ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Good morning D, Beautiful day here in the Berg!

Update this morning, He is doing better, lots of pain but they are saying it is because of the tube, once it is out he should be more comfortable. He had to have a transfusion last night but the said it did exactly what they wanted it to do. They are wanting he to be up and walking by noon today, also they are hoping to remove all the wires. So it sounds all good!!!! He wanted me to thank the D for all your prayers!!!

Hope everything goes well for you today BBUK, don't know what you do for a living, but it sounds like you have done great!!!!

Update on the Southwest Chicken made with Bacon-Cheddar Cheez-it crackers, it did exactly what I thought it would, added a nice bacon flavor to it!!! It's funny, the lady down the street that we watch over, my MOM'S best friend, DOES NOT like chicken, so I talked her into just trying it, so she agreed to try it, she called me later on that evening and told me to please add it to her menu now!!!!! Still can't get her to try broccoli though!!!!

I hope the D, has a great day!!!! Prayers for the D!!!!

2068342.gif

Last time I interviewed for a job I was 57. Civil service, where they couldn't discriminate because of age. Came out on top with the civil service exam that 75 of us took (obvious humble brag). Aced the interview and got the job that I really liked and rode it all the way to retirement.

Interviews in your mid fifties for any job not civil service, for which you did not have special qualifications, was a joke and waste of time which you knew going in.

By the way, that interview was the last time I ever put on a suit. Haven't worn a suit for more than twenty years. I haven't even put on long pants for well over a year.

Short version of a joke from last night

Bus load of politicians has a wreck, when the state police get there a farmer had already dug some holes and buried a few. The Trooper ask him, did you check and make sure they were deceased? He said, well I ask a few of them and the said they weren't, but you know politicians, you can't believe a word they say!!!

Last time I interviewed for a job I was 57. Civil service, where they couldn't discriminate because of age. Came out on top with the civil service exam that 75 of us took (obvious humble brag). Aced the interview and got the job that I really liked and rode it all the way to retirement.

Interviews in your mid fifties for any job not civil service, for which you did not have special qualifications, was a joke and waste of time which you knew going in.

By the way, that interview was the last time I ever put on a suit. Haven't worn a suit for more than twenty years. I haven't even put on long pants for well over a year.
My last job that I took, other than political, was May 1968 when the L&N railroad offered me my career.

I interviewed with the C&O/B&O in October 1983 and got the job but turned it down, then with the Union Pacific in December 1991 and got the job but turned it down. Both of those instances were simply to prove to my company that I was wanted. They topped the offers from the competition so I was happy.

I wear suits often even though I really don't have to. I was a Commissioner for 6 years and Mayor for 4 years: I viewed it as a requirement to "dress - up" to show respect for the job. I never go to a funeral or viewing without a suit. It is a way of showing respect.

Of course my 32 years at the railroad I wore a suit every day, it was required. After a while it is easy to dress up. I still have five suits lined up in the closet!

My last job that I took, other than political, was May 1968 when the L&N railroad offered me my career.

I interviewed with the C&O/B&O in October 1983 and got the job but turned it down, then with the Union Pacific in December 1991 and got the job but turned it down. Both of those instances were simply to prove to my company that I was wanted. They topped the offers from the competition so I was happy.

I wear suits often even though I really don't have to. I was a Commissioner for 6 years and Mayor for 4 years: I viewed it as a requirement to "dress - up" to show respect for the job. I never go to a funeral or viewing without a suit. It is a way of showing respect.

Of course my 32 years at the railroad I wore a suit every day, it was required. After a while it is easy to dress up. I still have five suits lined up in the closet!
Maybe I've mentioned this before, but the house we moved into when I was 4th grade, that Mom lived in for 50+ years (Dad died in '85), our next door neighbor was the retired head/CEO of Frigidaire. Had been retired for a number of years. Wore a suit everyday. Would even work out in the yard in it....minus the coat....but would still have on the tie.

Maybe I've mentioned this before, but the house we moved into when I was 4th grade, that Mom lived in for 50+ years (Dad died in '85), our next door neighbor was the retired head/CEO of Frigidaire. Had been retired for a number of years. Wore a suit everyday. Would even work out in the yard in it....minus the coat....but would still have on the tie.
Habits. Maybe bad habits but that is what we do.

As a preacher I wore a suit on Sunday and for funerals, weddings, etc. But I didn't wear one through the week. I don't think I've been to a church since I've been here in AZ that the pastor has worn a suit. Even a lot of professionals don't out this way. I had a pastor in Indiana that wore dress pants and a white dress shirt while playing softball. I never saw him out of a suit otherwise.

Don't wear or own suits except one now. Only suit I ever had prior to Army retirement was the Dress Blues. After that, when my mother died I bought my first ever suit and wore it to her funeral. Have since put it away and not really sure where. No plans on wearing it again.
Same here. I own just one suit. Heh, still have my dress blues stored out in the shed.

Same here. I own just one suit. Heh, still have my dress blues stored out in the shed.
Have my blues stored in a hallway closet. Wore them last in 2006 at one of my son's weddings when he was an active Marine. He requested I come in my blues (Which still fit then) and I had to get a hair cut and shave my beard off because as you know you can wear them to functions even after retired but, you must meat 670-1 standards to do so. Still have them ready for wear:

Have my blues stored in a hallway closet. Wore them last in 2006 at one of my son's weddings when he was an active Marine. He requested I come in my blues (Which still fit then) and I had to get a hair cut and shave my beard off because as you know you can wear them to functions even after retired but, you must meat 670-1 standards to do so. Still have them ready for wear:

Looking good. I last wore mine in November, 1996 to a dining-in. Highly doubtful they still fit.

Haven’t caught up and read much, I’m exhausted. Been trying to be there for my mom, who needs constant monitoring for awhile. But on the subject of suits, which is about all I’ve gathered so far, don’t own one. The ones who own military “suits” have my utmost respect. Thanks all. I mean that. Look around at what this country is becoming . And the ones who made it special, are being basically spit on like some who returned from Vietnam, and other wars. I never served. Went back to the family farm after school and worked, alongside my dad, who did serve, for over 40 years. But back to suits, have told my wife several times. Don’t bury me in a “suit”. Those are reserved for the ones who let me wear jeans all my life. Bury me in jeans. She swears she will, sooner than later.

Afternoon D, just wanted to pass along the last report I got, they have moved the young boy into a private room.
GOD IS GREAT!!!!

Stretched my legs today, walked 3 miles. Hope I sleep good tonight!!! Trying to get in shape for metal detecting season!!!

Hallelujah!

Oh, I do hope all your days were well used. My prayer is for, you to have a peaceful night's sleep to where you wake up thankful.

On another note,
My interview today went very well in my estimation. (I have been a hiring manager) (That has been a large part of my job this past year anyway.) and have hired 7 people since January for my office,(I didn't have final approval authority but all my final recommendations were hired.) I have been through the interview process many times on both sides of the table and in between. I am being objective.)

Yes there are things I remembered after the fact that I wanted to talk about and didn't but I think I effectively showed my worth in the positions I have been in (Past and present). Also where I could be an asset to them now...

In any event my interview panel consisted of two Army Colonel's, an SES (Senior Executive Service), and a large contract firm President (That through me for a loop.)

This panel seemed to consist of the areas I'd be interacting with regularly (Another first for me that I wasn't interviewing with agency only leadership. (I am quick on my feet in the reactions department (I don't rattle easily) and when they were introducing themselves they gave me the information I just mentioned. This was a Microsoft Teams meeting so we were as face to face as is possible. There names and titles were published to me in the Teams meeting and they also gave me a short background of who they were and their interactivity functions.

I had 12 questions and about an hour and ten minutes with them. I had a couple cheat notes but I am very comfortable in my capabilities and abilities. I know what I can and cannot do. I interacted very well going by their body language.

I stated all that to state this... Who knows. BUT, I sure did enjoy this interview and it did keep me seriously on my toes and I think I rose to the occasion... They will of course pick who they want, that's the name of the game but I think I gave them pause to think if they already had someone else in mind which is very often the case BUT, I don't think so in this type of situation. (Just a feeling...)

I'd normally never go into this type of detail but this was a unique situation and I wanted to share it.

My Grandson has been doing well so far in day care his first week. He was even coloring my workbook for me this evening. (Ouch but no harm, it is my scratch notes notebook and only used by me.)

I have to drive to my DC office in the early AM to pick up my new laptop and turn in my old one. Sigh.... That's twice this year!

Oh and another thing; I crawled under houses for twenty years and worked labor intensive jobs for much longer than that. I do not mind dressing business casual or even business proper. I wear my jeans but do not mind at all wearing nicer garments. (jmo)

Bless you all...

Last edited:
Haven’t caught up and read much, I’m exhausted. Been trying to be there for my mom, who needs constant monitoring for awhile. But on the subject of suits, which is about all I’ve gathered so far, don’t own one. The ones who own military “suits” have my utmost respect. Thanks all. I mean that. Look around at what this country is becoming . And the ones who made it special, are being basically spit on like some who returned from Vietnam, and other wars. I never served. Went back to the family farm after school and worked, alongside my dad, who did serve, for over 40 years. But back to suits, have told my wife several times. Don’t bury me in a “suit”. Those are reserved for the ones who let me wear jeans all my life. Bury me in jeans. She swears she will, sooner than later.

Bless you brother and your family!

BS (Before Suits)

Maria, a maid, asks her boss for a raise.

Her boss is annoyed and asks, "Now, Maria, why do you think you deserve a raise?"
Maria: 'Well, there are three reasons why I want an raise. First, I iron better than you.'
Wife: 'Who said you iron better than me?'
Maria: 'Your husband said so.'
Wife: 'Oh.'
Maria: 'The second reason is that I am a better cook than you.'
Wife: 'Nonsense, who said you were a better cook than me?'
Maria: 'Your husband did.'
Wife: 'Oh.'
Maria: 'My third reason is that I am a better lover than you..'
The wife is obviously upset: 'Did my husband say that ?'
Maria: 'No, the gardener did.'
Wife: 'So, how much do you want?'

I used to wear jeans everyday but, one day after seeing the commercial for the Duluth Flex Firehouse pants I decided to buy a pair and I was hooked. Those are the most comfortable pair of pants I have ever worn (I have 20 pair). Then I tried the shirts, armachillo underwear, socks, and dry on the fly pants and shirts. The only other thing I wear now other than Duluth is UK shirts and hats and a few PC incorrect country and God promoting shirts. My jeans are in storage. Haven't wore a pair of jeans in about 4 or 5 years now.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 57°F and partly cloudy with light winds from the south. Winds picking up this afternoon from the north as another front moves in. Today's high topping out at 81°F.

Happy Friday! It's been another long week.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

National-Cheese-Doodle-Day-.jpg
Well, I know what I am snacking on today.

Last edited:
I used to wear jeans everyday but, one day after seeing the commercial for the Duluth Flex Firehouse pants I decided to buy a pair and I was hooked. Those are the most comfortable pair of pants I have ever worn (I have 20 pair). Then I tried the shirts, armachillo underwear, socks, and dry on the fly pants and shirts. The only other thing I wear now other than Duluth is UK shirts and hats and a few PC incorrect country and God promoting shirts. My jeans are in storage. Haven't wore a pair of jeans in about 4 or 5 years now.
Good 'end of the work week' to all. Then, in about 8 hours or so you get to have another weekEND.
For the retirees it's a weekend everyday. The days get mixed up some....they can all be the same.

I wear jeans but I don't really enjoy them. Didn't have a pair for probably 15 years during my career, then my 'ex' bought me a pair but I only wore them to dig, mow, etc in. Then when it got hot they'd go in the closer till cooler weather.
Even when working in the yard, etc I would rather wear khakis. Just cooler and more comfortable. Mow/work with a pair of khakis and a nice Tee or golf shirt. My 'bro kids me that I'm the best dressed yardman he's seen.

Warrior, think I'll try Duluth. Been years since I've looked at their stuff.

But back to suits, have told my wife several times. Don’t bury me in a “suit”. Those are reserved for the ones who let me wear jeans all my life. Bury me in jeans. She swears she will, sooner than later.

My brother in law died a few years ago and his request was not to be buried in a suit. He never wore a suit or a tie to my knowledge but was always dressed neatly with freshly ironed long sleeve shirts. When we laid him to rest he was wearing blue jeans and a monogramed UK dress shirt. All neatly pressed.

That is who he was in real life and the way we remembered him.

Good 'end of the work week' to all. Then, in about 8 hours or so you get to have another weekEND.
For the retirees it's a weekend everyday. The days get mixed up some....they can all be the same.

I wear jeans but I don't really enjoy them. Didn't have a pair for probably 15 years during my career, then my 'ex' bought me a pair but I only wore them to dig, mow, etc in. Then when it got hot they'd go in the closer till cooler weather.
Even when working in the yard, etc I would rather wear khakis. Just cooler and more comfortable. Mow/work with a pair of khakis and a nice Tee or golf shirt. My 'bro kids me that I'm the best dressed yardman he's seen.

Warrior, think I'll try Duluth. Been years since I've looked at their stuff.
More expensive than most but durable and comfortable for me.

My brother in law died a few years ago and his request was not to be buried in a suit. He never wore a suit or a tie to my knowledge but was always dressed neatly with freshly ironed long sleeve shirts. When we laid him to rest he was wearing blue jeans and a monogramed UK dress shirt. All neatly pressed.

That is who he was in real life and the way we remembered him.
I told my wife to burn me. I hope that is the only burn I get in the after life. It is cheaper and quicker. As with Gods word, upon our death the silver cord parts from the body and returns to the father who made it.

"Remember your Creator before the silver cord is loosed, or the golden bowl is broken, or the pitcher shattered at the fountain, or the wheel broken at the well. Then the dust will return to the earth as it was, and the spirit will return to God who gave it. (NKJV) Ecclesiastes 12:6-7"

Good morning D-League. I hope all is well with everybody. And I hope people in Kentucky or with families there are safe from the flooding.

The little town where I grew up is dealing with it, but my immediate family - parents and siblings -- are high and dry.

Here's a bad iPhone photo a friend sent me of the road going out of town -- not the only way out, thankfully. You can't tell much, but there's a bridge over a creek at the low point completely under water, as is the road.

We had floods several years when I was a kid. People dried out their houses and stores and went on. The only really bad one was 1964. Half the town got washed away in that, and a few people never could salvage their property. What I remember, as a third grader, was that we had to line up, K-through-12, and get three typhoid fever shots in the weeks after. I didn't mind so much, but there were kids for whom that was a major trauma they still talk about.

A lot of things are changing in UK basketball. Reading RR a poster pointed out we are in danger of losing our bragging rights to all time wins. Kansas is breathing down our neck and we are only 5 ahead of them.

Kentucky 2326
Kansas. 2321

Since Calipari became UK coach in 2010 Kansas has 12 more wins that we do. That surprises me but I do not pay much attention to other teams. Our Gold Standard team is tarnished and somebody better get out the polish and correct this debacle.

More expensive than most but durable and comfortable for me.
Yes, they are. There's not a store close to us (one in Columbus) and I hate, hate, hate (did I say hate yet) buying clothes over the internet. I'm the feel it, touch it, try it on kind of guy. But I may.
Years ago used to buy a lot of stuff from L.L.Bean which of course back in the day was 'mail-order'. But sizing was more true back then....a L or XL or 36x32, etc were the same pretty much everywhere. With most of the clothing being offshore now, there's no telling what the actual size will be when you get it.

Knew a guy (RIP) who owned a very large clothing mfg in South America who make clothes for a lot of top name brands here in the U.S. Asked him one time if the sizing wasn't true anymore because a foreign country uses a bit different standards for the size, or if it was because their men/women were smaller (shorter, slimmer, etc) than Americans. He said 'no', they make to the standards presented by the American company and that they were all cheapening their product to save money...but charging the same or more.

Well from a properly dressed Bert:
328660_105276149587978_1402051695_o.jpg

Good morning. It is 34.2°F and partly cloudy here on our way to a predicted high of 49°.

I suppose that the Cats have two more games. Maybe they can win a couple in the SEC Tourney. I wonder who will return to try to right the ship.

Good morning. It is 34.2°F and partly cloudy here on our way to a predicted high of 49°.

I suppose that the Cats have two more games. Maybe they can win a couple in the SEC Tourney. I wonder who will return to try to right the ship.
Great look there Bert!!!! I just hope we get out of this submarine we are in!!!!!

That is a man who looks like he is ready to run for governor. I would probably move to Kentucky just to vote for you.

Good morning D, I had thought about metal detecting today, but dang it's cold out dare!!!!!

Great news this morning, they took a chest x-ray this morning and everything was good! Tubes will be coming out about 9. In his grandfather's words "if he will walk, walk, walk and eat better today, they may get to come home tomorrow!!!! Also in his words, Cord, tell your friends on the D, they could feel your prayers and can't thank them enough!!!!! Thank you D!!!! From Cord!!!!

My son has started wearing those Duluth pants, also said they were the best pair of pants he has ever put on!

Fingers have healed up, time to make them bleed again and grind some glass since it is cold!!!

Had a great afternoon with Mrs. M yesterday, she got off early so we got some things done, plus we got in a good walk before having a good Mexican meal, I had a Chimichanga, but the best thing was when she said this meal is probably not fattening!

I hope the D, has a great day, praying for the D and thanks for your prayers!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT