ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Good morning from ATX. Currently 51°F and partly cloudy. Expecting 68°F for our high.

Gamecocks vs Cats, 12 noon, at Rupp Arena today. Hope this team ends the season on a positive note. A win might certainly provide this team some momentum heading into the SEC tournament.

I'm heading out in a few for a dozen breakfast tacos. Wife also ordered a large sweet tea.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

R6777c7eb50adb7b1e9fc0b1f228616ed
I just had some doughnuts (a weekend only treat)....but dang, that looks good.

Isn't McConaughey's brother quite the character? Never seen without a beer in his hand....and named his son after brand name beer?
Rooster McConaughey? [laughing]. He's a hoot, and a very successful one at that. My wife's cousin knows him. He has a son named Miller Lyte and daughter named Olympia.

Has always amazed me how much funerals are. Know a guy who owns a funeral home, and I'll just say he's doing quite well.

I'll never forget, while in college (we were I think Sophs, maybe Jrs) had a friend who went home one weekend. It was either his b'day or it was right around it. Came back on Sunday afternoon and came over to see me. Said "I've got something to show you'....so we went outside. There sat a brand new Jaguar XKE (think that was the two seater with the long sloping hood). B'day gift from parents. They owned either 2 or 3 funeral homes.
It really does cost a lot of money to die. About 20 years ago I was offered a grave site in the Pioneer Section of Sylvan Abby Cemetery in Clearwater, FL. My place of birth was Clearwater. To be buried in the Pioneer Section you have to be a direct descendent of a pioneer family. My g-g-grandfather, William Taylor, has the first grave in what is now Pinellas County, FL. He arrived as a pioneer before Florida was a state. I decided to buy them and it turned out they were the last two available. I paid what I thought was a large amount of money at the time but recently I was offered 4 times what I paid for them.

In addition to the grave sites we decided to go ahead a pre-pay our funeral expenses so our children would not have to be burdened with that once we leave this earth. I found it is much better and much cheaper to have that taken care of before death because some families will go overboard during their time of grief. So my wife and I have a settled mind when it comes to leaving this earth as all is taken care of, including the preacher's fee if there is one. If still alive, one of my kin folk will do the honor so he better not charge a dime. LOL I would recommend you pre arrange and do it early in life because the expenses go up every year. Including the cost to cremate. Our grave site is just to the right of my g-g-grandparents pictured below.

21129073_118797676005.jpg

Well today is the last game of the year for our miserable basketball team. It can't come soon enough. I want this season buried and forgotten about.

We are playing the worst team in the SEC so there is no excuse not to win this one. Better luck in the future Cats. You have a lot of work to do to uphold that Gold Standard we all talk about. So Calipari start earning your millions and coach your team to a win every once in awhile. Is that too much to ask for the Head Coach of The University of Kentucky basketball team?

In addition to the grave sites we decided to go ahead a pre-pay our funeral expenses so our children would not have to be burdened with that once we leave this earth
My mother in law is 87 and not in real good health, so she may not be around for too long. A real sweet lady and we help her out all we can. She was married to a fairly worthless guy, so she has little in life. We supplemented her monthly income for years after he died...and was happy to do it. He in their later years got them in some financial problems, which we helped them get out of, but they had to refinance their home. After he died, I wanted to buy it, but the Mrs wouldn't let me.

So when her time comes, we'll be paying for all of her funeral arrangements. The Mrs has a sister, but like a lot of families, she's not a bad person but just selfish. So we already know that she won't help...so it's all on us.
But it doesn't bother me (yet LOL...haven't wrote all the checks yet). She's a good lady and we're blessed in that we can afford it....but you wouldn't want to have to do it more than once (or maybe twice).

I guess, putting your head in a bucket of water for a bit and trying to take a breath or two (Have someone with you.) may cause some who contemplate jumping in an ocean to end it all, will cause them to gain pause. Drowning is painful. (Maybe not a long pain but not being able to take in air, only water will bring you to a realization of where you do not want to be.

At 10 or 11 years old I was invited to a pool party. I jumped in the pool to have fun. I couldn't swim. (Never even thought about that.) My childhood friend whose Dad passed away a month or so ago pushed me back to the edge of the pool. Yeah, I was in over my head. (Probably the first of many areas where I jumped in over my head.) In any event to this day I will never forget that feeling of wanting to breath and sucking in only water....
Sadly, at that same age, I did the very same thing at a pool party(wanting to have fun). The father of one of the other kids pulled me out. I too will not forget that feeling.

My mother in law is 87 and not in real good health, so she may not be around for too long. A real sweet lady and we help her out all we can. She was married to a fairly worthless guy, so she has little in life. We supplemented her monthly income for years after he died...and was happy to do it. He in their later years got them in some financial problems, which we helped them get out of, but they had to refinance their home. After he died, I wanted to buy it, but the Mrs wouldn't let me.

So when her time comes, we'll be paying for all of her funeral arrangements. The Mrs has a sister, but like a lot of families, she's not a bad person but just selfish. So we already know that she won't help...so it's all on us.
But it doesn't bother me (yet LOL...haven't wrote all the checks yet). She's a good lady and we're blessed in that we can afford it....but you wouldn't want to have to do it more than once (or maybe twice).
I have had the responsibility of having to pay for funeral expenses for relatives. In my case (s) it was a person who had made poor choices in life. But it was family so you do what you have to do.

If one can afford it, I would highly recommend a person have all of the funeral issues paid for and resolved before that day comes. And it will come. We are all going to die and one can rest assured it will cost a lot more money to see you out of this world than it cost to bring you in it. Let those left behind have one less thing to worry about once you are gone, a financial burden is one of the worst things a survivor will have to face if not prepared.

I love sweaters. Have a ton of them. But hardly ever wear them. Makes sense huh?
Guess because I wear casual to working clothes during the week in case that on the spur of the moment I go to the basement or whatever and start working on something. Don't really want to slop paint with a nice sweater on....and in too big a hurry to change.

Me and one of my other 3 brothers paid for my mothers funeral. My 2 sisters did not help either so, out of 6 siblings it was just the 2 that actually had saved enough money to do so. The other 4 have not really prepared for retirement or anything else for that matter and my stepfather took the money that had been set aside for a funeral for my mother out of the prepaid funeral arrangements without our knowing. He has always wasted and squandered money all of his life which is why I put my mother on my bank account so she could draw money when she needed and she did but only in dire needs. It took a toll on my savings and I could not for a long time put money into a 401K. I had also helped my step father out with money on several occasions after my mother died but, he kept using it for other things than what he needed so, I cut him off. He has since moved in with his son (my half brother) after I refused to allow him to move in with me. His son has gambled everything he has had in the past with 2 trips a year to Vegas along with trips to the river boats in Louisville about once a month. Recently (I have posted this before) He received $13k from the property my step father lived on before moving in with him. I owned it since I had now been paying on it and taxes for quite a few years now. I gave most of the money from it to my brother who had been keeping it up and did the leg work for the sale. He gave a larger chunk to my half brother because of the trailer my stepfather owned on the land. Not long ago my half brother called and said that his father was getting worse (85 now) and what were we going to do about the funeral. I said burn him and he said he does not want that so, I told him he was on his own. After all, he did get $13k for the trailer.

It is 34.0°F and sunny in Smiths Grove. We are supposed to top out at 52°.

I bought 10 lots in the Smiths Grove Cemetery. I have already given four of them away, but that is why I bought so many.

I wrote the latest ordinance on the cemetery because they are expensive and folks try to do things to make them more expensive as they want benches at 45 degree off from the monument etc.

When I became Mayor there were 17 massive species trees in the cemetery. Every spring they would do thousand of dollars damage to monuments etc. One hickory tree has actually grown around an old monument. It cost $1,000 to "carve" it out after we cut down the tree. Through arm twisting and a bunch of votes we got rid of them. Now there are specific species of trees that can be planted in the cemetery but only in specific areas when they can't do damage. I raised over $100,000 for the improvements, work on the chapel, paving more of the roads. Plus I talked my neighbor out of more land for future needs on the North end of the cemetery; he deeded to the city just before he died.

We also had to increase the cost of the lots as city folks will fill it up even though they have no connection to our area.

Smiths Grove Cemetery is 203 years old. There are 3,519 burials so far. It cost $800 each time it is mowed. But I am a Cemetery lover.

Here is our chapel after we reworked it:
CEM2147660_135593037810.jpg

That big tree was one of the last to be removed as we had to take it out limb by limb.

Most of the original folks buried there came from the Western part of Virginia to claim land warrants from fighting in the revolution.

You all might recognize this name:
83391790_132683411385.jpg

Last edited:
Good morning D League. The talk of funerals made me recall the days when some people still got buried on family ground on their property in some parts of rural Kentucky. When I was 15, and just barely able to be considered one of the men in the family, I was pressed into duty to be a pall bearer at my great aunt Blanche’s burial way out in rural Bracken County.

The house was on some crumbling backroad and the burial plot was a little fenced in area down a stone path past a barn and on the edge of a wood lot.

It was blowing snow that day, the ground was covered and the stone path was slick as snot. Blanche was a sizable woman and I remember being desperate not to slip and drop my part. But it all went well and was a moving - and mercifully short - ceremony.

I wish people were still laid to rest that way, on family ground.

Good morning D League. The talk of funerals made me recall the days when some people still got buried on family ground on their property in some parts of rural Kentucky. When I was 15, and just barely able to be considered one of the men in the family, I was pressed into duty to be a pall bearer at my great aunt Blanche’s burial way out in rural Bracken County.

The house was on some crumbling backroad and the burial plot was a little fenced in area down a stone path past a barn and on the edge of a wood lot.

It was blowing snow that day, the ground was covered and the stone path was slick as snot. Blanche was a sizable woman and I remember being desperate not to slip and drop my part. But it all went well and was a moving - and mercifully short - ceremony.

In Kentucky you can be buried on your farm. There is an acreage restriction, but it is as low as three acres or something like that.

We still are moving folks from farm burials to the Smiths Grove Cemetery. It is interesting to see how reactive the soil in Warren and Barren counties is. After 100 years the soil is darker where the body was and sometimes the shoe souls are still in tact or a pelvis part. Also it is incredible how often people were buried with their gold rings.

Edit: Here are some of what was the Higginbotham Buckingham cemetery where my great and great great grandparents are buried:
131757969_3528166583965567_6143937060036804366_o.jpg

It has been cut off from easy access by the creation of Mammoth Cave National Park.

It is 34.0°F and sunny in Smiths Grove. We are supposed to top out at 52°.

I bought 10 lots in the Smiths Grove Cemetery. I have already given four of them away, but that is why I bought so many.

I wrote the latest ordinance on the cemetery because they are expensive and folks try to do things to make them more expensive as they want benches at 45 degree off from the monument etc.

When I became Mayor there were 17 massive species trees in the cemetery. Every spring they would do thousand of dollars damage to monuments etc. One hickory tree has actually grown around an old monument. It cost $1,000 to "carve" it out after we cut down the tree. Through arm twisting and a bunch of votes we got rid of them. Now there are specific species of trees that can be planted in the cemetery but only in specific areas when they can't do damage. I raised over $100,000 for the improvements, work on the chapel, paving more of the roads. Plus I talked my neighbor out of more land for future needs on the North end of the cemetery; he deeded to the city just before he died.

We also had to increase the cost of the lots as city folks will fill it up even though they have no connection to our area.

Smiths Grove Cemetery is 203 years old. There are 3,519 burials so far. It cost $800 each time it is mowed. But I am a Cemetery lover.

Here is our chapel after we reworked it:
CEM2147660_135593037810.jpg

That big tree was one of the last to be removed as we had to take it out limb by limb.

Most of the original folks buried there came from the Western part of Virginia to claim land warrants from fighting in the revolution.

You all might recognize this name:
83391790_132683411385.jpg
Thanks Bert for sharing that story and photo of Patrick Henry’s sister’s grave. Interesting for those days that it mentions a husband named Madison but she was buried under her family’s name of Henry.

That area of what was then western Virginia (now W. Va) was where my family was from before coming to Kentucky in the 1700s. There’s a small town out in the Shenandoah Valley named after them - Hedgesville. That town cemetery is packed with the bones of my ancestors.

In Kentucky you can be buried on your farm. There is an acreage restriction, but it is as low as three acres or something like that.

We still are moving folks from farm burials to the Smiths Grove Cemetery. It is interesting to see how reactive the soil in Warren and Barren counties is. After 100 years the soil is darker where the body was and sometimes the shoe souls are still in tact or a pelvis part. Also it is incredible how often people were buried with their gold rings.

Edit: Here are some of what was the Higginbotham Buckingham cemetery where my great and great great grandparents are buried:
131757969_3528166583965567_6143937060036804366_o.jpg

It has been cut off from easy access by the creation of Mammoth Cave National Park.
I looked it up and most states allow burial on your own land but you must first check with local municipalities to find out restrictions and requirements.

Me and one of my other 3 brothers paid for my mothers funeral.
I put my mother on my bank account so she could draw money when she needed
I had also helped my step father out with money on several occasions after my mother died
The older I get, the more I can see this Biblical principle in action. Sometimes hard to see it in your younger years.
Luke 6:38
Give, and it will be given to you: good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over will be put into your bosom. For with the same measure that you use, it will be measured back to you.”

I looked it up and most states allow burial on your own land but you must first check with local municipalities to find out restrictions and requirements.
Out in the country where I live you see quite a few small cemeteries that are fenced off either by the road in a farm field, or in the yard of an old farm house. All of them obviously quite old.

A few miles from us there's a Dunkard (like Amish) family on a farm, and they have a business in one of there barns. The business ... building pine caskets. One time I saw an old fashion Dunkard funeral procession going thru a town near here. Pine casket was on a wagon drawn by a team of horses followed by many horse and buggies. Quite the sight of a reminder of years gone by (but still relevant in some areas)

Thanks Bert for sharing that story and photo of Patrick Henry’s sister’s grave. Interesting for those days that it mentions a husband named Madison but she was buried under her family’s name of Henry.

That area of what was then western Virginia (now W. Va) was where my family was from before coming to Kentucky in the 1700s. There’s a small town out in the Shenandoah Valley named after them - Hedgesville. That town cemetery is packed with the bones of my ancestors.

Hedgesville, WV is interesting. Sherry's "Ritter" side come from Hagerstown, MD.

Yep, most of my folks came from Amherst, Botetourt, Buckingham, et.al. Patrick and Susannah Henry's farm was next to James Higginbotham's farm. In fact James Higginbotham, my 5th great uncle was Patrick Henry's lawyer.

Susannah's husband died before she came to Kentucky. He was Thomas Madison, and died in 1798 in Botetourt, Co., VA. He served as General in the Revolutionary War. His grandparents were Ambrose Madison and Frances Taylor who were also the parents of President James Madison, my cousin. Susannah's brother in law, George Madison, was the 6th governor of Kentucky and was the first to die in office.

The area South of the Green River from Munfordville to the Little Barren River (near Bowling Green) South to the North Carolina line (Tennessee now) was set aside for the Virginia Patriots. That is my area. Plus because of the Indians and British threats that did not end until the end of the War of 1812 they came in groups for protection.

Here is my fifth great grandfathers warrant:
181d7362-97f5-4e5f-89d0-a2a9d44e12b3.jpg

The land was at the border of what is now Barren and Warren county; at the time it was Jefferson County, Virginia.

My wife is from Estill County, KY and they have a family cemetery. Located next to the farm and old home place.

Hedgesville, WV is interesting. Sherry's "Ritter" side come from Hagerstown, MD.

Yep, most of my folks came from Amherst, Botetourt, Buckingham, et.al. Patrick and Susannah Henry's farm was next to James Higginbotham's farm. In fact James Higginbotham, my 5th great uncle was Patrick Henry's lawyer.

Susannah's husband died before she came to Kentucky. He was Thomas Madison, and died in 1798 in Botetourt, Co., VA. He served as General in the Revolutionary War. His grandparents were Ambrose Madison and Frances Taylor who were also the parents of President James Madison, my cousin. Susannah's brother in law, George Madison, was the 6th governor of Kentucky and was the first to die in office.

The area South of the Green River from Munfordville to the Little Barren River (near Bowling Green) South to the North Carolina line (Tennessee now) was set aside for the Virginia Patriots. That is my area. Plus because of the Indians and British threats that did not end until the end of the War of 1812 they came in groups for protection.

The land was at the border of what is now Barren and Warren county; at the time it was Jefferson County, Virginia.
Very rich heritage Bert. It is nice you have all of the family records preserved. A blessing

Out in the country where I live you see quite a few small cemeteries that are fenced off either by the road in a farm field, or in the yard of an old farm house. All of them obviously quite old.
When I was about 13 or 14, my father and I used to go quail hunting with a couple bird dogs almost every Saturday of hunting season.

It was getting hard to find coveys Of quail in Bracken County so we’d walk for miles down valleys cut with little streams where there was no sign people had ever lived. One day we just happened on an old family cemetery plot, about a dozen head stones from the 19th century. No sign of any abandoned homes or structures, just the graves. My dad who’d grown up there said he had no idea anyone had ever lived down in that hollow where we were. After a couple minutes we just moved on, but it gave me an eerie, lonely feeling I still remember.

When I was about 13 or 14, my father and I used to go quail hunting with a couple bird dogs almost every Saturday of hunting season.

It was getting hard to find coveys Of quail in Bracken County so we’d walk for miles down valleys cut with little streams where there was no sign people had ever lived. One day we just happened on an old family cemetery plot, about a dozen head stones from the 19th century. No sign of any abandoned homes or structures, just the graves. My dad who’d grown up there said he had no idea anyone had ever lived down in that hollow where we were. After a couple minutes we just moved on, but it gave me an eerie, lonely feeling I still remember.
That is like the Higginbotham Buckingham family cemetery I showed a picture earlier. It is basically cut off from the world because of the creation of Mammoth Cave National Park and what was Park Mammoth resort.

To get there takes an off road vehicle and a long drive up the Dripping Springs Escartment. It is not on any current maps or anything.

I spend a lot of time documenting things on "FindAGrave" web site. It is connected to Ancestry.com and is a wonderful way to document thing like that old cemetery.

Very interesting stuff Bert. Thanks for sharing. My family was originally from Maryland, not that far from Hagerstown, around Frederick. Then they moved into western Virginia, where that town of Hedgesville is located. One of my ancestors was a captain in the Virginia militia. If you ever get to the museum in Maysville, Kentucky you'll find this small exhibit about the town's founding:

That Captain John Hedges had a brother named Joseph who followed a few years later down the same path to what was then Limestone (which his brother had named) then into the Kentucky interior, where they settled in what became Bourbon County. Joseph Hedges was my direct ancestor, down my father's line.

Very interesting stuff Bert. Thanks for sharing. My family was originally from Maryland, not that far from Hagerstown, around Frederick. Then they moved into western Virginia, where that town of Hedgesville is located. One of my ancestors was a captain in the Virginia militia. If you ever get to the museum in Maysville, Kentucky you'll find this small exhibit about the town's founding:

That Captain John Hedges had a brother named Joseph who followed a few years later down the same path to what was then Limestone (which his brother had named) then into the Kentucky interior, where they settled in what became Bourbon County. Joseph Hedges was my direct ancestor, down my father's line.

I love it.

Maysville, Kentucky. A wonderful place. "Where the reeds were". One name that comes to mind is Simon Kenton. What a hero.

Have you read "The Frontiersmen" by Allan Eckert, a wonderful read? All Kentucky State parks sell his wonderful books even though he is from Wisconsin!

I love it.

Maysville, Kentucky. A wonderful place. "Where the reeds were". One name that comes to mind is Simon Kenton. What a hero.

Have you read "The Frontiersmen" by Allan Eckert, a wonderful read? All Kentucky State parks sell his wonderful books even though is is from Wisconsin!
I have read that Bert, and also his book “The Dark and Bloody River.” You’ve probably read that as well, but if not I recommend it.

Technicality:

If it is attached to a church, it is a graveyard.
If unattached to a church, it is a cemetery.

Way back yander, friends and neighbors used to band together and dig the grave. I did it a few times.

I remember a neighbor that was relatively young dying. Man weighed 350-400 pounds. His grave was on a hillside with no paths and it took about a dozen of us to tote his casket up to his gravesite.

Just curious with all this history talk. I attended a one room school house in first grade. 8 grades in one room. Anybody else?

Bernie, we have some old guys on here, a few real old guys. But hardly any real, real, real old guys.

I lived about a mile from a two-room school but didn't attend there. It was in the county and I lived barely inside the city limits. And by barely I mean the last house inside the city limits. My catty-corner neighbor had to attend a county school.

Last edited:
Just curious with all this history talk. I attended a one room school house in first grade. 8 grades in one room. Anybody else?
There's still a number of one room school house buildings around us out in the country. Unfortunately they kind of disappear one by one as the years go by. Most are empty. I'd love to have one...fix it up.
There's one not too far from us. Was a one room school house back in the late 1800s. The, when the school moved out (maybe 30s or 40s) the old fashioned Dunkards (German Baptist/Amish) took it over and that's where they had church up until about 4 years ago. Really neat to go by when they were having service...probably 50-75 horse and buggies parked on the grounds. Then, about 4-5 years ago they moved out and a guy bought it and turned it into his home. Really neat what he did with it. Beautiful inside. Added on a small section on the back and an attached 2 car garage that both look like they were built in the 1800s too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT