldn't work, but still...)

This, of course, used to be one of the best days of the year -- Selection Sunday. May we all be here healthy and excited and arguing over whether the Cats are a 1 or 2 seed in exactly one year.

I hope you all are having a good day so far.

Good morning D-League. Shortest day of the year -- seems like by law that should be a Monday (I get why that wouldn't work, but still...)

This, of course, used to be one of the best days of the year -- Selection Sunday. May we all be here healthy and excited and arguing over whether the Cats are a 1 or 2 seed in exactly one year.

I hope you all are having a good day so far.
It is a strange and sad feeling. Nothing to look forward to on selection Sunday. I feel like one would if the doors were locked and I was forced to spend the night in the yard with the critters. A total loneliness and rejection. College basketball has forsaken us. We are the ugly girl not invited to the Senior Prom. Rejection. Unwanted. We are below ordinary. A bottom dweller.

Since we are left at home without any more basketball and my interest is vanished, I am going to spend the day working outside.

We picked up five Mandevilla plants yesterday, red and yellow that I am going to cultivate on a trellis. These plants love hot weather and full sunshine, I have a spot for them. A sample below. Some people call them Rocktrumpets

20318.Jpg
I had one of them in a 50 gallon pot......I wheeled it in and out of the garage for six or seven years......the bambo trellis I put in the pot for it in rotted off......I have a 5-star cactus that a good friend brought back from Arizona 45 yrs ago........I'm getting too old to be moving these pots in and out...........

That’s some fascinating Kentucky history Bert. Thanks for sharing. I used to literally dream of finding one of those spots where points were plentiful, and you could come upon caches with several tools or blades. For me, it was usually hours of hunting through plowed fields or creek banks for a single arrowhead - or often nothing.

It’s amazing how many points are out there still. Or maybe not so surprising. There were hundreds of generations from the early archaic to the late woodland, with maybe a few million people per generation, and who knew how many relics each person owned in a lifetime? That’s many billions of relics spread around.
The current theme on American Indians are that they were these perfect peace loving folks who took care of their world and lived lightly on the land. Of course none of that is true as they were involved with wars against every other tribe in their area and they altered the land to their benefit as much as they could.

Here is an article about the Barrens (Barren County was named after). Europeans first thought the area to be arid and not as productive until they found out that the Indians set it on fire ever spring. The Indians set it on fire because it was easier to hunt deer, elk, bears and other small game in a clearing than dense forest.

It is a boring read but very informative.

I had one of them in a 50 gallon pot......I wheeled it in and out of the garage for six or seven years......the bambo trellis I put in the pot for it in rotted off......I have a 5-star cactus that a good friend brought back from Arizona 45 yrs ago........I'm getting too old to be moving these pots in and out...........
Yep, me too. My shop and garage are filled with plants all winter. I am tired of hauling them in and out, but Sherry throws a fit ever time I mention getting rid of them.

Everyone have a good Lord's Day....and eat a few chips.
Nobody can eat just one........ ;)

Yep, me too. My shop and garage are filled with plants all winter. I am tired of hauling them in and out, but Sherry throws a fit ever time I mention getting rid of them.
Last Fall I put 37 X-large pots in the garage........every year the Director drags in more pots and more plants......I told her when she mentioned it was almost time to get them out........"when the mules ears are hanging down...... it means he is wore out"......

LOL

And we Spring Forward once again. Our two Senators are pushing bills to eliminate this falling back and springing forward. A total useless thing in a modern world. 95% of us do not need an extra hour to pick our cotton. Two states have it right, Indiana and Arizona. The rest of us are in the dark ages. I know it was started to "conserve energy" but In my opinion DST is one thing Ben Franklin should have kept to himself.

Oh well, the sun is rising in my hometown so all is well.

Hee hee. :cool:

Whoa! I was never afraid of heights and I used to climb as high as I had to as long as I had something sturdy to hold onto. I'd have never ventured onto something like that on my worst day. That is ludicrous, beautiful BUT, ludicrous....
I almost fell off of the Odd Fellow building on Muhammid Ali St. one night......It is across from the Pendinis club.....one of the roof hatches blew off in a storm.......I had to climb out of one hatch and was going to slide down a few feet to put the cover on the one that was half off......the roof had just been painted and I just barely caught the second frame as I slid by.......there was box gutters and they wouldn't have stopped me......I would have been a blob on the roof of the Budget building........it looked like a bobcat had scratched the roof..........I had the red roof paint jammed under my finger nails........we remodeled that building twice and both times I had close calls of falling..........now they want to tear it down........

The current theme on American Indians are that they were these perfect peace loving folks who took care of their world and lived lightly on the land. Of course none of that is true as they were involved with wars against every other tribe in their area and they altered the land to their benefit as much as they could.

Here is an article about the Barrens (Barren County was named after). Europeans first thought the area to be arid and not as productive until they found out that the Indians set it on fire ever spring.

It is a boring read but very informative.
Thanks Bert. I agree on all counts. Did you ever read the book 1491? Some of these ideas are part of that author's thesis, applied to the entire hemisphere as it existed just before Europeans arrived. The author talks about how extensively the Indians altered the landscape with slash/and/burn, all over North America. What Europeans assumed were natural rolling prairies had been denuded of forests in many places by Indians creating easier hunting opportunities. If you've never come across the book, I found it illuminating, if a little politically correct: No writer today is going to be blunt or completely honest about Native American culture. Not if he or she hopes to do it as a living.
[/QUOTE]

D, A few days ago the discussion of skin tags came up and someone posted they had used Hempvanna. The question is, when I read the box, it said do not use around the eyes, whoever posted it, did you use it around your eyes? Sounds like a really stupid question!
Yes sir.......I used it on one on my eye lid.......if you will read the instructions I think it said to not get it on mucous membranes...........I held a little pc of paper towel below it so it wouldn't leak into my eye......I would just swipe the brush off before applying it......I am about 16-18 weeks into using it......I used it several times a day.....for several weeks.....the skin where the tag was is still scaly but the tag is just a memory.....I did get some in my eye a few times......burns like hell...........a drop or two of eye wash neutralizes it very fast.........I understand tying them off to get rid of them but I wanted the doggone thing off of my eyelid.......it was causing my eyelid to droop.......and it didn't appear to quit growing.........I am ugly enough without any extra embellishments.......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT