ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

My brother in law died a few years ago and his request was not to be buried in a suit. He never wore a suit or a tie to my knowledge but was always dressed neatly with freshly ironed long sleeve shirts. When we laid him to rest he was wearing blue jeans and a monogramed UK dress shirt. All neatly pressed.

That is who he was in real life and the way we remembered him.
I started wearing a suit when I joined the Masons......I wear one when it is appropriate......but only then...I told the wife and daughter......when I die I have no wishes on how to treat me.........I told them to do what ever their conscious will let them get by with....

Last edited:
Well from a properly dressed Bert:
328660_105276149587978_1402051695_o.jpg

Good morning. It is 34.2°F and partly cloudy here on our way to a predicted high of 49°.

I suppose that the Cats have two more games. Maybe they can win a couple in the SEC Tourney. I wonder who will return to try to right the ship.

Your photo made it into GYERO, Bert. Congrats.

I told my wife to burn me. I hope that is the only burn I get in the after life. It is cheaper and quicker. As with Gods word, upon our death the silver cord parts from the body and returns to the father who made it.
I started wearing a suit when I joined the Masons......I wear one when it is appropriate......but only then...I don't the wife and daughter......when I die I have no wishes on how to treat me.........I told them to do what ever their conscious will let them get by with....

My wife and I will be cremated. Saves money, allows for time to do a memorial ceremony et.al.

I often think that I do not even want a memorial service; however, after I die I don't think that I will be able to determine if I have one or not.

My ex-brother in law died a couple years ago and when we finished the funeral I told my wife that I did not know Cookie at all based on all of the abject lies said about him. That is when I started to think about no service at all.

My wife and I will be cremated. Saves money, allows for time to do a memorial ceremony et.al.

I often think that I do not even want a memorial service; however, after I die I don't think that I will be able to determine if I have one or not.

My ex-brother in law died a couple years ago and when we finished the funeral I told my wife that I did not know Cookie at all based on all of the abject lies said about him. That is when I started to think about no service at all.

I too will be cremated. I have requested no memorial service. My immediate family are the only ones within thousands of miles around here anyway I visited the cemetery in Middlesboro where all of my family is buried. Ran into an old friend who works at a funeral home and he said more people get cremated than buried anymore.

Even a simple cremation where they just deliver your body and burn it (takes 1-3 hours, depending on weight) and give the ashes (about 8 lbs) in a cardboard box costs more than $2000 where I am these days. Most funeral homes farm out the cremation to some centralized crematorium. Now you know.

Last edited:
Even a simple cremation where they just deliver your body and burn it and give the ashes in a cardboard box costs more than $2000 where I am these days. Most funeral homes farm out the cremation to some centralized crematorium.
Has always amazed me how much funerals are. Know a guy who owns a funeral home, and I'll just say he's doing quite well.

I'll never forget, while in college (we were I think Sophs, maybe Jrs) had a friend who went home one weekend. It was either his b'day or it was right around it. Came back on Sunday afternoon and came over to see me. Said "I've got something to show you'....so we went outside. There sat a brand new Jaguar XKE (think that was the two seater with the long sloping hood). B'day gift from parents. They owned either 2 or 3 funeral homes.

Since death (and suits) is the macabre subject, good way to commit suicide (for anyone so inclined after being declared terminal):

Weigh yourself down with weights under your bulky clothes.

Go out on the ocean on a big boat (day trip, cheap), sign in, and jump off when no one is watching.

1. No opportunity to back out once you jump.
2. Can't be rescued.
3. Painless (I assume)
4. No mess to clean up or death scene for which to horrify anyone
5. No funeral expenses
6. Easy for family to procure death certificate

*Since we are honest folks here in the D, leave a suicide note so no fraudulent lawsuit or insurance claim can be made.

I remember reading a magazine article years and years ago about people who attempted suicide but failed (if you can call still living 'failed'). Interviewed a bunch of people who jumped out of buildings, bridges, etc. A couple who had jumped off Golden Gate Bridge. And as I recall, they all said the same thing. They wanted to die for various reasons. Get it over with. Tired of whatever was making them tired. But....they all said that when they took the leap and were on their way down....they wished that they hadn't done it and wanted to live. Go figure.

Since death (and suits) is the macabre subject, good way to commit suicide (for anyone so inclined after being declared terminal):

Go out on the ocean on a big boat (day trip, cheap), sign in, and jump off when no one is watching.

2. Can't be rescued.
3. Painless (I assume)
5. No funeral expenses

*Since we are honest folks here in the D, leave a suicide note so no fraudulent lawsuit or insurance claim can be made.
You cut your heirs out of life insurance money......as suicide nullifies most policies.........I told the Director if she finds me in the garage electrocuted from working on the panel box that is her sign that I had a terminal illness...That way she gets the double indemnity on the life policy....since I accidentally got shocked......I guess the regular way of scratching and clawing to keep from dying is OK......but I see no need to empty the coffers before I go........

George Beverly Shea...

If I am anything, I can attest to "How Great Thou Art"...

Oh, May God's greatness infect your living... Bless you all and may God create in you (and me) a clean heart...

I went to DC today to pick up my new laptop and turn in my old one. All went well. I had an encounter I will not mention now but, suffice to say; "How Great Thou Art"....

2. Can't be rescued.
3. Painless (I assume)
5. No funeral expenses

3. I'd be surprised if drowning in the ocean would be painless.

You cut your heirs out of life insurance money......as suicide nullifies most policies.........I told the Director if she finds me in the garage electrocuted from working on the panel box that is her sign that I had a terminal illness...That way she gets the double indemnity on the life policy....since I accidentally got shocked......I guess the regular way of scratching and clawing to keep from dying is OK......but I see no need to empty the coffers before I go........
I've wondered several times in the last year how much $$$ Rush spent on his treatment(s). I seem to recall years ago him talking about how he didn't have personal insurance...that he paid (would pay) out of his pocket. Think he talked about it several times over the Clinton and Obama years of national healthcare.
A year of normal cancer/chemo treatment would, I imagine, be a fortune. Plus I think early on he was involved in some new, perhaps experimental treatment.

I've wondered several times in the last year how much $$$ Rush spent on his treatment(s). I seem to recall years ago him talking about how he didn't have personal insurance...that he paid (would pay) out of his pocket. Think he talked about it several times over the Clinton and Obama years of national healthcare.
A year of normal cancer/chemo treatment would, I imagine, be a fortune. Plus I think early on he was involved in some new, perhaps experimental treatment.
Rush had an estimated net worth of 600 million at the time of his death. Treatment is certainly expensive but I think he had enough to cover the costs.

3. I'd be surprised if drowning in the ocean would be painless.

I guess, putting your head in a bucket of water for a bit and trying to take a breath or two (Have someone with you.) may cause some who contemplate jumping in an ocean to end it all, will cause them to gain pause. Drowning is painful. (Maybe not a long pain but not being able to take in air, only water will bring you to a realization of where you do not want to be.

At 10 or 11 years old I was invited to a pool party. I jumped in the pool to have fun. I couldn't swim. (Never even thought about that.) My childhood friend whose Dad passed away a month or so ago pushed me back to the edge of the pool. Yeah, I was in over my head. (Probably the first of many areas where I jumped in over my head.) In any event to this day I will never forget that feeling of wanting to breath and sucking in only water....

Last edited:
I guess, putting your head in a bucket of water for a bit and trying to take a breath or two (Have someone with you.) may cause some who contemplate jumping in an ocean to end it all, will gain pause. Drowning is painful. (Maybe not a long pain but not being able to take in air, only water will bring you to a realization of where you do not want to be.

At 10 or 11 years old I was invited to a pool party. I jumped in the pool to have fun. I couldn't swim. (Never even thought about that.) My childhood friend whose Dad passed away a month or so ago pushed me back to the edge of the pool. Yeah, I was in over my head. (Probably the first of many areas where I jumped in over my head.) In any event to this day I will never forget that feeling of wanting to breath and sucking in only water....
I have been there and done that.

Going to set this discussion out D, lost a brother to drowning in a boating accident. You guys cannot even imagine the feeling of not being able to breath while drowning, if not by the GRACE of GOD and someone grabbing my hunting coat at the last second, I wouldn't be here with my friends in the D!!!

Bless you brother...... sir....

I'm down with going out like Nelson Rockefeller.

I'd just as soon avoid going out like his son, Michael Rockefeller.

Last edited:

I'd rather stay me. Those were some searchers....

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Nelson Rockefeller ranks among my all-time greatest cult-figure heroes. That dude was an awesome, albeit somewhat disconnected evil genius. Major respect. I view him in the same highest regard as Howard Schnellenberger. Like Frank Sinatra said, "I did it my way". Supposedly, Matthew McConaughey's father, Jim, a former UK football lineman under Bear Bryant before transferring to Houston, went out the same way as Rocky.

I had no idea about Rocky's son. Yikes! Horrible way to go.

Last edited:

2. Can't be rescued.
3. Painless (I assume)
5. No funeral expenses

I'd rather have fun one last time as I plummet towards the end. Jump off of a really tall building and enjoy the momentary freedom of flight.

Buzz kill.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Nelson Rockefeller ranks among my all-time greatest cult-figure heroes. That dude was an awesome, albeit somewhat disconnected evil genius. Major respect. I view him in the same highest regard as Howard Schnellenberger. Like Frank Sinatra said, "I did it my way". Supposedly, Matthew McConaughey's father, Jim, a former UK football lineman under Bear Bryant before transferring to Houston, went out the same way as Rocky.

Yeah.... "What's on the menu today.....uh....what'd you say? Me???"

Yeah, I actually read that book about Michael Rockefeller. He was in New Guinea hunting for “primitive art” for a museum in New York. His small boat’s engine stalled. He was an accomplished swimmer so he made the dubious decision to swim to shore. The other guy with him stayed with the boat and was fairly quickly rescued. Rockefeller was never seen again. But the journalist who wrote the book uncovered some government records that showed investigators had interviewed local tribesmen right after the disappearance who admitted catching him and cooking him up for a snack.

Last edited:
Good morning from ATX. Currently 51°F and partly cloudy. Expecting 68°F for our high.

Gamecocks vs Cats, 12 noon, at Rupp Arena today. Hope this team ends the season on a positive note. A win might certainly provide this team some momentum heading into the SEC tournament.

I'm heading out in a few for a dozen breakfast tacos. Wife also ordered a large sweet tea.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

R6777c7eb50adb7b1e9fc0b1f228616ed

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT